Razorback V Two-Tone Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/26/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Razorback V Two-Tone
Dean designed the Razorback V 255 guitar with a 25 1/2" scale length to answer to the problems of Dropped tunings used so much in today's music. To make the most of this Dean also added EMG 81/85 pickups to bring out the drive and tightness of the scale to deliver a performance you can never forget.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
reviews (4) pictures (2) 43 comments vote for this gear:
Razorback V Two-Tone Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2008

Features: The Dean Razorback V two tone model I bought was made in Korea (if I had the kajillion for the USA, I would have bought it, trust me). It has a 22 fret neck, made of mahogany wood, along with the body. My guitar came out of two choices available, which were two tone white with black bevels, or black with red bevels. I took the red and black one because personally it looked better. It has a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge, and a Dean stock pickup in the neck, which honestly doesn't sound as bad as people are making it. Both of these pickups are active, however sound slightly dull when mixed. The guitar has a Dime traction knob for the volume, and a Standard knob on the tone control. The Razorback comes with a 3 way pickup slecetor, which like I mentioned before is bleh-ish when in the middle. It has a licensed Floyd Rose trem, and Grover Tuners providing for the ability to dive bomb the hell out of it and stay in tune. I bought this guitar, and it also came with a free bar stool *with the Dean Wings logo stitched into the seat* and a free hardshell case. // 10

Sound: The main style of music I play is Metal, but of course I'll have a Yngwie shred moment every now and then. The Dimebucker sounds f--king amazing when playing through a Marshall MG series, which I know is the "Squier to Fender" version of a Marshall amp. I actually use no pedals, which I know is pretty lame. Also, the Dean pickup in the neck sounds awesome considering it's a stock pickup when your tapping, sweeping, pretty much anything that can sounds epic and fast. But I never use the neck pickup when I pinch harmonic and/or divebomb, because not as much tone is delivered out as it would with the Dimebucker:D. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have only played one other razorback model when I bought this, and that was a Razorback ML two tone silver black over at my local music shop. I checked online, and the two guitars had almost everything in common. I was never really a V guy until I got into Lex Laiho and Children Of Bodom, and my friend recommended Dean and I found the razorback V two tone on the site, and it looked absolutely gorgeous. I tried it out, I was 5, 000 miles beyond satisfied. To be honest, the only flaw I see is a very cliche thing you will hear on EVERY RAZORBACK REVIEW. The horns chip easy, especially when you have emotion and headbanging like I do. When this guitar came out of the box, the strings were a little funky because they are D'Addario's. I put some DR Black Beauties, and they sounded firmer, felt firmer, and was amazing. As soon as it came out of the box, I set my amp towards full gain, treble and all. It sounded like Dimebag completely. And another flaw that just came out of my mind was that if you whammy, prepare to have it fixed, because it will loosen. Otherwise, when outfitted to your liking, this guitar should last you for a long time, or at least until you get the money for a USA model haha. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am a guy that I wont buy a guitar if it wont stand to me carrying it around. this guitar does great, I go over to friends house to teach lessons, and I bring it to school sometimes just for shits and giggles. It came in the day before my birthday, January 8th, and I still would kick someones ass if they mistreated Damian in any way, (yes, I named my guitar Damian). The hardware definitely will last, however I warn everyone, it will say black hardware, and if your a palm mute guy like me, then the "Black hardware" will "ware off". Of course, anyone, I don't care if you take care of your guitar better than anyone else, it would be retarded to go on a gig without a backup. For my backup, I'm gonna pimp out my Ibanez to have the same specs as my razorback, pickups, Floyd Rose, all. The finish is easy to wear off in certain places, but only on the horns like I said earlier. other than that, I have no scratches, just a lot of fingerprints because I can't put the damn thing down. And of course, the strap locks feel like they are cemented in there, so I know that if my guitar falls, it's probably because the strap ripped or something. But what strap would rip at a barely even 7 pound guitar? // 9

