Soltero SL Review

8.7
 7.3
reviews (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Soltero SL Reviewed by: Nicholas03, on october 15, 2007

Features: New guitar design and model from Dean, fall 2007 release. 22 Fret, C-neck design. Set mahogony neck. Mahogony body and neck with 3/4" top-notch maple top. Unique cut in top of body that goes down through the maple top towards the neck pickup. It is modeled like a Les Paul or PRS Single cut, identical to the USA Soltero model. very unique shape. Tune-O-Matic bridge. Passive custom made DiMarzio pickups made for the USA Soltero model. Standard single cut controls. Grover tuners. Comes with Dean's top end custom guitar case. Nice addition. // 10

Sound: I play Zakk Wylde, Steve Lukather, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, John Patrucci stuff all the time. It just sounds great for all types of sounds you want to get from a humbucker guitar. Has a great jazzy tone quality to it also. Please note that this guitar is basically the same thing as the USA Soltero except it has a few very small differences, the main one being a $1,000.00 less price tag. I use the Gibson GA30RV 30-watt class A amp. Also use the Boss GT-8 effects unit but not so much as before with other guitars. As listed above it can get the sounds most closely related to the cats listed above as long as you have the amp to back it up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup is just as well done as the USA model. Very well done guys. Action is not to low or high. A jazz players dream. Pickups set up just fine. Maple top is just awesome, when I figure out how to post a picture of these puppies I promise I will. Book matched as well as the older PRS's from the '90s. Really well done. That cut they put in the maple top is awesome! Flaws, yes indeed! There was only one guitar in the case instead of two. Also, beer was not included in the deal although we fixed that problem on the way home to insure a proper breakin test session. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing with this axe? Absolutely! Without a doubt. Very reliable and durable. Hardware is top notch. Strap buttons are well sized. No issues. Depend on it? Absolutely. It's a tank without the weight. Finish is solid. This guitar rocks in quality and tone. // 10

Overall Impression: I Play Rock from the '80s and '90s. Ozzy, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Queensryche. Been playing for several years and hope to perform this Halloween for my neighborhood friends and family. If it were stolen I would hunt down the cat that took her, In a Ted Nugent fashion, then return her to the stable where she is ridden. I would say you can take the Soltero SL and put it up against any Les Paul Custom shop model made. That goes for the PRS Single cut as well. It cost less and gives more than either. Tone wise and visually. It's just a beautiful playing instrument. Sustain all day long. I am glad that the guys at pantera let me know they were finally coming in from a long anticipated wait. Nice folks that I owe a lot to. This guitar is so sweet. I have never been happier. // 10

Soltero SL Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2007

Features: Dean Soltero SL is a new 2007 model from Dean Guitars. Simply designed to be a much more affordable version of the Dean USA Soltero, about $1, 000.00 more affordable to be exact. It is a very well made Japanese version of the Dean USA made Soltero model. It has a C-shaped neck, very nice abalone inlay, 22-fret ebony board, 3/4" highly figured maple top that is really nice being that the binding is simply it's unstained maple top. Absolutely beautiful. Mahagony body and neck mate up perfectly without any visible seams. Very well done, about as nice as the USA model which I have looked at closely. DiMarzio custom wound pickups made only for these two guitars. These pickups will wake up he neighborhood if you want them to. Nice binding along the neck that is rounded and perfectly ajoined to the board. No seams at all on this guitar. Controls are of Les Paul likeness. Tuners are Grover. Comes with a very nice Dean case. Same as the USA model arrives in. // 10

Sound: Well I was looking for a guitar, actually the Dean USA Soltero, that would be more of an in-your-face sounding guitar than a Standard Les Paul Custom. Did not want another Paul, ESP, PRS wanna-be Les Paul, or anything of the sort. Something unique. Something that was not so clearly another clone that they all make these days. Needing a guitar that would fit in with my classic rock playing stye I heard about the USA Soltero and found an authorized Dean USA dealer in Miami that had all of these Dean guitars to choose from. They showed me their top notch USA Solteros and when I told them it was about a grand out of my price range they brought out this Dean Soltero SL model that is made in Japan, looks the same, exact copy it seems. Feels the same but cost a bunch less. A whole lot less. I plugged it in and found that it was an in your face guitar that has plenty of rich/full sound with a lot of sustain. They had a Roland tube amp that I plugged into and I just tore up the place to the point where the owner told me, brother try turning it up another notch and try to make the glass counter break. He was not joking. I am glad I did not do that, it might have happened. I was very impressed with the sustain in this guitar. Rings outta this world. Depending on the amp you have you will be able to cover a variety of styles from fushion to really ass-kickin rock from the '80s. Jazz is something that you will indeed be able to cover. I knew I had to buy it when I cranked up that amp and the feedback started. A Nugent kinda feedback. Those guys over there love Nugent. Pictures of him everywhere in that store. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up very well. I would expect that from a Dean USA guitar model or Japan made Dean. Understand that many of their imports are Korean and are quite nice but make no mistake, this is not a Korean guitar. It's absolutely custom like quality and setup. I have played many of their guitars but this new Soltero SL kicks. Pickups were adjusted well as was the intonation. Bookmatched maple top is really, really nice considering you are not getting a veneer top. This top is real, real thick and matched up well. Very good wood. Not too heavy and certainly not too light. Solid, really solid guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand more than just Live playing. It will make you forget your pauls and any other single cut you thought about bringing to the show. Very dependable from what I can tell, just had it since Saturday but I know a well made six string when I see one. Right along with the USA model or any custom shop PRS you might like to compare it to. // 10

Overall Impression: Classic rock, slamming jazz, rock'n blues. That's what I'm all about and this guitar covers it well. I have been playing for right at 13 years and have been known to be very picky about the guitars I choose to play/buy. I am glad I found one to try out. The guys at Pantera were nice enough to let me really tear the place up with that Cherryburst deamon and I simply thanked them by purchasing it, simple as that. Oh, lost or stolen, well it won't be lost so as far as the stolen thing is concerned, the mofo that takes this will be swinging from an oak tree by nightfall. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014