S102 HSS Review

manufacturer: Drive date: 12/24/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Drive: S102 HSS
The S102 comes fully equipped with 2 sweet single-coil pickups, a bridge humbucking pickup for thick sustain, and 5-way switching for tone to the bone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 8.9
 9.9
 7.8
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
S102 HSS Reviewed by: fr0zt, on may 04, 2004

Features: Double Cut-Away Contoured Body. Rosewood Neck w/ Maple FingerBoard. 2 Single-Coil Pickups. 1 Humbucking Pickup. 5-Way Pickup Selector. Single Volume. Dual Tone. Die-Cast Tuning Machines. Vintage Tremolo. Chrome Hardware. 21 Frets. 25 1/2" Scale. Made In China. 10' Cable Included. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a great sound. It does not sound like a 69 dollar guitar. It sounds great on my Marshall MG10CD for practice. Great overdrive and clean. Very rich sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything came fantastic on this guitar. The pickguard is a little messed up but very hard to see, almost with a magnifying glass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it would be a great backup for gigs. It would also be a good primary guitar for a small gig. Everything came absolutely solid on this thing. ut please, buy an extra cable along with this. The cable I got was very cheap but it may vary from guitar to guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Please don't hesitate to buy this guitar especially if you're a first timer. It has great sound and the quality is really high. I was kind of nervous that the price would reflect the quality of this guitar, but it definately doesn't. Just buy a better cable and it will be perfect for live playing // 10

S102 HSS Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2004

Sound: This guitar definitely suits my music style, which is rock...I've been using it with a Kustom Practice Amp, and a RMS-10 mini-amp, and it sounds great. I like pretty much everything about the sound of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on this guitar was pretty much perfect...except for the strings. Don't get me wrong, they're good strings, but I prefer Ernie Ball's. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely stand live playing...easily. Everything seems liek it will last for a good long time. The strap buttons are solid, and I can depend on it...and I would use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Pretty much all I play is rock music, and this guitar suits me perfectly. It has the traditional Strat look to it. I've been playing about 5 months, but I have played quite a few guitars, including Fender, Squire, Jay Turser, Gibson, Edge, and quite a few more...so I know this guitar isn't a piece of crap. The best part about this guitar, though, would have to be the price..70 bucks from Musician's Friend, plus it comes with a 10' cord. I like this guitar almost as good as my uncle's Strat...oh yea...in case you didn't know, Drive is a subcompany of Switch. // 10

S102 HSS Reviewed by: PjX71, on december 24, 2005

Features: I'm pretty sure this guitar was made in 2003. It was manufactured in China which I admit I was a little skeptical about at first. The body is cutaway and the color is sunburst. I'm not sure about the pickups but I'm almost positive this one came with an active pickup! I'm serious. I could talk through the bridge pickup and my voice would actually come out of my amp. A lot of distortion is required for that I might mention. // 10

Sound: Man this guitar is build for rock. I'm playing it through a Crate FXT120 212 and a Marshall full stack. The tone is just unbelievable for the price. I can't get over it. The pickups aren't too noisy but sometimes there is a little bit of a buzz from them. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how well it was set up to begin with since I bought it from a friend but he said that he had to lower the bridge a little to fit his style of playing and he also changed the strings because he likes Elixers better than the factory brand. Oh and the bridge pickup is a little loose. I'm not sure its supposed to be like that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar several times at gigs. It's not my main guitar but I use it for its amazing clean sound. I regularly use my Gibson Explorer w/EMG 81's and 85's, but the clean on this blows my Gibson out of the water. And this guitar cost less than $100! I've used this guitar without a backup before and it was great. Only problem is sometimes the strap holders get really loose so I put a bigger screw in it and haven't have a problem since. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, and some prog-rock and this guitar is well suited for it. I'm not sure what kind of pickups it has but they are pretty good. I am still thinking of buying new ones though. I've been playing for nearly 4 years now and I am amazed at the quality of this guitar. A good $50 well spent in my opinion. If this guitar was stolen from me I would probably buy another. // 10

More Drive reviews rating category latest review
+ CD300 5.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/12/2010