Z 79 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 07/26/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Z 79
The '79 Z features the same hot electronics and striking visuals that made Dean a household name in the late '70s. Dual humbuckers, stop tailpiece and vintage 3-way switching. Get a piece of the real thing!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.3
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Z 79 Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on august 16, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in Korea, The shape of this guitar is based on the Gibson Explorer, in my opinion one of the sexiest guitars ever made. It is made out of mahogny, with a set mahogany neck. This one's white with black binding, I don't think they make white ones anymore but you can get them in sunburst or black which both have amber knobs and cream p/u covers unlike this one, which has black knobs and p/u rings. The hardware is nickel and It has a TOM bridge with a Flying V tailpeice. The electronics are all std. Gibson Explorer (3 way Switch, 2 vol, 1 tone knob). However the tuners are grover tuners, which is standard Dean stuff. It came with A custom fitted Hardshell case in which the guitar fits perfectly, although it is extremly heavy. // 9

Sound: I am playing this guitar thru a Peavey Ultra 112 tube amp, NOFX. I play stuff along the lines of Metallica, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Alexisonfire, Testament and RHCP aswell as acoustic things. This guitar is obviously suited more for classic rock being a 1979 reissue, but that is not to say that you can't play more modern stuff on it. The distortion is very heavy but if you stop playing, it doesn't make a lot of noise. On the neck p/u you get a great rock/metal rhythm sound however it is very bassy, maybe a little too bassy. The bridge p/u gives you a very metal tone, great for shredding. The pickups aren't as insane as on most metal guitars but I find this is good, as your palying souns a lot tighter and you don't have to turn the gain down to hear all the notes. The clean sound Is very bright when you are using the bridge p/u, The toen is nice sounding and not dull like on some guitars. The neck p/u is very warm and is very accurate, you can hear everything you do on the strings. Great for clean rhythm guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how well it was set up at the factory but I got it with a very nice low action. The Switch and knobs and the out put jack are all ticht and even tohugh it is (apparently) over a year old the paint is not damaged anywhere and all the hardware is good as new. The only problem is that I thought the knobs were a bit tacky but that's it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I said the paint has not chipped off anywhere, And the hardware is all still fine so I think it will last. The strap buttons are not particularly big, so straploks are a good idea here. The guitar seems very solid, you can really shred the f--k out of this thing and dig in to the strings when playing powerchords and the strings stay in tune, thanks to the grover tuners and the bridge. I would definetly gig this without a b/u. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for the best part of 2 years now. I play rock/metal/punk/acoustic rock and this works very well as a rock and metal guitar, it definetly looks the part if you like Metallica or Trivium as well as sounding very nice. The best thing about this guitar is the fact that it came with a cust. fitted case and just how great it looks. I wish this guitar had black hardware but that doesn't bother me really. if it were stolen or lost I would be very slightly hissed and would prolly buy another guitar because life's too short to buy the same guitar twice! If I had the money I might buy a Gibson or ESP Explorer or a more expensive Dean like the razorback or maybe even track down a real '79 Dean Z! // 8

Z 79 Reviewed by: Devon Moulton, on july 22, 2010

Features: The Dean Z'79 is an amazing guitar, not just for sound, but for looks, 2009 made in Korea, Neck through Laminated Top, a beautiful Tranz Brazilia Burst finish with burgundy back, made of Mahogany, Tune-O-Matic Bridge Rosewood fret board with Pearl inlays, and non-locking Grover Tuners, Dean Zebra Pickups. 2 Volume knobs 1 Tone knob with a 3-way selector, so it can act as a kill Switch if you want, a beautiful Explorer shape. // 9

