Razorback Two-Tone Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback Two-Tone
This is a set-neck guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo, plus Dimebucker treble pickup. With a pearl razor inlay and mahogany body and neck, this guitar features the Dimebag traction knobs, black hardware, and a rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 8.3
reviews (7) 95 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: Deathbd, on august 30, 2006

Purchased from: New York

Features: The Razorback was designed by the late Dimebag Darrel and is made in the USA. The neck has 22 rosewood jumbo frets with razorblade mother-of-pearl inlays and a special razorblade inlay on the 12. The shape is as metal as you can get, however the points can get bashed easily because of the size of the guitar. The size is also something you should think about before buying as when it's in the hardcase it leaves only 1 inch free in the car. It has a flyod rose original floating trem and sounds brill, and it never goes out of tune no matter how much you turn the tuning knobs when the nuts are tight. It has a 3-way toggle switch (neck, bridge, both pickups) and 2 volume and 2 tone controls. It comes with a seymour duncun dimebucker bridge pickup which gives great treble sound and allows the best harmonics. However I changed the Diazio neck pickup to a EMG 85 because I didn't think the diazio was that good. It came with 2 allen keys, 1 for the tune locks and 1 for the floyd rose and 1 spanner for the wammy. Apart from the bridge pickup this is the best guitar I have played and I have played gibsons, Jackson PRS. An amazing guitar. // 9

Sound: If you plan on playing blues do not buy this guitar, this axe was made to be pure metal. I use it with a Marshall AVT150 stack, Jim Dunlop Crybaby classic wah pedal and Line 6 Uber metal pedal. Using both pickups gives you a unbelievebly heavy sound, expecially whn the the Uber Metal kicks in, and the treble pickup gives you great squealing solos. This guitar is great for fast paced shredding, slow harmonicing solos, anytype of metal this can do. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There was absolutly nothing wrong when it came, the only thing I had to do was drop D it. I picked the two tone finish because I thought it was best basically. I was looking at the shards but close up I didn't like it as much so then I was going to get the explosion becos on the Dean website it had a lot of black and dark Orange around the edge but when I saw it 4 real it was almost all bright Orange. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar is pretty solid, the only thing I would say that it is easy to bash the points in a crambed space but on stage it is great. The finish s also pretty thick, the strap has never fallen off when I'm playing and I don't have strap locks. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want to play metal this guitar is the choice 4 u. I have been playing for just over 6 years now and this is the best buying choice I have made. I also have a Gibson SG and les paul and though they r both top quality guitars I would throw them both away for my Dean. If it was stolen, firstly I would hunt the guy down and then get another 1 the next day. I love everything about it from the shape, to the sound and I always get tht exitment like when you get a new guitar everytime I plug it in. The best feature I would say is the shape because it is not often you see a guitar like this, I would tht if it wasn't a guitar it would be a weapon because of the points. The only thing I which it had was the emg85 as standard because I think the sound is much better with it, I don't regret tht change at all. // 10

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: SMK626, on april 23, 2007

Features: I've purchased this guitar from Sam Ash after being so excited upon hearing of the release. It seemed so great at first but it is not worth the money. I believe it's a 06 model. Body and Neck are both mahogany. Neck features 22XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard with a V inlay and Razor on the 12th fret. The body is a extreme version of the ML. It has a black paint job with a silver lining. It's put together with a set-neck construction. The hardware is black and features a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo and grover tuners with a locking nut. The traction knobs are kinda cool, they seem to have this look like a solder iron was stuck into they and makes easy for volume and tone switching. It has a passive Dean humbucker neck with a Dimebucker in the bridge controled by a 3-way toggle. It included a case fit for it and the tools for the nut and bridge. For the money you are paying, it is a rip off to a licensed floyd rose. Not to mention a little Dean stock humbucker that they don't even name in the description. // 6

Sound: The sound is pretty good. The Dimebucker really shines with you have the gain on. Mean sustain and bite. Yet the Dean stock pickup is not as great. It's really chunky and doesn't really have a good tone. It was not that fit for me on distortion. It had a decent clean sound but had feedback here and there with it. This guitar is also very noisy and you will need a feedback gate for it. The high output Dimebucker makes lots of feedback. This guitar doesn't have too much variety with it. It's a straight forward metal guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was pretty decent. Perfect action. Perfect pickup adjustment. There is one problem though. The neck pickup for some reason tends to lower itself with time, which can get extremely annoying. Everything was perfect other then one thing. If you look at the back of the guitar closely you can see lines of where the guitar was glued together going through from the top to the bottom of the guitar. that's really disappointing when you buy a guitar that expensive. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand Live playing but I'm not sure for how long. I'm really questioning those lines on my guitar of where it's glued. Not only that but it has a extremely thin paint job. I compared that paint of it on all my guitars including my ESPs and a Ibanez and none of them had a paint job as thin as the one here. It chips easily. I think it'll wear with time. For those of you who would point out people like Trivium playing them Live, remember the fact that they have the US models that are not assembly line products. The only thing that will last I would say is the hardware. It does seem extremely durable. This guitar is also suprisingly balanced with the strap-buttons. Yet the lack of craftsmenship is a huge letdown for the price. // 4

