V X Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 08/16/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: V X
This classically styled electric guitar has a bolt-on neck with a basswood body, a modern, comfortable and sleek profile maple neck (24 3/4" scale) with 22 frets and dot inlays on a rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
 7.6
 7.9
 7.3
reviews (7) pictures (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
V X Reviewed by: bullseyestrat, on november 13, 2007

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: According to the serial # it was made in 2007 in China. It has 22 medium frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is rather thin like a 60's Gibson neck. The neck is made of unfinished maple and the scale is 24.75". The body is made of Basswood that makes a "V" shape. The bridge is a Tune-o-matic with a string-thru body. It also uses 18-1 Grover tuners. The finish on my guitar is called Brazillaburst which is kinda like the Cherryburst color of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. For electronics it features 3 Dean humbuckers, a volume knob, and two tone knobs. It comes with an allen wrench for the truss rod and a noiseless cable. Overall not too bad for a sub-$200 guitar. // 8

Sound: To me this guitar has a fairly unique tone. It works very well for any type of rock, blues, and heavy metal. It has kind of a full crunch tone through the bridge pickup through my Peavey Windsor and Ibanez TS808 and Boss SD1. The neck could have been better with distortion or overdrive. But both pickups sound good on a clean amp like my Fender Hotrod Deluxe 112. The pickups limit its tone though for music that requires a lot of distortion or overdrive. If you use a lot of distortion, it'll become rather noisy and muddy. So if you play something that requires loads of distortion, I would recommend upgrading the pickups to something of high output like DiMarzio's, Seymour Duncans, or EMG's. But overall it has a rather mellow to bright sound (not really up there with the Strats but not as dark as a Les Paul). Overall, the VX works well for anything that doesn't require a lot of distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was setup rather well. The body looked nice, the electronics were intact and grounded well. The only thing that annoys me is that the higher frets from the 18-22 are kinda rough instead of being smooth. It's not too noticeable until you try doing bends on the strings of those frets. Other than that though the guitar is setup good. With any other guitars I get though, I replaced the strings to GHS TNT in Standard, sanded the neck and headstock unfinished areas, and adjusted the truss rod and bridge slightly to get the most out of it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty solid guitar. The hardware is simple and effective, so I would assume it'd last for many years. The Grover tuners along with a string-thru tune-o-matic bridge keep the guitar in tune very well. I would gig with backups because nothing is perfect though and I have many backup guitars to use. The strap buttons looked good, but I replaced them with Dunlop Straplocks like I do with all of my guitars. The finish on it is a good too seeing how I've bumped it and dropped it without any dings or dents to the body. Overall it's a rather solid guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a variety of rock, metal, instrumental, and blues music, and this guitar is a good match for any of them. I honestly just wanted a V shaped guitar to add to my arsenal. I've been playing over 4 years and I own loads of gear, too much to list here. Check the blog at www.myspace.com/gregblsdeth if you're interested to see what I have for gear. If it were lost somehow, I would just get another Dean V or a better V guitar like an ESP or Jackson. I like how it's rather light and balanced in weight, the price, the looks, tuning stability, and the tone in some areas. I don't like how it's rather hard to find a decent gigbag for this guitar, the way the headstock is designed for the nut, and the pickups. I compared it to a Epiphone Flying V and the low end ESP V200 I think, and seeing how this guitar was half their price, I gave this one a shot. The only things I wish it had were better pickups and an included gigbag. But a guitar like the Dean VX for under $200, you can't get much of a better deal. // 8

V X Reviewed by: BaSsReBeL171, on september 07, 2006

Features: My Dean V X is a 2005 USA model, 22 frets with 24 3/4" scale, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, gloss finish, It is based on the Flying V style and looks very metal with it headstock and humbucker Design. Passive electronics and 3 way selector switch, comes with dual Dean Zebra humbuckers and grover tuners. // 7

