MKH Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 04/08/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: MKH
It has a 24 fret beautiful neck 24 3/4 scale mahogany neck and a stunning ebony fingerboard with the Trivium logo over the 11th, 12th and 13th frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.7
 7.5
 7.7
 7.2
reviews (3) pictures (1) 45 comments vote for this gear:
MKH Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2009

Purchased from: PMT

Features: It's A US08 model of the Dean mkh designed by Matt Heafy Of Trivium (and as a plus it used to belong to him! And it's singed) it has a 24 fret beautiful neck 24 3/4 scale mahogany neck and a stunning ebony fingerboard with the Trivium logo over the 11th, 12th and 13th frets. The body is a sold mohogany with an amazing rising sun japanese graphic on it. The bridge is an orginal Floyd Rose which I must say is much better then my licenced floyd. It has only 1 knob for master volume and a 3 way toggle Switch. The pickups are a Dean USA Nostalgia pick up in the neck and Matt Heafy's signature pickup the "MKH86". The tuners are not really a big deal on a Floyd Rose because of the locking nuts. I got a Dean fitted ML case with it. // 9

Sound: The sound is amazing a sharp in the bridge position and sounds great even when heavily destorted. The neck gives a great sound when in clean and when both are on they give an amazing clear sound. Though mainly a heavy metal stlye guitar in the neck position you can get an ok country sound. I use it with a Boss Metal Core which gives off a good sound with some feedback, also it's all through a Marshall stack amp which provides an amazing tone with it. It has an amazing range from Johnny Cash To Metallica. An all round good tone // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is one of the best I have ever played, the only I have seen better is on the Gibson USA VOS. The pickups are perfect and allow easy dive bombs on the floyd. The guitar had no flaws when I bought it and still doesn't it has kept perfect. The Paint looks truely amazing aswell and I am impressed by how easy it is to clean and keep shiny. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live but do use it a lot and it has so far done nothing wrong it keeps in tune no matter how much you play with the floyd and the strap buttons are very secure considering how heavy the guitar is. I have actually knocked the guitar against many things and the paint hasn't even chiped yet and seems to be very strong. I have heard of many problems such as the head stock's spliting or the neck breaking and have as yet to see any signs of any problem on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Ryhthm such as Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet for My valentine And some lead such as Trivium and G'N'R. This is my most expensive peice of equipment and I am in no doubt as to why it is. It far surpasses my other instruments such as my Schecter Synster Standard and My LTD EC-50. If it was lost or stolen I believe I wouldn't want to replace it because as much as I am a fan of this instrument I bought it mainly on the fact that it was a bargin. I love that it has such a powerful sound and feel to it however I do prefer the Les Paul shape to the ML and that is the only thing I'm not a huge fan of (even thought I love the ML shape) The only thing I would actually ad would be a kill-Switch but that is mainly a feature I would enjoy to have since my main infulence in writing is Buckethead Who uses a kill-Switch quite often. On the whole the guitar gives a stunning impression and did from the moument I saw it. I have enjoyed playing it ever since. // 10

MKH Reviewed by: 00mirshahia, on january 13, 2011

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: After owning this guitar for a year this review is not going to be all 10s because frankly it isn't. No guitar is. This is copied and pasted from a site: "Like a unique blast from the past, Matt Heafy's signature model features his band's Trivium logos on the inlays and a unique Rising Sun graphic chosen by Heafy himself. Rock out with specially USA-made Heafy pickups, the MKH86 bridge for modern Killer tones and a "Nostalgia" neck pickup for Vintage metal leads and rhythm tones." Features: Mahogany Body Plain Maple Top 24-3/4 in. Scale Mahogany Neck Ebony Fingerboard Trivium Logo Inlay/Side Marked Frets Grover Tuners Black Hardware Floyd Rose Bridge USA Dean Matt Heafy "MKH86" Bridge Pickup USA "Nostalgia" Neck Pickup // 7

Sound: After a while of getting used to bridge's pickup medium output its great for rythm but I have been able to make the guitar scream. I used a Line 6 Spider III amp. For me, the Neck pickup is by far the best neck pickup I have used in my guitar lifetime. It produces spectacular cleans. About the Variety, I would say it sound better clean than it does distorted, but due to the large shape of the guitar it projects is sound very well, so I'm not going to lie, but you can play almost anything on this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up horribly, due to this, I am probably never going to buy a Dean again. Screws were loose and even missing. The action was fine, but for the bridge pickup one of the screw was loose so it was always at an awkward angle. The fret wire was poorly inserted and when ever I bend the high e string it would catch and would distrupt my playing. There where many finish flaws near the tremelo and on the edge of the neck. Other than those issues, the Floyd Rose is working a charm and after long hours doing the job of the guitar techs who were supposed to do the job I got it sorted but it was a nightmare! // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with the guitar. And it preformed well, I'm not going to complain. The Floyd Rose tuning is working a charm and usually they always let me down. However there seems to be a lot of rust where the tremelo arm is screwed into the hole of the system. So I guess I have to get that fixed. The strap buttons where the only things done correctly with this guitar! But after the few modifications I would say it is gig worthy. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar after the few modifications plays like a charm and sounds very nice, however getting to that stage was a nightmare, after owning many guitars with very high output the bridge pickup was horrible. I have been playing for 4 years now. I'm not a guitar expert but I know a good guitar to a bad one and this is a good one. I own 1 Ibanez, one Ltd, one Gibson and a few acoustics. And word of warning! The guitar is missing a few characteristics which picturse do advertise, like the mother of pearl Dean symbol on the head stock, is just painted on. The fret board look like ebony in the picture, but in real life it looks like rosewood. If it were stolen because I would buy it again however it would be very difficult as it is discontinued because I am a Trivium fan boy and they were the few bands which reaffirmed my Faith to metal. So there is a lot of history between me and the Band. And the guitar looks pretty sexy if I might say so myself. What I love is the 24 frets and how the fret board looks very clean with the lack of fret markers. Which in my opinion is a massive problem. You will soon get used to it and enjoy the look. Other featured is the Floyd Rose which I haven't needed to tune after a heavy workout! Although there are some pros with the guitar, the journey was not very pleasurable and Dean have given me hell. Solution. Don't buy a Dean. // 6

