Airline 2P DLX Review

9.7
reviews (4) 40 comments vote for this gear:
Airline 2P DLX Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2007

Purchased from: My Rare Guitars.com

Features: - Tone Chambered Mahogany body - Bound maple, bolt-on neck - Rosewood, block markers fingerboard - Scale Length: 25 1/2" (648mm) - Width at Nut: 1 11/16" - Pickups: Two Alnico Hot-10 Humbuckers - Switching: 3-Way - Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 1 Master Volume - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic, Custom Chrome Tail - Hardware: Vintage Kluson Style Nickel/Chrome - Strings: D'Addario #10 - Unique features: Custom Chrome tailpiece, Raised Metal AIRLINE Logo // 9

Sound: Everyone will recognize this as the "White Stripes" guitar, and if you're looking for that nasty Jack White tone, this is the guitar for you. Despite not being made of shitty fiberglass and sporting MUCH better pickups and electronics than the original Valco models from the 1960's, the tone is instantly recognizable. I play it through a 2004 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amplifier and play through a Boss distortion pedal and a Little Big Muff and this thing screams. But as soon as you turn off the effect, it goes from sounding like a gritty Les Paul to a Rickenbacker in a flash. I bought this to get a Jack White sound, but I got even more, as this is probably the most versitile axe that I own (even more so than my 1973 Fender Strat and my Epiphone Dot). To get an idea of how this guitar sounds like, head to www.eastwoodguitars.com where you can hear sound samples of it through different amps. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered this guitar directly from the Eastwood factory, which I don't normally do, as I prefer a more "broken-in" guitar than one straight out of the box. But to my absolute shock, as soon as I reached into the box and pulled it out, and strummed a chord, the guitar was actually in tune. Despite travelling from Ontario Canada, all the way to New Jersey, the neck was perfectly straight, the action of the strings were just right, and not a scratch on it. Needless to say, I was amazed. Just two days after receiving it, I debuted it at my band's show at the Sin-e' rock club in NYC, and it stole the show, and kept it's tune better than any guitar I've previously played. My only (minor) complaint: I had originally asked for a seafoam green finish, and they informed me that they were out of stock on that color for the next few weeks, so I bought red instead. That's it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After gigging all throughout the month of January, as well as long recording sessions, this thing has held up remarkably well, even after being dropped more than a few times, and even surviving a particularily nasty encounter with a bottle of Corona that was spilled on it during rehearsal. Since purchasing it, I have made it my permanant Live guitar, effectively retiring my Danelectro, my Rickenbacker, and my Epiphone Dot. I was particularily impressed with the strap buttons, as this is the first time ever that I bought a guitar and didn't need to replace them for being shitty. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock, punk, and blues, but dabble in just about everything else. And despite Jack White being the only famous musician playing one of these guitars, more people need to pick this one up. I've been playing for the better part of a decade and this is the best axe I've ever played, and I own over a dozen guitars, ranging from Rickenbackers and Vintage Fenders to Danelectros and Epiphones. I'd be heartbroken if something were to happen to this Airline, and I would buy another one in the blink of a heartbeat. Hell, I'm already looking at buying another one of Eastwood's remakes of classic guitars (especially the Brian May "Red Special"). Buy this guitar. Metal, blues, punk, rock, it works with all of them. You certainly won't regret it. // 10

Airline 2P DLX Reviewed by: The_1_Renegade, on october 03, 2008

Price paid: C$ 899.99

Purchased from: Boogaloo

Features: This guitar is a remake of the 1960's Valco airline. I have a red 2P DLX last year, though I wanted a 3P but it's not available in left-handed. It has a tone Chambered Mahogany body with a bound Maple bolt-on neck with a rosewood fretboard with block markers, which looks Amazing. It has Two Alnico Hot-10 Humbuckers, though you can buy remakes of the original humbucker looking single-coils. It's bridge is a custom chrome tune-o-matic.Other than it's custom tail piece it has a raised airline logo which lets you know, this is going to be good. // 10

Sound: This guitar will suite anyone's needs, from blues to metal and punk, hard rock, soft rock to, I could go on forever. This guitar was made to impress even the most fickle guitar players. I use a Visual Sound Workhorse tube amp, and it can change from a holy clean rhythm/blues, to a heavy hard rock/metal sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this from boogaloo, I had to wait for a lefty model to arrive. but straight out of the box it was set up nearly perfect. Most guitars need work before I can really play the thing, but this was a quick raise of the bridge, and I was good to go.the pickups were set up perfectly. There a no flaws in this guitar that are worth mentioning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a strongly built guitar.The Body is solid and so is the finish. This guitar doesn't burn out or fade away it just lasts. I've had this guitar for about a year and a halve and not one single problem with even the strap buttons, which are usually the first to be fixed or replaced. I gig with this and gig with out a back up because I trust this guitar with my life, okay maybe not my life but with my music, I have had many guitars and this is the only one I really trust with my music. Most of the time I go out there and hope for the best but with the airline by my side I don't worry. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the most versatile guitar I have ever played.I play everything so it is and alwas will be my best friend. Add a tube amp to this awesome guitar and there is a sound you just can't beat.If it was lost/stolen I would cry, then go out and get a new one. My favorite features on this guitar are the shape of the body and the great deal this guitar was.I compared it to the Gibson, the Fender, the Ibanez, but there is no guitar like the airline. This guitar can hold it's own with all the great guitars like the Strat the tele and the SG. This guitar is made extremely well and every time I play it I thank eastwood for bringing back such a kooky guitar and giving it a kick-ass new sound. Eastwood guitars I get it! // 10

