ML 79 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 11/25/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML 79
The '79 series uses the Series 2 headstock, larger than the time capsule, and has the same look and feel as their predecessors of the seventies.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.9
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 8.8
reviews (7) 52 comments vote for this gear:
ML 79 Reviewed by: Metdude711, on november 29, 2004

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: - Mahogany body and Neck - 24-3/4" scale and 1-11/16" nut - Grover tuners - Chrome hardware - Zebra pickups - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Set neck with access to 22nd fret - Rosewood fingerboard - Dot inlays (mine has trapezoid inlays) - 22 frets - 2 volumes and 1 tone control. // 10

Sound: The distroted sound is very thick and the cleans are immensly rich. It suits my style perfectly (power/thrash/death metal and metalcore) but is also very good for blues although with the shape of it I doubt most people would want to play blues on it. I'm currently running it through a 15w Peavey which gives a very nice bluesy sound. The only downside is that the cleans tend to disort at full volume, which not really a bad thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was set up perfectly. The action was just right and the pickups were in the perfect posistion. It looks absolutely awesome. The only bad thing about this guitar is that the G string has a tendancy to come out of tune while playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing no problem. I probably wouldn't even take a back up. The hardware and finish will certainly last. I've banged this beast on walls, chairs, tables and drum kits and theres not a scratcb or dent in sight. The strap buttons are well sized so theres little chance the guitar will take fall. Only thing to watch out for is the large pointy body. Be careful to look before you turn around. // 10

Overall Impression: After playing for about 2 years I can safely say this is possibly the best guitar I have ever played. Its matches me and my music perfectly. If it was stolen I would hunt the person who stole it down and brutally murder them with a blunt object. Either that or buy a new one. I just wish it had locking tuners. // 10

ML 79 Reviewed by: davezilla, on september 26, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Discount

Features: Bought the guitar used, so I have no clue when it was made. Origin is Korea, 24 fret, rosewood fretboard, grover tuners, stock (passive) pickups, and a standard Les Paul style bridge (no whammy). It came without a case, and these are hard to fit, so I'd recommed making sure to havethe guitar shop furnish you with one. It's worth the extra bucks. // 9

Sound: For the heavy music style I play, this is the best guitar I have. It's also the first foreign one I've owned (I usually only buy US), but I wanted a "kick around" guitar. Well, much to my surprise, this monster sounds way better and plays easier than my Les Paul, Jacksons, and the Kramers I used to have, and it is completely stock! I plug straight in to my Boogie and it rips like nobody's business! It has the typical two humbucker with selector swict, so there's plenty of variety. It sounds good no matter where you put it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent action, great finish, the only problem is it slips out of tune easily. I think the nut needs replaced. Everything works smooth and silky. No rattles, no mysterious noises when cranked up and overdriven. I used and ubused this beast hundreds of times, playing gigs in mosh pit bars and it still rocks and works like a charm, even though it now has a few battle scars. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Awesome! It became my favorite guitar for the heavy stuff. never had a single issue wit the guitar. It's tough as a tank, even survived playing while being in the pit. I have used it in a gig without backup more times than I can count. It's been banged around, bashed, dropped, spilled beer all over it, smacked into a few heads/elbows (doubles as a good weapon), and only has a few nicks in it. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd buy Deans forver if they're all like this one! I play heavy stuff, and can see why Dimebag used these monsters. Been playing for 25 years, and still going. If anything happened to it, I would definitely get another. I chose this guitar, because I only had a hundred bucks to spare at the time and it looked cool, so I thought I'd try it out. // 10

ML 79 Reviewed by: trainwreck666, on october 03, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar was made in china in 2003 and has mahogany body and neck my model is in plain black as that is all the lefties can get, it has a string-thru body and tune o matic bridge. The Pickups are both humbucking deans 2 volume and 1 tone knobs and has grover tuners. The guitar when factory or shop bought comes with a lead plectrum and strap. // 10