Sound: The Dean V X is suited for Hard Rock and Metal but if you are planning on going any heavier I suggest new pickups. I am currently using the Dean V X with a Crate GLX1200H 100W half-stack, it can be noisy and is not suited for bright tones. Out of this guitar you can play rock, metal, and blues. There is not much variety with the pickups it comes with and I suggest changing them within 2 months. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The Dean V X comes tuned, cleaned, and ready to go. The action is fast and the pickups are descent. If you are serious about guitar I would get the pickups adjusted. It came with no flaws and looks just like would in the pictures. It is however a heavy guitar and hurts your shoulder after a while. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can stand live playing up to a crowd of about 150. The hardware is well made and seems to last and all strap buttons are solid. At a gig I would recomend this guitars and a backup. If you get this guitar you will realize that it wasn't worth it and end replacing the pickups or getting a new guitar all together. // 4

Overall Impression: I ussually play hard rock and metal (Smashing Pumpkins, BLS, Trivium, etc). This guitar has been alright for the past year but I am eager to get a new one. I have been playing for seven years and also 2 Fender acoustics, a Gibson Studio, and a Fender Telecaster. I love this guitar because of the looks, it looks cool, sounds alright, and plays pretty good. I hate this guitar because the money you will put into it is more than you will buy it for. // 7

V X Reviewed by: Nick6106, on february 25, 2008

Features: Made in China. It has 22 fret neck, mahogany neck. My finish was a gloss black. Body style is a Flying V, Tune-o-Matic style bridge, 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob. Humbucker pickups from Dean, non-locking tuners. I Might suggest to change around the bridge pickup to a Dimarzio or Bill Lawerence (Dime Style) neck pickup has a smooth sound very nice. My tone knob is a little loose but I barely touch it nice looking knobs though, what I love most is the shape of the body and headstock, that signature Dean V headstock totally compliments the body of it. But it could have used a Floyd Rose but it's a overall nice guitar. // 9

Sound: It suits well to my metal, blues and hard rock background, I use a Line 6 Spider 2 and it sounds really good hooked up to it, especially in my clean channel very nice sound, and very low static on a high gain channel can make a good feedback noise and is good guitar for pinch harmonics. Only little problems you will find with the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up is ok not the greatest. The factory didn't do an outstaning glue job on the neck and body (it holds but you can see the glue), the action is perfect for me though. The pickups I have absolutely have no problem with adjustment wise. The only flaw is the tone knob it's loose. It does have a rather noisy pickup selector. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can be played a long long time. the tuning stays for the most part, the hardware I'm not sure it will last it's ok I guess, the strap buttons hold up nicely, you can surely depend on it on a gig without backup, the finish is awesome it will last forever. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, blues and hard rock, it's a pretty good match for my playing it could definitely use a Floyd Rose, I've been playing for three years and it is better than my pawn shop Les Paul, I would have asked for a Floyd Rose. If it was lost I would get something else though but from Dean still though, I love the finish body and sound I hate the loose tone knob but I guess they all can't be winners, I chose this because it looked nice sounded good. And Yes I wish it had (for the last time) a Floyd Rose. // 8

V X Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2009

Price paid: £ 200.99

Features: Not sure on year, 22 frets, some sort of shiny black, looks dark, maple mabey, thinish nicey curved neck (very ugly on back), String thu body, Passive pickups, Dean Grover tuners, Usual intermidite guitar stuff found at the 199-220 range. No accsesories // 10

