Dot Deluxe Archtop Review

8.8
reviews (10) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: Gaz_m2k5, on february 27, 2006

Purchased from: Peter Cooks Guitar World

Features: This is definetely a great guitar, well worth the money I paid for it (got it first hand but for a discount). It's got 22 frets which is more than enough, 3-way selector Switch for its two humbuckers. Normally it comes with a nice hard case which has space to store stuff like picks, capo etc. Nice case, has a lock and free! Can't fault the case. The body is quite large. It's also heavier than most guitars becuase its bigger (even though its a hollow body) but I like it. Has strap locks etc everything you'd expect. Dot inlays on the frets of course. The fret sizes are normal, easy to play, I havn't had to change the bridge height or anything. // 7

Sound: Although it has sound holes they are blocked off inside, so this guitar isn't really semi acoustic. It just has a hollow body. Don't get me wrong, the guitar is incredible. Looks great, plays great. The pick ups are quite bassy but its fine if you use the bridge pick ups only. Also the volume knobs don't seem to do much, you can turn it up to 10, but its still pretty much the same volume at 2, and 1 is half volume. It's handy though because at 0 it cuts out, so you can turn the sound off while you take the cable out etc. So you don't get a loud buzz. Overall has great quality sound, bassy pickups and nice tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Plays marvelously. I love it, I haven't had trouble to play anything. Never come across a song where I've needed more frets. Haven't had trouble with playing it at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great. As I've said its heavy so may not be great for jumping around on stage but it's not that heavy. Looks cool too. I might bring a Strat or something to alternate incase but then again most bands bring a back up guitar. Finish is great. At the moment my pickups squeak on high volume and gain, I think it's a fault so I should be able to get it fixed. Guitars never completely broken though. // 6

Overall Impression: Love it! I play Indie music, alternative rock. Had it for 6 months. If I could go back in time I wouldn't choose another guitar. I havn't gigged with it yet, just practised a played for a few people. Love all of it. You won't be dissapointed. // 8

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: blaze2thekings, on june 02, 2008

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, semi-hollow body, honeyburst finish, gold hardware, grover tuners. the stock pickups were pretty decent, but I switched them out eventually, the gold finish on the hardware wears off fast. The input jack kept falling inside the body due stripped threads as did 2 of the pot washers, more annoying than anything else. The grover tuners are very nice and keep it in tune very well. // 6

Sound: I'm more of a classic rock person so it's perfect. I use it through a Vox ad30 and on the Vox models it's a great for cleans. The pickups actually werent noisy at all, only a very low hum. It's great for jazz and rock but probably not your first choice for ripping out crazy numetal solos. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I set it up myself so it's great, I have the action a little high because I like to use a slide a lot with it. The finish looks great cept the binding looks kinda machine made in some spots, small inconsistencies but the maple top looks great. Everything was great except some worn threads on the hardware it's easily replaced. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Once I finished all the minor stuff this thing is great. hopefully it lasts a few years like my les paul, the past few months it's been great. no electrical problems, nothing has come loose, strap buttons are great. I would say this is a dependable guitar, but what can go wrong will go wrong. // 8

Overall Impression: This can't do everything but what it does, it does well. I love it for jazz but I also love classic rock so this thing does both great. It's a great alternative to higher priced semi hollow bodies, and with or without new pickups it'll give a great tone. I think hollowbodies have a great sound so I'd have to have a few in my collection, and this is one of them. // 8

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: ItsJustSound, on november 28, 2008

