E1BTR Review

manufacturer: Encore date: 04/16/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Encore: E1BTR
The guitar has a single humbucker-type pickup, one tone & one volume knob.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 4.4
 Features: 6.4
 5.2
 5.2
 5.1
reviews (5) 9 comments vote for this gear:
E1BTR Reviewed by: AdzyD, on december 20, 2005

Features: 22 frets, comfortable maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 3/4 Size composite body - matt black finish, traditional tremolo bridge, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, 1 double coil humbucker pickup, came with, a 10watt portable battery powered amp, 2 plectrums, a guitar strap, short lead and a pitch pipe. I think you will agree that for the price that is very good. // 10

Sound: I'm basically brand new to the guitar and I didn't want to spend big money on my first in case it wasn't for the thing for me. I came across the E1BTR on eBay and just couldn't resist. You can't really get a range of noises out of it, but that was expected, the amp gives a pretty dirty sound if turned up over mid volume, but it also features a overdrive function so it is possible to create a quite primitive distorted sound with the OD function and full volume. I've been playing quite a range of songs on it as I've been learning over the past month, mainly System Of A Down, Audioslave and Metallica and it's held up quite well, but I've also tried punk, classic rock and even some acoustic songs on it and it serves me well when playing all of these. You've got to really understand that you can't sound like Hendrix for just over 50. There's not really much chance of finding any sustain at all here and very little sound can be made with anything past the 17th fret, but again that's pretty much expected. Once again in comparison with price, I'm very satisfied with what I got. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything seemed perfect, had no trouble with the hardware, everything is working and the finish is flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm quite confident that this guitar would survive live playing although I personally would never play it live. The hardware would certainly last and the strap buttons are well fixed but I would recommend locks for a live performance. I would not use this guitar without a backup though because for such a small price, who knows what could go wrong. It is however a very good backup guitar itself as I'm sure it would get the job done. // 10

Overall Impression: I think for the price this is unrivaled and is perfect for any first time guitarists and anybody looking for a light portable guitar. The only thing I wish it had is some single coils so that I could get some different sounds. But you cant have everything for this price. Overall I think it is worth the price and a very satisfactory product. If it was stolen I would not get another because there is only one way to go from here and that is up. // 10

E1BTR Reviewed by: Purple Daze, on june 19, 2006

Features: Came with a black pick, small Encore amplifier, connection lead, tremolo bar and maintenance tools. 22 frets, Stratocaster style body, 6 string. // 10

Sound: When it's not connected to an amplifier, this guitar can give off a crisp acoustic sound. However, unfortunately, attaching it to the included amplifier distorted the sound no matter what setting I switched it onto. But then my mum's friend showed me how to set up the sound and the result was a decent sound as long as it's played properly. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had this guitar for just over a year of constant playing, and until recently, there have been no problems with it. But just recently there have been small hiccups with the structure, which could possible just be because of me. But the strap connector parts are coming loose and need to be screwed back in every now and then, and one of the screws holding down the jack socket has threaded through the body and is hanging off. Apart from that, there is no affect on playing due to any problems I have experienced. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would possibly take this guitar up for a live set, however, I would make sure to have a backup guitar close to hand. The strap buttons, as I mentioned before, are slowly becoming loose, but as of yet I have had no problem by dropping this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: As a first guitar, this guitar was great for me, a great price and all you need to get started is included. I recieved it just over a year ago for my birthday and I fell in love with it. However, having now played it for that long, and moving up from the rank of a beginner, I am now considering buying another guitar, but I will keep this one, as it is decent, lightweight and easy to carry around. I would recommend it as a first guitar for anyone just learning to play, at this price, it's also a very good deal. // 10

E1BTR Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2006

Purchased from: Argos Catalogue

Features: To be honest I don't know when this guitar was made, but I do know it was made in China (the label fell of pretty quick), it was a guitar that my girlfriends little sister purchased in a guitar pack, and it's arguably the worst guitar I have ever set eyes on. it's got a bolt on neck, with 21 thin frets (this is a 7/8 size guitar by the way), the frets aren't finished either, so be careful you don't shred your fingers on them, Vintage style bridge with tremolo, the body is composite, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, the body type is a sort of stratty shape, with passive (definitely passive) pickups (when I say pickups I mean one rubbish humbucker), chrome tuning keys that came loose, only two controls, volume and tone (point please), this came with all the normal beginner stuff, and I think it was a 1 watt travel amp. // 3

Sound: Wouldnt suit any style as far as I'm concerned, I can play a wide range of sounds from shredding, metal to blues and maybe even slightly jazzy. The amp that came with it is awful, and you get an awful interfered sound on clean channel, and I suppose a quite gutsy overdrive if you whack the gain up to 10, but really I wouldn't recommend any clean playing with it at all. Guitar makes one sound, crunch. Believe me I tried to get something clean, never happened. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Was the guitar set up at the factory? This is a beginner guitar, and to be honest, you'd need a brain experienced with guitars to set this up when you got it home. I'll leave out the pickup, I think they just shoved into the body and left it. And now my real complaint: the action was too high, the strings and frets shredded your fingers, the tremolo was way too stiff, there was string buzz on nearly every string, you couldn't play chords with it, You couldnt shred with it, You could barely fret a note, The tuning keys were loose, It wouldn't stay in tune, it's just too bad for words. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wouldn't withstand a practice in your room, let alone a live session. The hardware was falling apart when I got it, and the bottom strap button has fallen off. Yes you can depend on it to be an ornament, but I'd still keep an eye on it then. The finish needs constant cleaning so I wouldn't be surprised if it came off in the first week. // 2

