Dot Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/02/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Dot
The Dot is well made. Its medium-sized frets are lightly polished and well shaped, the neck joint is clean, the hardware robust, and the finish is flawless. Weight is a moderate 7.5 lbs.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 8.4
reviews (13) pictures (4) 79 comments vote for this gear:
Dot Reviewed by: williamsanders, on october 13, 2007

Purchased from: Muziek & Visie Antwerp

Features: 2002 Korean made (Un Sung) Cherry Red dot. 22 Medium frets, pressed into a rosewood fretboard with dot markers (hey, what's in a name). Neck is made out of mahogany, the body is made of (laminated) maple, with a nice grain! Neck has the '60s profile, much shallower than the fat '50-ies model. The finish is a High Gloss Cherry-red. The guitar is designed after the Gibson es335, so it's a semihollow one. Standard Gibson features, like a 24.75" scale length, 2 vol & 2 tones, 3way Switch and two alnico humbuckers. TOM-bridge and stopbar tailpiece. My guitar features Gotoh "Epiphone signature" tuners. I received my guitar with a Epiphone case and strap, strings, picks, cloth. Even a Gibson t*shirt! // 10

Sound: I play mainly blues & classic rock, and together with the Epiphone G400 "SG", this is the ideal combination for playing everything between the Elvis, over Big Brother & The Holding Company, to The Doords, Led Zeppelin. I run the dot thru a Fender Blues Deville, and the tubes are doing the guitar justice. On the neck pickup, you het the nice soft & warm bluessound, while the bridge pickup gives you a nasty twang. Both pickups delivers you the sound, ideal for strumming. The guitar isn't at all noisy, although it isn't shielded. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up perfectly, though I recommend to change the strings to GFX flatwounds. Nothing to say on this one, the guitar was build to stand for years (if you would handle it with care). The woodwork was done properly, as wel as the hardware. The chrome won't come off. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Epiphone, sure it would withstand liveplaying, but you'll have to be carefull, because the body sides are very thin, and can be damaged quickly when you drop your guitar (hollowbody's don't bounce like a Telecaster). The finish is "Bullet proof", I can't get a scar in it, but the wood dents very fast. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, mainly blues & classic rock, and it's a very good match fot those styles. Also, it's a classic design, it looks really nice! I've been playing over 8 years now, and this is the best Epiphone I've put my hands on. I would guard it, so it won't get stolen, but if so, I'm gonna buy another one, but with the '60s profile. // 10

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2008

Purchased from: Andertones

Features: Made in China year 2007, 22 medium jumbo frets. solid Vintage sunburst top. an Alder body and mahogany neck with ebony fretbord, I was suprised as well, it may well be rosewood.A ajustable tune-o-matic bridge. pickups are Epiphone standards. comes with grover tuners. the body woods are exquisite for a guitar of this price and the tuners are on par with anything on a Gibson. I was very impressed. // 8

Sound: This guitar is easily more veritle than a Strat becuse of it's semiacoustic body. You can easily get away with playing acouslticaly and although it's obviously not as loud as a full on dreadnought it is fair.The problems start with the pickups they have a very averge sound quality and depspite the price they are the same pickups Epiphone use in most of their Standard les pauls, and a decent squire sounds so much better than this. havind said that they are versitle you can easily acheve woman tone for some soulfull blues and they can handle most of the gain you can throw at them and so they are aceptable for metal. I play most early metal and rock and it handels it fine but I'm not blown away. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: THe action was absymall from the facotry however I got a free setup from andertons and when I had it returned it was brilliant. the guitar can have differnt wood paterns you just need to look for it. mine has a small wood knot I chose becuse I liked the imperfection but is ver sublte and you can choose a flawles wood. The lacquer finish was very neat.it looks the part and is very handsome. // 7

Reliability & Durability: this guitar has stood up to much Live playing and is now my main guitar. This guitar feels like it's built like a brick bog house despite being hollow. and will take lots of beating before you see a scratch. this guitar fell like it's ready for a journey of long useage which is amazing considering the price. // 10