Features: Mine was hand-crafted in China, then inspected and set-up in the U.S.A., or so the stickers on the back say. Maple 24.75" scale set neck with a rosewood fretboard with 22 medium frets. Body wood is maple with laminated stop. Mine is a flamed Vintage sunburst, which is absolutely beautiful. It's a double cutout Standard 335 body, two F-holes. Tune-o-matic bridge, stop tailpiece, grover tuners. All gold hardware with two '57 Alnico humbucking pickups and a 3 way pickup selector. Two volume and tone knobs. A 1.68" nut and a total weight of 7.5 pounds. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a (gross) Fender 25 watt Frontman and a DigiTech RP250 Multi-Effects Processor. It has a very full, rich sound, especially when played with an acoustic emulator. I've set it up with tube overdrive and distortion, and it makes a good sound up for jazz, blues, country, classic rock, and it even stretches to more modern sounds like Guns and Roses, AC/DC. After about Slash level, this guitar starts to get noisy and sound ugly. Too much distortion ruins the great sound. I'm searching for a guitar that ca handle heavier music, but until then, this is fine. For what it can do, I really love this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar required bridge and neck adjustment from the start, but after a tiny bit of rearranging it was great. Pickups were fine, as well as any other hardware. Finish was great, and still is. The only thing is, even after only a few weeks of play in a moderatly cool, dry environment, the guitar's pickups and bridge started to tarnish, and cheap gold finish came off to reveal silver hardware. The tuners are fine, but anything on the body is becoming less gold and more tarnished without any abuse or bad climate. If I ever start performing, I'll be buying a new guitar for it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is reliable, and is tranported to other people's houses, studios, lessons, and back, all the time. I would have a backup at gigs, as with any guitar, but it seems like it can withstand Live playing of any kind without any problems. Besides the hardware, the finish is perfect. // 8

Overall Impression: It has a great sound and feel. It puts other Epiphones to shame. If it were stolen, or lost, I would buy something else, but only because I've decided I wanted to take a different style choice. It's great, and I recommend buying it as a starter, practice, or studio guitar. // 9

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2005

Features: It's Epiphone's version of the great Gibson 335. This deluxe guitar is handsomely appointed with gold hardware, and features 2 humbuckers and a 24.75" scale set neck. The neck is maple with rosewood fretboard. The body is made of laminated maple. // 10

Sound: The sound suits my style perfectly for blues or even rock, I use two Peavy keyboard amps with a Korg floor pedal, never expierenced any major noise from it when using quality cables. With the diffrent pickup selection you can get a full sound or a very bright sound. Bundled with an effects pedal this thing can make any sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup good by the factor, then better by a guitar center employee, then finaly much better (entonation problems) by a music shop. The pickups are perfect, the finish is beautiful. The bridge is great. The nut needed tightned (no problem). I had to superglue the Epiphone logo back on to the pickguard, I love how large this guitar is. // 10

Overall Impression: Whatever style of music I feel like playing this guitar keeps up with me, I have been played for a little over 4 years. I own two peavy amps (which I prefer my guitar pair with over any Fender amp I have played), a Korg effects pedal, and a few other single effects pedals. I have no regrets on buying it, if it was stolen I would get the exact same guitar (they are cheaper now). I love the sound and size of the body but I wish that the tuners where better. I would compare this guitar easily to the 355 and many expierenced musicians (perviously on tours) who have played it (lessons) have raved over it saying how high quality the entire guitar is out of the box. Maybe one of theese days I'll have a 355 but this guitar is great for now. // 10

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: BluesTiger, on april 14, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I bought it in 2001. Made in Korea. It has 22 frets, I believe Standard frets with a rosewood fretboard over a mahogany neck. It's a thin semi-hollow body similar to an 335 body. Its body is made of laminated maple. Mine is blue with a flame top. It has creme binding on the body. I need a new truss rod cover because mine says Gibson, what an insult. It has gold hardware and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It came with passive pickups. It has two tone and two volume knobs. It's a right handed model. The gold tuners are not locking and I can't tell who made them. I use flat-wound strings, I just like it smooth. It didn't come with a case so I had to order it with a hard-shell case. // 7

