Grendel 725 Review

manufacturer: Douglas date: 01/27/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Douglas: Grendel 725
I play heavy metal and djent. Not the best for me until I get better pickups. I wish it had better pickups and grover tuners, then it would be an amazing guitar. But you can't complain with a 170 price tag!
 4.6
 6.8
 2.3
review (1) pictures (4) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Grendel 725 Reviewed by: pointblank36, on january 27, 2012

Purchased from: Rondo Music

Features: Year made: 2011, purchased in USA, made in China. - 24 frets - 25.5 scale - Fat maple neck (very comfortable for me) - Rosewood fingerboard - Solid Top - Basswood body - Natural Finish (light brown stain) - Strat-ish body (horns are alot sharper and cutaways alot deeper) - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Passive 7 String pickups (wax ceramic) and pots (1 tone, 1 vol) - 1 tone, 1 volume, 3-way pickup selector - humbucker:humbucker, non-brand - locking tuners, non-brand - no accessories // 7

Sound: The pickups are VERY weak (no pinches on the B string, doesn't suit my style (heavy metal, djent). Using Peavey Transtube 112 (Valveking 100w on the way), Crybaby Original Wah, Behringer PO300 overdrive. Some feekback on all selections, full sound, better for clean than distortion. Can go from any combination with amp adjusts. Will not be able to do very high-gain stuff. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fine, neck was perfect as usual from rondo. Frets weren't sharp at all. The neck is a dream to play on. VERY easy to sweep and shred with it. Pickups are very easy to adjust (fixed to body (no plastic cover/spring)). No bookmatching, the bridge is correctly routed. Came with a chip in the tip of the headstock (first time I've ever had this problem with Rondo). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar could easily withstand live playing... With better pickups. The hardware is all very strong, only issue is that is I kinda try to slide the neck, it makes a little squawk (suggesting weak screw joint? ) Strap buttons are solid, but I change them out for locking anyway. Finish is near-perfect, very smooth, satin-neck. And thick. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and djent (i.e.: In Flames, All That Remains, Periphery, Pantera, Scar Symmetry). Not the best for me until I get better pickups. I've been playing for 3 years. Also own Douglas Shadow CSB, Douglas Spad Pro (with EMG 81/60), and Fender Squier Strat. Peavey Transtube 112, Fender 15G. I wish I would've known how bad the stock pickups were. I would not get this again, I'd get something better. I LOVE the neck and body, I HATE the pickups and tuners. I didn't compare against any other guitars, just to my friend Ibanez RGA7 with BKP's. NO COMPARISON. I wish it had better pickups and grover tuners, then it would be an amazing guitar. But you can't complain with a 170 price tag! // 6

More Douglas reviews rating category latest review
+ Hadron 727 8.4 Electric Guitars 11/11/2014