Sound: It suit's my style purfectly. I play teastament, Alice In Chains (them bones) and some thrash and heavy suff I play some of everything exept for acustic but usualy mosh things, make my own things sometimes. I am running the vx through a DigiTech RP150 (it's the best bang for buck pedal) and into a Line 6 spider 15 or Marshall Mg15 dfx. it's quiet you can make it bright and sharp but you have to turn the bottom Knob to 10 vol 10 and not use the top one put it in bridge any other way it sounds dull and a bit bluesy. you can use it for anything, just don't think your dave mustane when playing it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was and still is crisp but it doesnt't't brake whatever, the pickups were fine but I raised the bridge for my own referance, every things working smoothly. The only weard thing is when you go into the 2 pickup you have to put the neck vol on you can do this and put the bridge down and it wont care but it probably only me, don't be put off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This will withstand live playing, the stuff would last the stap buttons are solid but I would use it as a backup becase it is not the head liner I would get a Epiphone Explorer goth like I will soon for giging, but it would be an ok guitar if you had to use it as a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2.4 years since I was 12.4 and I did not cheat like the magoraty do I learnt chords for half a year to give me a good start no buzzing then tab after I had my secong guitar 150 Strat and once ready got this 4 months later. If you are a bigginer don't get a 200 guitar get a MAX 150 guitar first, if it were stolen I'd cut the guys head off and through him off a large building on to a spear pointing up and I'd get some thing the same price like a more practical Dean Xml same guitar more practicial shape. Favorite thing is the right hand feel and name VX sounds evil. I've called it 9 on the reveiw becase this is a intermidate not a pro play 240+ but it's a good backup and home your thras skills. // 9

V X Reviewed by: Shayne777, on may 12, 2009

Price paid: C$ 271

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Made in 2006 in China. 22 frets, 24-3/4" Scale. The body is basswood and the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. It's just a black finish with some Shine to it. It is the great shape possible to me a V shaped guitar with a tune o matic bridge and passive eletronics in a HH config. The pick ups are stock but I am gonna swap them for some Duncans at some point. The tuners are grover and there way better than the ones on my Strat. Came with all the little things they alawys give you but no gig bag and finding a case that fit's a V shape and Dean headstock is impossible. // 7

Sound: My style of music isn't really all over the place so I would say alt/hard rock kinda stuff and this guitar can get the job done. I am using this through a Morley Bad Horsie II and Seymour Duncan Lava box to an Orange Crush 30R. The sound from this guitar isn't really special or anything but it's not really noisey or anything like that but the sound isn't really making me jump around and it's made of basswood so the tone isn't to great either but this thing wieghts nothing which is really nice on the shoulder. This guitar has variety I suppose but I wouldn't really know cause I mostly play similar stuff. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box this guitar was great for one reason which is why I am gonna mod it to hell insted of getting a new guitar the neck on this thing was made for me I love it so much it's just the perfect fit in my hands and the frets are just the perfect size. I had to tweek the action a bit but after that it was just butter in my hands. The neck pickup was off when it got here but I fixed that and in the end I liked the sound it made better when it was off and messed up. The Switchs knob was so loose on this guitar and wouldn't ever stay on I get took it off cause it was getting so bothersome and the input jack gets kinda loose some times but I fixed that(what can you expect it's made in china) the eletronics were very bad egtting ehre so if you don't know what your doing with a guitar I wouldn't get this. The only thing egtting this part a seven is the neck is my soul mate. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withsatnds me jamming with my friends and bumping and knocking it all the time so I assume it would withstand Live playing no problem as long as you have inspected it before the gig to make sure the eletronics are all good. Onne plus for people gigging might be that this guitar has no weight to it that I can even do guitar spins with it so that would be sick at shows too. The hardware it's pretty bad when you first get this guitar so get this thing setup right and everything will last or get a different guitar cause I really only still have this cause I am fond of the neck. I swapped the strap buttons out for strap locks so I never tried out the ones coming with it but I am guessing they wouldn't be very good judging form the rest of the stuff on this guitar. I wouldn't use this at a gig without a backup because even though I ahev nevered played a gig I know you must alawys have a backup guitar with you at a gig. The finish is just black so finger prints show up on this guitar well so I am alawys wiping it down but that doesn't really bother me but the finish wears if you use it a lot but I like that old bsuted up guitar look gives it character // 7

