Blaster E6 Review

3.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Blaster E6 Reviewed by: "Tez", on october 25, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

Features: My Encore is a 2007 model, since I bought it at christmas 2007. It is your typical Stratocaster copy, made in China. These are the specs. -Wutong Body -Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets with overhang -5 way selector switch -Two tone pots, one master volume, probably 250k -3 GuitarTech single coil pickups -Unbranded tuners -Unbranded Vintage style tremolo Since this guitar was in a pack, it also came with a strap, a spare set of Encore 9's, a 15watt BB Blaster amp & probably some sort of guitar teaching dvd. It was supposed to come with some guitar picks, but there were never there. Shame... // 6

Sound: My style is hard rock & metal, & suprizingly this guitar suits it quite well. The sound of the pickups is what you would probably expect from a Stratocaster, bright & a little quacky, especially from the bridge pickup. I play in a band & we play alot of our own material, so I don't play many covers, though what I do play is usually alot of Queens of the Stone Age, some CKY, Rob Zombie & Nine Inch Nails. My setups consists of a Boss OC-3 Super Octave -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone -> Belcat Overdrive -> Behringer Chorus CD 400 -> Behringer EQ 700, all mounted on a Behringer PB 1000 Pedal board, usually going into a Marshall MG102FX (& no, I don't like it either, it's a friends, it's loud so I'll take it). I find this guitar very versatile in both clean & distorted tones. On clean, I only really use the bridge & neck pickup together (I swapped out the middle & neck pickup, personall preference). The sound is very full but still bright, the fullness coming from the neck pickup. It sounds good on its own & even better with a dash of chorus & some EQ tweaking. Stomping on the MT-2, I get a generic metal tone with the extra brightness from the single coils. They're fairly quiet on their own, no real 60cycle hum, & when there's the reverse wound pickup on aswell it's noiseless. With the Belcat you can get the slightly driven cleans to the thick punk overdrive & anything inbetween. I'm yet to find a genre this guitar doesn't do well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the action was a little high from my liking, so over the 3 years I've owned it I've adjusted the saddles, places neck shims & recently sanded a couple of frets to get it exactly how I like. There's still a small ammount of fret buzz, but it's nothing big. I've messed with the pickup height simply cause I could & I wanted to experiment, but they were fine to begin with. The finish is a glossy black & there's was nothing wrong with it, didn't see any blemishes or transit damage. Everything was fitted fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I play this guitar live & have done for the past 6 months & it's done nothing but work flawlessly everytime. The hardware has no issues yet, the tuners stay in tune, even with some vibrato from the bridge, but I have done some big dive bombs & had to retune, every time, so I don't do huge ammounts of whammy. I am still using the original strap pins, however both fell out of the body in the first year, so I've used the toothpick trick to keep them in. The durability of the finish was ok, nothing special. I've dropped it on the road once because the crap gig bag that came with the guitar broke, the zip was on the bottom of the bag & that failed, so the guitar fell right through & onto the pavement. Now there's some nice dents & missing pieces of finish on the bottom exposing the Wutong body. I don't really care about that though, since soon I will be sanding the body down & repainting it. Mechanically however, this guitar is yet to fail me & I doubt it ever will. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe if this guitar had a decent humbucker in the bridge this guitar would be pretty much perfect for what I play, & through the three years I've been playing guitar I've chose this guitar to play in my band over my other guitar, an Epiphone Custom Prophecy, complete with EMG's because of the "souless" sound I find it has because of the active electronics. It's not a bad guitar, it's great & I will soon have a use for it since it reacts better with more effects but it doesn't really do cleans well at all. If it was stolen, I'd probably cry at little since it is my baby, then get my Epiphone & detune that to use for a while till I get some cash for a replacement. My only wish is that the gear it came with was of similar Standard to the guitar, the amp was horrible & died around a year ago, the lead & strap lasted a month, the strap at one of the points eroded away soo fast that at the end of the month, the guitar was being held by the thread that goes around the strap point. It was that bad. Thankfully, the guitar isn't & I will continue to use it & I would reccommend at least trying out an E6 if you want to enter the wonderful world of guitaring. // 8

