1966 G-400 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 06/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: 1966 G-400
e Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Electric Guitar is a Gibson-authorized version of their great '66 SG with a solid mahogany body and slim-taper set mahogany neck.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.2
 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (11) pictures (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
1966 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2008

Features: Mine was made in 2007 in Korea. It's got the best looking cherry fnish for any Epiphone SG I've ever seen, and the full pickguard, which makes it look the the Gibson SG Standard. It's got nice trap inlays and the classic SG look and feel. It has some kind of Alcino classic humbuckers and a really light body. Plus, it's neck is really fast, which is a good thing. // 9

Sound: I play a somewhat broad range of music, from classic rock to metal to punk and jazz and so on. I did an A/B with this and a Gibson SG Standard and the differences were subtle. This sound was kind of darker than the Gibson, but can produce a nice treble-y, bight sound with the tone rolled up. It sounds great for hard rock like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, or Van Halen. It can also Switch from that bright tone to a nice mellow jazz tone on the neck pickup. It's nice and smooth yet chunky. No noise unless you crank the gain all the way. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think it looks so much better than the regular G-400 because of it's full pickgaurd and it's great finish. It's not a mock 'cherry' but a true Heritage cherry. The action came a bit low for my tastes, but with adjustments easy enough for a chimp to figure out it can be highered. The tuners make it stay in tune okay, but I noticed that the G and D strings come out of tune more often than the others, so I replaced the tuners with Gibson quality locking Grovers amd I'm all set. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never played this at a Live gig, but it could handle it. Everything seems like great quality, and I'd trust it without a backup. The strap buttons aren't the greatest quality but they're not gonna loosen up during the middle of a gig. I've had this guitar for 4 months and I don't treat my guitars lightly (with the exception of my Gibson LP and Fender Amerian Deluxe Strat), but the finish has stayed on well. Not one ding. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar for the money, not as good as the real Gibson, but not $1000 worth of difference. If it were stolen, I would beat the living crap out of the guy Who stole it OR (in the highly likely event that I don't find the gut) I would buy it again if it was the same price. I've been playing for about 3 years, through a Peavey Classic 30 with a Boss DS-1 and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I play mostly classic rock, but I stretch my style sometimes. With a change in pickups, this would be a really kick ass axe, so definitly a good buy. // 9

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2012

Features: 1966 G-400 SG was made in Indonesia probably later than 2008, I bought it around that time. The body is made of something that's not technically classified as a type of mahogany, but is called mahogany. From a practical standpoint it's really very similar. Rosewood fretboard, bound (contrary to popular belief) with 22 frets. The Heritage Cherry finish is the single most beautiful I've ever seen. Really top notch. Two passive classic Alnico humbuckers on a three way switch, with each pickup having its own tone and volume controls. There is, however, no provision for a whammy bar, if anyone cares for one of those. I personally don't. Also, red Epiphone's don't have the special thin cut neck other Epiphones do. // 8

Sound: This guitar has a very raw sound. It's rough, unrefined, and dark. What that means is with the right setup, you can get almost any sound out of it pretty well. It sounds best on a full, clean, jazzy sound, or a very harsh, thrashing metal sound. Without a really great amp (I use a Spider III from Line 6) there really isn't much middle ground to work with. It becomes hard to control, and picks up more finger noise than I would prefer. Someone who's a bit more delicate with their playing style than I am might be able to get something really amazing out of this thing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up is horrible. The neck pickup was sunk as low as it could have been, and the fret buzz was unbearable. I'm fairly certain that the bridge pickup shifts frequently, but it doesn't have any terrible effect on the sound. I'm not a huge fan of the glued neck, it makes some work more difficult. If you take it to a shop to get it set up, It's a wonderful instrument. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for maybe three or four years, and the only problem so far is a grounding issue, and that's a cheap fix, under ten dollars usually. I'm not sure that you would ever want to use this live without having a second guitar at the ready. I haven't had many problems but it's not perfectly reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: Pretty good guitar. About what you would expect from an Epiphone. Good guitar for the price, a great stepping stone when you're learning but not beginning anymore. // 8

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: MoonageDaydream, on july 14, 2008