Sound: The humbuckers lasted only a year o so. I laid down some serious cash for a set of Gibson Burst Bucker Pros in Gold to match. Wow! This is my baby and how! It looks better, sounds better, and feels better than the Gibson. Gibson was not available in blue. I play it on a Fender Twin Amp usually at the quarter setting since the new pickups are hot I don't want to wake the dead. I can play at any volume without any noise. I use a mogami cable. I play it at my local church and the sounds are incredible. I can play bluesy or rockish and I can go for sweet clean bell like tones when needed or called upon. The sound can be full and thick or mellow with a sweet simple tone, I can't explain it, but you have to hear it. I usually will ad my Korg Pandora PX4 for a desired effect when needed and I have added an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. I use the tube-screamer with a little gain to push the 100 watts at low volume to get a broader growl without waking up the whole dog pound. I also use the tub-screamer with a lot of gain set at the 25 watts on my amp to get outrageous distortion at a brain-shaking but not brain-cooking volume. All this at church. Maybe not your church, but you should check us out having church. God is real and we praise him with real praise and real loud. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up back then was not the best. I lowered the action and had the nut replaced with a graphite nut after the plastic one it came with broke. The pickups were set up alright but they didn't last. The fit and finish was and is superb for a $400 guitar. My guitar still draws much attention. Since it doesn't say expensive Gibson on the neck, people always ask because they think I must be using some complicated set-up to get the tone it has. They are basically shocked and scratch their heads wondering why their 335 in basic burgundy make a $2400 hole in their wallets and can't compete with my bonnie blue. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I baby my guitar, it will last because she has a good owner. Let me say this, I don't care Who made it or where is came from, YOU have to take care of your tools or your tools will let you down. Everything on my blue is tight. I very often use it exclusively. The pick ups let me down and so I put them down. Since the upgrade, no problems. I recommend the burst-bucker pros. My total investment was around $800. Guitar (400) new pickups (300) and 100 for installation. This is still a bargain from the $2400 Gibson. My tech told me that he dropped Gibson as an authorized technician because they have lost a few steps in quality and don't pay him. He agreed that people can pay more but they won't get more, just a name. Get out there and play it loud. // 9

Overall Impression: In my practice time I play some blues or rock to keep my fingers limber and let bonnie blue breath. I have been playing for about seven years. I also own a Fender Strat and I will use a Marshall G15RCD at home for practice. If Bonnie were stolen, there would be a prayer sent to God to have the thief rot in hell for separating my baby from her sugar daddy. She is not replaceable. Only a PRS Custom 24 with all the bells and whistles could possibly assuage my grief. Can you tell that I love her? She makes me growl like a blue tiger. There is no better guitar at this price. A few improvements and you have a guitar for life! // 10

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Well, just Standard statistics for my guitar. Made in China (not Korea like some Epiphones). 22 frets - rosewood fretboard. Body and neck are maple. Semi-hollw body (solid down the center), regular Grover tuners, Nut: 1.68", Scale: 24.75". Two 57' Classic pickups (Epiphone)- each has volume and tone control, 3 way selector (rhythm, treble, both), Tune-o-matic bridge, Maple Flametop color. I also have Epiphone's ES-335 style case, and that works nicely with the guitar. Really high quality case. The guitar has all of the features I need. // 10

Sound: The guitar sounds good. Period. For the price, this is most likely the best tone you can possibly get. I did alot of research and comparison before getting this Epiphone. The body meshes with the sound - the pickups aren't the best, but they're really pretty close to it. Depending on what effects or distortions you add to the signal, it will sound almost the same as a Gibson to the casual listener. Right now I use it through a Line 6 Spider IV 75W, though I have played it though a Marshall (JCM), and it still sounds fine. With Line 6, there are alot of effects that you can add on, and the guitar sounds works well cooperatively with them. Being a semi-hollow, it's really versatile. The only thing it won't get you is the deep metal. If you wanted that you'd probably be headed the EMG way anyways. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar (out of box) the action was actually a little low. With just a bit of adjustment, it will work smoothly. The pickup placement was fine, but you can adjust that to suit your needs. The guitar has held up well. The thing looks just stellar. My only complaint with the guitar is that the frets were really rough and had friction to them when I first got it. Since then though, that has gradually worn away and now plays cleanly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Being a semi-hollow, you'd think that you would need to be really careful when handling it, which I am. However, I have a feeling that the guitar can handle what you throw at it. The body is built like a tank, the strap buttons are firm. I've played with it live many times, and only once had a problem with it functionally. The actual output jack got really loose, but I was later able to tighten it, and it hasn't bugged me at all since. There is the issue of the gold finish wearing off the hardware, but that's going to happen, and its not extremely obvious, it's only where you'd rest your hand on the bridge. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been into music since I was 7 (now 18). Though I do alot of piano/keys work, I've been playing guitar for about 7 years. This guitar answers the call for inexpensive, quality tone. The appearance is awesome, and the playability and sound make it legit. If I went back, I'd get this guitar again. If this is what you're looking for, this is what you want! // 10