Sound: My main style is metal and this guitar is perfect for it, the pick ups clean up really nicely too which is always good. I run the guitar straight into a Line 6 Spider 2 amp and occasionnaly a chorus pedal. The pickups are top quality passive pickups which are good for kinds of music from nothing else matters to Lamb Of God they have high clarity which is really nice and they really squeal when you give them gain to play with. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar off ebay secondhand and the action is perfect I was previously playing an Epiphone Les Paul and the action was not suited to my hands. The hardware is all in good condition cept the rhythm and treble switch has been taken off. As I mentioned before the actions is really nice and if you want to shred on this guitar there is nothing stopping you just yourself. I struggled to learn on a Les Paul but I am picking stuff much faster because of the fact the neck lets you glide. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live duties it has been done already, however I recommend buying a straplock as this guitar will lets you drop it once in a while. When I gigged it before I took a back as I always have done no matter what I am playing but the replacement never left it's stand. The finish is good however the legs of the guitar do have a tendency to scratch off but you don't notice unless your looking for it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned I play metal guitar and this guitar fits the styles great however I would suit other styles as well incuding rock (Foo Fighters and Muse sound great through it) and blues but the appearance doesnt't really suit the style. I have been playing 9 months and I feel since I got this guitar my playig has improved dramatically. If I was to have this product go missing I would kill the thief as this guitar was bought with inheritance money. But if that was not possible I would buy another guitar the same as this. My favourite part of this guitar is the sustain and clear tone as they heavenly when you hear chorus. I the guitar could have one more thing I would like either a flyod rose or better strap pins. But if any is considering a Les Paul or this I own both and this has beaten by Epiphone down in every catagory. // 10

ML 79 Reviewed by: g1asseye, on october 27, 2006

Purchased from: Peter cooks guitar world

Features: Made in korea, this guitar has 22 frets with abalone dot inlays. It is all mahogany with a black finish which covers the whole instrument apart from the fingerboard. The body is the classic V/Explorer ML shape (almost like a 3/4 x). It has a licensed floyd rose bridge with fine tuners. The pickups are standard Dean zebra passive humbuckers. It has a 3 way selector a master tone and a volume knob for each pickup. The package included the whammy bar and allen keys (as you would hope). // 10

Sound: I play hard rock/metal and as I started on a Strat with single coils the sound was not harsh enough for me. I only use it through my practice amp as it is the only amp I own. it makes a slight hiss, but bothing you would hear unless you listened closely for it. The sound is pretty bassy but that is the sound I like. It could be used for pretty much any style but is designed aesthetically for hard rock/metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar the floyd rose bridge was not adjusted properly and was balanced at an angle to the body. so I had to get the backplate off and have a fiddle, but this was easily sorted. The Switch cap on the pickup selector has begun to become loose but Dean are going to send me a new one for free so this is no problem either. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily stand live playing. It's solid as a rock. Just about nothing can damage it (within reason). The hardware is well built and will last. The strap bottons aren't of the locking variety but are once again solid. The finish is also very strong and can easily withstand most bumps. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for the style of music I play (Metallica, trvium and pantera. and as you will notice 2 of those are Dean endorsed). If it were stolen I would definitely buy a new one because the sound is amazing. I love the floyd rose bridge despite the fact it takes time to tune. When I was going to buy this I considered either an Ibanez or a Jackson but the Dean is much tougher and probably more long lasting than both. I wish it had black hardware rather than chrome but changes like that would defeat the point of a reissue guitar. // 10

