Beast Review

8.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Beast Reviewed by: DethbyChocolate, on october 13, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: This Explorer model is extremely hard to find, even online. For a while I had no idea what it was. I knew only that it was an Epiphone, and an Explorer. But after countless hours of research, I believe I reached a verdict. The Epiphone Beast, has an Epiphone Explorer body, except for the tail, which is shaped similar to a bat wing, if you will. It is equipped with a Tune-O-Matic bridge, string through body, and bolt-on construction, banana-shaped head-stock and was built in Korea. Mine has a black finish, but I have seen only one other Beast online which was red. It has a three-way pick-up selector, and volume, and tone knobs. // 9

Sound: The sound is pretty solid. The stock pick-ups are what is to expected from stock pick-ups. I play mostly metal, and I've managed to get a prettu good sound out of it. Being bought used, it had to undergo some small repair work, but nothing serious. I just had to lower the pick-ups a bit for better harmonics, and raise the bridge a little. Overall, this guitar has a pretty good sound, but with the help of a good amp I'm sure you could get a great sound from it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only complaint I have with the cosmetic design of the guitar is the size, and shape. Its tail is so large you can hardly find a case to fit it. I reccomend a Coffin case or any hard shell that can fit a Dean ML. Also, avoid playing this guitar in small spaces. Its tail-size will cause it to bump into anything and everything, expect to get a few scratches. This guitar has plenty of junk in the trunk, but ultimately, I can't complain much. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazingly durable. As mentioned above, expect a few bumps, and bruises due to its large tail, and mine has been through hell and back for years, and it still works like the day I bought it. The hardware is pretty durable as well, but I do recommend dusting, and cleaning the bridge every once in a while. The only thing about the hardware is the input jack. It gets loose fairly easy, and can be very annoying. // 8

Overall Impression: I have had this guitar for years, and overall, I like it. It has its pros, and cons, but so does every other piece of equipment. If it was stolen, I would be screwed, considering that I haven't seen another like it in real life, and only one other online. My favorite feature of this guitar would have to be the neck. Its really comfortable, and pretty fast, which makes up for its monstrous body size. This guitar is one of a kind, and after years of playing with it, I'm satisfied with it. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014