Blaster E6 Reviewed by: AcousticMetal99, on june 08, 2011

Features: I don't know much about where it was made, or in what year - I'm presuming Mexico or China/Korea, as it's no great shakes. This was my first guitar though - deep maroon red with a pearloid scratch plate. It features 22 frets - medium to jumbo I believe, on a rosewood fingerboard. I have no idea personally what the body is made of, but a friend suggested knockwood - it is certainly light; however this can be a benefit as it fells like nothing even after a long time playing, and if you are going to carry it for any distance, it's a blessing (I once carried it almost 2 miles in the snow to a friend's house to practice). The body is the ol' Strat variety, and the lower cutaway does provide easy access to the higher frets. The Bridge is a tune-o-matic, which I've adjusted a few times - I had to do this as when I bought it from the shop, the action was quite high, and the intonation was out. I presume that is factory set-up, not the shop. On the upside, at least it's taught me quite a lot about how the guitar works. I've currently lowered the Bridge almost fully to the bottom, as I'm not a big fan of dive-bombing, I prefer tuning stability. In terms of tuning stability, it settled after a few weeks to a couple of months, and is now reasonable, although it goes out fairly easily if you do whammy a lot. The electronics are passive, and fairly poor stock pickups. They are 3 single coils - SSS, conforming to Strat design. There are 2 tone controls (which make a surprising difference considering the price) and a volume control, with a 5-way selector Switch for the pickups. Note - on my guitar the final position (ie, solely the Bridge pickup) has no output - I presume there is a problem with the electronics. However, I have seen this very same problem on 1 or 2 Yamaha Pacificas I've played. The tuners are non-lcoking, non-branded, but are okay I suppose. They are die-cast chrome, and work much better once I tightened them up a little. From where I bought it, the guitar came bundled at an additional price, with a thin soft case/gig bag, a Fender strap, a 2m cable, and allen keys. // 7

Sound: I play anything from melodic metal, to folk, to jazz, and it fits them all reasonably - jack of all trades and all that. With distortion, it can sound quite powerful and cut through a mix with a little twiddling. Neck coil is ideal for metal solos. Neck/middle coils together ideal for jazzy soungs or perhaps a softer solo. Middle coil - nice rhythm guitar. Middle/bridge coils - metal, rhythm primarily. I think it could cover most bases of music without too many issues, but isn't exactly going to be a storm at all gigs - for a start humbuckers are better for metal. I play through a 25W amp and/or a Boss ME25 effects pedal, and it sounds okay throughh both - I've done a couple of recordings and they are of acceptable standard. I think the sound could be counted a quite bright, but the pickups are certainly very noisy if you leave up the volume when not playing, otherwise there isnt too much interference. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too high - I've lowered it a couple of times, and now have it where I want it. Not so good form factory/shop though. I honestly can't remember how the high the pickups were when I got it - I've adjusted them a few times. The Bridge is I think properly routed, but some of the electronic are out (as mentioned previously), although probably not too hard to fix if you know what you are doing. There are no flaws - everything is trim and fits perfectly, there is no cracking or warping, or even finish flaws. In terms of the finish, it's very good actually - it's had many bangs, yet hasn't chipped or even cracked yet, so I'm very pleased. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I doubt the guitar would be suitable for touring - it'd probably warp or keep going out of tune with hard playing or lots of changing tunings, but I'd say it could withstand live gigging. I would always take a back-up, and this is definitely no exception. The finish is good, it's comfortable and light, the cutaways are comfortable. The strap buttons seem fairly solid, but pros might prefer strap-locks. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, please note I've rated the guitar based on what I've paid for it, and my expectations. I'm not trying to say it's anywhere near as good as Gibsons or ESPs, but for the price range it's a fair buy, ideal for a beginner, or perhaps a more advanced player who justs wants something to try out ideas on or perhaps try soldering/tinkering around with. I like the features and variety of it, but I know it's outclassed in the wider spectrum. It it wer lost or stolen, I'd probably instead buy a better guitar second-hand. Giving it an 8 for what it has/does and price! // 8

More Encore reviews rating category latest review
+ PK40 6.8 Bass Guitars 07/12/2012