Razorback 255 Review

review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback 255 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2009

Price paid: A$ 2700

Purchased from: Guitar Brothers, Brisbane

Features: Two tone black and silver finish Korean built and bought it in 2007 Set neck or neck through, whichever it is. Active EMG 81 and 85 Grover tuners Licenced Floyd Rose 25.5inch scale, black bound 24 fret neck 2 volume, 1 tone, 1 3 way Switch Came with Dean case and usual allen keys and springs Any other details can be found from the Dean website or similar. // 8

Sound: I play metal and only metal and pick up choice suits it very nicely. I use a Fender 15g amp with a MT-2 or just my Bugera 6260 stack and the gain is massive using say a gain setting of 4 out of 10 with ten being the most, so you don't need alot of gain to get a nice heavy distorted tone. This is same for Standard or drop tuning very balanced between chunky lows and ringing highs. Clean setting is very bright and full. Enough sustain to please most guitarists, which is awesome for using the floyd with or without using harmonics to make it scream. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up nicely from the store where I bought it from in Standard, but I have tweaked the pick up height to experiment and its now in Drop C using DR Alexi Laiho 10-56 strings, and even though I paid enough money to have it set up twice it will buzz on the low frets on the E and A string i.e C and G. Don't know if I can fix it by raising the floyd to stop it but without stupid string height. Bit to heavy for my liking but it is a BIG guitar. High fret access is good despite the lower horn restricting your hand and the strap button on the back of the neck and the heel of the neck also restricting your thumb to move down the neck to allow a more controled grip. Usual cosmetic flaws such as black crome rubing off or oxidising on the bridge, and paint flaws where there is a thin line of wood exposed where the bound neck meets the neck.(its only about 2cm in length and thin as a strand of hair and its under the clear coat so no need to worry) // 8

Reliability & Durability: All guitars will withstand anything as long as you look after it, its just common sense. I have seen pictures of razorbacks with damaged horns so I guess it has weak points in the pointy bits, but I have own this guitar for about 2 years now and while I have lightly bumped the horns on various surfaces it hasn't damaged the paint as far is I can tell. And 2 years worth of pick scratches are hardly noticable in most light but it is getting its fair share of surface scratches. Standard strap buttons are solid but I have replaced them with Schaller locking ones to avoid strap rash and dropping it as it is a heavy guitar. I've gone without changing strings for over 3 months at a time and using the floyd alot in some instances and its stayed in tune pretty good considering and I have never had a string break on me, but I would gig with a backup just in case because shit can happen. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've said before I play metal only and the body style and pick up choice matches it, its just obvious, if someone came on stage with a razorback they probaly aren't going to play some whimpy... Probaly. This guitar just screams Metal. If it were stolen or lost I would get something else just because. But having said that it is a awesome guitar and I love it. I've owned this guitar for about 2 years and there are only 5 things I would change on this guitar (I've done some of them, others I can't fix) 1. The wind on tremelo bar is crap, its a dumb cheap idea so I've replaced the arm assemebly wiht a proper one that screws onto the bridge so I can have torque on the arm, orginal Floyd Rose players will know what I'm talking about. 2. It's a heavy guitar especaially on the left shoulder, I'm always adjusting the strap posistion on my shoulder when standing and playing for awhile. 3. Neck strap button restricts thumb placement but you can get used to this or you can do this... 4. I've replaced the strap buttons with locking schaller and cut away some of my dunlog strap to stop my thumb and hand from being restriced, also using schaller buttons it also makes the strap to be further away from the guitar therefore easier playing. I've also seen people moving the strap button placement about 2.5cm down the neck to overcome this problem, whether this creates more problems I don't know. And last... 5. The lead jack placement on the bottom horn is not the best idea in my opinion, you will need a right angle lead with this guitar. Side note. This is my first review I hope this is a more informative type of review addressing issues and living with this guitar unlike some reviews I've read where its all about the features and why some guitars are better than this one and other useless bullshit. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014