Overall Impression: THis is the most satisfying guitar I have ever owned dispite the problems I have listed this thing feels like it's a solid big round fat noise machine that is very easy to improve. all this thin woulld need is replacemnt pickups and then it would become the ultimate axe as the main problem is those cheep Epiphone pickups which for the reputation Epiphone has is unacetpable.when playing away you fel that massive rear end in your waist and you think. 'I am playing someting special'. this guitar has attitude and guts and for that I love it. Easily better than a standerd les paul becuse of it's majesty. Gives a great fat sound. I would love for it to have better pickups, then it would be a unsung hero. // 9

Dot Reviewed by: JayLacelle, on march 02, 2009

Price paid: C$ 425

Purchased from: Steves Music

Features: This guitar is semi-hollow body, I got the cherry coloured model. It has 22 frets with a laminated top. The neck is Mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. It has groover tuners and all the hardware is chrome. It has 2 stock Epiphone passive humbuckers (same as most Epiphone les pauls, etc.) Each pickup has a tone and volume control. The guitar had a tunomatic bridge as a 3-way pickup selector Switch. Only thing included with this guitar is an alan key and a small 1/4 inch cable. // 10

Sound: I play every kind of music imaginable, from classical to blues to punk rock to metal. I play through a Vox valvotronix 30 watt amp or my Laney 212, along with assorted effects. This guitar is the MOST VERSATILE guitar on the market. Gives amazing cleans and nice bluesy overdrives. When you crank up the gain the beautiful tone is still dominent. Personally I keep the tone knobs fully open because the pickups have a pretty balanced natural EQ. The pickups have no noise at all. The best thing about this guitar is the infanite sustain. The semi-hollow body design causes the pickups to continue to "pick up" the sound even after the strings have stopped vibrating. Imagine the exact tone of a les paul with more sustain. That about sums up the sound of this wonderful guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up almost perfectly right from the factory. The only flaw was the A string had some fret rattle. At first I thought the action was too low, but it turned out the string was slightly damaged. I put in some new D'Addario regular light strings and the problem was completely fixed. No fret rattle at all anymore. No other problems at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is structured pretty solid for a semi-hollow body. I would definetely gig with this guitar. Pretty hard to scratch this baby. Unless you jump on the hollow "wings" of the body, this guitar is built to last probably longer then the player. If you plan to travel a lot with this guitar then I would suggest a hard case or a high end padded gig bag. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best guitar I have ever played. I imagine the Gibson 335 (what the Dot is modelled after) is slightly better, but IS NOT worth the extra $2500 unless you have the money to spare. I haven't even thought of upgrading this guitar because everything it has now is perfect. This guitar is as beautiful to look at as it is to play, and the tone counldn't get any better. // 10

Dot Reviewed by: willwelsh816, on august 03, 2009

Features: This is my first real guitar. I've been playing on a Jay Acoustic for about 3 years, and when I got this guitar, I found out how good I acually was. The Dot I got was made in 2009, in May. It was made in Korea (like all Epiphone dots). It has 22(count 'em) frets. There was nothing wrong with them. It has a Laminated maple top. The neck is mahogany and the fretboard is made of rosewood. It has a 335-style body, and it is very classy looking. It has a darkish-red(cherry) finish, with cream body binding. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic and it has Passive electronics. There are two volume, two tone, and a 3-way selector, just like a Gibson 335. There are two Alnico Classic humbuckers(stock), that sound very nice. They are double vacuum waxed and have Enamel-coated wire in them. The tuners hold tune just fine, only if you string it the "correct" way. For an extra $170, my Dot came with a case and a handful of picks. // 8

Sound: It suits my music style very well. I play Chicago, Delta, and Western-style blues. I occasionally play some Chuck Berry and Wes Montgomery. I'm using it with an Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack with no effects. It is not noisy at all(what are humbuckers for?). It has a very nice, full sound to it. By the way, I fingerpick, so the sound is very mellow, and cool when I do that. When I tried to use a pick, the sound was noticably brighter. I'm not good with picks, so I stay with my fingers. This guitar can handle anything that you'd throw at a Gibson with 57' Classics in it. Blues, Jazz, Country, Rock...you name it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My Dot was set up perfectly from the factory, the pickups were all in line, the action was nice and low(although that makes it nearly impossible to do any slide), and the neck was straight as an arrow. The finish is flawless, and there are no knots in the wood at all. Although my only complaint is that, charactaristically, the "E" fell right off as I pulled off the plastic coverings of the pickups and scratchplate. I restuck it on the case. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing, and everything looks long-lasting. The wood at the F-holes is about as thick as an Ipod Nano. I will depend on it, but I cannot trust any guitar without a backup, as strings don't last forever. Very good for it's reliability & Durability. // 10

