1965 G-400 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/04/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: 1965 G-400
The "1965" G-400 with Maestro Tremolo harkens back to the first wave of SG-style guitars with an original-style Maestro tremolo, complete with pearloid tip.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.9
reviews (6) 12 comments vote for this gear:
1965 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: This limted edition G-400 is top knoch. It is almost a exact remake of the Gibson Custom SG. It includes: 22 frets, two '57 humbuckers, two volume and tone controls, sleek neck, and a limited cherry finish. // 9

Sound: This SG was built for rock. You can play almost any AC/DC lick. This SG can steam through heavy metal to playing smouth soft rock. I personlly play lots of Nirvana, but I have to use an Grunge pedal to give it that extra grunge. I think this guitar is smoking compared to my Ibanez and my Strat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall, all the factory settings are pretty good. Although I had to replace the 10 gauge strings with some 9s. The neck pickup is very bassy. It holds up really good rhythm. The bridge pickup is hot! It can really scream, with the proper amp (I suggest a Marshall). When I first recived this SG no flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I've used it in two gigs since I've had it, it did fine. It holds tune pretty well, but after awhile the lower strings begin to lose it. The finish is very durable I geuss. I have had no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this is a very fine SG for playing or if you are a collecter. I've been playing for almost 5 years and this is one of my favorites. I have an Ibanez, Fender acoustic, and a Fender Strat. The only rival would be the Strat. The only thing I would change is the pickgaurd is only half size. // 10

1965 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2006

Features: This guitar was a limited edition custom shop from Korea made in late 2005. It has 22 frets on the rosewood fretboard. The body and neck are mahogany, and it has a set neck, which I like. The only color it came in was cherry. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is nice instead of the string-thru body on my Strat. The pickups on it are Alnico classics which are decent but I'm looking to upgrade them to Gibson's in a year or two. The chrome Grover tuners are better than the plastic ones in my opinion. It came with an angled cable in case you only had a straight one. // 10

Sound: This guitar is good for classic rock mostly. My 15 watt Fender amp holds this guitar's potential back. An amp suitable for it would have to be a Marshall. It has smooth tone on rhythm but on treble it has a bit of a bite to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came perfect, better than a Strat. No buzzing is the main thing I'm glad it doesn't have. There were only a couple flaws in the finish. There was a scratch at the 7th fret on the side of the neck where the dot inlay is. There was also a ding under the tremolo which isn't seen unless you are looking at it real close. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in a band and have only been playin for about 4 months. I hope to use it when I join a band and can play it decently. The chrome hardware will last if you take care of it and clean it with some polish every month or two. The finish seems it will last because the ding under the tremolo didn't penetrate the finish. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is good because I mostly play AC/DC, but green day sounds decent on it too. I really shouldn't have a guitar this good yet because I can't play very good yet. I've only been playing for 4 months but whatever. This guitar is perfect for me. Since it is longer than most guitars it suits my long stick arms perfectly. the wider neck is good for my twig fingers too. There is only one thing I wish it had and that is neck binding. No Epiphone SG's have neck binding except for the Vintage G-400. If you want an SG but don't have enough money for and american Gibson model, go with a Korean made Gibson, Epiphone. // 9

1965 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2006

Purchased from: thomann

Sound: I play own music to all kinds of rock music. It sounds good at the most genres, especially AC/DC but you can use it also for heavy metal and clean the-shadows-like music. It sounds just good although the 20th frets or so are rather difficult to play and some times you hear a little buzzing. I use is through a 75 spider II and a Ben Harley 20w and it sounds good. It is only noisy on the insane settings with the noise gate turned off. For the moment I'm playing santana songs and it sounds the way it has to. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing is that when you use the tremolo the guitar gets out of tune, sometimes quite fast sometimes after an hour of playing. If its the fault off the thickness of my strings or is it just the guitar I don't know but if you know please let me know. Action is fine. Another comment is when you're playing and when a string brakes this guitar's out of tune. It's something you should know. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm using this guitar on gigs and she had never let me down so far. I've got always a backup (Epi Special II), when a string brakes I can play easily on the LP until my SG's tuned again. The finish will hold, I'm using it almost a year now. I haven't got problems with the strap buttons or so. // 10

Overall Impression: It's my favorite guitar, she plays good if you're used to it and that did't took long with me.I love my SG, if she gets stolen or lost i'll buy her again as quick as possible. // 10

1965 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2006

Features: This guitar is a limited edition custom shop Epi. It's the first SG that Epi put a tremolo on. I took the tremolo bar off because I hate how it causes your guitar to go out of tune very quickly. It has the usual 22 frets. it would be nice if it had a 24-fret bound neck. It's pure mahogany wood. It has a glossy cherry paint job that you can see the wood grain through. I really don't like the bridge because the first string will go insanely out of tune and then pop off for no reason when I try to tune it again. It's happened to me 3 times already now. It has the usual Alnico V humbuckers that Epi puts on it's better quality guitars. The chrome Grover kidney bean tuners are easy to tune with and hold tune pretty well. It comes with an angled case if you were wondering, but mine went bad after about 6 months and I had to get another one cause it isn't a good idea to use a straight cable for this guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar is pretty much all around. you can play almost anything. I use a Fender practice amp. I am thinking of buying a Marshall MG100DFX and an MG412 slant cab to go along with it so I'll be able to play gigs with my band when we learn a few songs. Our drummer doesn't have his drums yet so we can't exactly play anything yet. I play lead guitar and my friend who plays rhythm needs to get a new guitar because he has a First Act and a new amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well set up when I took it out of the box. The pickups are in the perfect position. I switched my string to some Slinky Rock N' Roll .09 to .42 gauges and they can be bent more and buzz more than Brite Wires. I had to change the setting to get rid of the buzzing. I recommend that You get these strings because they are easier on the fingers. Brite Wires are just a waste of money. I used them and the 1st string would go out of tune about 3 weeks after I changed the strings and when I went to tune it again it would fly right off. now that I have Slinkys they haven't popped off yet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet with this because I need to either get a backup or use this as a backup. I would really like to upgrade to a Gibson SG Standard or an ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe because it has an Original Floyd Rose and EMGs. Iv'e accidentally hit my G-400 against different things and I didn't notice anything, not even a scratch. The strap buttons are decent. I tried Dunlop straplocks and there were pieces missing or something because it said they can withstand 800 pounds of pull and I could pull the strap off with two fingers. My hardware is a little scratched up but that's just normal wear. // 8

