Psychobilly Cabbie Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 12/05/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Psychobilly Cabbie
Archtop hollow-bodied electric guitar with f-holes, 16" lower bout, 24 3/4" scale length, black hardware including vintage-style tremolo system. Dual humbucking pickups.
 8.6
 8.4
 8.8
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Psychobilly Cabbie Reviewed by: AcDc_1337, on december 05, 2005

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: 2004 Dean Psychobilly archtop guitar. Made in Korea or Japan or somethign of mid quality. 22 fret with rosewood board. Listed on ebay as "unknown" woodtype so hopefully not plywood or something else terrible. doesnt sound like it atleast. The Dean website is no help either. Awesome Cabbie finish. Eye tickler I think. ES-3XX style body, archtop etc. Tune-O-Matic bridge, with bigsby style trem. Passive Dean Humbuckers (sound OK, don't know if they are upgradeable either, there is no back plate or anything), 2 vol, 2 tone controls for the Dual humbuckers. Grover tuners, locking I'd presume. Hardshell case came iwth it, and it barely fits inside. 8 because teh humbuckers are not so great, and maybe not even upgradeable. // 8

Sound: For acoustic sound, it's great, its nearly as loud as a real acoustic. Good for rhythm acoustic, or something like that. It's got a real rockabilly sound to it, but it has an edge that sticks out, metal-a-billy? I use it with out an amp usually, but if I do plug in, I plug into a Fender Frontman 65R. Sometimes a Boss MT-2. the pickups aer kind of strange, I used to get a high pitched hum from the bridge pickup, but if I push it, it goes away, so I adjusted it with a screw driver and its ok now. Like I said, it can be acoustic and rock-a-billy and metal-a-billy. so you can go from Lynyrd Skynyrd, to AC/DC to shred (high frets hard to reach, rhythm shred) to something metal with that Skynyrd tone, very versatile, and interesting. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar, the way I recieved it, needs a setup badly the high frets go way out of pitch, maybe the neck is set badly. I hope not, but it still gets out of pitch at the higher frets. The pickups could also use adjustment, I just don't have the cash to go get it all set up and adjusted nicely. I need to go take to a local shop to get all this fixed up and nice, dont have all the cash for it right now though (not that it's that much, but I've got a project going). Everything else is nice and fit. When I use the bigsby vibrato it comes out of tune. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm positive that this guitar could stand gigs. it looks good enough to stick out at a gig also. the hardware will hold with the poorest care. the strap buttons could be upgraded to locking (why don't all gutiars just come standard with locking). I would depend on this guitar for its acoustic sound, so I wouldn't need a backup for that really, but electric is another story at this point. The finish will stay for a lot of years, and it will fade nicely I think. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, metal, and blues. this guitar is a perfect match for all of the above. I've been playing for almost near 3 years now, and have 3 other guitars, an ESP LTD EC-300 (Kerry King pickups installed), a 2001 Gibson Faded Flying V, and a 1984 Gibson Explorer. I have a Fender Frontman 65R as stated earlier, and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. I wish there was something more deffinate about being able to upgrade the pickups, and the neck to be correct. I think I would get something different a second time around, just to get a better grasp of archtop guitars but I do like the colors etc. of the Deans. I love the acoustic resonance of this guitar, its nice and loud, fits with an acoustic will. I really don't hate anything about the guitar, I just hope the neck can be fixed. I didn't really compare this guitar to anything else, I just wanted the acoustic sound, and looked at Ibanez's and this one came at me, and stuck out the most. I wish it had better pickups, Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set would do it a world of wonder. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014