Overall Impression: This guitars looks matchs my style of playing cause I make it matche my styler of playing. This guitar has no character tone to it it sounds like erine ball 10's going through cheap pickups(for now)so unless your really looking for a budget V(like I was) or plan to mod a guitar and want a it to be V shaped or love Dean necks get a different guitar. I have been playing for about 2 and half years and also own a Californa guitars Strat ripoff. If this guitar were stolen I would but somthing like a Ibanez Jetking (I like the look and sound) or a higher end Dean V Model cause I hear those are pretty sick. // 7

V X Reviewed by: atrumluminarium, on august 15, 2011

Price paid: € 248

Purchased from: http://www.thomann.de

Features: My Dean was made in China in 2010. The features of this guitar are: -Basswood body in the shape of a Gibson Flying V. -Finished in black. -Unfinished 24.75" mahogany neck with the V headstock fitted with grover tuners. -Rosewood fret-board with 22 medium-jumbo-sized frets with Dot inlays. -Tune-o-matic Bridge with string-thru design. -2 Dean passive humbucher pickups -X1 master tone knob -X2 volume knobs -X1 3-way selector Included accessories: -A cable -allen key for adjusting the trussrod -fitted .009 set of strings The only thing that I'm against is that it doesnt come with a gigbag. I still haven't found one that fits which is a shame. One could buy a hard-case but it costs almost as much as the guitar. But anyway it's still a great bargain. // 8

Sound: This guitar is all the way metal, yet can be as versatile as anything. By the looks of this guitar; one would want to make the first note through the Drive channel. No matter the ammount of gain, the notes are always "tidy" and very rich no matter how fast! It also has the Bridge pick-up closer to the Bridge than most guitars; this gives a tighter sound and clearer harmonics. Yet; sounding it through the clean channel, it sounds just like an acoustic. One can even hear the "scrapy" sounds that you hear when you run your fingers up the wound strings making it very versatile. My amp setting is either: gain:10 treb:1 mid:10 bass:1 (gives a kinda Megadeth sound) or: gain:10 treb:10 mid:1 bass:10 (gives a very brutal sound yet lets the harmonics scream and sustain) and through Bridge pickup I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp. I sometimes run this guitar through a Behringer HD300 distortion (I mostly prefere to use amp Drive channel because my philosophy is that the less stuff between pickups and amp speaker is better for sound) which still gives out "tidy" notes even with the 2 full distortion knobs and a full bass boost (all on the pedal) but that might be more brutal than some players might want. I once ran this pedal through a DigiTech Bass Multi Chorus and it sounds good aswell even if it's a bass pedal. This guitar doesn't have a whammy-bar; but I managed to create the effect by pressing on the strings behind the Bridge dus raising the pitch but i don't recommend doing it because it can be strain on your bridge. I admit that in a couple of years I'll Switch to Seymour Duncan Invaders SH-8's, but for a couple of years I'll see what juice i can get out from these puppies because although not much of a name but they are good too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up with PERFECT: intonation, straight neck, low action and perfect pickup height. Although this guitar had a lot of sustain, I really improved it by increasing the action and pickup hight, and still the intonation didn't vary much. The only little flaw in this great instrument is that if switching pick-ups, one can hear a crackle through the amp. but that really doesnt affect me because I only use the Bridge pick-up. At first the bolt-on neck is a little uncomfortable for the 21+ frets but you'll get easily used to that // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can handle anything: from the quiet in a studio, to the commotion at a venue. it's heavy duty yet the tone stays solid even though it doesn't have locking tuners or locking top nut. The hardware (fret-wire & bridge) seem very heavy duty. I mean if they can all withstand my very disgusting sweaty hands without corroding; then they're good. When tuning your guitar the tune changes very fast. When playing live you can drop-tune quickly for songs that go out of your usual tunings without needing an other guitar. Although it's good to have an other guitar with thicker strings for the more drastic drop tunes (eg: from standart E to drop A) or a 24-fretter with a floydrose Bridge for the shred. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great. Great tone, playability, looks and price. TONE: Versatile that can play extreme metal with very high distortion (infact, they were made famous by the tech death metal band Nile), blues, and acoustics. I mostly sudjest this guitar for metal or hard rock mostly. PLAYABILITY: This guitar has a comfortable neck, easily accessable controls, and the frets are easy to bend on. LOOKS: One word: WOOOOOOOOW!!!! I mean if you look at the thing; one can notice that the Dean logo on the headstock is kinda' an inversion of the body and the boomerang-shaped tailpiece. Plus that headstock is metal all the way, using your immagination you can see that it looks like the metal-on hand sign. PRICE: The price (248) was a great deal for this guitar and serves my metal style very well. Great metal looks, and crushing metal tones. Basically, other than the VERY minor faults, buying this, you'll be playing a brutal metal monster!! // 9

