Eastwood GP Review

9.2
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Eastwood GP Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2007

Purchased from: My Rare Guitars

Features: It is modelled after the Ovation Ultra GP, just with an Eastwood headstock and a different heel. The body resembles a Les Paul but with double cutaway. I bought it in cherryburst. It is a really beautiful guitar with a very nice carved flamed maple top. But it's a simple guitar, just the way it should be. // 7

Sound: I play mostly in C Standard to get that deep growl, like Joshua Homme had in Kyuss and it nails it perfectly! The neck pickup is quite hot and really cuts through the mix, although sometimes it can get a little muddy but I've only experienced that on this little crappy practice amp in my bedroom. The bridge pickup is also very hot and trebly. With a little fuzz or overdrive on, you can get the No One Knows main-riff sound spot on. I am running it through a Carl Martin The Fuzz into a Boss ME-50 (I mostly use the flanger, tremolo, delay and the wah, although the wah isn't the best), and then into either, I think it is a Marshall JCM2000 tubeamp, not shure, or into an old Hartke bass amp (wich actually sounds better than the Marshall - really mighty rumbling low end, plenty of mids and cuts very nice). I usually turn a little of the amp gain up and also a little gain up on the C.M. The Fuzz. with the right settings, it creates a gargantuan monster of volume. But the thing about the GP is that it makes it's very own sound out these settings. On other guitars I've tried this on, they usually get overflown with distortion from the pedal. With the GP, a lot of small nuances can be heard even though there are high gain settings on. Plus, the pickups are quite noiseless. Clean tones is also of very high quality. The two tone controls blends very nicely into each other when adjusting them. You can get good bluesy tones from it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it and pulled it out from the box it looked really nice and really smooth. Though there were some small problems, like the controle knobs were a little loose (wich I then just glued on) and the bridge pickup was looking a little bit weird (it wasn't glued into the pickup cover, but I fixed that by putting someting under it so that it was raised a little bit), it wasn't something that ruined my day. Other than those things, everything was looking lige it should be. I adjusted the pickup height and stuff like that, although the height was good enough before that. The action is quite low just as it should be. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I am shure that it will withstand a lot of abuse although dropping it on the neck might not be something that it will survive. But why should I do that? It is a very heavy guitar, feels like it's made of solid led. The body is really thick and looks like it could take a large number of hits. I used a pair of coins for strap locks just to be shure that I wasn't going to drop it one day, but the strap buttons were good enough before that. The finish seems to last. Nice, but it would have looked cool if the finish would wear a little off. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this guitar. I play in a very jam focused band, and this one suits my style perfectly. It is also nice to know that I'm not standing with a Gibson or Fender or whatever, but something a little more unknown. I can't remember how many years I've played, but enough to know what I'm doing. My first electric was a B.C. Rich Warlock who, I'm sure is the most gay ass black metal guitar ever! I've also had a Samick SG, some kind of cheap copy of a Les Paul, and I borrowed my friends Ibanez AX for some time. I have no actual amp other than a little practiceamp, but I'm using everything I am allowed to at concerts and rehersals. I got it few days ago but I already love it. I am actually thinking about getting another one for backup. I've tried way more expencive guitars but this thing actually sounds better than some 2000$ Les Pauls. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't have the same slick heel that the original Ovation GP had. But the heel on this is nice as it is. I think is was a really good choise, and I'm glad I bought it! // 10

More Eastwood reviews rating category latest review
+ Airline 3P DLX 8.4 Electric Guitars 09/20/2012