ML XF Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 11/10/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML XF
The guitar is an ML, which really resonates for a full tone. I play Metal and this is a good match, but not complete for me without EMGs. Overall, this is a very good guitar and I guarantee it will please.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.5
 Features: 5.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
ML XF Reviewed by: DrShredder97, on january 18, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in Dec. 2011, it's a new model. It was made in China (but plays like it's from the USA). It has 22 Jumbo frets (I think), and has a Rosewood fretboard. It has a solid top. The Body and neck are both Basswood, which has a good tone. The finish is Dean's Classic Black. The guitar is an ML, which really resonates for a full tone. This guitar is actually pretty big. Weighs a good amount, and because of it's size, gets a good sound. It comes with a Floyd Rose Special, which is a Korean-made version of the Original Floyd. The bridge stays in good tune, and is better than any licensed Floyd that I've seen. It can even flutter! It has volume, tone, and a three-way selector switch. The pickups are DMT design, and have good clean tone. If they're in distortion, it's not awesome, but still great. Its got Grover tuners, which was a surprise to me because the Dean page says just "sealed die cast tuners". It came with the Wrenches for the Floyd, the tremolo bar, and a cable. Some other specs are: 24-3/4" scale, 1-11/16" nut, and pearl dot inlays. You can look more on deanguitars.com. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style pretty well. It has pretty good sound for metal music. If it had EMGs, it would be amazing! I have it through a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah, DigiTech Whammy, and a BBE Distortion pedal. It's not very noisy at all. The ML can pull off divebombs to sweeps, and blues to metal. It has a lot of variety. The clean sound is good enough to play softer songs. You can play soft ballads and death metal if you wanted to. Overall, very good sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came very well set up from the factory and I was very pleased. Not a single nut or bolt was loose. It pulled off diveboms straight out of the box. The pickups were adjusted fine. The bridge was routed and set up perfectly, and I had no problems with the floyd. The first night I had it, I changed the gauge of the strings from 9s to 10 - 53s. So I had to put them on, move the springs and add 1 spring, balance the bridge again, and intonate. Took me 3 hours, but I had no problems doing it. The guitar came with no flaws and included a cable and an extra floyd spring. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This can definitely withstand live playing. The hardware should last well through time, and the strap buttons are very solid. You can depend on this ML, and you could use it without a backup, but I say you should ALWAYS have a backup. The Finish should last for years of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal and this is a good match, but not complete for me without EMGs. I have been playing for four years, and I also have a B.C. Rich Warlock, and an Epiphone SG Special. If it were stolen, I would get another immediately. I compared it to my Warlock, and it has a warmer tone (because of the pickups) but the playability and feel of it is better. I wish it could come with an EVH D-tuna and a Tremol-No equipped. But hey, wish in one hand, sh*t in the other, which one would fill up first? Overall, this is a very good guitar and I guarantee it will please. // 9

ML XF Reviewed by: kleto, on november 10, 2014

- Rosewood Fingerboard
- Pearl Dot Inlays
- DMT pickups
- Gloss Finish

Didn't included any accessories but a cable. No gig-bag. It is not heavy at all. Dean ML XF Classic Black... It is an Dean ML X series... Nothing but a piece of sh-t. The Floyd never... NEVER stays in tune, the pickups sucks. Man, I really love Dean guitars, but this is one of their worst series (if not their worst). // 2

Sound: I play metal, mostly groove, thrash and death (also brutal death) and this guitar fits my style pretty good! It can play from jazz or blues to extreme metal, very versatile. I changed the original pickups, because they don't give as much gain or bite as I wanted.. I have played lots of Dean guitars, and this has a good tone (but not the best)... BUUUUT, good tone for a X series. The bad thing is that this guitar has very poor sustain. I think it is because it's made of Basswood, or maybe because of the material of the bridge. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, everything was set up really good! All properly adjusted, no scratches or any rust. The Floyd Rose was set up perfectly and the action was also okay. I play on E standard, but since this guitar can't stay in tune it is a nightmare to even practice on it. I am tired of this guitar, can't wait to get my Dean ML 79. I have played those before and I got impressed great tone, only bad thing is the Licensed Floyd, but I will buy a Original one to avoid this problem, which is very annoying. // 4

Reliability & Durability: When I bought the guitar, everything was okay... Three months later I couldn't play a single note without going out of tune. I can't do any flutters, dive bombs, pull ups, or any Floyd Rose movement neither bendings. It is a nightmare to play this guitar as I said before... You get frustrated because you can't do anything without getting out of tune. I used to love this guitar, for the first month I mean. I have adjusted the Floyd uncountable times, checked the saddles, checked the locking nut, and everything it's supposed to be okay but it doesn't stays in tune. Also I have this guitar "repaired" by 2 different luthiers and the Floyd Rose stills going out of f--king tune! // 1

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and I do like Dean Guitars, but this is the exception! It is a f--king eyecatcher. Dean, you REALLY disappointed me this time. This guitar is kinda too expensive for what really is and plays, if it were stolen I wouldn't buy another neither accept it as a gift. Last but not least, the Floyd Rose needs to improve their Special Series and stop licensing all the sh-t out there... I've played Original Floyd Roses and... the Special series are NOTHING compared to the Original. I won't buy an Original Floyd Rose (neither another special/licensed) for this guitar because it doesn't worth it. Thanks. // 1

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination 8.3 Electric Guitars 11/06/2014