Overall Impression: A good summary of the style I play is fingerstyle blues, and This is a perfect match. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I have a beloved (now slide guitar) Jay Jr Acoustic, that I modded a Strat pickup into. I wish I had asked for some polish or something similar before taking this home, and there are fingerprints on it, and I don't like that. I hate that I didn't get this a year ago, and I love that I got it this year. My favorite feature is being able to Switch pickups. // 10

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 02, 2009

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: John Bellone's

Features: I believe mine is a 2007, and it was made in China. This guitar has 22 frets, the high ones being very easily reachable due to the cut-out style. I purchased mine in Ebony with the cream trim, and the finish is quite satin-like and reflective. It could be a mirror. It features a tune-o-matic bridge, and I had to buy the case separately. It has controls for each pick-up (two tones, two volumes) and the selector Switch is three-way and is well attached (one of the only guitars I own where the Switch head doesn't unscrew itself everytime I hit it...not a big deal but rather convenient). I attached a Bigsby B7 to mine and it functions beautifully, even though it's just minor vibrato (I wish you could buy 335's with one like you could a Gibson 355...Varitone Switch would be genius as well). The guitar has all of the features you would expect for a Standard semi-hollowbody guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for the type of music I play. I play mainly 60's and 70's influenced rock and progressive rock and some blues, and this guitar is perfect. I play lots of Rush and this guitar is a warhorse if you're aiming for an Alex Lifeson-esque sound. I run it through a Vox Valvetronix (which runs through a Marshall 4X12 cabinet) and it seems to be a very dynamic combo. When put together with my Boss CE-20 and the rest of the toys...wow. The clean sound is very crisp and mesmerizing with a beautiful warmth, and through the gain channels this guitar has that unique stinging bite and undertone growl that the Gibson 335's have. There is also that trademark semi-hollowbody feedback squeal that would probably attract dogs from across town, use at your own risk! This guitar can be used for nearly everything: blues, funk, progressive rock, classic rock...however hevy metal might be challenging, but running through the right equipment it could probably work. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was assembled to par, as far as I have seen. The only thing I had to bring it in for was to get it professionally set-up, and I had to lower the action. However, I usually do that with all of my guitars. After a few months of playing though, the input jack fell into the body and I didn't have the proper tools to get it out...but the repair guy Who had the right tools fixed it right in front of me for free. I don't hold any grudges for that, and I still think that it was one beautifully made guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands and will withstand more Live playing. I suggest though, if you like to exercise a bit on stage, that you purchase some locking straps. After all, semi-hollowbodies are larger instruments and some care should be put into making sure they don't slip out of a regular leather strap. The hardware will do fine (one thing I might change over time is the nut, because ever since I attached the Bigsby it has been falling out of tune a little easier) and the current specs will work for years. I would always take a back-up, that's just how I am, but I fully rely on this baby anyway. Oh, and the finish is quite strong, so far after over a year of owning it and playing it ALL the time there hasn't been one fade or anything. // 9

Overall Impression: I play lots of old classic rock and prog rock (Rush, King Crimson, The Who, Cream etc.) and this guitar is perfect for those styles. I've been playing a few years now (first guitar was in grade 6...off and on til grade 12...now i'm almost 20. Put it together...probably 7 years, but only 2 1/2 years seriously)and I'm fortunate to own a lot of other fun and exciting guitars and accessories, but this one is by far one of my true gems. If someone stole this guitar, I'd never be the same (I'd probably perform some not so legal acts to whoever stole it and end up in prison). I'd buy another for sure, but I'm very sentimental towards the one I have right now. I love The Feeling of picking it up, I love the weighting of it, I love the thickness of the neck...I guess I love just about evrything about it. I had been considering a Fender Stratocaster but settled with the Dot because I felt it was a better guitar for MUCH less money. One thing though is that I wish they came with tremolo bars on them, like a 355 does, but still, it's not hard to put one on yourself. Also, the black pickguard on the black guitar with the 'e' didn't quite cut it for me...so I fixed on a cream pickguard to match the trim. Yet again though that's quite changeable. // 10