Purchased from: Andertons Music

Sound: I play most music style, from thrash metal, to mathcore, to classic rock, to psychadelic and all the way back again. It suits my music style well, and is as versatile as I like to think my fingers are. I'm using it with a Roland Cube 30 and a Big Muff and a DS-2. It gives a lovely "Spanky" tone at the bridge pickup, hot with attack, and a lovely mellow tone at the neck. I have however used it with a friends Valve Junior and it sounded even better. Lots of great tones to be had with some twiddling. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up well, action was perfect for my taste, strung with 10s. Pickups were quite weird, in that the neck pickup is basically level with the pickguard an the bridge is almost as high as the bridge! This does ensure the SG tone, so I'll not complain. Everything else was top notch, cmoing from Epiphone's "Custom Shop" you hope to be purchasing a quality guitar, and it is, right out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In a live situation, this guitar plays and sounds as brilliant as it looks. Sings though a good tube amp. I hope to purchase one to break uot the potential of the guitar. I have played it twice in church and once in a concert, and it sung! Would love to play more with this. Could easily take a beating. Truth be told, I was standing in my room, just playing and I set it down on the floor, it slipped on the foor, hit my wooden wardrobe and dented it! // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, and I love this guitar. Great match for me, I have been complimented on it, and on it's looks. I have been playing for 2 years and it was a HUGE step up from my Squier Strat, which now resides in my corner. I wish the company hadn't fumbled the order for my hardcase. 3 months to wait for a hardcase? I cancelled the order, and it fits in my old case anyways. There are some sad, sad people Who think it's funny to steal things, and others, who think it's funny to hide things. I would buy it in a heartbeat, if I could find another one! I love everything about it. Personally, I think the pickguard and the bridge humbucker are my two favourite things. // 10

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: elmiguelon, on november 13, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: My guitar was made in 2009 in korea (it says so on the back of the headstock). I fist saw this guitar in Guitar Center when I decided to test out an SG Standard. I found this one as wel, and side to side, they look almost identical. Best Herritage Cherry finish on any Epiphone I have ever seen. I has a set mahogany neck with a Rosewood fretboard. Its got Alnico classic humbuckers, but they are a bit muddy. I play mostly AC/DC, so that is not really a problem. // 10

Sound: I love the sounds that I can make out of this baby! I might be biases since this is a HUGE step up from my cheap Strat knock off, but all my friends say it sounds incredible. My neighbor is a tone freak, and was able to get an AC/DC tone out of my small SP-10 practice amp. To me, the sound is incredible on clean too, but if your a metal head you might not like the tone on the bridge pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Here is where the problems began. I loved the action on it from the factory, but I was forced to make it higher because of the neck pickup. Out of the bok, it rattled, and upon opening the full pickguard (beautifull by the way) a spring had fallen of the screw. I had to highten the pickup even more so it wouldnt rattle. That really was the only flaw, nothing a little tinkering cant fix.I think the problem was probably because of shipping scince I had it shipped to my P.O. Box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't playes her Live yet, but she can take it. I've played with my friends and neghbors, and scince I like to imitate Angus Young, I was running all over the place. Not once did the strap fall off, but I do reccomend strap locks just in case. I already dropped her, and not a scratch. If she can take me on, she can probably take on Live playing. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play mostly AC/DC, and this guitar is a perfect match. Of course a Standard is better, but for the price I paid, this is an incredible bargain. In comparrison with the regualar g_400 (which my neighbor has) this one is somehow lighter. Don't ask me why, but thats how it is. What i love most about is is its looks. On my myspace, everyone thinks its an SG Standard scince i didn't show the headstock. // 10

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: aloehart, on july 20, 2010

Features: 22 frets, beautiful silver burst finish, double cutaway, solid mahogany body, set mahogany neck, modeled after the 1966 model Gibson SG that had a short run from 1966 to 1970 being replaced in '71. Tune-O-Matic bridge, volume and tone knobs for each puckup with a 3way selector. // 8

