V 79 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/10/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: V 79
It uses the Series 2 headstock, larger than the time capsule, and has the same look and feel as their predecessors of the seventies.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 7.6
 8.5
 6.6
reviews (2) pictures (7) 19 comments vote for this gear:
V 79 Reviewed by: Sparda93, on february 10, 2012

Purchased from: RebelMusic, only Dean dealer inland

Features: This is my first review, keep in mind, I've played guitar since my 17th birthday, which was 08.01.2010 and still going. Mine is a review of slightly hesitant praise, I`ll try to contain my "fanboy love" of my guitar, and just know that I've only EVER played a J&D Stratocaster ripoff (deadbeat thing I destroyed from the inside out) and an LTD Viper-50, damned thing must have been taken literally when it said it wanted to be heavy and neckbreaking. All my equipment has been a Laney 12W package amp I got with my J&D, after a while I bought a used Peavey Transtube StudioPro 112, then I bought a Laney 120w TF200 (from 94) and for Christmas of 2011 my brother bought me an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost, which I always use. I have no professional opinions, just slight experience in my 2 years of playing. Now onto the guitar. No idea when it was made, but seeing as I ordered it on 15.01.2012, I'm sure it's made in 2011 (in Korea), as I've seen the guitar at the site of purchase long beforehand. Where to start. The guitar is a beauty to look at, I ordered the Trans Cherry Sunburst because I'm sick of being labeled a freak with addiction to dark things(no racism intended) just because I listen to metal, the finish looks cheerful and slightly "original" by metal standards(boring wannabe-hardcore, Kerry King style). The description that comes next has been taken from the site of purchase, who I trust to type the right f--king words correctly: - Dean Guitars V79 - V-Style. - Mahogany with Maple Top. - Set-in Mahogany Neck. - Rosewood Fretboard. - 2 Dean Zebra Humbucker Pickups. - Tune-O-matic Bridge - string thru Body. Me again. The guitar has Grover non-locking tuners, the tuning pegs are massive, and seem to hold well, although the strings must be stretched intensely when re-tuning, and they slip off-point within 10 minutes of playing, so remember to re-tune this back up after ca 20 minutes of playing(I check tuning almost by routine). It came with D'Adarrio (?) 010 strings, which I don't fancy after I changed the strings for the first time(on this guitar) to GHS 012 strings tuned to E Flat 430 HZ, kinda like an original tuning x). The guitar has a great balance and it is extremely light, I'm not a big guy, 5"10-5"11 with kinda broad shoulders, but I'm no fitness center freak, haven't worked out in years, I used an LTD Viper-50 that I borrowed from a friend for about 6-9 months which was so f--king heavy and un-balanced you wouldn't believe the intense difference. The guitar has NO neckdive whatsoever, I don`t care what you've played before, and I've been in the hesitant situation you are in RIGHT NOW, "maybe he`s stronger than me, maybe he has bigger or longer arms" bullshit, if anything, I have short fingers, but broad hands, this guitar has very intense balance! This has 2 Volume and 1 Tone, and 1 Three-way-Switch in user-friendly position, behind the bridge, at the side of the string-through metal plating. Trans Cherry Sunburst hopefully means Transparent etc etc finish, I've got no idea, I know that I like the look of it, it's an exciting aspect of the guitar, because that`s what strikes you first, the look of it. It looks rather old, or slightly vintage, the cream binding, the vanilla cream pickup casing. The back of the guitar is a maroon fiber color, you can see that it`s made of actual wood and you won`t question that, the neck is colored the same. 22 frets, feels like jumbo, sparkly Twilight Edward dot markers on the fretboard and black versus creamcolored dot markers on the topside of the neck. The neck is quite fast, although I'm not the shredding player, I'm not good enough yet, or am I. The input/output jack is very nicely positioned, and it sits very well, but be careful, due to the extreme angle it can quickly hit something and brake off or damage some wiring in the cable. I've definitely missed something, so you'll point it out for me, I assume? // 8

