ML XM Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/27/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: ML XM
The Dean ML XM Electric Guitar is proof that you don't have to lay out the big bucks to play a hard core rock guitar. The "V" style Paulownia body sports a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.3
 8.4
 8.4
 8.3
reviews (6) 28 comments vote for this gear:
ML XM Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2007

Features: The overall features of this guitar were amazing, except one thing. They should have installed a whammy bar. Other than that it is great. I'm not quite sure what year thios guitar was, but, It is 1-2 years recent. The weight of this guitar is incredable to. It's lighter than my Epiphone acoustic guitar! That's saying something for an electric guitar. There is a 23- fret rosewood neck, so you can just get that 1 higher note than a Fender. // 8

Sound: This guitar fits right into my musical style. I play classic metal. Straight up. Sabbath, Iron Maiden, VH, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, etc. This guitar is great for that, and with a flick of the pickup Switch you can Switch it over to blues, which I also play. When I use it, I use it through a Crate 15 watt amp and the Line 6 Floor POD. The sound through this is great, espessially when you plug that wah in. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only flaw with this guitar was the fact it had no whammy bar. Also, the tuners are very loose. Not all of them, but on my guitar, just the 2nd and 3rd string tuners are loose. The fact I tune before I play every time helps, but those strings come out of tune in 20 minutes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar playing Live. It withstood 30 minutes of solid playing, and didn't back down. I think everything on this guitar can withstand a lot and not break down. It doesn't wear and tear the longer I play it at all either. When I did use it for a live gig, I did have my Fender stratocastor in the back, but All I had to do was make a non-necessary tune up halfway through. Just for overall peice of mind. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, This guitar is everything I ask for in a guitar. It plays the type of metal and blues that fits right in with me. If I ever had ot lost or stolen, I would defidently buy a new one. Compared to a Strat or an SG I used to have, It goes above and beyond that, for a fraction of the cost. // 10

ML XM Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2011

Price paid: € 189

Purchased from: Thommann

Features: Its a 2010 made in china make. 24 3/4" scale, mahogany body, paulownia top which makes it too light, rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge, 2 Dean humbucker pick-ups with a Satin Natural finish which feels a bit rough on edges. Theres a 3 way selector for the pickups a volume and a tone which unfortunately feel like falling apart. Nt was provided except the usual cable an mini wrench for the neck. // 7

Sound: I play bit of rock and metal with a Line 6 15 spider 4 and my Kustom kg212 fx with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. I own 16 guitars most of them under 400 euros, Aria pe std, bc richs vg 1, Ibanez gsz 120, Cort X-2 + others and this is by far the noisy of the bunch! I don't know if its the wiring or the pick ups although the pick ups are not bad for rock and metal. Clean sounds are very good and rich. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Very good set up from the factory, nice low action with no fret buzzing, there was some imperfections on the headstock of the guitar and the neck had tiny cracs on the bottom of the neck which I suspect is due to the wood which feels really fragile and light. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it live due to the noisy electrics, it could withstand a live performance though I wouldn't depend on it, I would be definetely be using a back up. The finish can't take hits because its soft to the touch and will probably wear off by time. Also the soft body means danger if you drop it headstock first! // 7

Overall Impression: I play bit of everything, mostly rock and metal, its ok for these styles but not blues or country I think. I've been playing for 3 yars now but consider myself a newb. I own 16 guitars 2 Axl's B C Rich and many more. If I could just test Drive it before buying I probably wouldn't buy it. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't mind, I would probably feel sorry for the poor old chap. Its not all grey and gloomy though with a few upgrades it could be a fine guitar. A mahogany body would be nice. // 7