Overall Impression: The style I play is metal, boy this guitar f--kin delivers. It doesnt't just deliver, it f--king delivers haha. I have been playing for three years, (but don't get me wrong, I can play Duncan Hills Coffee and Thunderhorse and all that). I have two Ibanez Gio's, and then I have a Silvertone SG. I have played Jackson Rhoads, Dinky's, Gibson Les Pauls, ESP's, Ibanez RGs, S models, real Fender Strats, Washburn models (I still have to try them Dimebag models:)), and honestly, nothing amounts at all to this Dean, and the funny thing is, it's not even a USA model. Hell, if someone steals Damian, then I would find the thief, and kick their ass. The guitar is something to bond to, so getting a new one would be like cheating on your lover. I love almost everything, and the thing I don't love is the chipping paint horns. I have compared this guitar to a Gibson Les Paul Custom, a Les Paul Studio, An ESP Eclipse, A Jackson Rhoads model. Of course, This aint a perfect guitar, because it's not a USA. // 10

Razorback V Two-Tone Reviewed by: Black Razorback, on july 13, 2009

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

Features: My Razorback V was made in Korea and has 22 frets. I went with the black with red outline because it was on clearence at musicians friend. Other features include grovers, licensed floyd, Dimeblade inlay, and dimebucker pickup. It came with a hardshell case and the tools you need to mess with the bridge. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a wide range of tones from Zepplin to Slayer though it looks more Slayer. I've also used the rythm pickup for jazz and blues but it shines mostly through the dimebucker with heavy distortion. This guitar is mostly used through my Marshall MG 30 or my Line 6 Floor POD. It has also been used through my friends peavy and his Line 6 Spider. It does its best work through the Marshall with full gain and contour. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar will require some work out of the box just like any other double locking trem so if you are new do not hesitate to look around for help I learned all I needed to know from my local guitar shop because I broke all the strings when I tried setting it up by guessing. The pickups will also need adjusting because on dime squeals you don't want the string to touch the pickup. Dean did a great job on the neck and fretboard I have no complaints. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar could stand up to Live playing pretty well. Its a well wired and soild guitar and its never crapped out half way through a session. However you will definatly want to buy strap locks for this one because its a bit heavy and it v shape would cause the strap to fall off without them. The finish seems pretty tough though I wouldn't recommend hitting a ceiling fan with it. // 10

Overall Impression: With my favorite style of music being metal such as Pantera, the good(old) Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, and Sabbath this guitar is a very good match. I have been playing about a year and a half and I have an Epiphone SG witch has been demoted to my drop tuning guitar. If this guitar were to been lost I would buy another one just because of the neat body style. One last thing, Licensed Floyds do not suck, they hold a tune when properly set up, just like the "real ones". // 10

Razorback V Two-Tone Reviewed by: mosherhamish, on may 02, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I think this was made in 2006 in Korea. It has 22 frets and a 24 3/4 scale. It has a V profile neck which for some is a turn off but it works well with me - gives a nice feel when playing chords and a fast feel when playing leads. I think its a Mahogany Body and rosewood fingerboard. It has a licensed Floyd Rose which. well for lack of a better word. could be considerably better. it has passive pickups (dimebucker and a Dean pickup) It has a three way pickup selector and a single "dime traction" volume knob and a tone knob. It came with a huge Dean ahard-case. // 9

Sound: I play metal and it suits it perfectly from Pantera to Sabbath to Avenged Sevenfold to Trivium the dimebucker is just awesome the only slight downside is the fairly average Dean neck pickup - it's not bad - just average. I use a DigiTech Death Metal distortion and it sounds really crisp - not muddy a tall. It has a really crushing tone perfect for metal the dimebucker is a wee bit noisy but so are most high output passive pickups. the clean sound is really good with the neck pickup for chords and for trebly sounds the dimebucker is really good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfect from when I got it and there were (and still are) no flaws with the paint. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar needs locking strap buttons as the stock ones are really poor but apart from that I would gig with this any-day (and will be very soon) the hardware seems like it will stand a good bashing. the finish seems solid enough but after my last experience with a spiky V I wont take any chances with bashing it. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal this is the ultimate V. It is perfectly balanced and has every thing a metalhead needs. I have been playing for 3 years fairly solidly and I own many other guitars - a Strat copy, Les Paul Copy and my last guitar a B\.C\. Rich NJ V with a Floyd Rose speed-loader (keep away from the speed-loader) and this guitar is, by far the best guitar I own and have played (including various Gibsons, other deans, jacksons, ESPs and b.c. riches. if it was stolen I'd hunt the thief down take my old B\.C\. Rich V impale that through his scull then take my prized possession back with me. // 9