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal but Switch on to different genres like blues, rock, and classical and so on. This does fit my metal needs but that is all. I own a ESP LTD EC-1000, Ibanez RGTHRG1, ESP Eclipse II, ESP LTD V-500, and a couple of others. This is one of the best when it comes to tone, yet one of the worst when it comes to craftsmenship and features. I mean it is kind of sad when a 600 dollar guitar is built better then this 1, 100 dollar guitar. It's not that bad of a guitar, but it is extremely over priced for what you are getting. If it were stolen, I would not buy another. I love the Dimebucker tone, But I hate the stock neck pickup and the craftmenship as well as the licensed floyd rose. Comparing with with the ESP LTD M-1000 which is 900 dollars, you get all the top features in the M (even a Original Floyd Rose) for just under a thousand and there both assembly line. If there is anything I wish, it is that I would have tried it out more and not have believed the hype. Just not bought this guitar period. As I said, Nice guitar, but Dean is ripping you off, The guitar should be $600-700 if anything. Don't buy it. I'm selling this guitar now. Just take my advice and look into the features of other guitars. It's a rip off. I can not have been more displeased. // 4

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: richardsmith199, on july 10, 2008

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

Features: This Korean built Dean screams metal. Pointy body, pointy head, even a pointy V shaped neck. 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, neck-tru (not bolt on, two passive pickups, 3-way toggle switch, 3 knobs (neck volume, Bridge volume, master tone, licensed Floyd Rose bridge, Grover tuners. Everything a metal musician needs (except for the extra two frets the razorback 255 has). // 9

Sound: I play metal, from thrash to heavy, and this guitar suits it perfectly. The low end especially has an incredible tone (symphony of destruction is perfect on this). The Seymour Duncan Dimebucker lives up to it's name, playing almost any style with a really good sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This came perfectly set up in Standard tuning. I have recently changed it to drop D, and the brige is still level enough to not need ajusting. If you plan on dropping to D Standard or below, you'll need to ajust the bridge, but that's the same with and guitar with the floating tremelo. There were no flaws whatsoever with this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is really well balanced, and lighter then it looks. I have No Doubt it would survive any Live playing, and destroy any competition. I would want a back up guitar however, but only to change to a different tuning mid-gig. I have accidently knocked it a few times (doorframes etc) and I can barely notice any difference in the paint job. In short, this guitar seems to have no drawbacks apart from the ones that any floyd'd guitar has. // 9

Overall Impression: An incredible guitar, Dimebag obviously knew exactly what he was doing. The only thing sharper then the body is the tone (and a knife, maybe). This can be sat down with like a V, or a Standard shaped guitar, so every's preference is seen to. The only bad things I can really say about this are. The massive price, but that's to be expected from a signature guitar from one of the greats. The strap button next to the fretboard could have been pushed back a bit as it restrics access to the upper frets slightly, but as long as you bear that in mind whilst playing it shouldn't be too much trouble. The obvious point about changing tuning, but seeing as you should already have another guitar (this is not a guitar to buy before you can play) that shouldn't be a problem either. Find a place that has one, and try it for yourself! // 9

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: Shor-T Zero, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: a friend (huge savings, I know)

Features: Basically like everyone has said about it's make. It came with a Dimebucker pickup in the bridge and whatever brand neck pickup. Black finish with the silver outline (beautiful on a guitar like this). Floyd Rose bridge, and it holds up great. Add in an extra spring or two, and it becomes tight but awesome (like most other floyds I assume, but this is my first Floyd Rose guitar I've had, so yeah). Has 3 knobs, one for volume, and 1 tone knob for each pickup. Pretty basic features, but it rocks and Dime knew what he was doing when he designing this. // 9