Sound: I play a large range of music genres. Dipping into the classics of rock, punk, classical, and a little country. But for the most part I play Alternative and sub genres of alt. For my wide range in styles it is a BEAUTIFUL instrument. I replaced the original strings (Whatever guitar center had strung it with) with some Earny Ball Super Slinky strings. The sound is crystal clear. A clean sharp sound when using the treble pickup and a soft deep sound on the rhythm while using both provides a rich full sound. I played in store with it for about an hour going from amp to amp for comparison so I knew it was the one I wanted. But sadly I'm stuck with a crappy Danelectro practice amp for now. But it still sounds beautiful. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The raised bridge is great for how it plays. It gives it better projection when playing acoustically and provides a better Acoustic sound (for when you want to play quietly). The pickups work well. They do their job just fine to provide great sound. The tone and volume knobs are a little offcenter which doesn't effect performance but it is a slight defect. The only real flaws were 2 small ones. The first being that the 3rd fret (as in the metal fret itself not the fingering spot) is slightly off angle leaning higher on the high string side. This didn't cause any visual problems at all. I wouldn't have known if I hadnt had it in my old Coffin case which was a little too small causing the neck to bow back a little over time. This caused the 1st and 2nd frets on the high e to be muted while the rest of the strings got buzz. But again this was my fault that the problem occurred and it was easily fixed by adjusting the truss rod. The second is when the selector is set to use both pickups it plays clearly. But turn the volume on 1 pickup to 0 and it mutes both. Not a problem since having 1 on 0 you may as well set to the pickup you wanna use and actually comes in handy for me if I want to play acoustically for some reason. But both are still slight flaws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for about 2 months and so far it has held up to my treatment but I treat my guitars very very well and carry it in a case custom fitted to the SG model guitars. The hardware seems like it will last as long as the guitar does under the treatment I give it. I can't speak for stage since I don't play on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play a wide range and both aesthetically and technically this guitar matches me to a T. I've been playing for around 6 months though i've been playing off and on using guitars of others for about 2 yers. If it was lost or stolen and there were more available I'd happily pay another $100 over the price I originally paid to replace it. I paid an extra 50 for the finish. I compared it with all the guitars in the store within my price range of about 500. Overall its a wonderful instrument and would make a great first or second guitar for any guitarist. I'd suggest if your buying a gift though to pick up a First Act and save the money since it may not be something they would be interested in. // 9

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2009

Features: The one that I got was made in China in 2009 (Maybe 2008. I bought it in February and I don't know how old it is). It has 22 frets, and beautiful mother of pearl trapazoid inlays. Its body and neck are mahogany, but the fretboard is rosewood. Its finish is incredible! A true Heritage cherry that will get better with age. Another thing that I love is the grover tuners it has. It stays in tune great. I also bought a case for it (which I factored into the cost). // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic and alternative rock. This guitar is perfect for that sound. I play through a Boss DS-1 into a Spectra jmf 210. I like the sound the best when both the pick ups are engaged. It gives the best variety. The treble setting it very "trebley" (great for leads), and the rythem setting is very full like it should be. Overal it has great sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I played it at the store and it felt good, but I knew it could be better. The action was a little bit high, two knobs were lose, and the guy that helped me said the neck was a little bent/flexed. He fixed the action and the neck and it felt awsome. I forgot to tell him about the knobs, so when I got home I called him the next day and he told me how to fix it. As far as the pick ups go. The neck pick up is low and the bridge pick up is high. It sounds good that way so I'm not going to change it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar long enough to play one gig, and it was great. I played it without a back up and I would do it again. It's very reliable. I replaced the strap buttons with a strap lock system right away. When the new buttons were put on a screw wasn't put in right and it kept coming lose. I had to screw it back in every time after I played. Eventually the inside got stripped, and I had to put some match sticks in there to fix it. Other than that It's a soild guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and I feel this guitar is perfect for me (It is my second guitar. I also have a Squier Strat). I would recomend it to any level player Who loves to play rock music. I did compare this to the Gibson SG Special Faded and it sounded identical, and the Gibson is twice the price. The #1 reason I love this guitar is because it looks and sounds like a Gibson and is 1/2-1/3 the price. // 10

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: PowerPopGuy, on september 02, 2009