Airline 2P DLX Reviewed by: Payne86, on july 07, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is a 2008 Airline 2P DLX guitar. I got it in Sahara Blue and it looks amazing. Rosewood Fretboard with pearloid inlays, 2 frets. Chambered mahogany body with a gorgeous finish. It has a master volume knob, and independent volume and tone knobs above each pickup, as well as a 3-way pickup selector Switch. I have the Vintage Voiced single coil (VVSC) pickups installed. Awesome Vintage-style tuners. The only issue one might have is that if you tend to rest your hand against the body a lot, you may accidentally roll the volume or tone switches becaue of their positions at the top of the guitar. // 9

Sound: Although the guitar's looks are worth buying it alone, the sound is what makes you never want to put it down. The VVSC pickups are amazing. They do hum quite a bit, but when played, they have such a killer raw sound that provides just the right amount of feedback to get that great british tone. Through the neck pickup, you can get anywhere from smooth jazz tones to more gritty grunge-sounding tones. The bridge pickup gives you a great bright single-coil sound which breaks up very nicely under the right distortion or overdrive. I play anything from Indie rock, shoegazing, to even more bluesy or jazz style guitar, and this guitar fit's the bill for any of those styles. Not the best metal guitar, but if you are looking at this guitar you probably don't play that much metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up was near perfect. I bought it from an ebay store, so I am unsure as to how much they set it up before hand. I had to make a minor bridge adjustment and then everything was fine. Now flaws to speak of, although the master volume control came a little loose. Easy fix. The action is nice and low, but not too low. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar every day for the past 6 months, as well as gigged with it. I would gladly take it as my only guitar if it were not for all of the alternate tunings I use. Very durable, I've banged it against numerous things and dropped it once or twice without as much as a scratch. Overall, a very durable guitar // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for almost any style of music. I play it through an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 with a Vox 4X12 cab, and it sounds absolutely amazing. Put this in front of a big muff and get a great heavy british rock sound or play it clean through the neck pickup and get smooth jazz sounds. Overall, this is my always go-to guitar for everything. // 10

Airline 2P DLX Reviewed by: FolkertG, on july 20, 2009

Purchased from: MyRareGuitars.com

Features: This guitar is a white remake of the JB Hutto Montgomery Airline guitars, made in 1958 - 1968. It features 20 frets, on a 25 1/2" (648mm) neck. (nut-width: 1 11/16"). The body is made out of Tone Chambered Mahogany and the bolt-on neck out of Bound Maple. There is a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a Custom Chrome Tailpiece. It has two Alnico Hot-10 Humbuckers, controlled by 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 1 master volume knob and a 3-way Switch. The hardware is Vintage Kluson Style Nickel/Chrome and it features D'Addario #10 strings. You could buy a case, but it will cost you an extra $100. // 9

Sound: I play this guitar through a London City Hornet 50 and mostly a EH Big Muff and Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95. Occasionally I also use a DigiTech Whammy IV. I mostly play garage, grunge and alternative rock and this set-up is just about perfect. The sound is bright and cheap and that is just what I wanted. The guitar is also useful for a bit of rockabilly and when you use the neck pick-up it's ok for surf, though I barely play these. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered the guitar, because I live in Europe and even after the whole journey, the set-up was nearly perfect. It barely even needed tuning! I raised the bridge pick-up quite a bit for some more sustain and a permanently, though slightly, distorted sound. I lowered the neck pick-up, because I hardly use it and this way, it will not get in the way while playing. I bought a demo guitar to save $240. It was this much cheaper because of a minor paint damage near the neck joint, which I did not notice up until three months later. However, one of the tuning mechanisms is a bit loose and it vibrated while playing, making an annoying sound. (But nothing a bit of duct-tape couldn't handle) // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not used the guitar Live yet, but I am sure it will Live through it. The hardware will last (especially the solid strap butons) and the white finish will defintely last! It is very dependable, so using it without back-up will not be a problem. But as I said, I have not used it Live yet, so this is based on it's performance at home. // 10

Overall Impression: The Music I play is of The White Stripes, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana. Obviously it is perfect for TWS, since it is Jack White's signature guitar, but even for RHCP it works quite well (though not really on the sensitive songs like Under the Bridge). Besides this guitar, I own a Fender Stratocaster and a dreadnought-Acoustic from Washburn, but the Airline is definitely my favourite! If it would somehow die, I would hang it to the wall in my room and by the Metallic Margarit limited edition. I adore the looks and the sound of the guitar and I really like the way it plays. I actually did not compare it to any other guitar, before buying, since I knew the sound of TWS. The only minor complaints are that I wished it had a bit more sustain and the neck would be less heavy in comparison to the rest of the body. // 9

More Eastwood reviews rating category latest review
+ Airline 3P DLX 8.4 Electric Guitars 09/20/2012