Razorback DB Biomechanical Review

7.3
review (1) pictures (3) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback DB Biomechanical Reviewed by: Tomayo88, on january 30, 2012

Purchased from: Intersales Music Kettering

Features: The guitar I purchased included: - Basswood Top / Body - 24-3/4" Scale - 1-11/16" Nut - Bolt-On Maple C Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - Pearl Dime Razor Inlays - Grover Tuners - Black Hardware - Floyd Rose Special Bridge - Dean DMT Design Humbucker Pickups - Light Weight Case Included - "Biomechanical" Custom Graphic // 8

Sound: I play a lot of kinds of music ranging from blues (bands like Cream) to Death Metal (Behemoth, Death, etc). I'm using a small Marshall 15W amp, with a Dime Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. The guitar sounds great for Metal and good for Rock and Blues. For Metal I would give it a 8.5/10 and a 7.5/10 for Rock and Blues. The guitar has a good, chunky sound and is able to make different tones by changing the tonal settings. Low tone = a very Black Sabbath sounding tone, and high = very sharp and full-sounding. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived and was out of tune, but that's to be expected when it comes from thousands of miles away (from America). The action was just fine, and I didn't need to tweak it at all. In fact, the only thing I needed to tweak was the tuning. The pick-ups were fine and the bridge was also fine. There was no rusting, bad quality wood, broken hardware, missing pieces, etc. Overall, I think it was set up very well for my liking. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing, definitely. It's a good, strong guitar and has withstood me accidentally hitting it off of the amp pretty hard and it scraping across a wall (oops, stupid me). The hardware has lasted very well and I expect it to last for a long while to come. This is a very dependable guitar, however I'm not sure if I'd use it without a backup guitar live, but only because of past experiences with any technology - it always seems to mess up on me! (Technology, not the guitar). // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing anything from blues to rock to Metal for round about 5 and a half years now, mostly Metal. I own a Fender Strat, a B.C. Rich KK Beast and a Valencia acoustic I inherited from my great grandad. In comparison, the Dean is my favourite of the four guitars. I don't wish that I'd asked anything else beforehand as I was given good, reliable information from Intersales and everything they told me was correct, I've found out. If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely replace it - if I had the money! I'm not a money tree, haha. I love the neck thickness, as it is perfect for my hand size. The guitar is quite weighty but I prefer that in a guitar as I've been used to it for years. The tremolo system was a great addition - I love it. The Grover tuners are very good and I rarely have to tune all of the strings - just the low E string and any other strings if I replace any. I compared it with a Jackson and an ESP, but chose this because it felt great to me and was within my budget of 400, and the ESP was about 750 and the Jackson 255. I chose the Dean over the Jackson as it felt better to play. I only wish it had an extra 3 frets as I can't hit Chuck Schuldiner notes, haha! // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014