Razorback V Two-Tone Reviewed by: VoXBOss2011, on february 26, 2013

Purchased from: Cash Maker Derry

Features: I am unsure of where this guitar was made, either USA or Korea. It has 22 frets and a 24 3/4 scale. The neck is made from Rosewood (I think, it might be ebony). It is a V shape which means it's kinda awkward to play sitting down, but it's easily solved. It has a Floyd Rose which is great for divebombs, it has a set of passive pickups, (Dimebucker in the bridge and I'm unsure of the neck). It's got a Volume, Tone and a 3-way selector. The Dimebucker is a Seymour Duncan. It's for a double locking system and grover tuners which are beautiful. It came in a Dean Hardcase. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of metal and this guitar is great for metal not only aesthetically but in sound quality too. This guitar suits my style very well, I can play very quickly and melodically on this guitar. I have two setups that I use it with, A Vox VT40+ on a High Gain metal setting. The amp is a valve amp and it's quite noisy at times, but the guitar is very quiet when it's needed to be. My second setup is using a Roland Micro Cube on the R-Fier setting with the tone and gain maxed out. There is no unnessecary feedback from that amp and the sounds are very tight and smooth. The DimeBucker had a brilliant sound on a distortion setting and it also has a great sound on clean too. It's very bright but sometimes the clean channel pops too much. This guitar is perfect for Metal and Rock, and when used with the bridge 'bucker sounds beautiful. The middle position also gives a good pop/funk tone as well, and the neck pickup has a greta bluesy tone to it. Those would be the only styles I'd use it for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has had one previous owner, and they had barely played it. It still had the factory strings on it. No neck wear, no finish wear, no chips/scratches. The stock action was set up very well and I found it beautiful for bends, even down at the 3rd and 5th frets where it would be difficult. It has a very nice action on it as well. I have it set up with Jim Dunlop .10s and they it sounds bada-s. The guitar itself is a dream to play. The neck has a slightly awkward shape, but now that I'm used to it, I wouldn't want anything else. The fat neck makes it very good for tapping, hammer ons and pull offs. This guitar has helped me speed up my playing a lot. There was one problem with the pickup selector cutting out at times, but that's stopped mostly. The tuning pegs are reliable as well, as is the Floyd Rose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it can withstand a good live performance. I would play for around 4/5 hours each day, headbanging and jumping around and this guitar can certainly hold up to that, so I would say it could hold up to a lot of gigs. This guitar is very well built, very sturdy and very light which is great for playing at extended periods of time. This guitar seems like it will last me a very long time and I bloody hope so. The strap buttons are solid as hell (they had been f--ked up by the previous owner) but now they're reliable as f--k. I can sometimes depend on this guitar, however there is a problem with the pickups cutting out every now and then. Once I get that fixed, I would definitely gig this guitar, even without a backup, I'd still gig it. The finish is almost perfect bar a chip on the headstock and a few scratches around the back plates. The finish is quite thick and can withstand a good few knocks without chipping/cracking. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great guitar for Metal. I play Children Of Bodom, Pantera, Black Label Society and Bullet For My Valentine mostly. I keep it in D standard/Drop C. I use this through a Vox VT40+, Roland Micro Cube and Boss ME-25. It gives a great metal distortion sound when used with a distortion/overdrive effect, it can do divebombs and harmonics very easily on a high gain setting. If it were lost/stolen, I would definitely buy another, maybe get the Black & Yellow one (Does that exist?) If I couldn't get another one, I'd buy a standard Razorback in the hope that they would play the same. What I love most about this guitar is how easy to play it is and how light it is. I hate the fact that it's awkward to play sitting down, but that's a common factor with any V, and I also hate that I occasionally knock the headstock and horns, but wrapping them in insulation tape stopped all that. My favourite feature would be the Dimebucker and the Floyd Rose working together to achieve screaming harmonics. I also absolutely love the neck. The neck on my Squier is quite thin, and this is relatively thick. I love the overall feel and speed at which I can play. One thing I wish this had was a better set of strap locks, the set that were on it when I got it had been wrecked by someone putting a bolt into the wood and f--king up the top lock, but once I fixed it, It's sturdy as hell. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014