Overall Impression: I play a generally metal/blues style, the crunch is ok I suppose but it's still not a good enough match for me. I've been playing for nearly 3 (maybe 4, can't remember) years and I have a guitar pack you can actually rely on, Strat Frontman pack, also bought a Zoom G2.1u effects pedal, which rules. As it wasn't my guitar, I can't really comment on asking anyone else, but I really wish theyd asked me before wasting 70 quid. If it were be stolen I'd hold a party to celebrate. I don't love anything about that guitar, and hate everything about it. My favourite feature is probably the neck, because if you sanded the frets and gave the fingerboard a proper finish it could go on a better junior guitar, but it would be cheaper to just buy a fingerboard on it's own. I compare it to my own Strat (another pack) and the Encore doesnt't deserve to be on the same planet as the Strat. I wish the Encore had been put together properly, then it might have made a half decent beginner guitar. // 1

E1BTR Reviewed by: daiRex50, on january 03, 2006

Features: Came with the bare basics. 10 watt amp, lead, gig bag. 22 frets and a whammy bar. Stratocastor style just pointier and more uncomartable. The single/humbucker pickup imbedded in pastic! Heavy guitar! // 6

Sound: Good for about 2 months! After that the guitar went downhill. The electronics are rubbish and the sound can't be described as bright or full because the buzzing in the background is stupidly loud! Hopeing it was the hopeless amps fault, I seeked a friend with a 20 amp and yet again the buzzing continued. Crap amp and guitar! It vibrated so much on the top I had a mind to plug the tuning pegs to the amp to see if I could get a better sound. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was there. Everything was in full working order for a short while. being my first guitar I was impressed with it. I soon realised that this gutar was a terribal choice. The nut was replace within months and I still question what the pickup actually "pickup" on this guitar. The tone and volume knobs also defy the laws of superglue and were never attached but placed on the guitar. // 4

Reliability & Durability: What can I say, the nut on the guitar sank into the nack of the guitar and I had to replace it (can't remeber what one I used) and the strings broke on soo many occasions due to poorly cut nut that I may have payed for the guitar myself! The guitar skraches every half-chance it may get and the color underneath the pitch laminated black is a powered white. Could you make it any more obvious! The guitar regularly brakes when jamming with my friends but in a gig the guitar would probably melt due to the heat off the crowd. No way would I ever use this for a live show (appart from being a utter disgrace to all that is 6 string, it would look nice on fire). // 2

Overall Impression: Not impressed, not content and not recommended. This guitar puts you and other people off the electric guitar genre and it disillusions you with its cheap price. It is a bad buy and as time goes by you will pay for it again! If it got stolen I would be happy to know that whoever may have it now may suffer from a disgracful guitar. If you wish to buy a first guitar for someone I recommend a Squier, and if on a lower budget or buying for a child a Squier Jr. // 2

E1BTR Reviewed by: rd94, on april 16, 2009

Features: The guitar has 21 thin unfinished frets, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The body is in black and is a sort of Strat shape maybe super Strat although is 7/8 size which is full scale with small body making it hard to identify what style it is.The electronics are rubbish, there was no point in them putting a tone knob on it doesnt't do anything! It also has one humbucker which is pretty weak. The guitar also came with a small practice amp, guitar lead and a pick. // 3

Sound: This guitar I think would not suit any it makes 1 sound like someone has passed wind! The amp supplied was weak and small and stopped working in about a month and the cable was pretty useless aswell. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it was not setup well at tall action poor, every strings buzzed apart from high e, the inotation was poor and nut was cut too deep. The finish wasn't bad only a couple of flaws but for an 80 guitar not a bad finish. The tuning pegs werent bad they could hold the tuning for maybe max couple of days light playing. The pickups were at a good height for muting etc. it's a pitty it's one weak humbucker is rubbish. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is probably the only good thing about the guitar it is as tough as old nails I have dropped it constantly and nothing, I think that you could run over this with a bulldozer and nothing would happen! I don't gig but it would survive a gig but I'm not sure if your audience would survive the terrible sound given off by this guitar. I would not gig with this guitar even with a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to metal just what I feel like and it doesnt't suit any style. I have been playing for a couple of months, although got bought this guitar 3 years ago, and I can say this guitar is truely terrible, I don't have an expert ear and tell this guitar is rubbish. If it were stolen or lost I would probably throw a party or celebrate but I don't think it would get stolen because it is worthless. Overall I wish it was a different guitar even a Squier Strat would be better. // 4

More Encore reviews rating category latest review
+ PK40 6.8 Bass Guitars 07/12/2012