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2012

Purchased from: eBay private seller

Features: I have 2 Epiphone Dots... I bought a 2002 Korean made Ebony Dot last October for about $240, and I liked it so much I bought another Dot in November... #2 is a 2010 Chinese version. They are different guitars. The Korean guitars - I think they were made by Samick - it all maple and has a very good smooth and comfortable neck. It has stock Epi pickups. The Chinese Dots are made with mahogany necks and maple bodies. Mine is a Natural and has Gibson HB pickups from a Les Paul - the 490 series - in it. Tuners are standard Grovers on both, TOM bridges and standard fine quality hardware. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of blues and the standard Epi pickups are GREAT for blues and jazz sounds. They are very full and smooth sounding, and get better after I set them up exactly as I wanted with a simple screwdriver. I set up the neck pup first, because I use that for solos most. Then I adjust the bridge pup to match the output, tailor the individual sounds by setting the pole pieces to get the sound best to my ears. The Chinese Dot is a real rock n roll guitar with the Gibson pups and the neck is slightly different, but also very fast and a great player. The Dots are ALL really under rated guitars because they are not expensive... But they are the best bargain out there. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't speak to this because I got them both used. But adjustments are very easy to make. I had NO problems with either except the newer one had a loose jack nut. I ALWAYS check all the screws, etc. On every guitar I buy, new or used and fix what needs fixing. I did adjust the truss rod and bridge on both guitars because I play light gauge strings and I set the intonation and string height a little high because of how I play... a lot of bends. There were NO problems with either guitar... I did buy a hard case for one of them because they are too good to be in a bag. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live any more, but I did for almost 20 years. I have NO problem playing either or both of these Dots live... They are very rugged and simple, and I would not expect any problems with either of them. I played in bar bands from 1963 till 1980, as well as a few recording sessions. I NEVER carried a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Blues, jazzy blues, rock n roll and starting to play jazz. These Dots are near perfect for all of those and you can easily overdrive them to sound really distorted. They are very simple guitars with humbuckers... You can do anything with them that you can with any other HB guitar. Playing since 1962. Love my Dots... I may even get another. // 10

Dot Reviewed by: guitar351, on november 25, 2008

Purchased from: CRP music and recording

Features: it was made in '97, idk where it was made, I think it was usa, maybe korea.There are 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard. I have the cherry finish and it looks amazing when polished, finger prints show easily.It is a double cutaway, semi hollow, witch means there is a maple block running down the center.Tune-O-matic Standard, and passive electronics.2 volume, 2tone, 3 way selector. the tuners are good, but needs better. // 7

Sound: It suits some of my music style, like jazz, blues, classic rock and some lightly distorted things. I am running it through a Vox DA5, until I get a bigger amp. It has a nice, full clean tone, but gets noisy at heavy distortion. There is a lot of tonal variety, and is great for jazz bands and such. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't get it from the factory, so it was set up perfectly.Everything was great, exept for a few small chips, but what can you expect when you buy from a friend? I had to replace the pickup selector, but that was a cheap fix. the wood is great, everyone commenting on how hot it looks. The tuners re good, but locking would always help. This guitar, being pretty old, sat in my room un- air conditioned, and apperently, the wax pot melted, easy fix by my friends at CRP. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand Live playing, and has been to a few gigs with me. The hardware is all solid and will keep on goin for years to come. I would deffinetly gig with a backup, not because of the guitar, buut because I need a different guitar for heavier things. I have staplocks on it, but the factory ones were great. The finish is also good, but would wear off after 20 years of playing, if you still have the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from jazz to blues and metal. it's a great match for the softer spectrum, but not good material for heavier. I have been playing for 4 years, and I own a Yamaha acoustic, my Dot, soon to be another guitar for x- mas; P. If it were lost/stolen, I would get another, but it's pretty hard to lose, seeing as it's almost as big as my acoustic. I just wish it had more frets, but ts a Gibson copy, so what can I expect? Buy it and you wont regret it. Thanks. // 9