Sound: This was made for metal. Plain and simple. But, it can handle other things with some attention to EQ and what not. The Dimebucker is bad ass for any kind of distortion based sound, but it can be a bit too hot for clean work. Adjust the tone for that, unless you just want to switch the pickup and go for that. It's pretty awesome for any kind of rock, hard rock, or metal sound. Pretty much what I play. Only giving it a 9 because of the bridge pickup. Dean could've done better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This was setup at a guitar shop and my friend left it the way it was. It's currently in Standard tuning down two whole steps (C Standard, so Arch Enemy and Dethklok tuning). Little to no fret buzz is present and it really rocks. Tuning holds really well on this guitar. I haven't really had to adjust the tuning at all for the past 3 days. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough. No Doubt about it. I'm not sure how well the paint holds up, but then again, this is a used guitar. I don't know how well one of the points was treated, considering the paint has been chipped off. Kinda makes me want to punch him in the gut with the point. But, I got the guitar for half price cause of him, so I have to make due with some things. But it is a very reliable guitar, even for having it for 4 days. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, hard rock, and metal. Pretty much explains it. This guitar was made for those genres and made for me. With straplocks, this guitar is pretty much unbeatable for attracting looks with it's slick finish and awesome design. I was debating between this and an Ibanez Xiphos, because that was what I was originally looking for. But when my friend told me about selling his Razorback, I knew I wasn't going to get a deal like this for a very long time. I've gotta thank him for that. This guitar just feels right, and although it's not exactly fitting that I have this guitar since I've only been playing for 4 years, but I think this guitar will help me progress how I couldn't have before. Alongside my Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pedal pre-amp, this guitar will be kicking people in the gut at gigs for a long time to come. Just wish the neck pickup was better. // 9

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: MetalMoses x, on june 14, 2008

Features: The Razorback is a nice guitar in that it has everything a technical guitarist would ask for. It features a solid mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard containing 22 easy to access jumbo frets. The double locking Floyd Rose is hard to deal with if you have never dealt with one before but in the end it is well worth it. it's a massive guitar (about 4 feet long) but still surprisingly light. // 9

Sound: This is definitely a guitar made for metal if you couldn't already tell that about the shape. I myself play lots of melodic metal, thrash metal and progressive metal and this is my guitar of choice. The dimebucker offers a very quality high gain sound. The first day I picked up my razorback I fell in love with it's sound and still to this day I believe it to be the best. Hammer ons are effortless and artificial harmonics are very easy to nail. Not to mention that it sustains like a champ. The neck pickup is also very agreeable, much better for clean playing and offers a very different sound from the dimebucker. With my uber metal pedal and my Boss EQ I can make this guitar suitable for practically any genre of music and I recommend it's sound to anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my razorback needless to say I was stoked. It was back in 2004 and the high demand for razorbacks put me on a 3 month waiting list. When the guitar finally came it was as beautiful as any of the pictures you may see. No scuffs in the finish, and everything was perfectly adjusted and fine tuned. Even the tuning pegs were all set up parallel to the body. The action was high, as you may expect, and the bridge was completely level. To this day I have not found something that I wish was different about this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been jamming on my razorback for 4 years and have not had any problems with the hardware. It is definitely built to last and I say this because The guitars' lanky body has made contact with many walls tables. In one case it shattered my light fixture with it with absolutely no marks on it. In another case I knocked it against my wall putting a 1/4 inch hole in the wall, but to my surprise the only damage on the razorback was a tiny paint chip on one of the spikes of the headstock. I bring this guitar with me everywhere and it has been thoroughly beaten and still plays like it did out of the factory. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an Ideal metal guitar. Every guitarist I know personally is at least a little bit envious of it. Definitely worth the grand it took to buy it and if I were to lose it I would replace it without a moments hesitation. The only drawbacks to this guitar is that it has only 22 frets, which isn't to big of a deal, and the top spike which jabs you in the ribs if you are sitting down. It is a great guitar for a soloist because there is no discomfort even when on the highest fret. And personally I love how light this guitar is. it is much lighter than my PRS SE Custom and even lighter than my brothers Jackson RR3. I love this guitar, hands down. // 10

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2008

Features: Ok so the razorback that I bought is not on here but it's pretty close to the two tones model and shape. First of all it's slime green and has 24 jumbo frets(which is something I have to have), and 2 EMG pickups. Right out of the box it came with an EMG - 85 on the neck and an EMG-81 on the bridge pickup. It still has that classic razor on the twelfth fret and the flotd rose is absolutley amazing. There is a three way selector pick up and three knobs. One is for volume and the other two are for the tones of each pickup. I have never owned a Dean but I have owned a Gibson les paul (which I hated because I can't stand fixed bridges) and the Alexi Laiho sig. ESP. By far this guitar blows both of those clean out of the water. Also the double locking tuning is amazing now me and mr flotd are best friends. // 10