ML XM Reviewed by: AgainsTheMirror, on july 27, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in China, has 22 frets, maple neck I beleive, laminated, basswood body, maple neck, laminated black, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, volume, treble, bass, 3-way selector, Dean zebra pickups one in both neck and bridge and set up perfect, Grover tuner, and no accessories. Only readon it's not a ten is the fact there is no wammy bar. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a very definitive sound for a $200 guitar, the sound is very rich and full on clean and create bone crunhing riffs and blazing solos. I play a very varied array of musical tastes although I play mostly metal. Blues, jazz, rock, punk, and especially classic rock. This guitar given you have the right gear can pull of mostly any musical type. I was very surprised by the great sounding cleans this guitar made. I play it through a Line 6 Spider III with a DigiTech Metal Master. Again for $200 this guitars sound is a major steal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was spot on, besides a lil problem on the low E rattling on one fret it was perfect. The way the pickups were set was amazing, right at the perfect height and positioning. Nothing is noisy, everything is in tip top shape. Only the three way elector was a lil loose but that's about it plus it was a floor model so yeah. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm about to play at a resturaunt in a while so I decided to upgrade my guitar. I totally spazz out on this guitar when I'm playing, it doesn't back down. The tuners were perfect, stays in tune even after pounding the living crap outta it. The strap buttins have held on to some spins and stuff so theyr solid. I would depend on this thing to play a Live show, but I would always keep a back up, you never know what could happen. The finish seems very thick and rock solid, I've given this thing some pretty good wacks and I can't even see anything, there is a hard lamination over this thing. // 9

Overall Impression: In my band I play progressive-symphonic-gothic-metal. Which is a pretty intense genre using lots of diferent tempos and techniques and this guitar can definetly hold it's own. I've only been playing for about 3 years but I'e played everyday fpr hours since the day I got my first guitar, and I only have this li Strat and Line 6 Spider III with a DigiTech Metal Master. I probably shoulve asked if they had another one rather than the floor model. IF it were lost or stolen I'd buy another one at such a price. The thing I love the most is the sound it's deadly. I compared this to a Jackson Rhoads and this one seemed to have a more fuller sound and was easier to play to me. I only wish there was a wammy bar. Final Thoughts: If your looking into buying a good all around guitar or just like metal this guitar is for you, especially if your on a budget like me. You will never find another guitar with this kinda qaulity in this price range. // 9

ML XM Reviewed by: 666-JoE-666, on july 02, 2008

Purchased from: PMT Technology

Features: I'm not too sure about when it was made, but it has a very light weight Paulownia wood, which makes it perfect for standing up playing. I know for a fact it was made in China as it clearly states on the back. It has 22 frets, 21 of them I find very easy to reach. the XM has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge and 2 open humbuckers which hav a pretty good sound. Nothing was included when I bought this guitar, as with most guitars these days, you don't get a bag, strap, or anything like that. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal such as Slipknot, Bullet For My valentine and Black Stone Cherry and this guitar handles it all pretty well. I am using a Line 6 Spider III with this guitar, also a Dunlop Crybaby Wah and Behringer OD100 Distortion Pedal, and the sounds it very smooth, it's not at all noisy. It's also very quiet whilst changing pickups, there no click or crackle to be heard. This guitar can produce anything from smooth clean tones, to distorted death-metal sounds very well, very good sound for a low end guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was suppringly well set up from the factory, I haven't had to adjust it what so ever, the pickups were at perfect height, the strings at a good height and no bows in the neck. The only thing that lets this guitar down is the quality of the finish, I haven't had this guitar for 3 weeks, and already the top wing of the V is scrathed badly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar dosent feel the most sold built of guitars, mainly because it's so light, but I think it could withstand Live playing quite well, depending on the condition it's been kept in and the type of case you are using with it. The hardware seems quite solid, also seeming that it will last for a good long time without being replaced. I would use this at a gig no problems, but not without a backup, same with any guitar weather it's a Gibson or a Sqier. // 8

Overall Impression: The only thing I wish this guitar had is a Floyd Rose, but other than this, it seems very well built, good quality construction and good quality humbuckers or the price. If this were lost or stolen I would most likely save up for a Razorback, but this being said, I would more than happily buy another one of these ML-XM's to Mod. Before buying I compared this guitar to a Epiphone SG Flametop, I prefered this one mainly because of the weight, and the feel on the neck and body, it's also very comfterble to play. // 9

ML XM Reviewed by: Th6r6a6sH, on july 18, 2008

Features: There are no clues as to the year or country of manufacture on this guitar, but from a quick scan, a 22-fret bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fretboard is noted, along with the med-dark stained natural Paulownia ML-shape body, a Tune-O-Matic bridge with string thru tailpiece, non-locking stock tuners, stock pickups, and one-volume one-tone, passive H/H format with 3-way switch makes up the hardware and electronics of this guitar. I purchased this guitar without a cable or strap, or any accessory of any kind, and I feel the deal didn't need any sweetening. // 8

