MAB1 Armored Flame Review

reviews (3) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
MAB1 Armored Flame Reviewed by: Dylan Greive, on october 06, 2008

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: My Guitar Teacher

Features: It was made in 2008. It was made in Korea. 24 frets. 25-1/2" scale. Nice thin neck. It's very fast. The guitar has got jumbos on it. It has a solid top. The body and neck are made from Alder. It's got a custom "ArmorFlame" graphic. The body style is almost like a Strat. It has got a deeper cutaway for reaching the 24 fret. The tremolo is an origal Floyd Rose. Active EMG pickups. It has got a volume and a tone knob. 5 way Switch. The pickup config is HSH. EMG 85 (neck), EMG SA(middle), EMG 81(bridge). The tuners are Grover tuners, non locking. It came with the original Dean case. It came with all the tools you need to adjust everything on the guitar. // 9

Sound: My music style varies from heavy rock to heavy metal. It suits it perfectly:D. I'm using a Fender FM65 with a Zoom G2.1U multi-effects pedal. It is not noisy at all. The neck pickup gives high output with some full mellow tones. The middle pickup gives really good clean sounds. The bridge pickup has very high output and can produce some nice metal tones. It is suitable for styles from rock to the heaviest styles of metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it via my guitar teacher and he setted up the guitar. He told me that the action wasn't very high nor very low. The OFR was setted up really poorly. The pickups weren't adjusted very bad. The neck wasn't really straight set up from the factory. I had no flaws on the guitar when I got it. When he finished setting it up it was really perfectly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will definitely withstand Live playing. The hardware will last forever. The strap buttons are a little bit small, so straplocks will help. MAB uses it troughout his Europe tour so I think I can really depend on it. The finish will not wear off. Trust me. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play things from AC/DC to Metallica. I'm playing for almostly 2.5 years now. I also do own a Fender Koa Strat. Zoom G2.1U and a Fender FM65 amp. If it would been stolen I would murder the guy Who did it:P. I especially like the EMG's. I don't hate anything about the guitar. I compared it to an Ibanez s 5470. But this one was much much better. // 10

MAB1 Armored Flame Reviewed by: Almightynikita, on november 09, 2009

Purchased from: Room2rock

Features: First off, I have had this guitar for about a month. This is a solid body electric guitar made in Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets and abalone block inlays. The fretboard wood is ebony and the body is alder, the neck is maple. It has a cool looking 3D armor flame graphic with chainmail. It has a superstrat style body with three active EMGS (81, SA and 85). It has a main tone control and a main volume control and a 5-way selector and nickel hardware. It has an original Floyd Rose and Grover tuners and comes with it's own case and keys. // 10

Sound: I personally find this guitar sounds exremely good. I played it through a Kirk Hammett stack and the EMG pickups sold it. Currently I use a Boss ME-50 and usually a wide variety of amps from Line6, Roland and the ocasional Fender (not mine, I just have...connections). Personally I really dig the sound of the 85, it has this full, punchy sound. The 81 is great too but most of the time I'm hooked on the 85. However here the SA disapoints. If you are on clean, and you wish to swtich from one of the humbuckers you lose about 75% of the volume. What is a bit unexpected is that you can get quite a lot of variety from this guitar even though it is at home on the distortion channel. I play anything from metal/rock to the odd blues and jazz. This guitar has more of a mid bright sound, what you'd expect for a guitar that is mainly used for shredding. One hiccup though, the sustain is extremely bad on some parts of the neck and the sound will only stay there for about 3-5 seconds before fading away, I think I will talk to my luthier friend about this. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Hmmm...This ones a bit tricky. Honestly the factory set up was OK, then before handing it over, the shop set it up, thus fucking it up. But thats ok...I can fix things like that. The pickups sit fine and I set up the Floyd Rose. However thank god the guitar didn't come with any major flaws, the paint job was 100% no rusts or bad cuts or anything. However there is an immense amount of fret buzz. I will get it set up by a luthier and if he can't fix it...I'm probably giving it back. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems extremely reliable, obviously I'm not a dumbass so I didn't spend time bashing it around. Due to my careful nature I always bring a back up and the finish is suprisingly thick and won't wear off. The strap buttons are a bit small, which means I probably have to invest in some strap locks. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play anything from metal to blues and although it isn't meant to be extremely versatile it handles different genres well. I've been playing for 2 years on electric guitars and about a year on Acoustic guitarss. I own a custom re-made Yamaha Paciffica 112J (new tuners, pickups re-wiring) and a Acoustic guitar made in the Czech Republic. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, it just costs a tiny bit too much for what it's worth in my opinion. However I really love the WOW factor it has, it's an impressive guitar and I love the EMGS and the neck. I just hate the fret buzz and I'm praying that it will be fixed soon. I compared it to an Ibanez RG 1820X prestige and that guitar had an awesome neck. However I didn't buy it because I felt safer with getting a real Floyd Rose. I didn't think I'd use the Piezos and also I didn't like the stock pickups and maybe if it had DiMarzios on it I would have picked it up in an instant. And also, the WOW factor. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014