RC7x Review

9.4
review (1) pictures (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
RC7x Reviewed by: skedadleboarder, on october 12, 2009

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: This is the metallic black version of Rusty Cooley's signature model. It isn't the ridiculously expensive USA model with the outlandish graphic, but it still plays like a dream for a Korea made Dean. It is an alder body 7 string with a bolt on, super skinny neck. Its 25.5" scale with no inlays minus the signature one on the 12th fret. On the website it says it has an ebony fretboard, but it looks like rosewood to me. It came with active EMG 707's and an Original Floyd Rose 7. One volume nob and a three way slider switch. It's frickin light as hell. I'm used to LEs PAul bodies, so anything other than that feels light as hell lol. It came with a case, which was ultimately the reason I decided to purchase this over a few other 7 string choices. The massive cutaway makes reaching the 24th fret on the 7th string a breeze, its almost too easy to play. It has everything I was looking for in a 7 string // 10

Sound: I play heavy metal, and this thing sounds MEAN. The 707's sound pretty good, but I think I am going to swap out the one in the bridge for the 81-7. I'm running it through a Peavey Valveking halfstack and it has such a punishing sound to it. I modded it to accommodate two 9v's and that made it sound even more clear and gain heavy. There is only one volume and no tone, so you don't have any other controls to mess with. It is a little noisy, but nothing a noise suppressor can't fix. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Before I modded it or adjusted anything, the guitar set up from the factory was actually pretty good. It came with DR strings. And after I changed the strings and adjusted the action, there is no fret buzz and the action is super low. I am pretty picky when it comes to finish and what not, and I have to say that this guitar is flawless. Not one scrape, scratch, or flaw in the finish. I was actually really impressed, after hearing that Dean's QC hasn't been the best lately. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty light, and I think it will last me throughout my upcoming shows and studio work. It has an OFR7, so I'm not concerned about it going out of tune all the time or anything. But I never gig without a backup. You just never know what might happen. But I really think this guitar is going to last a long time without the finish peeling off or my floyd just turning into dust. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for any shredder Who wants to play a sick, fast, and ridiculously awesome 7 string. I absolutely love this guitar. I don't think I would have been half as happy if I had picked one of the other 7's I was originally looking to get. If it were stolen I would track them down and beat them senseless with a brick, and if it were lost I would get a new one as soon as possible. I was stuck between this, an Agile, and an LTD. And I am glad I chose this one. If you are looking for a 7 string to shred on, this one is a keeper. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014