ML X Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/10/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML X
This was made in Korea, but it rocks like its from USA, it has 22 frets like most guitars, has 24-3/4" Scale & 1-11/16" Nut, Maple neck, and Basswood Body.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 8.3
 7.6
 8.1
 7.1
reviews (7) pictures (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
ML X Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2009

Features: The Dean MLX has a 22 fret, 24.75 scale bolt-on neck with bad upper fret access. Rosewood fretboard on maple. It has a nice feel to it but after a year, its very sticky and no matter how much i clean it, it wont feel smooth anymore. The body is the ML shape, Its made of basswood and it has a gloss black finish. Very easy to mark up with fingerprints, and easier to scratch and dent. It has a Tune-o-matic bridge that goes through the body in a v shape with that metal ferrule cover. Its got 2 passive zebra colored no-name humbuckers, controlled by 2 volume and 1 tone topped with speed knobs, and a 3 way toggle (bridge, both, neck) the tone knob feels like a presence knob, and has no middle ground. Its the same sound all the way through it till its completely turned down. The tuners are Grover tuners, they are not locking, and they don't stay in tune very well. The guitar came with a cable and a stack of the warranty card, I wish I filled it out... Overall the features on this guitar are alright for the price range. // 8

Sound: I play metal, mainly death metal and thrash. It suits the style fairly well, and you would hope so considering its a Dean and the player its always associated with. I play through an old Crate solid state, a g-something... it escapes me. its 130 watts. i play with a Line 6 Ubermetal at the moment. The guitar can be noisy, without the pedals noise gate it hums like no ones business, but only at higher levels of gain. I play with Full mids, a nice amount of bass, from 1/2 to 3/4 and my highs i have rolled back around 1/2 +/- because the highs can really stab you in the ear with these pickups. The bridge pickup is clear, and has bite, the neck is smoother as to be expected. These pickups are very bassy too, not so that they give you that far away feel, but that I have an outrageously great chug that hits you in the chest without woofing the speaker. They aren't too muddy either. This guitar can produce acceptable cleans with the neck pickup, but its not the first guitar I'd pick for cleans you know? It can do other styles alright, but it does heavier things best. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came setup okay, but it was still had buzz. The pickups were both the same height, which was very low, not how I put them. The bridge was routed fine. Did the guitar have any flaws? Starting from headstock down. The tuning peg on my thickest string (B)broke, the little white washer around the peg broke off, and the guitar picks what strings it wants to un-tune on, mainly the 1st, 4th, and 5th. The nut was very sharp on the end and it stabbed my finger until I filed it round. The frets, have sharp ends on both sides of the neck, and after a year, they all are massively wore under the strings, to the point of grooves, worse so under the thicker strings, (I play with Dunlop Zakk Wylde custom gauge strings where the low E is .60 gauge and I'm tuned in b Standard) so immense buzz no matter what now. The neck is poorly set, theres space between the body and neck on the sides, (damn bolt ons) so it can move a little bit. The neck bows alot, I find myself turning the truss rod every other month or so. The wire to my neck pickups volume knob disconnected so I had to reconnect that, and the input jack has done the same before. I understand its considered a fairly cheap guitar, but thats bull. The saddles on the tune-o-matic are actually being wore down on the edges by my hand, and when I went to replace the strings, you could see the indentation of the winding of the low e string in the saddle! Soft metal... The controls aren't noisy though, which I suppose is nice after all that. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing, I've done so. Its time that it wont withstand. That goes for the hardware too. Its only a matter of time before theres a fatal error and if I were you I wouldn't want it to happen on stage. The strap buttons are alright, the placing of the lower is awesome, the angle has insured that it never came off for me, the top one, is on a neck screw, and will absolutely fall if you don't straplock it, I have a large washer there and that works. This is my only working guitar, so I have no choice but to depend on it and use it at a gig without backup. Its worked for me so far, but like I said, its a matter of time. The finish scratches and dents terribly easy, and I'm never getting a gloss black guitar again due to the fingerprint and dust (New Mexico...) madness. One more little note, I'm left handed, (thats why it was $300 btw) and its called an ML XL on mine, and says so on the truss rod cover, only upside down! Like on a right handed cover. And also the numbers on the control knobs go the opposite way! Because they are also right handed knobs. That pissed me off to no end and should not have happened. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, Its a good match for metal. I've been playing for a little over 3 years, and I don't own very much other gear. If I could have asked one thing before I got this, I would have asked if they were going to screw me over and to be honest about it. If it was lost or stolen, Id be pissed, but I would save up for a better guitar, and thats a while since I'm left handed and make little cash. The only thing I love about it, is that it hasn't died on me yet and I liked the feel of the neck before it got sticky. I hate the reliability and quality. I didn't get to compare it to much as it was more of a pick one out of these kind of thing, and it was the only one with humbuckers which is why I chose it. I don't think I'm gonna get another Dean, because I've played a few and I haven't found one I really liked yet. It gets the job done, but theres better in the price range, and alot of better ones for right handed players. If you must have an Ml, save up. Its in your best interest. // 6