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: DrewMeyer, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Up for inspection is a 2006 MIC Dot Deluxe Semi-hollow body from Epiphone. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. The body is maple with a beautiful flamed top. It is a semi-hollow so it has a mahogany block running through the length of the body, and it has the classic tune-o-matic stoptail combo. Passive Alnico pickups, both humbuckers, and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. I bought it used and the guy threw in an HSC along with it, so that was pretty helpful. Not a lot of features, but what else do you need from a guitar? // 8

Sound: I play mostly Black Keys and John Mayer, and it fits one of those styles perfectly. I run through a TS9 and a Vintage Little Big Muff and then to a Blackheart Little Giant Stack. With the muff I can recreate Dan Auerbach's (Black Keys) tone pretty much spot on because of the humbuckers and semi-hollow guitar, but John's tone isn't as easy to get. Because John uses Strats with single coils and a million different pedals it is a bit harder to get his tone, but I've gotten pretty close. The stock pickups are pretty good, the bridge gives a good crunchy rock sound even without OD, and the neck gives a smooth clean tone without sounding muddy, but they aren't quite the tone I'm looking for. Overall a good sound for the $200 I paid. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought it used from a guy who owned a lot of guitars and knew what he was doing, it was set up near perfectly when I got it. The action was exactly where I wanted and the frets were perfect. The only problem was the knobs were loose becuase the washers underneath of them were not tightened all the way, but that was an easy fix. The back of the neck was coated in poly, so I sanded it down to the bare wood, and it plays like a dream now. Overall, it doesn't feel like everyone says an Epiphone does. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, despite being semi-hollow, can withstand abuse. It was accidentaly dropped headstock first into tile and then crashed into the ground and it was still in tune when I picked it up. Not a crack or dent to be seen, and it still is completely sturdy now. Also, it just turned 5 years old this november, and it looks pretty much brand new. The gold hardware is still gold, despite what everyone says, and the neck is completely straight. So unlike what everyone says, a good Epiphone is very reliable and will last you quite a long time. I would definitely gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for. Beautiful finish and everything sounds just like I want. Overall I would buy it again if it were lost or stolen. // 10

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2006

Features: With two humbuckers and a beautiful body this guitar is a gem, the holow body ads to the look and size of this guitar. While being quite large its perfect for me, even at a bit over six feet tall a Fender just seems like a toy after playing this giant. The stock tuners gave me a little trouble but after replacing with some Planet Waves it seems flawless. When it was setup in the store it had some issues (which I belive where caused by the tuners) but now it's doing good. // 9

Sound: I tend to play anything from normaly acoustic music to blues to Nirvana to surf style songs. It's the most verstial thing I've ever used, with two Peavy keyboard amps and a Korg effects pedal the sound possibilities are, after three years, endless. The volume knob doesnt do much except now its starting to make noise when I turn it but I'm sure some spray could clean the contacts. You can get a rich sound, a full sound, a bright sound, anything you want from this guitar. Bypassing all effects gives a beautiful tone on all amps that I've used. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was alright and as stated before had tuner issues. After spending 30 bucks at a local music shop it became perfect. The action is better than great for a guitar of this size which the body is perfect with no flaws on the body. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will and has withstood live sessions and I have a good feeling it will last me the rest of my life. Backup strings are the only thing I would bring for this guitar especialy with after factory tuners on it. Now that three years have gone by the guitar is still in almost perfect condition (a few very minor sratches) with the finish staying perfect. Although the pot's may be dieing out on me I'm sure a spray will fix it. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing a large varity of styles this guitar has suited me for all of them so far. Although I've only been playing for 4 years this guitar has grown on me and still keeps me satisfied. One of these day's ill replace is with a real Gibson but that one be for years and years to some, I couldn't play without this guitar and if I had to go back I would buy it in a second. Straplocks seem to be a necessity for this guitar (so heavy) and you need a comfortable strap. Thin straps for Strats or other guitars are painful after a song or two. I wish the factory tuners would have been better but that's all that could have improved over this guitar. // 10

