Demon Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/02/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Demon
The E-series Demon electric guitar featuring dramatic body styling, solid-tonewood body and dual high-powered humbuckers.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.7
reviews (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Demon Reviewed by: barfy2000, on march 29, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: (Most of the detailed info about these features came off of the Epiphone website). This guitar was manufactured in 2001 in Korea (as far as I know). The neck is a 22-fret maple w/an Indian rosewood fingerboard and the body is also maple/satin finish. It is a "Demonic" spin on the classic Flying V guitars and has a string-thru-body bridge. It has a volume, tone, 3-way Switch with 2 "Ultra Hot" covered humbuckers. As far as I know the guitar didnt come with any accesories. But since I purchased it from a friend, who knows? The guitar comes in 3 colours: metallic black, red metallic, metallic light blue I have the black one. // 8

Sound: I mostly play classic rock/blues, with some newer sounds thrown in for good measure and this guitar is great for it. I use it with a Peavey Rage 158 and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and with a little tweaking of knobs I can get a lot of sounds out of this bad boy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty good at the factory I guess. Everything came to me in good order. I really only had one problem with it, and that was when I play the low e and a strings, it makes a kind of "buzzing noise" which I believe is from a poorly filed fretwire, because it is rubbing against the string. That's about it I haven't had any other problems that weren't caused by me. The only thing I could reccomend is getting some strap locks since my strap doesn't ever want to stay on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar will withstand live playing, it's a very solid guitar and it certainly has never crapped out on me before. Everything seem like that, with proper care it would last you a very long time. The strap buttons are solid and I would use it at a gig without backup. I recently did a custom paint job on it, but the finish was well done and would last through thick and thin. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play most classic rock and this is a good match. I've been playing for 2 years. If this guitar were stolen I would definitely buy a new one, I love the look, the sound, everything about it. One thing I don't like, and this is not really much of an issue for me anyways, but it is an odd shape which makes it a hassle when playing while sitting. Not too big of a deal but I thought I would mention it. Overall, this is a great guitar for beginners, who are looking for a decent sounding, affordable, cool looking 6 string electric. // 8

Demon Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2008

Features: The rosewood board on this axe makes for very fast and smooth play. I especially love the finish on my guitar. I opted for he metallic blood red, it is absolutely gorgeous! I never thought (before I purchased this as my first "V" style) I would be comfortable playing a Flying "V" style guitar but this guitar is deceptively nice feeling. I like the chrome covered humbuckers and their punchy sound. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal and this guitar really does sound excellent through my Crate half stack. It has a nice low end and growls with the stock distortion on the head. I do notice there is a small "hum" or "buzz" that this guitar creates (which none of my other guitars produce at the same settings on my amps). I don't exactly like the guitar when it is clean though. Overall, for the price I paid when the model was Brand New and the beautiful metallic blood red finish, I couldn't ask for a better guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar played excellent the first time out of the box. It lasted through Live shows, rehearsals, and studio play. I, too, have the fretwire problem that oters seem to have experienced with this model as well. Overall the guitar has held up and feels solid! Most of the aesthetic flaws are from a couple years of abuse (which I can't fault the manufacturer for). Although I did notice something thoug, while playing one night the screw that adjusts the bridge pickup fell out and now the whole pickup is loose and sunken in to the body. This have never happened to me before wih any other guitar. So a word of advice, keep tabs on the hardware and make sure everything is tight. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have never had an issue with my strap slipping off the buttons and for the most part the hardware is good (except for my pickup height adjusment screw). This guitar stays in tune with NO PROBLEMS and keeps it's sound throughout the performance. it's taken quite a few bangs and bumps but still only has a few surface dings. I would use this guitar without back-up but any musician knows that the threat of a broken string is always a factor so I always have a back-up for that reason alone. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is a fantastic beginner to intermediate guitar for metal and hard rock! The price is unbeatable and this guitar has provided me with years of perfect service. I wish there was a whammy bar and that holes for the string-through were bigger. Other than that I would recommend this guitar to anyone willing to turn heads an make ears bleed. If I ever lost this guitar I wouldn't think twice but to replace it. // 8

