ML Knight Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 05/28/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML Knight
How much blacker can the Dean ML Knight get? None blacker. If you demand out of your guitar everything from pure heavy metal drudge to warm, somnambulist ambient textures then the ML Knight is your choice.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (4) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
ML Knight Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1599

Purchased from: Opus Music Geraldton

Features: First off I wna say I have had this guitar for 6 hours so my review might not be all thet great but it's still a review so get over it. To buisiness this is a Dean ML Knight an ML shape guitar that was made famous by famous damage plan and pantera guitarist may he rest in piece dimebag darrel it has 22 frets a mahogony body 24.75 inch scale rosewood finger board my favorite licensed Floyd Rose locking tremolo three way pickup selector EMG 81 and EMG 85 pickups (active)grover tuners and Dot inlays to top it all off the only downside I saw to this guitar was it didn't come with a case so I had to buy one for it. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of relly heavy melodic metal from Slipknot to Trivium to arch ememy and I can trust this guitar to play all of The Music types even what I have written it can do and I'm using it with a Roland Cube 30X and it isnt noisy at all only downside is there is a little fret buzz but that's all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I orderd this guitar in Brand New and it was so amazingly set up for my music I was in shock I thought the guys Who I bought it from had done a set up but they hadnt done a thing not even taken it outa the box and the pickups were amazing I would have givin this guitar an eleven but I can't. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I rekon if I were to take this guitar to a fight and use it to smash someones skull in it would still be ready to shred when I got home it's finish is satin black matte paint the strap buttons are solid as all hell but I'm not the type of person to go to a gig without a backup but I would trust that I wouldn't need a backup with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play mainly melodic or death metal and this guitar seems like it was built as a signature just for that type of music I've been playin for 2 years now and this is my third guitar I'm so glad I got it but if it was stolen I would go rambo on the asses of the persons who stole it and get it back and use it to smash them up with cause it would definetly last but my favorite feature on this guitar is defenitly the Floyd Rose with no fail I mean I've dive bombed the hell outa it and it's still in drop b tuning after all that. // 10

ML Knight Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2012

Purchased from: norwegian website

Features: 2008 mod. 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body with an EPIC black finish with a white line along the body and neck. Badass active EMG 81 and 85. Sweet licensed floyd rose. // 10

Sound: Made for metal/Norwegian black metal, the EMG's really pump the gain trough the roof, a little buzzing sound while the strings are open, but that's supposed to happen! I'm using it on a Fender FM100 trough Boss GT10 effectprossessor, witch I really don't need cause I wake my neighbors just by playing clean trough those EMG's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was brand new at arrival, Norwegian black metal now reached the next level. Everything was in place, Dean really got their job done with this godmade guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has withstanded live playing, believe me. Indoors 15-30 degrees celsius, and outside, in Norwegian wilderness, 15-35 degrees BELOW celsius, and dats no joke. This guitar will not need any backup, it will last the whole show by it self. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match, Norwegian black metal. I've been playing for 8 years, my B.C. Rich Warlock and ESP Eclipse now cries locked in their case under my bed. If I somehow lost my knight, I would not buy it again, I would FIND MY GUITAR. There is nothing to hate and too much to love. I recommend a hardcase molded for ML's for safe transport, I kinda dropped my last MLX in its gigbag, dats all. // 10

ML Knight Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2013

Features: Purchased a 2008 Dean ML Knight from the local Guitar Center for $299 with molded hardshell case. I was intrigued by it as I had never seen an ML with EMG pickups, and for $299 with case I simply couldn't pass it up. Right from a first glance, the satin black finish perfectly matches the personality of this guitar... It is dark, mean and PERFECT for metal. The guitar is well equipped with active electronics, all black hardware, Floyd Rose trem, Grover locking tuners, etc. It is also EXTREMELY light for its size. I was shocked the first time I held it. All in all this is a very nice axe, one that has drastically improved my view of Dean guitars as a whole. // 9