Dot Reviewed by: BurnzyRock, on january 19, 2009

Price paid: C$ 649

Purchased from: franks music centre

Features: This particular guitar was made in china, with 22 frets, and a red transparent finish. It has 2 volume dials and 2 toner dials, for the 3-way selector. It has non-locking tuners, and has 2 pickups, though I can't tell the brand. It came with a hardshell case, and the guitar has still held up. // 9

Sound: I myself play lots of genres of music, and this guitar sounds well in all categories. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III 75 amp, with no added affects. It has almost no distortion, with a full sound, although you can't make many different kinds of sound. and, to make it noisy, you have to have the right amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitars action-perfect. The wood is solid and fine, the pickups are perfectly aligned, and the guitar seems to have been perfectly set up at the factory. The controls are solid, and easy to use. When I bought the guitar, I also bought a bottle of guitar cleaner, and that stuff keeps the guitars Shine like new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitars finish is very thick, and seems to last. The strap buttons are very solid and perfectly sized. The hardware lasts, and it will withstand Live playing. I myself would bring a backup, although that's just me. I have dropped it once, the finish held up, and the guitar sounded and looked exactly the same afterward. // 9

Overall Impression: When I was guitar shopping, I had to choose an Epiphone G-400 (SG), an Epiphone Les Paul, and this guitar. I chose this guitar because the Les Paul was quite a bit heavier, and the SG was just not my type. If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely buy this guitar again. Although, maybe in black. // 9

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in Korea, Semi Hollow Body, Transparent Red. Double cutaway. 3 Way Switch etc...Light, and comfortable to play. Deffinatley not a Gibson USA 335, But it Holds its Own. This is the Only Epiphone I own. Had it over 10 years, Still has original pups and Hardware. Sounds good and plays good. Its deffinatley not a Custom Shop guitar, but for the price its a great guitar No complaints, ITs not a Gibson but the build quality is pretty good on this one. // 7

Sound: I play Old 1980's HardcorePunk Rock, Thrash, Oi! and some Rock'A'Billy. I have alot of Highend guitars and this one deffinatley holds its own.Sounds good in all my amps. I use No effects with it. Plugged straight in. Has a Full Variety of tones. Very Versatile for what I play. I've owned ALOT of Guitars. This is a Cheap one and still one of my favorites. Sounds great Distorted or clean. It can be noisy but its a Semi Hollow Body with Gibson USA pups Its to be expected. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Nice action for a cheap guitar. I haveit set up with the Action low and fast.I bought mine used, but it was still in very good condition when I got it. Stays in tune and takes a beating. The finish is nice for a Cheap guitar, Fret is smooth. Stays in tune. Hardware seems to be decent. I've had this for 10 years at least, and had no problems at all with it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've used this playing out ALOT. It stays in tune. Hardware has no problems keeping up with me. Replaced the strap buttons with strap locks. I can depend on this without a back up. I play really hard and aggressive. This thing keeps up and takes a hell of a beating. Always does great and never lets me down. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all this is one of my favorite guitars. Only Epiphone I've owned but I like it. I have or have had Gibson USA's, Fender USA's. Gretsch's, Rickenbackers, Vintage Fenders, Vintage Peaveys etc... It keeps up with them all as far as Playabiity goes. Stays in tune, Sounds good out of the Box with a few minor adjustments and really takes a beating. I keep this one around because its comfortable to play. If it were any nicer I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it to Live Hardcore Punk shows. Cheap enough to not care if it gets a ding, Nice enough to be the first one I grab when going to a gig. // 8

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2011

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: Mine is a 2010 model made in China with the Standard 22 frets, Maple Top, Body and Neck, and Rosewood Fingerboard. It has a beautiful cherry finish that never fades. It has 2 tone selectors, 2 volume selectors, and a three-way pickup selector switch. Oh, and the Grover tuners are freaking amazing. // 9

