ML XF Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML XF
The guitar is an ML, which really resonates for a full tone. I play Metal and this is a good match, but not complete for me without EMGs. Overall, this is a very good guitar and I guarantee it will please.
 7.6
 9.4
 5.8
review (1) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
ML XF Reviewed by: DrShredder97, on january 18, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in Dec. 2011, it's a new model. It was made in China (but plays like it's from the USA). It has 22 Jumbo frets (I think), and has a Rosewood fretboard. It has a solid top. The Body and neck are both Basswood, which has a good tone. The finish is Dean's Classic Black. The guitar is an ML, which really resonates for a full tone. This guitar is actually pretty big. Weighs a good amount, and because of it's size, gets a good sound. It comes with a Floyd Rose Special, which is a Korean-made version of the Original Floyd. The bridge stays in good tune, and is better than any licensed Floyd that I've seen. It can even flutter! It has volume, tone, and a three-way selector switch. The pickups are DMT design, and have good clean tone. If they're in distortion, it's not awesome, but still great. Its got Grover tuners, which was a surprise to me because the Dean page says just "sealed die cast tuners". It came with the Wrenches for the Floyd, the tremolo bar, and a cable. Some other specs are: 24-3/4" scale, 1-11/16" nut, and pearl dot inlays. You can look more on deanguitars.com. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style pretty well. It has pretty good sound for metal music. If it had EMGs, it would be amazing! I have it through a Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah, DigiTech Whammy, and a BBE Distortion pedal. It's not very noisy at all. The ML can pull off divebombs to sweeps, and blues to metal. It has a lot of variety. The clean sound is good enough to play softer songs. You can play soft ballads and death metal if you wanted to. Overall, very good sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came very well set up from the factory and I was very pleased. Not a single nut or bolt was loose. It pulled off diveboms straight out of the box. The pickups were adjusted fine. The bridge was routed and set up perfectly, and I had no problems with the floyd. The first night I had it, I changed the gauge of the strings from 9s to 10 - 53s. So I had to put them on, move the springs and add 1 spring, balance the bridge again, and intonate. Took me 3 hours, but I had no problems doing it. The guitar came with no flaws and included a cable and an extra floyd spring. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This can definitely withstand live playing. The hardware should last well through time, and the strap buttons are very solid. You can depend on this ML, and you could use it without a backup, but I say you should ALWAYS have a backup. The Finish should last for years of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal and this is a good match, but not complete for me without EMGs. I have been playing for four years, and I also have a B.C. Rich Warlock, and an Epiphone SG Special. If it were stolen, I would get another immediately. I compared it to my Warlock, and it has a warmer tone (because of the pickups) but the playability and feel of it is better. I wish it could come with an EVH D-tuna and a Tremol-No equipped. But hey, wish in one hand, sh*t in the other, which one would fill up first? Overall, this is a very good guitar and I guarantee it will please. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014