Vendetta VNXM 7 String Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 07/12/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Vendetta VNXM 7 String
I play just about every style of music except for pop. This guitar does it all.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 6.5
 5.9
 7.3
 4.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Vendetta VNXM 7 String Reviewed by: AAleadguitar, on may 09, 2011

Features: Solid, sculpted wood body Thin Bolt-on maple neck 24 frets Rosewood fretboard two Dual Dean open-coil humbuckers String-thru body Die cast tuners Tune-o-matic-style bridge one volume and one tone knob three-way selector switch 4 + 3 non-locking tuners // 7

Sound: I play just about every style of music except for pop. This guitar does it all. I run it through a Boss GT-10 pedal board and a peavy bass amp. Its built for metal but if you run it through with nothing but an equalizer and a little verb the clean is near heavenly. The 7th string allows not only for a little more bass without drop tuning but also allows for more chord inversions and voicings which is essential for all styles of music. By itself if and an amp, (with no effects) the note clarity is amazing. The tone range is not a wide as other guitars but its enough to where you can here it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation was the only problem I had when I first got this guitar. That is easily fixxed and if you don't know how to work a Tune-o-matic Bridge guitar center can do it for you for $20. The action on the guitar is unbeleivable, with no fret buzz on any of the frets, on any of the strings when you play it. My favorite thing about this guitar is how light it is. I would say its 3-4 pounds at the most. It does take some getting use to the 7th string but once you do, its well worth it. The guitar is not one of the coolest looking guitars but I care more about how it plays than how it looks. Looks can be changed by any good artist. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play live on a local radio station, with a live audience of about 50-70, in a church band every week for about the past year. The electronics have stayed solid and I've never even had a problem with the output jack coming loose. I have never dropped it so I can't say anything about how well it will hold up. The strap buttons I replaced with strap locks (only out of prefferance) and then less than a month later, the bottem one fell out. Wood filler quickly fixxed the problem. Other than that I have never had a problem with it. I would go to a gig without a back up no problem. If you take care of this guitar it will take even better care of you. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar fits every style of music. I've been playing for 3 years and I own an array of guitars and this by far is my favorite one to play. I do have to give credit to the GT-10 though. It can make a bad guitar sound good and a good guitar, like this one, sound amazing. I would buy this guitar a 100 times over and over again if I ever broke or for some reason lost it. I beleive there is no better electric guitar under $750. // 9

Vendetta VNXM 7 String Reviewed by: Mattzgillz, on july 12, 2011

Purchased from: music123

Features: Some of this guitar's features include: - 24 jumbo frets - bolt on maple neck - string thru paulownia body - passive open-coil humbucker Bridge and neck pick-ups - volume knob, tone knob, 3-way pick-up selector - 6 foot cable and allen-wrench (for truss rod) included It should be noted that this is the first guitar I have ever owned, and that I am no expert by any means in this subject. However, I have played a few other guitars, so I do have something to compare to. I have also owned this guitar for about four months now, so I have become quite familiar with it. As far as the features of this guitar go, there are quite a few pros and cons to be mentioned. I'll start with the pros... First and foremost, this guitar is very player friendly. Its very light-weight, which means you aren't as distracted by the strap digging into you, and there isn't much effort in holding or transporting it. It also has a very non-obstructive body shape, which means there isn't much of anything poking out or in the way. Having played my friends Dean Razorback, I can feel a very noticable difference in weight (his being very heavy), and the ease of which my guitar is handled compared to his. There is also a groove cut into the part of the guitar I lean into with my chest. This makes it more comfortable to play. The part at the bottom of the neck where the body bolts onto the neck is also shaved down, which makes accessing the highest frets comfortable and easy. There are a few cons though... My main complaint is the pick-ups. They seem to catch cetain sounds far too easily while letting other sounds be drowned out. For instance, any time I take my finger off a fret, a loud, squealing harmonic will screech out and drown out the deeper notes. This is partly due to me not being very good at muting (I've been playing about 4 months) but the pick-ups also are very sensitive to the noise. This may not be a legitimate complaint, it may be completely due to my playing not being very refined, but I figure it was worth mentioning. This complaint also applys to chords, as it seems to pick up certain strings better than others, which gives certain chords an uneven sound. I will certainly try to find better pick-ups when I have the money. The pick-up selector is also somewhat hard to reach, and when I Switch pick-ups it causes all the strings to ring out. This will be a hinderance if I ever start playing songs that require pick-up switching mid-song. My final complaint is that around the 12th fret the neck of my guitar gets thicker, which makes it hard to reach frets above 12 on the low B string with my pinky. This may be something all seven string players need to learn to deal with, but its worth mentioning. // 6

Sound: The sound is good enough for a beginner's guitar, and would probably improve greatly with better pick-ups, but as of now, the sound of the guitar is what I would consider fairly average. Sadly I don't know enough about "bright" or "warm" tone, so I can't really tell you much about that. I play the many styles death metal the most, with some thrash metal and avant garde thrown in. Right now I play At The Gates, Lamb Of God, Job For A Cowboy, but I have aspirations to play stuff like Beyond Creation, Arsis, Necrophagist, Behemoth, Whitechapel, Anata and much more. The Vendetta suits my sound well, with easy access to very deep tunings like drop A and B standard, without having to change strings to play in drop D or Standard tuning. I also look forward to having the extended range of a seven string for when I start writing my own material. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is very well put together, it feels sturdy and stays in tune for much longer than I would expect from an electric guitar without a floyd rose. The knobs fell every so slighly wiggly, but not loose or flimsy. The pick-up selector seems small, but its sturdy and well attatched. The finish looks good, and seems like it will last if I don't abuse my guitar. The finish does seem to attract dust, and show dirt/ dust and smudges, but that is a fairly minor complaint, as I have no problem cleaning my guitar. Also please note that the guitar comes with a low B string that is far too loose, especially tuned in drop A. I would buy a.64 or.68 as soon as possible. Guitar strings above .60 are a pain to get, but if you go to juststrings.com you should able to find the strings you're looking for in the D'Addario nickel wound section, that's how I got my .66 guage string. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The body any neck of the guitar seem very sturdy and well attached, which gives me the impression that it is well put together and durable. However, I have never put my guitar in any conditions to test its durability, so I can't be sure. The strap attatchment seem sturdy, and hold well, but I mostly play sitting down, so they haven't really been under duress. The finish seems like it will last as well, I've scraped it very hard with my favourite pick, which I've sharpened to a triangular point, and the finish wasn't damaged at all. As far as live playing, I haven't played live, and I doubt I will till I've had a year or two to become proficient in my chosen style of music (no small task). However, I would feel confident playing this guitar live without a back-up. As far as being nuilt to last, I have no doubt this guitar wil last me a lifetime if I take good care of it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I really love this guitar. It fits well with my music style, as far as looks and sound. It realy is wonderful guitar for its price, even though there are many better 7-strings out there, none of them are as inexpensive as the Vendetta VNXM 7. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy a better guitar for more money, but as far as a beginner's guitar, I couldn't possibly think of anything I would choose over this one. // 7

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014