1957 Les Paul Junior Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/31/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: 1957 Les Paul Junior
It features a P-100 humbucker for pure rock tone with no humm and noise. Epiphone has re-created the classic set in mahogany neck with dot inlays, chrome hardware, all-solid mahogany body Les Paul Jr. to the same standards that have made it a consistent favourite over the years.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 8.3
reviews (5) 28 comments vote for this gear:
1957 Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: Darren5591, on november 09, 2006

Features: My Les Paul Junior is one of the limited Edition 1957 reissue versions. It was made in february 2006 at the Deawon plant in china. My version has 22 Frets, which are all fantastically finished. The Epiphone les paul's have a varient of 50'-60's neck. The fingerboard on it is made of rosewood with dot style fret markers. The body is flat is a one single piece of Mahogany (tonewood). The neck is also made of Mahogany. The finish is poly coated. The bridge on this guitar is a wraparound, the bridge and the tailstop are as one piece. The simplicity of this guitar is that there are no selector switches to knock while playing, so there is just the tone and volume knobs.There is one pickup in 1957 reissue, it is the Epiphone P-100. The tuners that are used are Grover Rotomatics.I got a poor plastic lead that lasted a couple of sessions then broke. // 9

Sound: This guitar is exactly the right style for me. I play a lot of Green Day so I need that P90 sound. The P-100 can go from very mellow acousic tone to punchy punk tone. I run this guitar through a Vox Valvetronix but I have played on a Marshall AVT275X and gives pretty much the same tone throughout. There is not as much variety due to the one pickup but you will be suprised. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bang in tune when I got it out the box, and the action was top notch. The pickups were at the correct height and it's unlikly I will be adjusting it. There was no flaws on this guitar but a litle bit of wet pain was smudged on the headstock, this was easily touched out. The knobs were slightly loose when I got it but because I was changing the knobs to Gold speed knobs it was kind of handy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? I'm pretty sure it will, although I've only had it for a month or so and have not gigged with it. It has preformed very reliable at sessions. The hardware (grover rotomatics) should last as they have been reliable on my Les Paul Standard. The strap buttons were replaced with straplocks but were solid when I got it out of the box for a jam. I'm pretty sure I could depend on it, but if it fails I use my Les Paul Standard. The finish on this guitar is fairly thick but not too thick as if you can't see the finish underneath. The finish seems to fair well to the few knocks I've gave it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is an exact match to what I needed, I couldn't afford the Gibson alternative so I went for closest replica. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and have a collection of: A Squier Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Yamaha Pacifica, Epiphone Les Paul Junior 1957 reissue and a Squier Precision bass. I own a Vox valvetronix amp which I run my guitars through. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Hell yeah I would deffinatly buy another, but due to limited edition it might be a bit hard to find. What do you love about it? What do you hate? Love everything on it, just a shame it hasn't got Gibson written at the top! I don't hate anything on the guitar but the bridge gets some getting used to. Did you compare it to other products? Yes, a Gibson SG Special in wine red. I chose this over the special because it costs less and if I buy a Gibson SG it will be a standard. I will highly recommend this guitar to someone Who has always wanted a Les Paul Junior but Who can't afford the hefty price tag for a Gibson. // 9

1957 Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: lagooner33, on february 19, 2007

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Junior 1957 re-issue is as close a copy as you can get from the original. Made in China (as most Epiphones are) the guitar is easily playable from the box, although more mature players might prefer a custom setup. The single cutaway tobacco-sunburst finish is pure retro '50s styling, with a dog-eared P-100 pickup at the bridge. As expected only volume and tone controls are featured with a wraparound tailpiece, and Grover tuners AS Standard! // 8

Sound: Playing punk is a breeze, the look screams Green Day, and it's easily replicated thanks to the chunky P-100 single coil at the bridge. Beware, with a few turns of the tone control and this guitar spills out blues as though it were crafted by BB King himself. The sustain is incredible for such a low-price guitar and with a decent enough overdrive stomp-box this guitar can bring the house down on a minimal setting. Heavier strings make for a dirty, heavy, rock sound, while a set of 0.09s turn it into a tonal beauty. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up is fine for a beginner, and even for most accomplished players too. For a better punk sound, Switch to a set of 0.12s at least (from the standar 0.10 strings) and adjust the bridge slightly for better sound from the P-100. I can't help thinking a Seymour Duncan Vintage dog-eared single coil would sound better, but at this price, it's unbeatable anyway. The finish looks a bit cheap for my liking, but the neck is extremely fast and playable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I tried it out for a few impromptu Green Day covers Live and it takes a hell of a beating. I couldn't even be bothered switchin to a Gibson LP for a Led Zep cover and it did the job with ease. I'd recommend it as a welcome addition to any guitar line-up, in fact, there's no need for it as a backup, just a change of style on certain songs. It'll easily take a hammering. Easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of covers, and Green Day is always a crowd pleaser, so obviously it's a perfect instrument for all those popular American Idiot covers. It's probably worth using the money you've saved from buying the Gibson version and investing in a better pick-up and a heavier set of strings. This thing eats up overdrive like there's no tomorrow, so a decent pedal/amp is a must to get that perfect sound. It looks a bit cheap to be honest, but available at under 250 it is, and if it was stolen, it'd be replaced immediately by the same. If you're after the Billie Joe signature without the Billie Joe cash, then grab it. You'll love it. // 10