V X Reviewed by: sarge.grif0606, on august 16, 2013

Purchased from: Clawson music

Features: 22 frets, crappy pickups, bolt on neck, those terrible knobs that have numbers on them and pop off all the time and the numbers correspond to absolutely nothing haha. The finish is a gloss black, going into its 8th year of service its starting to see some wear, its a really thick finish too. Strung through body is nice, the guitar was well set up when I got it and it being a lefty model V that I could afford was really exciting. I've since changed out the knobs and the Grover tuners for locking tuners. I've swapped out the stock pickups with EMG 81 bridge and 60 in the neck. Out of the box this isn't a terrible guitar but not a great one either. It was well set up and everything but just stock parts were lacking, but what do you expect from a 300$ guitar. // 7

Sound: I play lots of heavy metal and when I first got the guitar it definitely wasn't suited for it, pickups were too muddy, palm muted riffs quickly turned into a blur of fuzz, swapping out to better pickups remedied this immediately. I play through a Peavey 6505+ with matching cab and its a monster. Good tone, some of the frets buzz out but getting it reset up should remedy that, I haven't done it in years. With the stock pickups it was good for a classic rock tone, clean was a little lacking, it was also surprisingly noisy. With the EMG pickups its really a metal monster, its always had a full sound but if you get this guitar do your self a favor and swap out the pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was super low when I got it and over the years its stayed pretty well, I think it just needs a tune up. The stock pickups were trash like I said swap them out as soon as you can. Everything was actually pretty well done, I'm thinking of swapping out the nut for a graphite one and changing some more hardware out but that's more because of limitations of the cheap hardware more than its badly done. The only major issue I had the hardware was my fault, stepping on my cable and ripping out my output jack, Its been fixed and all but the flush output jack has been a source of paranoia ever since! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can and will stand up to live play, I've used it for 6 months now doing shows and I takes it like a tank. haven't had a problem with most of the hardware in 8 years and It's not showing signs of breaking down yet. It's dependable but I'm always sure to have a backup just in case. The finish is only wearing in certain parts of the body and I'm ok with that, the strap buttons are a little small and I'm thinking of swapping them out with some locking ones but it hasn't ever been an issue. The stock bridge hasn't rusted under my sweaty hands or anything yet. I'm pretty happy with how the Dean has held up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play death metal and thrash, some classic stuff and she stands up, I have a lefty Jackson DK2, a Fender Strat, and a Schecter Solo 6 with blackouts and this is still a goto guitar for me. For the price it's hard to complain and if someone stole it I wouldn't know what to do. I'd end buying another V that's for sure but I don't know if I'd start cheap and build it up like I did with the Dean. I love classic V shape of the guitar and the Dean headstock oozes stage presence, people come talk to me about my guitar all the time after shows. I chose it because I could afford it and its a lefty V. I honestly don't know if I'd go down the same road again but for how long I've had it and how well it plays I love having it. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014