Sound: Sound is ****ing amazing when use of the bridge pickup, it has an amazing clear sound that is Perfect for Thrash metal (Megadeth and Metallica styles) or Glam metal (like old Pantera style glam metal) when used with the right amount of distortion, amp I use for this is a little Orange Crush 10, and the raw power that comes from it is amazing, the sound is so clear and rich from the Bridge, there was no limit to how much gain could be used, but when it came to the neck pichup, the sound was slightly less clearer when too much gain was put on, the sound still great, but best used on a clean state or semi clean state. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I found that everything on this guitar was in the right order, except for one minor part at the base of the neck connecting to the body where it looks like the neck is slightly bigger that the body slot, but isnt that noticeable until you actually start looking for flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: i have had this guitar for 8 months, and it has proven to play quite amazingly live on a Fender 212R amp, i trust this guitar live because of its durability and for its finish never seeming to scrape away, it has accidentally scratched against the wall a few times, but it has been the wall and not the guitar that has taken the damage. the only problem id have is strings snapping all the time, but that is my own fault because i play fast and hard. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is... Amazing, will not let you down, if something were to happen to this guitar like getting smashed or stolen, I would buy this exact model, because it sounds great and it hasn't let me down yet, is a great buy for a reasonable price for quality work. // 9

Z 79 Reviewed by: legioneloza, on july 26, 2011

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: some music store

Features: Bought this guitar 5 yearts ago. I'm from Romania and I had to go in the neighbouring country, Hungary, to buy this. At that time, in Romania nobody sold them. So I had to go in Budapest (Hungary) to buy this. Initialy I wanted to buy a MLF 79 but they ran out of them. So I bought this. Don't know the year it was made, but I can aproximate about 2005 - early 2006. Made in South Korea. 22 frets, mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Body shaped like an Gibson Explorer, mahogany with maple top. Black glossy finish. Bridge is tune-o-matic; with a v-stile shape, interesting, the strings come out of the body. I found this to be a bonus for string stability. Passive electronics. Two volume and one tone knob, 3 way selector. 2 humbucker pickups. Some stock pickups from Dean. Don't know the model. Zebra color. Grover tuners. It didn't came with a case. I bought that separately. But I bought the case the same day from the same store. So I includeed the case price in the initial price. // 10

Sound: I play rock, hard rock and some metal. I'm using it with a Vox Pathfinder amp and a Marshall Guv'nor Drive pedal for 5 years I've been using this combinatios and I found it to suit my style. The humbuckers are great for stock ones. Any tipe of rock/metal can come out of this guitar. I've played some blues. So it can deliver. Even some Pantera. But after 5 years of hard playing these pickups had enough and I have to replace them. They have an ugly backround noise now. Sounds like a jackhammer. Oh well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was wery high. And the pickups where not adjusted. Had them adjusted and worked fine. No flaws at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well. After 5 years of hard playing..hard abusing it... Yes, it's a reliable guitar. I banged it, bashed it, even played some cimbals with the head at some time at rehearsals just for fun (like Dime in "I'm Broken" music video) and it's stil functional. Hell. Except a few scrach marks on the back side. It looks the same as the first day. The hardware is not something that is guaranteed to last a lifetime. Pickups must be changeed after some time (gonna change them in a few days)... Screws rust away. All of them. Got to change them too. I advise people to use a soft metal head screw driver when medling with the screws. They are very soft (I used a vanadium covered screw driver... bad mistake). Strap buttons changed them with straplocks..they waren't reliable. The strap kept faling off from the neck one. It was too little. In coclusion. The screws have a tendency to rust..even the humbuckers started to rust a little (maybe from my fault? I didn't cleaned the guitar after I played every time). It is my only guitar for 5 years now. And Yes. You can depend on it. I went to a lot of gigs with it and didn't have a problem. But after 5 years of playing you can expect some damage to apear, but nothing serious. I like the black glossy finish. It look like it's long lasting. I have some scratches on the back, but you have too look close to see them. Overal, it's a realiable and dependable guitar if you take care of it. // 9

Overall Impression: It's excelent for rock, hard and some heavy metal. It suits me fine. I've been playing for 9 years now. Had 2 other crapy guitars before this but this one blows them away.. I'm very pleased with it. I play it with a Vox Pathfinder and a Marshall Guv'nor. I also have a Vox Wah Wah pedal. The sound is great with them. I've played even Pantera songs with this baby and it sounds fine. If it were stole/lost/broken or anything of that shit. I would buy another one. I got this baby by chance. As I said, I wanted an MLF and had to buy this. I had a big and happy surprise. I love everything about it - the neck, the body, the finish - everything. It a good guitar regardind the price. My opinion? If you want a good an cheap guitar - buy this. You won't regret it! (Sorry for the bad grammar). // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014