Sound: I play Blues, Rock, Jazz, and a little country and it has a great tone for Blues, Jazz, and Country, and a pretty good tone for rock. This guitar is extremely versatile and great for pretty much everything, However I got a little annoyed by the lack of output from the pickups and I put some Gibson pickups in recently (Btw if you replace the pickups this guitar has 99% the sound of a Gibson ES-335). The natural sound of the guitar is great overall and the stock pickups are fine unless you're going to be playing studio gigs or at a professional level. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up decently at the factory but it had some problems with intonation so I brought it back to the music shop to get it set up (something I do for all my guitars). They did it for me for free and now it is absolutely perfect. There were absolutely no flaws in anything besides the set-up on the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing during even extended live playing and is extremely solid. I use this all the time for live gigs and I've never to go to my backup unless I break a string. The guitar's finish is like a tank, I've bumped this guitar into all sorts of stuff but it has never broken through to the wood. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for Blues, Jazz, Country, and Rock, and pretty good for hard rock. I actually preferred this over my Gibson LP once I replaced the pickups. If anything ever happens to this guitar I would definitely buy it again, I think it was the best guitar for the price I've ever had. Oh, and I've been playing guitar for 10 years. // 9

Dot Reviewed by: squierstratdave, on june 27, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I believe my Dot was made in 2008 and was made in China. The guitar has a maple body and a mahogany neck, mine has the cherry red finish and everything about it is standard, including the Epiphone USA pickups, The Grover tuners are worth mentioning, I've done 3 gigs on seperate nights in the space of 2 weeks and didn't tune it for any of them, this guitar nearly always stays in tune. The Hard Case was included in 300 price. // 9

Sound: I bought this guitar because I didn't have enough money for the Sheraton II, because in my opinion its a better looking guitar, however sound wise I couldnt ask for a more versitile guitar, I've played it in blues bands and Indie rock bands and also done some Acoustic sets with it and have always been really happy with the tone. I use a Marshall MG100DFX I only have the reverb on and the gain turned up full on the clean channel, I also use a DigiTech digi delay to play music similar to U2 and the Editors and it handles it really well. I started off playing alot of Oasis stuff and I got a really similar tone with just adding distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'll be honest the action was pretty poor when I got it brand new from the factory, I had to get it set up again and I've had problems with some frets buzzing ever since, saying this though I gig with it literally twice a week and it is completely playable, its just still not right for me. Other than the action there really isnt much more to say the finish is imaculate, really simple looking but a really pretty guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Like I said I gig with it all the time and I love it, the strap buttons are safe, I thought when I got it and looked at it that I'd have problems keeping the finish intact but its been great the past 3 years. My only worry is, like a lot of the Epiphone archtops, the pickup selector somtimes just cuts out the sound when you change pickups, this can be embarrasing and I have to keeping flicking between the pickups untill it decides to come back to life, its only happened live twice but its still annoying. // 7

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, I learned to play on an Acoustic guitar and never felt comfortable with electrics but this guitar was great for the change over. Shame about the poor action when I bought it but if I got it properly set up again I'm sure it would be fine, I love the sound this guitar to me is a jack of all trades, you can play it safe, buy one, and play many different genres. I love the way it looks and sounds but that pickup selector does my head in and is always in the back of my mind playing live. To me it sounds just as good as the sheraton, but having said that, if it was stolen I would save up the extra money and buy a Sheraton, only because I think it looks slightly nicer. You can't go wrong soundwise with this guitar. // 8

Dot Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2012

Price paid: A$ 590

Purchased from: Musicians Pro Shop

Features: My Dot was purchased from Musician's Pro Shop in 2009, my Dot is no different from any other Epiphone Dot around. My dot has 22 frets in it's rosewood fingerboard and Mahogany neck, the body is laminated maple with a Vintage sunburst top. The tuners are Grover and the pickups are alnico. Overall its not a really 'frills' kinda guitar but it does it's job well and without defect. However the only things I will say is that the G-string (no innuendo intended) doesn't stay in tune as well as it should, and the cutaway doesn't accommodate long stretches at the highest frets, but apart from that it's a pretty solid guitar. // 9

