Razorback DB Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 11/17/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback DB
It's neck and body is made of maple, it has no liscenced Floyd Rose or tremolo, it has a bolt-on neck, and it has Dean pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 9.2
 6.8
reviews (5) pictures (1) 65 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback DB Reviewed by: CoB_HaTeCrEw_67, on may 18, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Back in 2007, Dean Guitars decided to make a Razorback with different and lower quality equipment that is aimed for people Who feel the Razorback is overpriced but still want the quality and design of the U.S. Razorback. Unlike it's higher priced predecessers it's neck and body is made of maple instead of mahogany, it has no liscenced Floyd Rose or tremolo, it has a bolt-on neck instead of set-in construction, and it has Dean pickups instead of EMG or Seymor Duncan and DiMarzio. Just like most guitars it comes with volume and tone control knobs, a pickup Switch (3-way), and a case to put it in (lite-leer). // 7

Sound: The Razorbacik DB suits metal and pretty much any other syle of music very well. I play it with a Fender Deluxe 900 amp with a Boss metalcore distortion pedal. This guitar sounds amazing, not only with distortion but also with a clean tone witch makes it good for playing more than just metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was put together very well.The pickups aren't adjusted perfectly, but it's good enough for it's price range. The only problem I've had with it is that when I'm playing in drop B or drop C it tends to go out of tuning easily, other than that it's a great guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I know for a fact that I wouldn't need a backup for this guitar if I played with it at a gig. I've beaten the living crap out of this thing and it still works just the same as when I bought it. I won't have to buy a new guitar for a long time that's for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar especially if your playing metal music. Still though, if this guitar got lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again.When I was looking at new guitars (After purchasing this one) I found a few guitars that are better than this one around it's price range, but if you're a fan of the Razorback and can't afford the more expensive ones this is the guitar for you. // 9

Razorback DB Reviewed by: Exodus Fall, on november 25, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in 2007. I have no idea where it was made..possibly Korea. 22 Frets, nice n thin neck. Rosewood fretboard. The neck is maple and odd enogh about mine is that its bodywood is Mahogany (I know this because a dime-sized chip revealed the bare wood on the back of the guitar. The finish is a solid black. Razorback styled, but later I painted on a Zakk Wylde Bullseye finish. Tune-o-matic bridge, passive electronics, 2 vol 1 tone, 3 way pickup selector. The stock pickups are just the Dean generic passive humbuckers. and it is equipped with grover tuners. // 9

Sound: I am running this bad boy through a Line 6 75Whd stack. i bought this thing so cheaply because its wiring was defective ...I fixed that up and turns out the pickup selector shorted out, so the neck pickup was always on, so it gave it a more chucky sound...later I added later a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker (which has a lot of treble) and it sounds amazing..this guitar completely suits my musical style (Heavy Metal) I can easyily produce harmonic squeals ala Zakk Wylde, insanely powerful riffs like that of the late-great Dimebag darrell. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fairly high for my tastes. The pickups and wireing were faulty (but remember all guitars are different..even one of the same make and model). Yeah this guitar was flawed..but thats what gives it it's personallity. the bridge is fine.. the finish is perfect..and its overall pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could gig this, no backup, no worries. The only problem I've had with the finish was the little chip on the back. But thats it. The buttons are completely solid...and the hardware aint goin nowhere. I have giggd it a few times..its a sure thing that this will Drive the cround crazy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal..from Thrash to Groove, from Death to Classic. It is a fantastic match for my playing. I've been playing for about 3 years. I own a Peavey Rotor EX, BC Rich Avenge SOB, Fender Std. Strat. If it was stolen I would kill to get it back...but if thats out of the question I wouldn't buy another one..this one isnt the same as the other ones. I love the overall shape of it...its pretty freaking gnarley. // 10

Razorback DB Reviewed by: zachsquatch68, on december 25, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I bought this over the summer, made in the U.S. And has 22 frets. Also has a rosewood fingerboard with a bolt on maple neck. Body is basswood and has a scale of 23-3/4". Fast neck and very nice finish on it. It has a Floyd Rose bridge and 3-way volume switch. Pearl inlays with the signature DIme razor necklace on the 12th fret. Dean-designed humbuckers, black hardware, Grover tuners, and gripped volume knobs. Came with a soft case which hasn't failed me yet. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock/metal. I use it with a DigiTech Metal effect pedal and a small 15 watt practice amp. It sounds amazing and I have had no problems with noise // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well at the factory and everything came out fine, no flaws rus or anything. My only problem was with tuning it. I had never used a Floyd Rose before and had no idea how to tune it or change a string, ended up breaking a string trying to tune it. Other than that, perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar live and didn't even need to touch my back-up guitar. Stayed in tune, looked and sounded amazing. Hardware hasn't loosened up at all and this guitar is extremely dependable and I would (and have) use it in a gig with no backup. The finish seems to be staying on and hasn't seem to have worn down at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal and this guitar is perfect for it. I have been playing about 4 years now and I own a Fender Strat as well. If this were lost or stolen I would buy another one, or a BC Rich Mockingbird seeing as I have always wanted one. I love the sustain and the looks of this guitar. It's a tad heavy but I have no other complaints about it. My favorite feature would have to be the Floyd Rose Bridge. When I bought it I was torn between this and a BC Rich Mockingbird. I chose this one based on shape and reviews I had heard from my friends. Amazing Guitar all together though. // 10