1957 Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: TehLukeh, on december 15, 2007

Features: This is an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 1957 Reissue. It was made in China in 2007 and checked by Epiphone USA technicians before being sold. The fretboard is made of Rosewood and has 22 frets. It's a little hard to get to the 18-22nd frets, but the rest of the fretboard is accessible. The body is a single cut of maple and looks absolutely amazing. I bought the TV Yellow color and I just love the look. Too many Les Pauls are black or some sort of sunburst, a TV Yellow really sticks out. The pickguard is black and matches great with the body. My only problem with the pickguard is the sticker they put on it. When I took it off it took some of the lamination off. Les Paul Jr's come with one pickup for a simple tone. The single P-100 sounds good, but I'd like to replace it with a livelier sounding P-90. If you're just messing around, the P-100 is fine but if you're recording or playing some shows go for a P-90. The tone on the P-100 is just a bit weak. I just wish the pickup was a little closer to the strings. You get one volume knob, one tone knob, and no switches. The guitar has a classic style Tune-O-Matic bridge. I've never used one before, but I really like it compared to non-locking bridge. The Grover tuners hold the tune very well. I only have to tune every three or four days and I play several hours a day. // 8

Sound: The sound fits my music style perfectly. I play in a punk rock band and with a lot of distortion and the tone up high it's great. Also, if you turn the distortion and the tone down low, around 2 or 3, you get a great blues tone. I play a bit of blues and I love this guitar for it. With a Les Paul Jr. you don't get much variety tone-wise though. You've only got one pup so don't expect much variety. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had this guitar for a month and haven't noticed any real problems with it. As I said before I wish the P-100 was a little closer to the strings, but other than that it was well set up. I replaced the stock strings with a set of Ernie Ball's Un-evens. I had heard that bigger strings made the guitar sound better, but I haven't noticed anything. I'm going to replace the strings with some .10's when I go back to the music store. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play with this thing Live at church on Sundays and at the shows. It so far has served me well and I expect it will for quite a while. The P-100 seems sturdy, but I'm going to replace it soon either way. If anything on the guitar could use some work it's the tuners. They're a little cheap and I don't expect them to last more than three or four months. The buttons are metal and don't seem all that bad. I don't trust any strap buttons, though, so I use strap locks when I'm playing. The finish on the body is great and will last for years. I'm going to have to replace the pick guard because the little hole in the laminate really bothers me. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar. It was a steal for the cost ($250 with free shipping) and it fits my style perfectly. I've been playing for 11 months and I plan on using this guitar every time I play punk. It sounds really good with a Boss DS-1 or a Boss '59 Bassman emulation pedal. I've used it with my friend's Boss '65 Reverb emulation pedal before and it sounded even better with it. If this guitar was stolen I might not be able to buy another new. I think it just recently went off the shelves, it was only a limited edition. If I was able to find another one in good shape I would buy it, but I'd probably go for a Gibson Melody Maker or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard if this was gone. I love the simplicity of this guitar and how great it sounds when I'm playing punk and blues. I really dislike it's sound for metal and when I'm playing in the jazz band it could sound better. I compared it to the Gibson Melody Maker and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard before buying it. I decided to go with this one because it was a better value for the price and I love the simplicity. I just wish it had come with a classic P-90 instead of the P-100. Something really emulating the sound of the late '50s P-90. // 9

1957 Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: 57tvjr, on march 31, 2011

Purchased from: Rock'n'Rhythm Tenn.

Features: Super cool double cutaway, TV yellow, black P90, black controls, black two-ply pickguard. Made in Korea 1998. I had to pay up front and then wait 6 months to get the advertised "available" color. Laminated alder body, bolt-on mahogany neck, super snug neck pocket. Tone & volume knobs, wrap-around compensated steel bridge, cheap epi tuners though.. wide-shallow C shaped neck, unbound rosewood fingerboard with meth med-jumbo frets. 'bout as simple as it gets. // 8

Sound: I usually play roots blues, old and new school rock, trip rock and a bit of swing and folk. Surprising how many sounds are available through my Tech 21 TM60(s) and my old Crate Vintage 30. Lots of sparkle and jangly stuff or turn up the volume with the tone about 90% and scorch the paint off the walls. Some 'buckers will turn green. Little bit of noise but dang, it's an old style single coil, folks. Nice super funky scream and moan when you want it - and the body tight-neck combo give it really decent sustain! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to tweak the neck, file the fret ends, replace the cheap tuners (with Grovers, of course - for the right look), and adjust the Bridge - but this turned out to be a Killer instrument. Simple, rugged volume and tone pots hooked to a surprisingly sweet & gnarly P90. The semi translucent finish is rock hard and well applied. The neck had the same - too slick for me, but a bit of rubbing with a medium steel wool gave it the grip I like. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This has seen a lot of action in ten or twelve years - shows the Standard road wear but fit/finish/action have been solid. Never had strap button problems some mentioned - mine came fitted with oversize buttons. I have before and would again, use it without a back up. Nothing to break - too simple! // 10

Overall Impression: No, it's not a set neck $9000.00 Gibson. Crap,that's all I've paid for all my guitars combined. It is a pretty cheap guitar but I get Good offers for it all the time must be that TV yellow thang. I'd be mad as hell if someone ripped this off or the airlines lost it. It's kind of like a good old pair of jeans or boots. I ain't sellin'! // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014