Features: This is an Epiphone G-400 1966 SG model, made in 2009, as far as I can tell in China. It includes 22 frets, and the neck is really fast, and small enough to fit almost any sized hand. It includes 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, although, when I bought it, one of the knobs had a little bit of it missing, and another knob was a completely different knob from another guitar, but looked like it was made to mock the Epiphone knobs. It is a solid top guitar, and I believe it is made out of Mahogany. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, with 2 alcino passive pickups, a 3-way pickup selector, and grover tuners. Great guitar overall, feature wise. // 10

Sound: I play mainly alternative/rock/pop/experimental music, and also like creating a lot of feedback. With the pickups this thing has, they're alright. Not the best, but good enough. It's actually a very quiet guitar, unless I have my distortion pedal on anywhere near a television, haha. I'm using a Fender Frontman 15b sent through a Marshall Classic Original Limited Edition 4X12 cabinet. It sounds alright, but it kinda takes away from the sound because of my amp, so that's my fault, I guess. It has a little bit of a darker sound, but it's credible nonetheless. I haven't been able to mess around much with the versatility of the sounds yet, because I usually just find a tone, and stick with it... so yeah, no opinions in that field yet. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, it was okay. I had the strings replaced the day I got it, which was about 3 months back (Today's Monday, August 31st) so, overall it was crappy. I paid about 10 bucks for a quick checkup/pickup adjustment, and neck adjustment. All went well. Plays like a dream now. The only flaws on it are small scratches, where you can see a bit of the wood, but that's physical. Oh, and sometimes when you try to switch to the Treble/Bridge pickup, it'll get real quiet, but I guess I need to get the pickup selector re-soldered, and cleaned out, but I don't know. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's been very reliable, besides the fact of the pickup selector issue, but that'll only cost a few bucks to get fixed, thank God, so other than that, no other problems with reliability. Perfect. As far as I can tell, this guitar will DEFINITELY make it through a gig, so no worries there. The strap buttons are great, just, I'd advise wearing strap locks on it, but that's just me. All my guitars have strap locks, because this one guitar came loose one time, and dropped. I wasn't too happy with that. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression, great guitars for beginners, and even advanced players, hell, even professionals will do good with this thing, just, people won't take you too seriously because of the brand of the guitar, but whatever, screw them. It sounds just like a Gibson to me, in which I own none, but I've played many. Many many many many. Anyway, it's a real good guitar. I'd suggest it. Something that you wouldn't regret, period, having in your collection, even as a just-for-show guitar. // 9

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2009

Price paid: A$ 519

Purchased from: Arties Music

Features: I dunno where or when it was made. It has 22 frets, medium sized neck, trapezoid inlays, 2 volume and 2 control knobs, and the full sized pickguard. It has alcino classic humbuckers. I got mine in the cherry finish and it rocks. It'd be better if it had a thinner neck (just personel preference), and a Floyd Rose, but it's an SG so that's not gonna happen. I took this over a Les Paul because it was double cutaway, making it easier for me to reach to higher frets in the lower strings, and also because Les Pauls are f--kin heavy. // 8

Sound: I mostly play metal and hard classic rock (Kiss, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc.), and occasionally blues/reggae type stuff, because it's easy to play and people like it. The SG suits most of these styles, but is best suited for 70's rock stuff. The clean sounds are awesome too, it has a warm vibe about it. I'm giving it a ten because classic rock is my favourite genre and the SG is best for that. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, the bridge pickup was about double the height of the neck pickup, but I loved it like that, so I left it. The cherry red finish is awesome! All the chicks I know love it... big sex appeal with SG's. The strap buttons are solid as a rock, I have no doubt that they'll hold up. The controls were tight, and weren't loose or falling off, like my friends SG. It's not a bolt on either, it's a neck-through. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar with my school band for jams every week, and when it came time for us to do a gig, the guitar held up fine. One string was out of tune, but that was entirely my fault, not the guitars fault. I had tuned about half an hour before, but I didn't run through the strings a second time, and with all guitars, you ought to do that, unless you have a locking tremelo. But I've used it on other occasions and it's kept in tune perfectly. I've dropped this guitar, whakked it into my desk, slammed the neck into my wall as I was walking out the door, and it's only come out with a few little marks, but I reckon the marks look awesome, because it makes it look a bit more aged. And yes, I would use this guitar without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is perfect for anyone who likes playing old school rock stuff, and you wants a reliable guitar. It has good tones, good body and stuff. I owned a Fender Squire which was a load of crap, and this kills it. I have a Roland Cube 15X, and some Zoom G1X pedals, but I want to upgrade to the Marshall MG100HDFX halfstack, because the tones out of the SG through a Marshall kill. // 10