ML X Reviewed by: BMGRocker, on june 09, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This was made in Korea, but it rocks like its from USA, it has 22 frets like most guitars, has 24-3/4" Scale & 1-11/16" Nut, Maple neck, and Basswood Body, mines a solid type with a Transparent Braziliaburst color.The body is my favorite part of the whole guitar... Half Explorer and the Wings of the Flying V... It has a regular Tune-O-Matic bridge.It has passive pick-ups(zebra color bridge and neck)made by Dean guitars, but I advise putting in a dimebucker and a '59 Seymour Duncan pick-ups(not just b/c I'm a dimebag darrell fan either )..The tuners are locking grovers. // 9

Sound: The pick-ups do actually pretty good, even with crazy distortion and that's pretty much all I use cause I'm in a rock band Who play from 50's to now. Right now I use a Crate GT1200H Head and G412 Cabinet with Dunlap wah wah pedal, DigiTech Death Metal pedal, and a danoelectro tuner pedal. It can be loud when you turn your amp up, it's loud enough on 2 o'clock..has a really good tone for rockin out or if you feel a little blusey, and it can be really bright..you can make this guitar do anything with or with out effects. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was like any other guitar you first get, the action was set straight.The pick-ups adjusted very easy, Yes the body is bookmatched correctly and you can't see where they opened it, but most guitars, the paint job covers it.The bridge was routed properly. I've had this guitar for 'bout a year and I haven't noticed any flaws // 9

Reliability & Durability: It can stand Live playing well b/c I jump around everywhere and it doesn't scratch easily. The hardware seems like it will last from how I've played and I'm gunna be with this guitar for a long time. The strap buttons were solid, but I installed strap-locks(it would suck if your guitar flew off you b/c your strap fell off). It's very dependable, I really don't need a back-up b/c this guitar is everything I need and wanted.Finish is very thick cause this guitar doesn't scratch easy. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything with ROCK! Just the way the body is shaped, it fits that genre of music awesomely. I've been playing 3 years, but I'm only 14, but I've been in a band for 2 years. There is nothing I would have asked before buying it. If It got stolen I would buy the same one. I love the sound it has, I hate nothing about it, and my favorite feature is the body.I never did compare this to any other.I really wish it had a Floyd Rose tremelo but I will get one installed soon. // 9

ML X Reviewed by: Enix165, on april 12, 2010

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Axe Music Calgary

Features: The Dean MLX has a rather spiffy-looking body style that's like a classic V on bottom and a Gibson Explorer on top. It has 2 Dean Zebra pickups humbuckers, and the neck's maple with a basswood body and a Tune-O-Matic string-through bridge. It's a very lightweight guitar, and has a tone Switch and a volume Switch for both pickups. I think mine was made in China but I'm not 100% sure, and I'm pretty sure it's a 2008 or 2009. Overall, I love the body shape, the neck's nice and fast, and it's surprisingly light for its large size(by far lighter than my BC Rich Assassin, even though it's probably half a foot longer and the headstock's far bigger) so I'd give it a 10 for features, seeing as how I wouldn't modify anything except maybe the neck pickup, which isn't too much to my liking(not saying it's bad). // 9