Demon Reviewed by: blickblocks, on july 22, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist, New in Box

Features: The Epiphone Demon was produced only one year, 2001, in Korea. 22 frets, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. I have the light metallic blue model. 2 covered chrome humbuckers, a three way selector, volume and single tone knob. The headstock is angled, allowing better sustain. That's a feature you don't typically see on a guitar in this price range. // 7

Sound: I've been playing more metalcore stuff lately, as well as Indie rock. The Demon has a mediocre clean sound so I mostly stick with the Strat when playing the latter. The bridge pickup has a really awesome growl on the low end, though it seems to break apart a bit if taken down to drop C. The mids and highs sound great. As it is stock, it's really a guitar meant to be played with high gain. Since I produce music more than I play Live, I use the amp modeler built into GarageBand, on a MacBook with an M-Audio interface. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation seemed fine, but the action was a little high. The only flaws I see are a weak output jack and a loose pickup selector. These still need to be replaced on mine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've bumped this guitar into walls several times in the past 6 months I've owned it (it is almost 4 feet long), and it has held up great. The paint job is surprisingly durable. Strap buttons are solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I've had several guitars growing up, but I only picked it up more seriously in the past year or so. I also have an older Squire Strat, which I keep in Standard and use for playing clean rhythm. Because I'm also interested in playing metalcore, the Demon is a great compliment, as it can get the low growls and higher dissonant sounds I want. If it were stolen or lost I actually would try to find another one. First of all, they are absolute bargains (when you can find one). It's been 8 years since they stopped making these, and it's still possible to find new in box models. For around $200 this is a fantastic guitar for it's purpose, I haven't seen many others in the price range that I'm interested in. Secondly, I've always wanted a Jackson Rhoads style Flying V just because they look so damn cool. Light metallic blue is also a great color, it's exactly what I would have picked if I could pick any color. It just looks fantastic. I wish it had a better clean output, though that's something I'll probably fix with a new neck pickup. You can't play this guitar sitting down too comfortably, unless perched on a high stool. I don't take off any points for that because the only reason to pick a Flying V over a more traditional shape is of course, for fashion. And it does look great... // 8

Demon Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com years and years ago

Features: The Demon V was a limited run (only 1000 made, world-wide) Epiphone take on the classic Rhodes V. It sports two E-Series covered humbucking pickups, as well as a super lightweight body and 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard. Standard volume, tone, and 3-way toggle switch. // 9

Sound: I owe Epiphone an apology. When I purchased this guitar years ago, I expected a balls-to-the-wall, all out fire-breathing guitar. It is NOT what I recieved, and only reccently have I come to appreciate it for what it is. No, what I recieved was something much more complex sounding. While the E-series humbuckers are not going to win in a shred competition with it's Gibson counterpart, they're not far off from the hallowed Gibson PAF or even the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates sound. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are describing here, because the guitar cleans up beautifully! It practially begs for a quality chorus unit. I assure you, many an extended metal-induced balled can be written with this broad paint brush. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action from the factory was respectable. Every Demon V (though manufactured in Korea) is set up in the USA. The action was a touch high on mine, as well, but I noticed with repeated playing the guitar got a much more comfortable, 'broken in' feeling. The wide, thin neck is great for runs, while still quite good for bending. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Demon V I own took a 20 foot dive off of a stage. It knocked loose one of the components inside, but given the distance, it should've finished it off entirely! A half an hour of open-heart surgery and it was good to go once again. Barring this freak accident, I've never so much as had it fizzle at me even once. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar does a number of things well, but the dicotomy is figuring out how they fit together. While not suited for the heaviest of metal, it covers everything from classic rock to thrash perfectly. Whilst not suited for country, clean Acoustic runs sounds great (especially in fusion or jazz styles). If you're looking for a metal-only monster, you may be disappointed. If your looking for a multi-faceted tool to create many different sounds on, you could definately do worse than picking up one of these. (Assuming, of course, you can still find one.) // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014