ST-203 Review

manufacturer: Dimavery date: 11/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dimavery: ST-203
This Strat copy has 22 medium frets which feel nice. The neck is comfortably flat and the fingerboard could be better but is fine for the price paid.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 6.5
 7.1
 7.2
reviews (2) pictures (10) 6 comments vote for this gear:
ST-203 Reviewed by: Jerry Monkey, on july 11, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay.de

Features: This Strat copy has 22 medium frets which feel nice. The neck is comfortably flat and the fingerboard could be better but is fine for the price paid (actually, better then I expected). The body is nice and solid. Don't know the wood but its some of the heavier ones. The bridge is a nice adjustable typical Strat like vibrato, although I don't recommend using it too much as it jumps easily out of tune. The typical 2 tones & 1 volume knobs are provided and function very well. Only down side are the tuners but that's always like that on these cheep axes. The set came with bag, strap, tuning pipe, cable and picks. // 6

Sound: It has a nice solid and low tone. Which is a nice thing for beginners as it takes some mistakes off. For rock, for blues, for just anything this guitar is fine to begin with, or if you never had a single coiled guitar then why not try it with this one first for example. To my surprise, the pickups aren't noisy at all! Which is a very good thing, I hate the single coil hum. I've tried more expensive ones that produced more noisy, so this point pleased me a lot. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From factory it was set very nicely. The action may still need some correction but the intonation was perfect & the bow of the neck was fine. The only thing I noticed is that the pickup selector may need some oil as its very hard to move, especially for a Strat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't think any J70 guitar would be advisable for live playing, but somebody is gonna have to try it, right? The hardware seams alright, I don't think it is gonna shatter into tiny bits or anything. The strap buttons seam fitted in fine. The finish may not be as strong as on other, more expensive guitars but again J70. // 7

Overall Impression: Dimavery is a German make that reproduces lots of known guitars for a very good price. Of course when you buy a J70 axe you can't expect to sound like jimmy or have an axe that will last you for years and years of playing, but as I wanted one for my girlfriend who will just start with this guitar it will do her lots of good. I'm happy with it. I've tried other more expensive ones (2x & 3x the price) in shops and they didn't feel as good as this one so that's just a fine price/quality product. // 9

ST-203 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2011

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: Dealer

Features: Well I was in need of a practice guitar so I decided to try a Dimavery. When it came, it was just like an ordinary Strat copy. The average 22 fret finger board. I guess the body is just firewood, nothing special. The standard bridge (I don't know why they included a whamy bar, it's just a piece of crap). 2 tone and 1 volume knob, they seem to be ok. It came in a set with a guitar bag, 1 cable, spear strings, 1 strap, and a set of picks. I presume it's just to fool beginners to buy it. // 7

Sound: I normally play blues, hard rock and heavy metal. On the first hand, on my Marshall Mustang amp, on the clear setting it sounds ok, nice tone on the acoustics. The pups are nothing more than old light bulbs if you ask me. This guitar can only cope with the clear tone. You can't even say a good thing when it comes to distortion. The pups are terrible. Maybe overdrive but distortion never. If you buy this guitar make sure you change the pups, I mean real fast! The interesting part is that these light bulbs don't buzz. I was surprised to find out about this. Usually a single coil would buzz on higher gain, but these never (Perhaps something gone wrong with the amp I don't know, It was too good to be true). And if you get new pick-ups it's just a waste of time and money, because the plywood body won't cope, no matter what you put on. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: To be honest, the set-up was perfect. The action was good, it suited my style. The strings are just... Don't know... Too standard. The hardware was ok, the electronics were ok to my surprise. I usually rewire the guitar, I just don't trust the job made in the factory. The finish is quite ok for a beginners eye. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played, or practiced with it for about an year I guess. I changed those light bulbs with a set of Seymour Duncan, which I had them from an old ESP. The plywood seems durable. The strap buttons are pretty solid. The knobs are ok still on, perhaps I was lucky and I got a good guitar, usually the knobs would fly after 2 weeks of playing. // 8

Overall Impression: No matter what pups you put on it still won't sound better. It's just a guitar suited for beginners to learn with. I would recommend for beginners to try something more expensive. If you are desperate to get a electric axe, then try it on your own risk. I bought it to experiment with it, I can't say that I don't like it, but it's just another cheap axe for beginners. // 6

More Dimavery reviews rating category latest review
+ JB-302 1.9 Bass Guitars 11/01/2011