Sound: The Dean MLX's Zebra pickups make great pickups for a $400 guitar, and the bridge pickup is great for the kinds of music I play(mostly speed metal a la Judas Priest and Megadeth, classic rock like Led Zeppelin and stuff like Pantera):loud, bright and angular, while the neck pickup offers a less-great-but-still-good tone, sort of bluesy in my opinion. I'm running it through a Randall RX75RG2 75-watt combo and with the stock amp Drive it sounds fine, and if I use a BOXX MT-2 Metal Zone disto pedal I can get a cutting, loud tone with more crunch than a box of dry Rice Krispies. And that's a lot of crunch. So I'd give it a 10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The way the guitar was set up at the factory was unfortunately horrible. The action was messed up, one pickup was too low to pick up anything and the other was almost touching the strings, they never soldered one of the pickups to the pickup switch, the port was soldered on poorly and ended up breaking after about a month of playing when I accidentally tugged the cord(however, that was easily fixed and now it sounds better than ever) and the nut was just barely cut, causing me to have to take a knife to the slits so the strings wouldn't pop out when I put them in(could've been because I use.12s with a wound G, but still, they shouldn't just pop out... ). I'm assuming I just got a bad apple, but since I got the guitar in August I've fixed and soldered it quite a few times. =/ // 6

Reliability & Durability: ASIDE from the people who put it together seemingly being under the impression it was to be a training dummy for guitar tech students, this guitar can take a real beating. I've hit it off walls countless times, got stuck walking to lessons in the rain with it twice(once without a case) and had it caseless in the trunk of a car for a 4 hour Drive on the highway, and it's still pretty much mint condition aside from some dirt that's amassed from my playing. I'd say this guitar'd last someone a long time considering the bashing it's been through in the year I've owned it and how it's still pretty much mint. I'd definitely play this guitar live, without a backup too. The finish seems good to last, it's all still there after my rough playing for at least 30 minutes every day. =P // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of old-school metal, 80s hard rock and classic rock, and this guitar is a near-perfect match for me in my opinion, sound-wise, feel-wise and looks-wise. If it were stolen, I'd be a very unhappy person, and I'd probably buy another. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and the only other guitar I've OWNED was a late 80s model BC Rich Assassin(I might add that I can't stand it since I've got my Dean), but I tried an Ibanez RG of some sort, a Reverend Volcano, an Epiphone Explorer(if only it had decent pickups... D=) and a BC Rich Masterpiece Bich before ordering it(I had to order it from the workshop because it was lefty, I tried out a righty which was soldered correctly and didn't have a barely-slitted nut, praise the souls who made that one). The only thing I really wish it had was maybe a better neck pickup, or maybe a tremolo bar of some sort(not a Floyd Rose though, my BC Rich has one of those and I find it to be rather difficult to keep in tune even with those tuning locks in). // 9

ML X Reviewed by: caboose243, on july 23, 2010

Purchased from: Skips Music

Features: My Dean is Made in China, is the ML style body, which is great because you get the awesome looks of a Flying V and the comfort of an explorer. There is a 24 3/4' scale, a solid basswood body and a maple neck with 22 frets. Mine has a metallic white finish with matching head stock and all black hardware. Has a basic string through tail with a tune-o-matic bridge and Standard Dean passive pickups. Surprisingly enough, the Standard pickups are better than any basic pickups on a guitar of this price that I've ever played. Nothing real special about the set up, very basic, but certainly gets the job done. // 7

