Razorback V Standard Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 07/16/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback V Standard
The Razorback V Standard looks as good as it sounds because it's a Dean. Dangerous-looking edges are highlighted by sleek bevels on the body and mirrored on the famous Dean headstock. V inlays with Dime's razorblade at the twelfth fret plus all black hardware make this guitar wickedly stunning.
 8.1
 8.8
 7.3
review (1) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback V Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I just received this Razorback V Standard as a birthday present, and I love it. It was made in Korea but it's still awesome. 22 Frets. 24-3/4 scale length. Thin V shaped neck with small fretwire but is surprisingly easy to play. Mahogany Body and neck topped with a rosewood fretboard with the razor inlay at the 12th fret. Black finish. Passive Seymour Dimebucker, and stock Dean neck pickup. Grover Tuners and Licenced Floyd. With Dime Traction knob and 3way selecter. Came with hardshell case and allen wrenches. // 10

Sound: I play metal (death, black, heavy), and shred. And it fits it perfectly. The shape screams metal and the hardware delivers. I use just my Line 6 spider II with it and it sounds amazing. it's a little noisy but oh well what guitar isnt? It can go from deep tones to bright solos even has a decent clean setting. This guitar has a great sound for any kind of music from black metal to blues and jazz. I however am going to change out the pickups because they dimebucker lacks in midrange which I like for solos, and I'm not a fan of stock pickups but the neck is decent. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to set up the guitar when it came and I'm still having issues with the floyd. The pickups came perfectly adjusted not to close or far. The action is great but I lowered it a little anyways. The bridge is routed perfectly but what else do you expect from a dime series? The finish is extremely thin and chips easy but otherwise looks great and that happens with all v shaped guitars. THe pickup selectors a little noicy but everything else is fine. I do plan on changing the pots and floyd when I change the pickups though just to get a variety. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I do believe this guitar would withstand Live playing but I always have a backup (custom Fender). The hardware is decent but it's really not the best floyd I'm changing it to either a gotoh or a schaller the grovers are great though. As always I changed to Dunlop straplocks but the other strap buttons were just fine. I think this guitar would hold up very well Live granted you don't knock into to many things. I am however docking for the floyd cause it should be a lot better for the amount of money people spend on them if it was an ESP it would have an original floyd. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style this guitar is great, sweeping and tapping are a breeze as well as flat shred. I've been playing for awhile and own a custom Strat so I know what I'm doing. I wish I woulda asked about the floyd but I woulda changed it on another guitar anyways. And if someone stole I would kick their ass and take it back but I don't think I would buy another when I could get an ESP. I love the neck and how it looks but I'm not too much of a fan of the floyd or pickups. I compared this guitar with my custom Strat, an ESP Alexi Laiho, and a Ibanez I did a custom job on. I do wish it had a better floyd and different pickups with coil splitting but that's what custom jobs are for. I love it anyways it looks and sounds great and plays phenominally and I do quite recomend it if your looking at getting one but I recomend checking out ESP first then decide. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014