Sound: I am not going to lie I love metal everything from Iron Maiden to Metallica, Children Of Bodom, System Of A Down, and Black Tide. Metal is all I play so this guitar is probably my best bet. Just to get things straight this guitar sounds as good as it looks it is just amazing it has so much sustain it's unbelievable and the EMG's help to give it that distinct crunchy overdrive needed for lead guitarists. This guitar sounds great on clean also. I play it through my Marshall MG100 HDFX half stack and it sounds amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: So far I have no complaints other than ther was a tiny dink on the head of the guitar but other than that I'm satisfied. Everything was set up perfectly and I absolutley love it. The color is amazing too. The bright slime green looks kinna like your playing something you just sneezed out but in a good way. Also the fact that it had 24 frets was the thing that sold me on it. I don't know why but it seems that now days everyone has only 22 frets and it pisses me off because whenever I play one I'm so frustrated because I can't go the two octaves higher. it's such a pain particulary on sweep tapping it makes it practically impossible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played atleast 20 gigs with this axe and so far all that's happened to it is that I got a little scratch on the back of it because idiot me I gave it to one of the techys and they put it down right onto one of my pedals. I think that this will proabbaly last me at least 5 more years of constant gig playing before I need another one. I use this guitar at gigs without a back up becasue I am so sure of it's quality. // 10

Overall Impression: So yea as I said before the guitar I am reviewing is not on this sight it is the razorback 255 slimedime edition and it is absolutley brilliant. There is nothing really I can say about this guitar other than I wish fire could somehow come out of it but other than that I think I will be content with this guitar for many years to come. // 10

Razorback Two-Tone Reviewed by: Flux'D, on january 07, 2011

Features: -2006 Model -Mahogany Body -Set Mahogany V-shaped neck, 24.75" scale -Rosewood Fretboard -Pearl Razorblade Inlay -Licensed Floyd Rose Bridge -Grover Tuners -Black Hardware -Dimebucker Bridge Pickup -Dimebag Traction Knobs -Two Volume, One Tone, 3-Way Selector -Hardshell Case // 7

Sound: This instrument was given to me in early 2007 by Dean Guitars. It's a 2006 model that was gigged approximately twice every week for 3 years of it's life. As of now it's gigged about once every other week. As long as you're playing hard rock or metal, this guitar sounds fantastic. Anything else it's pretty bland or lackluster, although you can dial in a bluesy tone (I don't recommend this guitar for blues haha) from the Dimebucker by rolling the volume and tone knob back a little. The bridge pickup has a ton of feedback when playing live, but rolling the volume back on the guitar and turning the gain down on the amp helps out a lot. It still sounds pretty heavy even with low gain. The neck pickup is majorly "meh", it's nothing special. It doesn't sound great, but it's not horrible either. I've planned on swapping it out for awhile but never have. It's tolerable. That's about all I can say haha. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This instrument was given to me ready to rock. The action was low and comfortable, the intonation was perfect and the LFR was set up properly. I requested it to be put in Drop C with 10-52's (Thick on bottom, thin on top) and everything was right. I figured this thing would have a finish flaw on the silver edge or something, but I was wrong. Everything about the finish was perfectly done. All the lines on the outlining is straight, there isn't any overspray anywhere, no clamp marks anywhere, and the horns weren't chipped at all. The fretwork on this was perfect as well. There wasn't a high fret anywhere, the fret ends were properly dressed on both sides, and there isn't a loose one. My favorite part about the guitar? The neck, it's the most comfortable one I've owned. The V-shape fits my hand very well and doesn't cause my hand to hurt after a few hours. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I gigged this thing extensively for the first 3 years that I owned it. I've abused it, dropped it, ran into things, spilled things, knocked over things, etc. I've done it all with this guitar. I'm telling you, the horns will chip as the finish is very fragile there. Pretty sure I chipped it the first night I played it live actually. Everything else on this has held up very well though. The tuners haven't shown any slippage or resistance, none of the hardware is showing any significant wear, frets have a lot of life left in them, etc. The electronics haven't screwed up on me, even after I dumped a whole cup of beer down the front of it. The selector Switch doesn't make scratchy noises or hang up, and the control pots work like they should. Now, the licensed Floyd Rose. I've played and repaired a bunch of guitars and this is the 3rd best OEM LFR in my opinion. First two being Jackson's design and Peavey. I've never had any trouble with mine. Sure, it gets dirty but it doesn't affect it in the slightest. I've swapped string gauges, brands entirely, and retuned it somewhat frequently without a problem. The knife edges still look great (and I play the shit outta this Floyd). Besides the word "licensed" on the base I really don't see any problem with it. I left it at home for college this past semester underneath my bed in the case. When I got home the tuning was still completely correct. // 9

Overall Impression: I play thrash, NWOAHM, and hard rock with this guitar. Sure it's a one trick pony, but it does that trick very well. I got this guitar under my first year of endorsement and it's served me very well. I love everything about the Floyd and I'm completely in love with the neck. I wish the horns weren't as fragile, but that's pretty tough to do with them being so thin. If this guitar were stolen, I would be pretty bummed about loosing it but I wouldn't try to replace it. There's better guitars for the money out there, but if you find one used I would definitely recommend trying it. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014