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: GeneralizationQ, on september 10, 2010

Features: I bought this guitar to upgrade from my Squier Bullet Strat. It was made in Epiphone's china plant in 2004. Has a mahogany body, mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The bridge is the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge. Has alnico passive pickups, classic plus in the bridge and classic in the neck. I must say, the neck definitely is not thin, but I love the feel of it. Tis a set-neck and it feels natural in my hands (well... Hand).Comes with a volume and tone pot for each pickup and a 3 way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: I play anything from Jazz to straight up Heavy f--king Metal. I say it covers everything well enough for my tastes. I know it doesn't excel at covering Everything. It does a good enough job for me though. I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 15 so I have some versatility in that regards with my sound. After all, the tone comes from the amp and the guitar. It's a very quiet guitar on most setting, and I can get it to sound full or crisp and clear with ease. Just depends on my settings. I'm probably going to Switch out my pickups for a Duncan JB/Jazz combo. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action it was in when I got it was absolutely, positively horrible. It played worse than my Squier at first and went out of tune like crazy. Took it in to a guitar tech and got it setup properly. Plays just as well as my friends Gibson Les Paul and stays in tune even with the craziest of bends. (I.E. Heartbreaker solo with Jimmy Paige's insane 2 step bends.) The bridge pickup was high just how I like it, and the neck was a little high for my tastes, so I just simply lowered it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will withstand live playing. It's solidly built and mahogany is definitely not a weak wood. The hardware seems well built, I have full confidence it will last. I switched out the strap buttons for Dunlop Strap Locks. It's something I simply can't live without. I would not gig this without a back-up simply because my luck is absolutely horrible and the one time I were to do so, I would snap the neck off the body or do something irreversible to it. The finish seems absolutely amazing. The one problem I have with this guitar is it's not well balanced and the neck always likes to drift towards the floor. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for me. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I only own a Squier Strat and this along with my Peavey Vypyr 15. If it were stolen I would buy it again. The thing I hate about this is the short scale neck. I like long scale necks. I compared it to pretty much every guitar in my price range, and I chose this one because I thought it was the best deal. I kind of wish it had a trem on it, but I believe I can just fit a Kahler trem into it. (According to the people at guitar center.) // 8

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: thai_giang, on november 29, 2011

Price paid: C$ 485

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: The guitar was made during 2010 in the Qingdao factory located in China. The body is made out of Mahogany and the fretboard is of Rosewood. 22 frets with pearl trapezoid fret inlays. Frets are smooth along the edges of the neck, edges of the fretboard/neck are rounded/smoothed off giving a very smooth and comfortable feel. Silver grover tuners, Alnico Classic neck pick-up and Alnico Classic Plus bridge pick-up along with locking bridge and tail-piece. This model features the "Gibson SG Standard" full pick-guard as well as a 3-way toggle-switch and 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs. Out of the box it came with a free patch cord, a poster, and the warranty card & manual. // 9

Sound: Upon using this guitar with a Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack, it has excellent clarity on the clean channel with the neck pick-up, giving really nicely balanced bright clean tone. Also sounds great on the cleans with the neck and bridge pick-ups engaged. On overdrive on the neck pick-up a very nice smooth and soft warm lead tone is achieved with out muddiness. On the bridge pick-up it has a very warm biting overdrive that isn't muddy. Overall tone has nice mids. Excellent for playing along with AC/DC and classic rock in general. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box the action was only a tad bit higher than I wanted, but I quickly adjusted the action to my preferences and the guitar felt great after. The neck pick-up was set to perfect height but I raised the bridge pick-up a bit to get more sensitivity and output from the pick-up. The body is one entire piece of mahogany, connected to a two piece neck. There is a small crack in the finish on the back-side of the guitar neck near the neck joint but it is only a cosmetic flaw. Tone knobs roll on and off smoothly and firmly, input jack is nice and tight. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far it has lived up to my playing standards, I haven't had any issues with it, with the SG you don't have to worry too much about strap-locks due to where the strap buttons are placed. The finish is perfect, not too thick and not too thin with excellent consistency. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is an excellent guitar for its price. It is excellent for playing classic rock and hard rock, sounds great, looks great, feels great. Couldn't have asked for more. I've sought after this guitar initially a few years ago after stumbling upon it on Musician's Friend and then eventually ended up having to purchase it! // 9

1966 G-400 Reviewed by: SleepFan, on june 18, 2012

Purchased from: Hix Bros.

