S101 Review

manufacturer: Drive date: 07/13/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Drive: S101
The Drive S101 is one of the most affordable electric guitars. It is based on the ledgendary Fender Stratocaster and is equipped with 3 single coil pickups that are switched using a 5-way pickup selector. The body is the classic strat style as is the neck. It also has the standard style tremolo. The guitar looks and feels like guitars costing much more.
 8.3
 6.5
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
S101 Reviewed by: Darklights, on july 13, 2005

Features: The S101 by Drive Guitars is an amazing value. It features all that musicians want at an absolutely unbeatable price. The S101 features 3 single coil pickups for a full, sustained tone. It has a hardwood body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The fretboard has 21 frets and dot inlaid position markers. The chrome tuning gears are enclosed to keep dirt and dust out and ensure that the guitar will tune easily. The electronics contain 1 volume control, 2 tone controls, and a 5 position pickup selector Switch, making it possible to dial in the right tone with ease. // 10

Sound: For the price this thing has awesome sound. It's good for most styles of music, but best suited for classic rock. It has a bright punchy sound and handles harder stuff pretty good too, but would sound much better for the harder stuff if I added a SD hot rail or something at the bridge and neck. I have to say, while practicing without an amp this thing has terrific sound. Basicly it sounds very much like an accoustic without the amp. Body has good tonality\harmonics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action didn't come set right, so with a little adjustment I have it where I want it. The pickups (for what they are) were fine but I messed with them anyway. The finish came flawless. // 10

Overall Impression: Haven't seriously been learning but for two months but I like to play classic rock and modern rock with a pinch of hard rock and alternative thrown in. My nephews band (punk) mostly used this guitar, and my daughter began toying with it for the last year and a half. I am more than satisfied with the guitar features vs price. I can't say I'd get another one if it were stolen because I also have a Peavey Predator and will be picking up a Les Paul next month, but I would highly recommend it to any beginner out there because it's built to last and sounds good. I also can't say that I find anything I don't like about this guitar. // 10

More Drive reviews rating category latest review
+ CD300 5.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/12/2010