Razorback DB Reviewed by: rickyj, on february 23, 2010

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: I just recently bought this Dean Razorback DB Floyd guitar from Musicians friend for $450. I'm not sure what year it was made, but it was made in china. It has a Maple neck, Basswood body, and Rosewood fingerboard. It has 22 frets with a thin 24-3/4 scale neck, grover tuners, Floyd Rose special bridge and locking nut, that stays in-tune amazingly well. 2 Dean DMT design humbucker pickups with a 2 volume, 1 tone, and 3-way switch setup sound great. The guitar came in with a fitted Lite Leer case that can The classic black finish and all black hardware look amazing with the Razorback body design. // 9

Sound: I play Heavy Metal (think Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc...) and this guitar sounds great through my Line 6 Spider Valve 112. With the stock DMT design pickups, I can get a very heavy tone like "Master Of Puppets" Metallica, or I can turn down the gain and get a nice crunchy Angus Young AC/DC tone. Although I plan on replacing the DMT pickups with Seymour Duncan Blackouts the stock pickups sound good enough for the price. This guitar doesn't have a great clean tone, but hey this thing wasn't meant to play clean. This thing is a metal machine that can seriously melt some faces. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight from the factory the guitar needed some adjustments. Of course it needed tuned first of all but thats to be expected (remember this is a Floyd Rose, so this takes about 20 minutes the first time). The action was perfect but the Floyd Rose and the pickups needed everything setup. I had to set the intonation which is a pain on Floyd Rose bridges, also I had to tighten the springs because the bridge was pulled to far forward when it was in E Standard tuning, and I raised the pickups closer to the strings. Make sure you know your way around a Floyd Rose before you buy this guitar so that you know how to set it up properly yourself and don't have to take it to a shop that will charge you $20. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gotten a chance to play with this battle axe live yet, but I'm sure it would hold up fine. The only problem I see with this guitar is the fact that this thing is HUGE. It weighs around 11 lbs, so expect a sore shoulder if you plan on running around, jumping up and down onstage with this thing for and hour or 2 (I need the exercise anyways, hehe). The hardware seems like it will last for a long time, all but the volume knobs which can be pulled of pretty easily. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, every time I look at this it puts an evil grin on my face. This guitar matches my style perfectly. If this guitar was stolen I would buy 2 more. It was absolutely worth the $450. The only thing I wish it had was some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which I plan on buying anyways. If your looking for a great, high quality intermediate level guitar, this is it. // 10

Razorback DB Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2010

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Features: Dean's Greatest guitar, only cheaper. I have had mine for 3 months. Mine is a Killswitch with a floyd on it. I love the floyd, you can do squeals and divebombs just like dime did. The killswitch gives a nice strobe when you want it to, but I just use mine between songs to keep feedback off. Not a buzzy guitar at all. I switched the bridge pickup to a dave mustaine livewire. Satin black finish makes me want to f*** it. Love this bitch! 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 killswitch. Tuners are great, grovers. Made in china, but a great quality guitar. Bolt-on neck give best tone. Good access to 21st fret means EPIC solos. // 10

Sound: Straight up metal guitar, from thrash to groove, from classic to death metal. I play Thrash, as in megadeth, anthrax, slayer. Metallica sold out, so they blow now, but I play pre sellout Metallica. This guitar can do anything. The ONLY thing it doesn't do is blues. Great warm sound. I use it with a Peavey Renown Solo Series 450w amp. I was playing a Gibson marauder, and it sucked. I traded it for the Peavey and this axe. I love the choice I made. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up okay, I had to raise the pickups it was in drop c. Drop tunings suck. If you're not heavy enough in regular, then you suck too. Flawless guitar except the bastard at guitar center chipped it on the back when he took it down. Should have stabbed the idiot. No routing problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have personally played this live, so I know it doesn't need a backup. I'm a clumsy-ass though, so I use one anyway. Straps are solid, everything good. Finish is great, I've beat the hell out of it, not a scratch. I broke my old B.C. Rich in 2 months. This guitar has lasted 3, and without a scratch on it, besides the dime sized chip on the back. Insanely reiable. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for thrash metal. Inane guitar. I own an Ibanez, and this kills it. I wish I had bought 2. If it were lost or stolen, I would kill the bastard who stole it with the guitar. I love the spikes on it, but I hate the one on the top that stabs my stomach when I sit down with it. If you like dime, buy this guitar. If you like metal, buy this guitar. Love the floyd, I can play it for a week without having to tune it. I compared this to every Gibson out there and it kills 'em all. My only wish is that it played itself. Best 499 I've ever spent. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014