USA Soltero Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 09/24/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: USA Soltero
Uniquely-designed 5A flame maple top, Seymour Duncan JB & 59 pickups standard, ebony fingerboard, Grover tuners, certificate of authenticity, case included, satin nickel hardware.
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
USA Soltero Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2007

Features: New model from Dean for 2007. Made at the Dean USA custom shop. 22 Frets, Dean "V" neck, ebony fingerboard, Grover tuners, solid body single cut deasign with mohogany body and neck with a beautiful 3/4" maple top. reminds me of PRS 10 tops a decade ago. Awesome flame. Cherry sunburst. Made to look similar to a Les Paul but with it'sunique body cut running down almost into the pickup area it's most certainly not a Les Paul. This is Dean all the way. The inlay in the fingerboard is abalone with sterling silver. Almost glows in the dark it's so well done. Pickups are a custom ordered Dimarzio made model specifically for the Soltero. Tone Pros bridge. // 10

Sound: This guitar is all I need to go from rock to jazz, even country. This is such a good sounding guitar that I have partially eliminated my effects. Use to use a Boss GT-8 all the time but now I am just having a blast hooking straight up to my Gobson GA30RV combo amp. That's another review in itself. What an amp and what a guitar combination. still love to use the Boss GT-8 because the the great effects and amp modeling options. Oh, these Soltero's have more sustain than the word itself. I mean it just sings baby, just sings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Dean Soltero was setup from the factory about as well as you would want it. Everybody like things a little different but from a professional setup standpoint it was about perfect. Pickups adjusted just right. Bookmatched top is unreal. No flaws in this guitar at all. I only with I could have enough green to buy two but christmas is around the corner and I really want one in another color for those evening on stage where you want to change things up a little. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is as well made as any in any custom shop in the country. It is worthy of a "Private Stock" rating without that private stock pricing. I think retail for this axe is around $4, 900.00 but the dealer I frequent is one cool cat and sold it to me at a steal of a deal price. All hardware is top notch. Finish is thick enough to stand up and thin enough to allow for total tonal flow as I like to say. Guitar can't be encased in glass, gotta breath a little to allow that tone to be heard. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock from '80s-'90s. Ted Nugent, Zakk Wylde's early Ozzy years, Queensryche, ZZ Top. Guitar has to growl and moan like a pleased woman and this puppy does it all for me. I use it exclusively with the discontinued Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV class A 30 watt monster of an amp. Also have a Steinberger, Fender Strat and Dean HardTail. Those two Deans are the finest guitars I have ever owned and it's about time Dean made a single cut high-end model and they now have finally done it. really, it's the best guitar I have ever held in my hands and I have played through some awesome pauls and PRS's. I heard about this through a friend Who has a couple of Deans and I went to their site to look at it. I was sold on the design from the get-go. After looking long and hard a authorized Dean USA dealer I heard about in my area got them in. Wow, I just about dropped to my knees when they opened the black leather case and those lights hit that beautiful top. I picked it up and looked at it about 20 minutes and said "let's do it". That's when the fun started! // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014