Razorback DB Killswitch Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 04/20/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback DB Killswitch
This thing delivers insane pinch harmonics. It's got a full sound, not a fat chubby sound but it's full like a punch to the face.
 6.6
 8.4
 4.7
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback DB Killswitch Reviewed by: sixchain, on april 20, 2012

Features: 21 fret, jumbo fret in rosewood fretboard, satin/flat black finish with the classic Dimebag "X" body made of basswood, Tune-O-Matic bridge, through body, Dimebag knobs for a volume and tone knob, bright green killswitch, 3-way selector, two Dean humbuckers, Grover tuners, came with a biga-s hardshell Dean case. The flat black finish is a pain in the a-s to clean and stains easy. So if your looking for something pretty forget this. That friggin killswitch as my downfall. Its in the worst f--king position ever. Its pretty much at the end of the tail (no where near the bridge) but it works so what else can I say? The knobs kick a-s, its like someone soldered or drilled above the numbers for fast control. The bridge is easy to care for and this thing holds its tuning well. You can drop to C, that's as low as I dare. The bridge and humbuckers all compliment the right hand. It doesn't feel awkward like you get with alot of those bridges. // 9

Sound: The body pickup is my favorite but the mid and neck selections also sound great. I play alot of metal like Lamb Of God and Metallica on this and you can tell she'd bred for metal. Its like a pitbull biting at your ankles when you play! Thing is f--king hostile! And it delivers insane pinch harmonics. Its got a full sound, not a fat chubby sound but its full like a punch to the face. The bridge is inset up with a tune-o-matic then runs down to form a v through body. This is awesome because you can bend it and pick down there and it makes some crazy sounds. I have .09s in mine but I used to have .10s. Its feels better with a set of thin strings. The neck is real thin allowing for slides, hammer-ons, and speed. You can bang this guitar around and it all stays tight. It has good sustain. The killswitch is so-so. You gotta push it fully down to activate it but when you let got it comes right back with no disruption. Its very clean and crisp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was SH-T, then again the place where I bought it doesn't really keep up on the guitars. I set it up when I got home and it was beautiful. Low and NO rattle whatsoever. The pickups where fine. The bridge holds sustain as well as tuning. In mine there's a wood flaw in the neck. It looks almost like the headstock got whacked around and they glued it, but further inspection: its just a mistake from the saw or the plain. The satin finish is such a pain in the ass. It doesn't clean easy but looks good if you really lay into it. The pickup selector was loose. Doesn't affect the sound though and barley noticeable. The hardware is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just like any guitar with a killswitch you want a back up. It would be great for live playing. I've had it for a while and so far the electronics haven't failed. Hardware will definitely last. I put Grover strap locks on it because I don't trust any standard buttons. The are definitely solid. The finish will most likely be gone in the next couple years. It's pretty sh-tty. // 7

Overall Impression: If someone stole it I'd definitely buy a different guitar. This ones descent but its a beast. It's wayyyyy too big, as in takes up the whole backseat of my car in the case. I actually thought about cutting the extra wings off but I kept em. I abhor the killswitch placement. Don't expect any quick kills because its about 6 inches behind the bridge. I was going to buy a LTD solo guitar and I regret it now. Not that I don't like the guitar but for my life style it doesn't fit. And I barely play metal anymore which is all that its good for. It sits on the rack until I'm in a metal mood. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014