Sound: If you want a guitar built for metal and only metal, the ML Knight is the one for you. This thing absolutely screams. When switched to the neck pickup, this guitar produces such a deep, low, Baritone sound you'd almost think it was a bass. Plays excellent in drop-D and drop-C. The only negative is the somewhat limited variety of sounds on this axe. It was designed to play metal, and it does it well... But don't expect to play anything but! (If you're buying this guitar, I doubt you are looking to play anything else, so it really doesn't matter!) All in all, perfect at what it was intended to do. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased this guitar used, so I cannot speak for the factory setup of the guitar. But it was set up perfectly for me when I bought it, didn't have to change a thing. The only thing I had to do was change out the rusted strings for a fresh set of DR DDT strings. The action was perfect... Plays fast and smooth, very little fret buzz. The finish is absolutely stunning... The satin black finish just fits the overall image of the guitar... Bold body shape, bold sound, and a dark cloak of satin black make for the perfect metal look. Extending the finish up the neck and over the front and back of the headstock is a nice finish, and the ivory binding REALLY makes it pop. No complaints outside of the Floyd Rose, which isn't a flaw in the guitar itself, just a personal opinion of hating FR trems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I see no reason at all to feel that this guitar would not hold up to live playing. I have played this as my main guitar for awhile now, and have had no issues. After having issues with the input jack on multiple Schecters and Fenders, I am happy to say that all the electronics and hardware on this Dean are working good as new. After all of the bad things I have heard about Dean, I am truly amazed at how reliable this guitar has been. Strap buttons are solid (I actually purchased black Dunlop straplocks the night I bought the guitar, and still haven't felt the need to install them), stays in tune perfectly (until you break a string of course, then the rest are screwed)... All in all, a truly durable axe. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music, but I prefer to play metal, and this is my axe of choice when I do. It is as perfect a match as I can find for metal. I play through a Crate GT212 combo, and it sounds great. I've been playing casually for about 6 years, and out of my current lineup of this ML, my Gibson SG Faded Special, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX, this is the best axe for heavier music styles. If I lost this guitar, I would no doubt look to find another one, and if I couldn't I'd replace it with another EMG 81/85 equipped axe. Again, I love everything outside of the limited variety of sounds (which is why I own other guitars) and the Floyd Rose. In comparison to a former guitar I owned for metal (Schecter Hellraiser C-1 stoptail with EMG 81/89 coil split) I would definitely choose the Dean as the better guitar (and I spent WAY less $ on it!) I definitely recommend this to any metal guitarist who is considering a new guitar! // 9

ML Knight Reviewed by: TheMarrtyr13, on may 28, 2013

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar was introduced in 2008 with features that some people really wanted on a Dean for metal. Made in Korea, this guitar has 22 frets atop a 24.75" scaled rosewood board with abalone dot inlays. The neck is a more of a D shape rather than the Traditional V that most ML's have. I am unsure of the radius of the neck, but it is pretty wide, probably compounded. The neck is of a neck thru construction. The wings of the guitar are mahogany as well. It has a satin/matte black finish that along with the cream binding along the body offer a great contrast to the eye. It comes with a Floyd Rose Low Pro bridge copy. It comes with the venerable EMG 81 & 85 combo running 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck of 9v. Controls are pretty generic, two independent volumes and master tone. It has a Gibson style three-way toggle on the upper wing. The Knight also has Grover RotoMatic tuners and a locking Floyd nut. My guitar was shipped with three hex wrenches and the bar, nothing else. // 8

Sound: As previously stated it is geared towards the heavy metal player with all of its features. When I first got the guitar I was playing it through a Line 6 Spider III 75. Now when I pull it out of the case I run it through a Line 6 POD HD500 with a Triple Rec running a gate, compressor, Wah, and a pitch shifter. Before I did some basic modifications it was pretty much bland. I switched the pickup positions (85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck) and also have a custom 24v battery. This opened the door quite a bit in that it has more of an open/airy sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'll be honest, when I first received this guitar it was practically unplayable. The neck was bowed and the action was a good inch off of the board. After a quick trip to a local music store and a chit used I got it professionally adjusted all the way around. Even with it professionally set up it still went out of tune, I think that it was due to the claw not being square with the body. I now have the trem blocked and the saddles on the nut off. Another issue I still have is that the G string will buzz when fretted on the first fret (just need to shim it). It feels like they just slapped it together but then again I have one of the very first ones. The finish was great on it, binding is clean and there were no heavy paint spots on it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can go live and deliver very well. If it was 100% put together then it would be a killer piece. I could depend on it now because of blocking the floyd, but it is always good conscious to bring a back up. The strap buttons are good, switched those with Dunlop strap locks. Over the 5 years that I have owned and played this guitar the finish has lost the matte and became glossy in places where my skin touches the finish, that's just par the course. The finish is thick and I see no wearing through for the years to come. // 8

Overall Impression: I received this guitar in 2008 after receiving all A's my junior year of high school. When I was 17, I was a young and naive metal head, and this guitar was the stuff. It was the perfect blend between Dime and Zakk. Now that I am 22 and I have grown in my music taste and has now became a one trick pony, so to speak. I still play it often, and it is near and dear to my heart. I've been playing since I was 15, so 7 years now. I now have the Dean And EC-1000 AB and a Washburn D-10M. I wish I would have went to a store instead of online. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably attempt to find one or something like it. It is THE guitar that you can never get rid of. I tried selling it, trading it, and never could just let it go. The only thing I can really knock on it was the apparently non existent factory set up, but that was solved. I thought that the Floyd Rose would be great, but it quickly lost it's charm. When I was looking at guitars for the bet I looked at a Jackson Rhoads, a white Schecter C1, a Dean Dime Shadow, and Shecter Hellraiser Avenger. The reason I chose this one was that it had everything I thought I needed and wanted, a Floyd, EMG's a cool shape. I have an attachment to this guitar, it has it's imperfections, but it will always remind me of when I was 17, and you just can't rate that! // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014