Sound: I play mainly heavy metal so I down tune a lot, often to drop B or Standard B. The neck on my particular guitar is very forgiving, it doesn't require adjustments when I tune back and forth between B, C, D and standard. Which is a life saver if you don't have the money for a guitar for every tuning. The pickups don't have too good of a clean sound by themselves, but add a chorus or flange and it is crystal clear. But most metal heads like me never touch the clean setting on an amp, lol. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had actually sat on the music store wall for ever so the factory settings go out the window, but it still sounded good. I've owned it for about a year and I have had no problems since I bought it. Even with the low adjustability of the tune-o-matic, the guitar seems to stay buzz free and performs great with out intonation. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this guitar on several occasions, once on one of the forks of the v, but nothing snapped and everything stayed where it should've. Unless you intentionally bash it against something with destruction in mind, it will stand up to anything. The stock strap buttons were good but I switched them out for Dunlop strap locks. The only issue there is that I had to modify a neck screw to fit the strap locks. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 6 years now, so I'm no expert yet, but this guitar will out live me. I recently bought a Schecter Omen 7 string to expand my sound and I still like down tuning my Dean better. If you have ever considered buying it, or not BUY IT! It is very well rounded, don't let the shape fool you, it can play ANYTHING. // 8

ML X Reviewed by: morte_coeur, on february 17, 2011

Purchased from: PAWN IT

Features: This is by far the best guitar I have ever played on. The 22-fret style is perfect. Not too many, and not too small. The V-shaped body is perfect for playing either standing up or sitting in a chair. There is a volume knob, tone knob and a 3-way selector switch. // 7

Sound: This guitar is perfect for hard rock and metal music -- it suits me perfectly. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III amp. It gets noisy with a lot of overdrive, but what guitar doesn't? The guitar can make a very wide variety of sounds, anywhere from Pop-punk noise to screamo/deathcore riffs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up is amazing -- dual humbuckers that are very well adjusted. The top is nicely set up. There were a few flaws in the body, a crack here, a scratch there, but that's what you get when you buy it used at a pawn shop in a backwater town. The finish is straight matte black. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing, and would be great for all-day or weekend events and gigs. The hardware seems as though it could last years before anything need be done to it. Strap buttons are solid and the strap hasn't fallen off yet. I can depend on this, and I would use it on a gig without so much as thinking of a backup (unless I were playing a set with different tunings.) The finish is good enough to last, and will likely never wear. // 5

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, metal, and alternative music. This guitar is a good match for all of those. I have been playing it for three weeks. I also own a Line 6 Spider III amp, which is my only amp choice, and a Fender Squier Bullet Strat, which sounds great with the Spider III. I wish I had asked how much this guitar was brand new, but I hadn't. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy something else to try out, but I would definitely buy another one down the road. I love the treble humbucker. I don't really hate anything on it. My favorite feature is the 22 fret neck. I compared this to an ESP I played at the pawn shop, using the same amp, and it didn't compare. I chose this one because it felt right. I wish it had a Floyd Rose trem. // 9

ML X Reviewed by: Tomgar24, on december 18, 2012

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: This particular Dean was made in China and comes with a pretty standard list of features. It came in a trans-brazilia burst finish which looks nice but was *not* the much lighter finish advertised on the site. The guitar has a basswood body, maple neck and rosewood finger board and has a tune-o-matic, string through bridge which is nice as it makes for easy action adjustment. The passive Dean humbuckers are good for the price and it has a standard volume, b pickup, n pickup control set-up with a 3-way selector switch. All-in-all, decent features that you'd expect at this price. // 8

Sound: Although this is my first guitar, I've been playing bass for several years and play everything from jazz, blues, R&B and rock right through to death metal, doom, grindcore etc. Nonetheless, I didn't expect a great degree of versatility from this guitar, Dean are known as a rock and metal company. It sounds surprisingly good for the price in these genres, crafting a fat, high-gain sound when I tune down for some doom metal riffing. It also holds a more clean, 70s rock tone well, with the notes ringing out fairly clearly. Obviously it isn't the best at cleaner styles but to be frank I've heard a lot worse. Basically, it's at least decent in all genres but pretty damn good in the heavier departments. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Wehn I got the guitar out the box it was freaking *coated* in moisture but that's not the manufacturer's fault, that's just the risk you take living in bonny Scotland. Still, after wiping it down and inspecting it everything seemed to be okay (note, "okay", not "good"). The action was pretty high but, as mentioned, the bridge allows for easy adjustment and the truss rod didn't need any adjustment. Parts of the string-through bridge weren't quite flush but otherwise solid. However, both the selector switch and tuners were pretty damn loose. In the case of the switch, that's forgivable as long as it still works but without adjustment, those tuners will have this thing knocked out of tune after jamming your average couple of rock songs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a fairly chunky old girl and I wouldn't worry too uch about damaging her. Apart from the selector switch and tuners (which can be fixed), all other hardware seems pretty tough and durable. The strap buttons, though maybe a little awkwardly placed for some, are on there good and solid so nothing to worry about there. The finish seems pretty resilient too, I've knoced this thing off of doors, TVs, PC desks, amps, you name it and there's not a scratch. I'd certainly feel no trepidation in using this as a gigging axe. // 9