Sound: The sound is great, it`s easily switchable from 80`s midrange metal to modern Death Metal and most everything in between. The music I play is a varied style of Thrash, Death, Heavy and Sludge/Stoner, I think it's easier to say Metal. I like playing fast, slow and a catchy rhythm beat medium speed, I like a bit of mids when playing, not the chugging low-end guitar sound of modern players. I like where sound consists of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10, not 1, 2, 3 and 8, 9, 10, if you can understand my point, I like a sound with a full spectrum. I listen to Death, Cannibal Corpse, 80's Metallica, SOME Slayer, some Megadeth, a little of Kreator, Corrosion Of Conformity, Crowbar, Down, Pantera, Carcass, In Flames from the 90's, Dark Tranquility, Testament, November's Doom, Machine Head, Tjsuder, Dimmu Borgir, Ceremonial Oath and so forth. I use a Laney TF200 and an EH Metal Muff with Top Boost, the pickups make noise when not played for 5 secs and onward. Pinch Harmonics on this is possible, but the top-end of the PH sounds very... clenched, if you will, picture a Coca Cola bottle, the PH starts at the bottom and travels up, but the top-end just won't freakin' sing, although it`s a quality sound, it sounds very strangled at the peak. With chords, this sings, and with my 012 strings, the sound doesn't seem to leap, it builds up gradually and doesn't skip or jump, it`s a very very thick and sturdy sound, warm or cold is dependent on the tone control. Distortion is rich and harsh, trembly and old school distortion. Cleans that sing, the sounds of this guitar are 6 or higher on the rating anyways, the cleans are defined, clear and full. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too high for me at the unboxing, went to a shop and got that and the tross rod fixed, it made some serious dents in the sound. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Withstand liveplaying? I'm hesitant to answer, but I'm 80% sure it won't be a problem with a 50 minute playlist. Hardware seems durable, it seems like it will collect masses of dust, though, keep this in mind. The strap buttons haven't disappointing, but I've only had it for a few weeks, I use a single Warwick strap without straplocks, and it hasn't failed yet, quality strap, I was lucky the first time. // 7

Overall Impression: Metal music, or something along the lines, I'm not into the A7X, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon, Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, All That Remains, Disturbed, Slipknot, as a 19 year old, I'm f--king unique, I've got the oldschool genes, I'm not into Deathcore, Metalcore or any of the mainstream "cool emo" hipster shit, only Core that's worth a damn to me is Grindcore, Carcass style. I wish I had asked about a hardcase when I bought it, difficult to find one that matches the size of this thing. If it were stolen? The bastard wouldn't have gotten far, this thing is chained to my desk, I would get it again, BUT I`d also save up for some improvements, pickups, straplocks and so forth. I love the balance, the weight, compared to the previous guitar, this one is extremely light, I'm actually cautious about moving around cus I fear it'll get damaged very easily. Love the color, love the awesome huge headstock, if you think the headstock is big compared to the neck in a picture, wait til' you really see it. I hate... Well, not hate, but the dot markers are so bland, overused, and unoriginal, but hey, what the hell am I complaining for? I got it for 487 dollars. I wish the Pinch Harmonics were sharper and more intense, they are very contained, but good sound quality, indeed. Might upgrade to some typically well-known pickups when I got the money, so at least I'll have good pickups. If you have any tips about anything regarding amplifiers, guitars or the like, please le'mme know, I'm a sucker for knowledge. Rock on. // 7

V 79 Reviewed by: bubbaearl, on september 25, 2007

Features: I bought this guitar used from a local guitar shop. I'm not exactly sure when it was made. Probably early to mid 2000's. It is stamped "Korea" next to the serial number on the back of the headstock. It's a set-neck, 24.75" scale with 22 frets which I think are medium-jumbos. It's got a mahogany body with a flame maple top in the Standard V shape. Mine is sunburst finish. It's got a fixed Tune-O-Matic style bridge with a string-thru body. New ones come with Dean Zebra humbuckers, but mine came with active EMGs--85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck. It's got 2 volume knobs and one tone knob with a 3-way Switch. Mine came with Gibson Vintage tuners which I will soon replace with Grovers (which come on the new ones). // 10

Sound: This guitar screams with the EMG pickups. I play mostly heavy, chunky rock and this V really suits my needs. I play through an old Danelectro amp and a DigiTech RP200A pedal. This guitar with active pickups was not meant to be played clean. Play it cranked up with gain and distortion and wake up the neighbors. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used and it was set up really well. I changed the strings to some Ernie Ball Slinky Skinny top/heavy bottom strings (0.10-0.52), adjusted the pickup height to my liking and that's it. No flaws in the beautiful flame top, in fact there are no flaws at all except for the Gibby tuners which, I don't know, are lacking something. I will soon replace those anyway. Oh yeah, I also replaced the battery for the pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This axe will definately withstand Live playing. It's not too heavy and is really balanced even with the huge headstock. It looks fantastic on stage, too. Hardware seems decent (except for the tuners) and the stock strap buttons were OK although I replaced them with Schaller strap locks. This guitar is dependable, but never, ever gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I saw this beast at the shop and after I picked up my jaw from the floor I bought it. I've been playing about three years and have two other guitars besides this one. If it were stolen, I'd put a put a hitman on the s.o.b. that did it. I love the neck on this thing. It's a little beefy but still fast. It's hard to play while sitting down, but that's a V for you. If I want to play while sitting down, I've got two other guitars that'll do for that. Overall it's a great looking, great playing guitar that's gonna be in my arsenal for quite some time. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014