Overall Impression: I play old school rock like AC/DC, some Green Day, Nirvana, and some Metallica. I've been play for about 7 to 8 months. I use Slinky Strings and Fender picks. I just ordered some Ice Pix to try them out, but I don't know what to expect. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would buy something better, especially since you can't buy this guitar anywhere now because it is discontinued. My favorite feature is probably the neck because you can go to the higher frets easily and the neck is smooth. I wish it had binding, better pickups, and a regular bridge. // 10

1965 G-400 Reviewed by: geetarhero, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: music shop

Features: My SG was made in 2006 in korea it has 22 frets rosewood board the body is mahogany it's double waxed with two humbucker pickups two volume controls and two tone controls 3 way pckup selector I got mine with a coffin case and stand. The tuning key are very good guality. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic which is very easy to string. // 10

Sound: I think it sounds great with all types of music but it's the best with AC/DC and The Darkness. I use a Fender 100 watt amp and a Zoom effects pedal and it all sounds awesome. The pickups sound great a nice full sound. And for all those people tryin' to play Eruption by Eddie Van Halen you can do it on this guitar with a few effects added. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it everything was fine but then some things went out of place like the pickups and jack it might just be a one off thing but I'd be careful. But the tremolo bar makes it go out of tune quickly. The pickups can be easily put back in place and you can ajust the bridge fairly easily. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If I was playing a long gig I'd have a backup because when you use the tremolo bar it goes out of tune in an hour or so and if you play real hard you'll probably snap your high e string I haven't had any trouble with the strap buttons the'll hold for years. It should last you for years and years. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play AC/DC and other old rock but it also goes well with country and punk rock. I've been playing for 8 or so months and since I got this guitar I've improved so much compared to playing on my Strat style guitar. If it got stolen I'd go and buy it again as soon as the insurance money came through. I love the look of it in the coffin case the best thing about it is the humbucker pickups they look and sound great. I looked at other SG models even the Gibson ones but none of them compared to this guitar I wouldn't want any other guitar. // 10

1965 G-400 Reviewed by: CreepingDeath13, on august 04, 2010

Purchased from: Music Planet

Features: I bought this guitar in mid 2009. This SG is an Epiphone G-400 1965 with the meastro tremolo and features the "Epiphone Limited Edition Custom Shop" stamp on the back of the headstock. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with a set mahogany neck and solid mahogany body. It also has alnico v humbuckers with seperate volume and gain control for each, 3 way selector switch, grover tuners which hold very well, maestro tremolo which is engraved with Epiphone and a motif of what appears to be harp, Tune-O-Matic bridge and chrome hardware. The Guitar is finished in a transparent cherry red which allows you to see the grain of the mahogany through the paint. The fact that is an SG means that you have full access to the fretboard all the way up to the 22nd fret which makes it really easy to solo up high on the neck. The one minor thing that I would of liked though would have been binding on the neck but this really isn't a big deal. // 9

Sound: I love how this guitar is able to handle all types of music. I play a very wide range of music and it can handle soft rock to heavy metal and thrash, although its great with classic hard rock like AC/DC etc. The rhythm pick-up gives a great thick bassy rhythm tone whilst in the treble position you get a bright clear tone. I'm playing through a Line 6 15w spider III, which I know kind of kills the tone of a guitar, but I regularly play it through a Marshall 100w and it sounds pretty good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is pretty good although I did lower it a bit, but when I did this got fret buzz in a couple of places. I also tightened the truss rod in the neck to straighten it out a bit (although this was after about 8 months of playing). I have had a bit of a problem with the Tune-O-Matic bridge, its a a bit loose and rattly and the saddles move round a bit but I'm looking to replace the bridge. Besides this were no flaws when I bought it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although some have said that because of the tremolo it goes out of tune really easily, I havn't had this problem as mine seems to stay in tune even after hours of playing. The chrome hardware has lasted this far and I intend on it lasting longer as its pretty easy to give it the occasional clean to stop corrosion and keep it looking good. I haven't play any serious live gigs with it but I'm pretty certain it will hold up although I don't think I would play any serious gigs without a back up guitar. I'v put a few small scratches and marks in it but the finish is pretty good as it has a strong layer of lacquer covering it. Besides the Tune-O-Matic bridge, all the other hardware is still holding up excellently. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing since 2007 and its my second electric guitar after a beginners Ashton. I Bought it in mid 2009 and when I first saw this guitar I knew I had to have it. At the time I was really into AC/DC (which I still am) and I bought the guitar partially because of this. I now play heaps of thrash and heavy metal along with the classic rock and AC/DC but it can still handle the heavy stuff, and I still love playing it and wouldn't be able to bring myself to part with it on my own accord. I chose this over other SGs for its uniqueness (as it is the only one I have ever seen in NZ and iv only heard of one other for sale in NZ a few years back) and how awesome the maestro tremolo looks. If it were stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it with vengeance, but failing that I don't really know what I'd get, maybe something with EMGs or something a bit more "thrash metal". // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014