Features: I believe that mine was made in either China or Korea but, whereever it was they did a fantastic job. It is solid and very durable. 22 frets with a thicker neck for those in the market for one, just a warning for the many fans of thinner/faster necks. The guitar is made out of mahogany wood and mine has a beautiful silver burst finish. Just as a warning, I can understand how the SG body style may not be for everyone but, I enjoy it. This is clearly a guitar made for power not speed. Very active electronics with two Alnico pickups, one for treble and one for rhythm. There is a switch for both and the center is off. There are four controls, two volume and and two tone. Honestly the treble works great but, the rhythm pickup seems to be less responsive. Overall, some great hardware was put in this guitar. I think people want SGs to have the same makeup and sound as a Gibson which it basically does. Thanks Epiphone for a great instrument, I wasn't sure at first because this was my first Epiphone, and I am happily surprised. // 9

Sound: Sound is this guitar best feature. It suits my musical style perfectly, which was the main reason for my purchase. I don't play excessively fast and like I mentioned before I wouldn't recommend it for those who do. But, if you are like me and want a wonderfully sounding guitar with good tone and massive power I would definitely recommend this guitar to you. I play alot of heavy metal, classic rock, and blues. It gets a near spot on Black Sabbath, AC/DC, The Beatles sound if you are looking for these sounds. This is the perfect pick for that sort of music. I play mostly rhythm parts as well, since it might be worth mentioning. If you want a thrash metal, death metal, or shredding lead guitar for solos you might want to look at a different guitar. Its not noisy like I've heard others complain about it even with it at a very loud setting with my 30watt amp. The sounds it can make are either very evil/dark or very bright/happy not much in between but, I doubt that's what you are looking for. I'm giving it a 10 because it makes the sound I want which is a heavy, evil, powerful, and immense sound. I wanted to get a sound close to Tony Iommi, other guitars may be better suited to a different sound but, I got what I wanted and paid for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Its very well made and the pickups are well adjusted on mine. Mine was new and had no marks or flaws from what I saw. The finish is amazing and shines and I would reccomend the silver burst if you have the money for it. I think the silver burst made it $400. Though, if you just want the guitar you can get it most places in red for $300 or black for $350. Its your choice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will last playing live as long as you don't go nuts with it. The main hardware will last but, the strap buttons that it came with are pretty average so I just replaced them with Dunlop Strap locks which solved the problem. I got those for $20 if you wanted to know. I would depend on it and use it at any gig I'd go to without a backup. The finish is very nice and I'm worried about messing it up by playing it too hard, it won't wear off, but it might get scratched up and worn after some more playing. But, that's the point of wearing down a guitar to actually make it look older. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a masterful intermediate guitar. I am an intermediate player and find it suits me well. Possibly a professional guitarist could use one even though they would probably just get a Gibson since they are better. But, for those who want a true heavy metal/blues/classic rock guitar for a cheaper and much more affordable price compared to a Gibson, I would highly recommend this guitar. I truly love this guitar and am very satisfied with it sound and features. If it were stolen I would buy it again if I had the money. I should mention the only guitar for me that could beat this one would be a very nice Gibson SG, other than that I love the sound Epiphone gave it and they did a good job getting the quality of a Gibson in a cheaper Epiphone model. It plays the blues and heavy metal/Tony Iommi sounds very well and I will be rocking with this guitar for a long time to come. This is a behemoth of a guitar and a high quality instrument. It makes a massive sound that hopefully you'll enjoy. I recommend this to any intermediate player, and I hope that this helps anyone on the verge of buying one to choose if this is right for them. Your welcome in advance to anyone who does buy one and enjoys it. Thanks for reading this review and rock on www.UltimateGuitar.com! // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014