ML 79 Reviewed by: cursedtothebone, on december 03, 2007

Purchased from: Singapore

Sound: Before buying this baby I heard a lot of bad comments about the Dean stock pickups but when I tested it in the shop through a crappy 15 watt Marshall it sounded awesome, and I daresay better than my ESP LTD EX-50 which has EMGs on it. I'm mainly a metal player, my main influences being Arch Enemy, Trivium, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Mega deth and vice versa thrash bands, and I say it suit's my style perfectly. When using it with a Maxon OD808 through a Vox DA5 it gave me really warm and rich Vintage tones that mahogany instruments are capable of. This guitar is better for players looking for an "older", '80s metal sound, like thrash or classic metal so if you play stuff like Dimmu Borgir or cannibal corpse don't buy this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When buying the guitar the shop's technician helped me set up the guitar for free, and adjusted everything, from the truss rod to the floyd to the pickups. The hardware was slightly rusty, but it wasn't really obvious. Material-wise the guitar was of top quality, and furthermore since this guitar was made in korea instead of china the wood felt better cause usually if you buy chinese products the frigging chinks rip you off in terms of quality when they try to save costs (I'm qualified to say that cause I'm half chink). The guitar was 99% flawless, 1% for the rust. Btw I felt the trem was a bit shoddy cause it occasionally went out of tune so I'm gonna buy an original floyd when I get enough moolah, and change the pickups to Seymour Duncan blackouts. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hell yeah, I used it for a gig in school and won a battle of the bands competition. I didn't even need a backup. The finish is great but it gets dirty easily so if you buy it keep a polishing cloth handy. Like I said before the hardware was slightly rusty, but I'm sure it'll last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for only two years and I also own an LTD EX-50 and I used to have a crappy Squier Strat which I happily sold. I had been eyeing this product for at least 6 months before buying it and I'm really satisfied. If it were stolen or lost I'll find that motherf--ker who stole it and shove the pointy headstock up his pussy arse, or if I can't I'll buy a Jackson RR3 cause that was the other guitar I was considering but didn't buy it cause they were either too hard or too expensive here in singapore. The moment I strapped it on I felt like an instant rock god. I suggest all readers check out this amazing guitar now! // 10

ML 79 Reviewed by: TheCalvinator, on december 17, 2008

Purchased from: Local music Store

Features: I bought this guitar for a little over 700 dollars with the case, Brand New. I gotta say, after owning this guitar for a year and a half now I think it was well worth it. Made In Korea, This ML79 is the special edition blueburst with the block inlays. Absolutely stunning, Two Dean zebra pickups, Tuneomatic bridge, all mahogany body and string through body for sustain sustain and more sustain. If you are a Dean fan than you know what a ML is, pure rock and roll. A cross between the Flying V and Explorer, sorta getting the best of both worlds. The tuners are non locking, which I plan to upgrade soon to sperzels, but other than that it's great. // 9

Sound: I play Blues, to classic rock to heavy metal and everything in between. Ussually this amp is geared heavily torwards heavy metal, But I play everything else on it just fine, after all this guitar model is over 30 years old, and there were plenty of artists Who used this guitar that didn't play straight heavy metal. I play this amp through a Line 6 Spider II, I'm sure a lot of you will instantly disregard this now for mentioning the Line 6 amp, but I have mastered my amplifier and it's sounds, and you can read my own review of it in the amp section. But I digress, Because of the wide variety of sounds I can get from my amp, this guitar compliments it very well. The pick ups are very very good for stock and produce a good amount of top end instead of bassy mush. Though I may or may not upgrade to Dimarzios and Duncans in the future, I am thouroughly impressed. Very thick and crunchy for rock, just the way I like. As I said before too, this guitar is string through body which means butt load of sustain. Flip the the neck pick up and you can sound like Slash for days. Somebody below mentioned this guitar is the Les Paul of heavy metal, and I agree with them. There is nothing thin at all about this guitar, espescially in terms of sound. Overall it is a versatile guitar in terms of sound, the mahogany body compliments the pick up and tail peice very well, I will give this another solid 9, because one nothing is perfect, yet this comes close. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the factory this guitar came ready to play. The action was a tad higher than how I ussually play, but I always have my guitare reset up by my favorite tech in town. The pickups were fine, everything seems solid, nothing loose or mish mash together. I do wish the tuners were a tad more stronger for staying in tune, but I do plan on upgrading those for sure. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged this guitar plenty of times without a back up. I know I know, shame on me. But like I said, this guitar is plenty solid. I have hit the wings and headstock because of it's sheer size many times, though everything has held up. I must say, the Oriental guitars are very good qaulity these days, and I have no problem saving myself loads of cash for an eqaul good sounding and playing instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: Bottom line is, I turned down a Gibson Explorer to buy this guitar when I saw it. I've been playing for about five years now and grew up mostly on strats. For my music this guitar was a great match, though il admit at gigs I get nervous at peoples reactions to this guitar because it obviously makes a statement, but people just seem to love it's color size and the way it suits me since I'm a big guy too. 6 foot six, this is the only guitar that is proportioned to my size. Granted this is my first and probably last Dean(I'm more of an ESP guy now), I'm glad I made the decision I did to go with something a little different than I was ultimately used to or what I was originally going to buy. I will say this, this isnt a guitar that is suited for everyone. It is big, bukly, and heavy, and the neck is a little less forgiving for smaller hands. Like I said, this guitar was a match made in heaven for me. So I urge you, if you are interested in this guitar, make sure you play it long and hard before you shell out the money for it, other wise Rock on! // 9