Sound: My sound is heavily influenced by classic metal acts such as Puppets-era Metallica, and Rust-era Megadeth, but varies in style through Alice in Chains, all the way into Guns N' Roses and Stevie Ray Vaughan blues. Every type of rock I throw into this guitar, it throws it right back at me, and nearly decapitates me every time. I run this guitar dry through my Marshall MG100HDFX, and have never had an issue on tone nor feedback when cranked up that couldn't be solved by moving away, and every sound I wanted out of this guitar has been faithfully kicked out. Because it is dual humbucker, really only the warmer tones on that end of the spectrum can be achieved, but they are accessed with no difficulty and all the punch and bite of a string-thru. Of all the bite and warmth a bridge pickup can put out, and the round, smooth tone a neck pickup provides, this guitar can adeptly blow them all out. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Since this was purchased at a pawn shop, I believe someone had the knowledge of how to set up this axe before they pawned it. The action was nice and low to my preference, and intonation was superb when I bought it. The pickups were at nominal adjustments, not too far off the strings, or slightly slanted. Not a single scratch or nick on it. all the hardware was in good shape, no rust, no finish flaws, and everything felt broken-in, ready for me to shred 'em up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've taken this on a few gigs, and every time it's gotten the reaction I wanted with it. Minimal tuning slippage, even if I kill the strings, rock-solid hardware, and no slipping of the strap buttons, which is one of my worst tics. I've never not been able to depend on this guitar, but for safety and variety, I bring along my Squier Stagemaster just in case of string breakage or whatever. If the finish ever wears, which doesn't seem too likely, I'd be ready to give it a custom paint job, or a newer stained finish, just to let the audience have something to behold. I definitely rely on my axe to kick out what I slam into it, and it never disappoints. // 7

Overall Impression: I like to play hard rock for the kids at school, and the radical shape of the ML is enough to turn quite a few heads, which is what I'm really after. Four years of playing has taught me to let my playing do the crazy stuff, let my guitar scream at the crowd, and don't put on an attitude that isn't me. but smiling and laughing maniacally doesn't Hurt. If someone took my ML, which I have named "Damien" because I admire it so much, I'd have to break some skulls open to get him back. Of, course, if I couldn't, I'd definitely coin up to another string-thru model. Without the Floyd trem my Squier has, the ML is a lot lighter, and I especially appreciate how comfortable it is to stand with, and how easy and comfortable it is to do ridiculous poses with little effort. Overall, this is an edgy guitar that I knew had to be mine from the moment I picked it up. // 9

ML XM Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2009

Purchased from: Reidys

Features: This guitar was made in China, it has a 22 fret scale, with a maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard, and a lightweight (first thing I noticed about this guitar) dark wood stained Paulowinia body in the distinctive ML shape. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, passive Dean stock humbuckers, with one volume control, one tone control, and a 3-way selector, it also has stock tuners which are non-locking. This guitar came with a gig bag for an extra 10. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest etc.) and it sounds perfect for this. Both distorted and clean, on either pickup, this guitar sounds great. I only use a Marshall MG10 and a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 pedal. Of course, what with this being an 175 guitar, the pickups COULD be better, but I can't complain for this price, at the moment, I'm saving up for an EMG 81/60 set to improve this, but apart from that, it sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was flawless from the moment i picked it up... no fret buzz whatsoever, the pickups were adjusted well, the controls were set perfectly, the body finish was and still is flawless, perfect. :) // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the chance to use this guitar Live, but I reckon it'd survive a gig without hassle. the hardware is sturdy, and will last a while, my strap has never fallen off my guitar once, the finish is durable, and shows no sign of wearing after 5 months of playing (and I certainly play it a lot). // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, and a bit of punk and rock, and this guitar fits the bill perfectly. I've only been playing for roughly 7 months, and I own A Marshall MG10, A Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and a 1990 Jackson Dinky. When I bought this I also tried a Dean V, and a Jackson King V, both were over 100 more expensive than this ML, but the ML impressed me more than both of them in all ways. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I'd definitely buy another ML, this is by far the best guitar in it's price range. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014