MKH Reviewed by: Trivium1224, on april 08, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: First; Some specs. This guitar is a 2008 Korean made instrument. It has 24 extra jumbo frets. The fretboard has a slights radius to it, and the scale is 24 3/4". The neck is mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. The neck heel features a Custom cutaway. There are dots on the side denoting frets, and a Trivium logo across the 11th, 12th, and 13th fret. The body features a solid maple top with a mahogany body, in the shape of a classic Dean ML. The guitar came equipped with locking black Grover tuners, an original Floyd Rose bridge, two cream colored humbucking pickups, (an MKH86 Signature in the Bridge position and USA Dean Nostalgia in the neck position.) a three way pickup selector, and a volume knob. The guitar came with a Dean hard shell case. // 8

Sound: The main styles of music that I play are metal, hard rock, and pop punk. This guitar doesn't handle soft distortion very well. I play pop punk generally with massive amounts of gain because it sounds good to my ears. Maybe a bit of manning that genre up? I'll go with that. The guitar handles metal and hard rock very well. The Bridge MKH86 pickup is mid to high output and sound very good with a lot of distortion. It cuts through with a lot of treble for chords and single notes and thunders on the bottom end for palm muted runs. The sound could be described as articulate and classy, but with an injection of manliness. Pinch harmonics and higher frets really scream at you and it sounds great. The Bridge pickup, overall, is very good for what I intend to use it for, but would leave much to be desired if you are trying to go for a blues type distortion or a lighter sound. The neck pickup (Dean USA Nostalgia) is mediocre. On heavy distortion, I generally use it for rock solos, fast palm muted runs, tapping, and sweep picking. There is very little treble or high end clarity, so it can get very muddy with a lot of palm muting or fast lower end runs. Higher frets tend to sound muffled, and can get lost if you are not very clean with your playing. Overall, the Bridge pickup is very mediocre. The clean sound of this guitar leaves much to be desired. The Bridge pickup has far too much treble for a good clean sound, and the Bridge pickup has far too much low end. Putting the pickup selector in the middle, with both pickups activated, is the best best for a good clean sound, but even that has a lot to be desired. However, this is somewhat to be expected with a heavy metal guitar. If you want a great clean sound, don't get this guitar. I run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt modeling amplifier. The guitar is very quiet on high gain settings. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory on this guitar was great except for the intonation and the Floyd Rose system. The intonation was slightly out, and the three springs were all attached to the middle peg, so tension was distributed very unevenly. I took it to a guitar shop to have it set up correctly, and after plunking down $40, it was ready to go. The pickups were adjusted well, though I did raise them slightly to get a little more punch out of them. The action is low with a bit of fret buzz, but I usually sacrifice some fret buzz for a lower action. The rest of the hardware seemed to be set up correctly, and the Grover tuners are fantastic. The finish is great, except for a crack on the underside of the neck heel. The finish has stood up to plenty of dinging, and it seems like a very solid finish. It doesn't affect performance, so I haven't given too much thought to it. The input jack has continually come loose, so I've had to tighten that on occasion. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have never played this guitar live, but it does seem to put up with all of the beating I've given it over the past few years, so I believe it would stand up to it very well. It is quiet and articulate, so it would make a great stage companion. The hardware (save for the Floyd Rose) seems to be great, and it would most likely stand up to anything. Unfortunately, the Floyd Rose system has given me nothing but trouble since I got it. The locking tuners don't do their job very well and the guitar falls out of tune frequently. After a year of messing with it, I finally blocked off the bridge, so as to make it a Standard bridge. This has fixed the tuning stability problem, except for the G string. It seems to never want to stay in tune. The tuning stability seems to be the biggest weakness to this guitar. I would definitely bring a backup guitar if I were to play live, because of the tuning instability. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it's a great middle of the road guitar. It's not great, but it's not bad. I love it to death, as it was my first quality guitar, but I have played enough guitar to be able to see it's flaws. It plays my genre of music very well, and I will always be back to pick it up and jam out on it. I have been playing for just over 2 years. This guitar is now out of production, (I got it when it was just out of production for $599.99, I believe it's back up to $1099.99 now) and thus, I would not pay $1100 for it. There are definitely better quality guitars than this in that price range. I am a huge Trivium fan, and that is why I bought this guitar. The Floyd Rose Bridge is low near the palm so I've gotten used to playing on it, so trying to play a normal style high Bridge now is very difficult for me. Overall, this would be a great step up guitar for a beginner, but now, I'd recommend something else, because of the price point. // 7

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014