Overall Impression: Well as mentioned before, I play a bit of everything but I bought this for one of my main musical avenues which is melancholic doom metal (a la My Dying Bride). It handles that kind of heavy, chugging style, alternating with melodic lines, very well and is also great for when you just want to thrash along to some AC/DC. Hell, I've even attempted some Billy Bragg and this guitar and it sounds fine. I've been playing bass (currently using an Ibanez SR model) for 7 years (this is my first punt at guitar though) so I have enough experience with instruments to know that this is a wee bargain. Yes it has faults but unless you can significantly bump up your budget, small faults are the price you have to pay for an otherwise excellent bit of gear. // 9

ML X Reviewed by: The Crab420, on january 10, 2013

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Wow this guitar is a piece of ART to say the least. I love this thing it is a Korean made MLX with the trans Brazilian burst on it (keep in mind it is actually darker than the websites show but for the better). It is a 22 fret multi purpose master (I play classic rock n roll to metal) It is a solid basswood with dual Humbucker pickups. It has a three way selector and a tune-o-matic bridge. the only negative thing I wish was better about this guitar is the tuners are non-locking but that only matters with this beauty is if you play extended sessions of more than about four hours then it is not a problem it stays in tune nicely. I love this guitar. a must buy for someone trying to join the Dean family. // 10

Sound: Like I said it is a multi purpose master. I play rock n roll like AC/DC up to metal like Lamb Of God. It sounds awesome no complaints at all you have to spend money though to get the best sound when you are talking amp and effects wise i.e. Dime amplification with higher quality effects like DigiTech. It does create a small amount of buzz with cheap effects pedals. the Variety of the thing is amazing I have no problem down tuning to play heavier stuff and then standard sounds crisp and clean if you want to jam on things like Judas Priest or AC/DC it is just worth more than you pay for take advantage of that for sure. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The people on here must of got the minority bad ones because right out of the box it was lock stock and ready to play only had to tune it that is about it. The finish was a thing of beauty it made me speech less when I first got it. everything was the way it was suppose to be people on here must have really got a screw job because mine was perfect I do not mean to gush but it is awesome. The only bad thing I have to say about this guitars finish is that it shows dirt but if you love your guitar this much you find cleaning it to be fun and an enjoyable process. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would take this live any day of the week and the only reason I would take a back up is because you can get so into playing this thing that you might (a one in a million chance) you will snap a string. The hardware is the least of my worries, the strap buttons hold very nice I would worry more about a spinal tap moment and tripping before this thing would fall. Even then it is so tough I wouldn't worry about hurting it even if you did trip. I have banged this thing on accident and not even so much as a scuff on it. If you take the time to clean it then the finish will never be a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a beast it can match almost all types of playing but it incites you to want to play metal and really jam some fast and aggressive metal. I been playing of almost two years and have a Crate amp and a Dime Blacktooth amp it is magic on any of those two. I have a Boss overdrive pedal and it sounds amazing with it. Now if someone stole this I would beat them with a tube sock full of wood screws and take it back. I love the finish it just grabs you by your balls and heart and makes you want to play the thing non-stop til your fingers are bloody and numb. The only other guitar that I would want over this is a Dime Razorback Cemetery Gates edition or the Concrete Sledge edition Dean ML besides that I am very happy with this guitar and will be buying from Dean again in the future.

// 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014