Sound: Well I as a musician tend to play too many genres ranging from Jazz to Metal (the shred-y stuff) and even some Pop as well (yes Pop is a genre that can be played on the guitar). I hook up my Dot to a Boss GT-10 which then goes through my computer straight to the speakers or my headphones. What I will as about the Dot is that it is a great Vintage sounding guitar in that, it handles and can play the whole myriad of genres pre-dating metal wonderfully. The tone of the guitar is extremely warm and works well with most genres especially blues and fusion jazz. The one major down side to this type of guitar is that it really falters (in my personal opinion) when it encounters and 'hi-gain' setting. But the way I see it is that since this guitar was supposedly to be a tribute to the Vintage sights and sounds of yesteryear that is really a huge problem, plus if you really want something to shred you shouldn't really be looking for an Epiphone. Either way the sound is very good considering the price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar there were no flaws, maybe because it was already set up by the shop, either way my opinion is void. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for a couple of years now, and I really see no reason why I wouldn't be playing this guitar for many years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: If you guys want to buy a starter guitar I would seriously recommend you take a look at the Dot, it's warm, playable and most of all a quality instrument for an affordable price. I love my Epiphone Dot to bits so much so that I will at some point buy a Gibson Dot to play live with just to ensure that I will be as B.B. King once said "...Play this thing to the day I die".

// 10

Dot Reviewed by: shannonbrickn, on july 02, 2014

Price paid: A$ 400

Features: 2009 Chinese Dot. If you're reading this review then you're probably aware they are a double cut semi hollow body electric. Don't mistake this for meaning semi acoustic - it isn't. The hollow wings add to the tone and resonance when plugged in - acoustically this isn't much louder than an unplugged solid body. Purchased new, sight unseen. Everything out of the box was standard and while looking good in ebony, it needed some setup work to sound good too. Finish was impeccable. No accessories included (unless you count a couple of Epiphone plectrums as accessories) and no case. $100 at the LGS sorted the case out though. Pickups are both Epiphone humbuckers.

Non locking Gotoh tuners, tune-o-matic bridge (where is the "matic" part of these bridges?) standard 3 way toggle down by the 2 volume & 2 tone pots. It comes with a "D" shaped neck which is fairly chunky and maybe not for someone to use as their first electric guitar - it may be off putting. For a first timer in this price range get an Epi Les Paul or a Fender Squire anything. The 22 jumbo frets are nice and silky though and with the right setup & strings this guitar plays magnificently. // 8

Sound: I play a base of blues rock moving into jazz and funk. I thought this would be the perfect guitar for this and after a little work I was right. From factory the pickups were garbage. I believe they're the same pickup as used in the neck of the Epi Les Paul Std. Not the neck and bridge, just the neck and the same pup is used in each cavity. A bit cheap and dodgy but an easy fix. I run it through a fender stage amp and run Seymour Duncan pickups and 1950's wiring through various effects when needed. This setup has a warm but bright tone for the rhythm setting and phenomenal sustain on bridge with the tone wound back and a bright setting on the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Sounded ordinary out of the box. Muddy pickups and I just couldn't get it to play right. I have a Gibson ES-335 and this was purchased as a knockabout getting drunk while jamming guitar to save the Gibson from a potentially awful fate. To bring it closer to the Gibson I put on a Bigsby B7 tremolo and swapped out the pickups for a Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB combo. I also changed the wiring from "modern" to "'50s" style to brighten it up a little. After an hour or so resetting the neck, action and intonation I plugged in the guitar and almost wept. For well under $1000 I had a guitar that played and sounded better than my $3000 Gibson. The Epi is now my favourite for gigging and recording. The Gibson is just about a wall hanging now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Tough? It's got a poly skin worthy if a Sherman tank. The overly long headstock concerns me but so far I haven't even scratched it. The hardware is Epi and Gotoh so you'll struggle to fault it, however I did chip the corner off the bass side of the nut by running some super heavy flat wound strings. With regular strings (Ernie Ball FTW) it's no issue - just cosmetic. It came with Epiphones lifetime warranty, although with the mods I've made I'm guessing that will only apply to the neck joint now, which is as solid as a rock. I use this at pub/bar gigs over my Gibson 7 days a week. I do use the gibbo, but most nights it stays in it's case behind the speakers. // 10

Overall Impression: As a factory guitar I would only rate this as a 6. The heavy neck took some time to bond with and it sounded s*** right out of the box. As a base for a brilliant guitar with very minor mods though I'd rate it a 10. The fit & finish of everything is excellent. I'll meet half way. I appreciate that not all people want to make their guitar their own through custom mods and if not, this guitar may not be for you. If you're new to playing buy a Les Paul - the heavy neck on this might put you off playing it for good. Taking that into account, along with how much I love the guitar post-mods, I'll rate it an 8. I really do love this guitar - almost as much as my daughter - but it took time and money to get it right. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014