Belvedere Deluxe Review

manufacturer: DiPinto date: 01/14/2010 category: Electric Guitars
DiPinto: Belvedere Deluxe
It features a double-layer semi-hollow mahogany body, single f-hole, two-tone finish, massive paddle-shaped headstock and small humbucking pickups.
 6.8
 8.4
 5.1
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Belvedere Deluxe Reviewed by: Caraco, on january 14, 2010

Features: The Belvedere Deluxe sports a dual chambered mahogany single cutaway body with a single f hole. I first thought it looked like someone threw up glitter all over it, but then it's "eclectic" look grew on me a bit. The dual mini humbuckers offer a fantastic range of sound and the simple tone/volume/pickup selector controls allow you to easily dial in the tone you need. Mine has a bigsby tailpiece and a tune-o-matic bridge, but I believe HardTail version are available. The body is fairly thin but, even for being chambered, is still quite heavy. All chrome hardware complement the glitter apocalypse that this guitar has endured. It has a bolt-on maple neck featuring 22 frets and a 24 3/4" scale length over an ebony fretboard. It's 1 3/4" at the headstock and is not too fast because of the heavy gloss finish, but is not a burden or too slow. Overall has a nice scale length, great pickups and electronics, but mainly has no name equipment (besides the bigsby), and is relatively heavy, but wellbalanced. // 7

Sound: This guitar offers a surprising array of sounds and can go from very bright, punchy stuff, to much darker, muddier jazzy tones as well. The pickups complement each other fairly well and the simple controls allow easy dialing in of tone. I've had both .12's and .10's on there, and both still crank out MASSIVE sustain. The pickups are very hot, but also are super clean, no buzzing or hum whatsoever come out of these babies! I don't really run any effects on this guitar, at least as far as changing the sound is concerned. I'll use delays and other pedals like that, but it really needs no complement to make it sound better. I run this guitar through an Epiphone Valve Jr, so I know I'm getting just the guitar pure and simple. It suits jazz, country, rock, and rockabilly (this is what it seems to be really made for) quite well. I love the twang that this guitar really has, not too harsh. This thing wasn't built for metal, but I can't imagine any metal heads with that much glitter on their guitar anyway. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I didn't get this guitar "factoryfresh" I can't vouch for that. I set up my guitar up when I brought it home. This guitar can get a super low action with no buzzing. Everything is very responsive on this guitar, the tuners are ridiculously smooth (I didn't think I'd ever rave about tuners, but these make tuning to pitch soooooo much nicer than any guitar I've had before), and the electronics have an audible effect on sound from 110. Everything on this guitar seems like it was carefully measured, planned, and produced. Very well made, indeed. Now the finish, hmmm... This is really an opinion here. At first, like I said, this thing struck me as obscenely gaudy. But the more I look at it, the more it all seems to fit with each other. It really is a Rockabilly type guitar and aesthetic, and the quirks in styling set it apart from others out there. The heavy gloss finish mimics Vintage plastic molded guitars. The full body pickguard is satin white while the body is twotone black and white. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made solid and seams like it could take a beating easy. This finish is THICKTHICKTHICK so it probably will never fade and all the chrome is still holding up well. The only thing is that bigsby, mine stays in tune for the most part, but I have a pretty light touch, just soft vibrato. After giving it some really big dips and turns, it did go out of tune a bit. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is great for anyone who's style is a very active sounding jazz, rock, but is perfect for a Rockabilly. I have owned a few guitars, an Ibanez artcore, a custom Telecaster, and a '60s Kay style leader. This really goes above all of those (even the Kay), it is a guitar I really want to play. It's easy to play and is super versatile. The only thing would need is a modern makeover, or a different era Vintage one... // 9

Comments