Razorback Slime Bumblebee Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 08/05/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback Slime Bumblebee
The Dean Dimebag Darrell Razorback is a set-neck guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo, plus Dimebucker treble pickup. With a pearl razor inlay and mahogany body and neck, this guitar features the Dimebag traction knobs, black hardware, and a rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 66 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback Slime Bumblebee Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2006

Features: This is a brand new model so guessing it was made early 2006. It's the third Razorback in history to touch British soil, so it's pretty rare. It's a full mahogany body with a set mahogany neck and fingerboard with 22 frets and Grover tuners. The neck has a triangular cross-section so it's easier to get all your fingers round it whilst keeping a relaxed position. It came with a black finish with silver bevelling round the edges (kinda like the stealth), but it also comes in green bumblebee, bone shards and a cool explosion finish. This isn't an USA model so you can't get the rusted metal or dixie flag finishes. The body is basically an ML, only the points have been extended then sawn down to sharp points, and I mean really sharp points. It also has two volume dials with a master tone control, which I don't think anyone ever uses on any guitar, with Dimebag style traction holes on the volume dials. The pickups it comes with are a Seymour Duncan SH1 in the neck and a Dimebucker in the bridge along with a liscensed floyd rose, though I'm thinking of adding EMGs to the mix instead. although I didn't ask for one it came with a case anyway, probably because Dean refuses to ship them without protection. // 10

Sound: I play Metal and nothing else, no funk or blues or country stuff, just straight up chunky riffing and this guitar suits it absolutely perfectly. I use it through a DigiTech GNX4 into a Line 6 Spider II, but I'm gonna get a Randall head and cab soon, and it absolutely rocks, you couldnt ask for a more perfectly rounded sound. I wouldn't call it warm, but I wouldn't say it was bright either, its in some sort of parrallel dimension between the two where perfect sound exists. The SH1 is great for solos and speed picking a la Michael Angelo, but I was expecting more crunch form the Dimebucker, it doesn't sound all that different to the Wilkinson cheapos I have in my old guitar. Nonetheless, it gives a big enough chugg anyway so its not too much of a biggie. Without a noisegate this is an incredibly buzzy guitar, mostly due to the high gain on the pickups, but again it doesn't put you off that much. One thing I love about this guitar is the ability to create pinch harmonics so easily, you can do it accidentally sometimes but pinchers sound great so who cares? If I needed to look and sound like a guitar god onstage, I would reach for this guitar no question, it just blitzes the opposition in terms of tone and playability (even Ibanez and Parker). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was strung with D'Addario strings, which cost nearly twice as much as my normal Rotosound Oranges. They'd even strung them and wound them so that all the tuning pegs were perpendicular to the headstock instead of just randomly turned. The action was high but that doesn't bother me as I prefer to bend the strings more than most people do. The pickups were at exactly the right level, just a few mm above the surround. The Dimebucker even has a custom surround so that you can fit any other pickup in it. There is nothing I can say except that this gutar came packaged as perfect, absolutely nothing was rushed or shoddily done. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to use this guitar at a proper gig, bt I've used it in front of small crowds and its sounding even better than it used to. I have no doubt that it would withstand a proper gig, the finish is as solid as a rock, the floyd rose seems like it will never go out of tune and the electronics seem better quality than the stuff you get in PCs. No matter who sees it, they will just get blown away by the sheer look of the thing, wondering how it can possibly be that sharp (I've already cut myself on it). I would never go to a gig without a backup but my old Wraith would almost always be stuck in its box for the entire night if I took this. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would say that this is pretty much the perfect guitar for anyone wanting to become a rock god. I've only been playing for 2.5 years but hats long enough for me to know what's good and whats not, and this is good indeed. I compared it with a few ESPs and Jacksons but the only guitars I can find which are better to play and sound better are the USA versions of the same guitar, which cost about 3000 each. I could talk about how good it is for weeks. If it ever gt stolen, I would hunt the bastards down-The Crow style, before buying it again. I only wish it was a bit smaller, as it its a bitch to handle in enclosed spaces. // 10

Razorback Slime Bumblebee Reviewed by: hairyjonny, on august 05, 2008

Purchased from: Billy Bowmans

Features: Purchased in early 2008, I believe this was made around late 2007, it came with a Dean hard case, which is very useful for lugging the beast around. It's got 22 frets on a gorgeous rosewood fingerboard which makes playing it a dream. The first thing you notice as you take the spiky creature out the case, is how big it is, an how luscious it looks, suprisingly, it weighs less than my squire Telecaster. As the razorback was out of tune when I got it out the box, I tuned it using the very nice grover tuners, and plugged in to my trusty Marshall. The thin neck fitted perfectly in my palm, which slid up and down it with ease. The razorback comes with two seymour duncans, the bridge being the famous dimebucker, but it was the neck which I played through first, clean it gave a really nice smooth tone, perfect for some Deep Purple style soloing, and when I crank up the gain, perfect for some old blues, it sounds even better when playing fast. But the gem in this extreme piece of kit, is the bridge humbucker, with the gain down, it provided a dirty rock n roll tone, that set me grooving for a while, but I decided I should treat it the way it begged to be treated, and whacked up the gain to full, and to quote total guitar "headed straight to dimesville". It gave the best metal tone I have heard in a long time, and Pantera classics such as mouth for war, and cowboys from hell, sounded realistic, and devilishly brutal, pinch harmonics squealed the way they do in fairy tales, and the upper frets screamed as I shredded up the fretboard with some "domination". Whammy bar theatrics were easy thanks to the lovely Floyd Rose. The middle of the 3-way pickup selector takes the clean pearl like subteltys of the neck humbucker, and the dirty unbridled violence of the bridge humbucker, to produce some lovely twisted noises. All in all this is a brutal machine, capable of providing mass slabs of wicked distortion, or dream like clean sounds, or a combination of the two, even when plugged into an old cheap 15 watt Marshall, this still annihialated my front room. // 10

Sound: Does it suit my music style? Baring in mind I bought it for the playability and how well it plays metal, yes, it suits it fantastically. I played my Razorback straight through to a Marshall 15 watt VR, with no effects, and it still sounded amazing. Is it noisy? Well when I turn up the volume, yes, and even when the volume turns up and it sounds like it's going to break up, the Razorback holds it all together, and releases some savage noises. Disturbingly, what I thought was a metal maniac, can also produce some very convincing mellow blues, luscious jazz, or sleazy rock 'n' roll, as well as balls to the wall metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect as soon as it came out the factory, no problems there. The pickups were ready to be played, and they played well. It was everything you'd expect a 730 quid Dean razorback to be, everything was perfect from day one, except changing strings, which is a bastard on a Floyd Rose. The only flaws mine had, was for some strange reason, I was missing the 19th fret marker on the side of the neck, it looked like someone had gone to add it, slipped, scratched it off, and quickly painted back over it before anyone noticed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played Live a few times, and it plays fantastically well in a gig situation, because of its lightness I can thrash it around a bit while firing off songs. The hardware does seem to last, except the actual whammy bar itself, which seems to erode the gun metal finish quite a bit from sweat. The strap buttons are very solid. Snapped a string once while playing though, which obviously as it's a Floyd Rose, put the whole thing completely out of tune! // 9

Overall Impression: Absoloutely fantastic. I would buy it again, I would play it forever. It is gorgeous, and brutal, in one twisted slab of mahogany. I compared it to the Dean ML, and decided this was better as it had a thinner neck, and sounded better when plugged into something. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014