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: Tomamo5, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I love this guitar. I got mine in black and it looks pretty stunning. I got my Epiphone Dot from Sound Control at a discount which was pretty awesome and it came with a free hardcase which has locks, space to keep your picks and stuff and it looks nice. Compared to my Fender, it is quite heavy and when you put in the hardcase, it'll be difficult to carry round everywhere with it. It's got 22 frets which is plenty for me and has all you would expect from it, strap holders, 2 humbuckers, 4 control knobs (including volume) and a three way selector etc. It is a hollowbody guitar, it has normal fret markers, and the fret board is relatively easy to play. // 8

Sound: I like to play everything really. Experiment but I'd usually just like to play the usual rock, punk rock, punk-pop (quite a lot of Blink 182), alternative rock, Indie etc. At the moment I'm using a G215RCD Marshall. I haven't played too many guitars as I only have my Fender and this Epiphone but I noticed it's considerably more chunkier the sound, at least for the distortion anyway. The sound quality is brilliant everytime I pick up this guitar, and it suits pretty much most of all the things I usually play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is pretty much almost perfect for me. The control knobs on the guitar aren't the greatest but that's about it for me. Also I get fingermarks on it too easily cause it's shiny. I've been trying to look for a flaw with the paint job but I found nothing. there's the slight scratch on the pick guitar but I think I made that so. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Guitar is brilliant. I haven't played it Live yet but I think it could probably withstand some bumping. It's a bit too heavy for properr punk style jumpimh about though lmao. But it's good enough for me. I think I can depend on it. I'll still probably bring my Fender as a backup, even though I doubt this will mess up a show. The finish is good enough to last, it hasn't shown any sign of wearing off yet. // 8

Overall Impression: I said my style of music above and it matches with all of the styles I play. It can do a good heavy distortion sound + a good clean sound so I'm impressed. I've had this since October, I got it for my birthday and as well as my Marshall, I use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. I had a half an hour go on this guitar before I bought it and it played like a dream back then, and it still does. If this guitar got lost (doubt it) there's a chance I'll buy it again but I always like to try different things so what I love is that after playing on my Fender for such a long time, then getting this, it's just feels completely different and I love it. I chose this guitar because I just thought it looked pretty awesome and shiny in black and I don't regret buying it. // 9

Dot Deluxe Archtop Reviewed by: geekcody, on april 02, 2009

Features: My Dot Deluxe Archtop was made in 2000 I believe in the usa it has 22 frets with mediam frets made of rosewood. It's body is laminated maple, witch is a flametop but is a darker style. The body stle is a hollow body the bridge is a tune-o-matic. It's hollowbody so it's electric and alittle of acustic. Included with a 3 way selector and 4 knobs 2 for tone and 2 for volume.the pick ups are classic 57' alnico humbuckers. Not sure what machine heads they are; no name at all only gold(the finish of the guitar is gold). And there locking though. Came with a hard shell case that is fitted only for the Dot, and is formed around it. // 9

Sound: It goes really great with blues and screams when you do lead. It suit's my music which is really everything. The amp I use it with is a 300 watt Peavey amp that is hugh about 3 feet tall. And it sounds great. I have a POD and I use all the effects.sounds great at the Acoustic setting. And very clear. With a bright sound. Lots of varietyevery sound really great lead, of finerpicking or any thing it's really good with everything. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is "good" and doesn't buzz really anymore but at fist I didn't like it. The pickups werent adjusted that well so I adjusted them. The only flaws in the guitar were thehard ware and the bracets that hold up the pickguard were rusted and still are so I'm getting new ones. The controles were loose so when I turned one knob all of them turned? So I fixxed it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand Live playing I've played it in a gig in wisconsin and it was good. The hardware I need more beacuse it's loose and rusty. Srap buttons don't stay solid for that long.yes I can depend on it and I would use it on a gig without a back up. Lol the fisnish is thick and will last and has lasted. // 6

Overall Impression: I play all music and it suit's me very well. I've been playing for 2 years and I can play about 350 songs and I'm the best in my school. I would of asked if they could tighten everything and fora long warrenttee. I'd get something else because I want to try new things. If it were stolen I would freakout. I love the body of all because it's very nice. I hate that the fret inlays are just dots and not even real mother pearl I want bar inlays.my favirote feature is the body. I choose this guitar beacuse I liked the sound and when I saw it it was love at first sight beacuse it is sexy. I wish it had bar inlays grover tunner heads, re- wireing, a new trass rod cover, knobs, Switch knobs, pickups. I'm getting them soon. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014