ML 79 Reviewed by: NatG, on november 25, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in 2010, in Korea. 22 frets, medium neck, jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, flamed maple top, mahogany body and set mahogany neck. Tobacco sunburst flame top. Dean tune o matic/string through bridge, passive Dean humbuckers. 2 volume, 1 tone, 1 3 way pickup toggle. Grover rotomatic tuners (non locking). No accesories included. Jumbo strap buttons. Overall, a really solid guitar with great specs for the money. Could do with better pickups (if you play metal). // 9

Sound: It suits my music style very well. I play metal (extreme, black, death, thrash, deathcore, metalcore, hardcore) The neck is excellent. The mahogany combined with the maple top gives a very midrangey, crushing, bassy, articulate, rich tone, with pleny of harmonic goodness coming from the maple top. I play through a Line 6 Spider, which admittedly is not very good, but I can tell that this guitar would really Shine through a top notch valve amp. One thing I can fault is that it is rather muddy, even in Standard tuning, but this is mostly because of the stock pickups. I'm going to swap them for EMGs or Blackouts once I get a good amp. I'm not using any effects with it (FX pedals aren't my thing). The guitar could cover any style of music really. It would be very versatile. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up fairly well(with really low action)from the factory with 10-46 strings tuned to E. I play in B Standard and drop A, so I put on a set of Ernie Ball strings 70-52-38-26-18-14. This gives plenty of tension for low tuning. I had to file the nut, ajust action, and ajust the truss rod. Nothing major. The guitar's finishing is not particularly good. I guess this is down to shoddy Korean craftsmanship. The top is not bookmatched well. The guitar came with a plastic nut, poorly cut, leading to fret buzz. The binding is slightly shoddy. There is white paint smeared on the binding and fingerboard around the 12th fret. This doesn't affect the playability or performance tho. The fretwork seems pretty good. The tuners are great. The bridge seems to be made of pretty hard metal. Everything else seems solid. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing, it solidly built and the hardware is good. The strap buttons are very large and hold the strap up great. I could depend on it at a gig, and I would gig without a backup, the only thing that could really go wrong would be a string snapping. The finish is very good. I have bashed it and banged it of walls, doors, lamps and my amp and it has not a mark anywhere. The nut is rubbish, it has recently broken and my guitar is out of use until I get it replaced, so I give it a 9 for that. Otherwise it's great! // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of metal and it suits it well. I've played seriously for a year now, and I also own a Squier telecaster. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get something diferrent. Nothing against the guitar, I would just use the oppertunity to try something new. I like everything about it, except the pickups and nut, which I hate. I compared it to a Jackson RR5, Schecter Hellraiser but got this cos it was cheaper and just as good. I do wish it came with EMG active pickups or SD Blackouts, and I wish it came with a better nut (Graphtech TUSQ, which I am having a tech put on it). // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014