Dot Studio Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 02/27/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Dot Studio
Epiphone's Dot brings new looks, new functionality and new affordability to Epi's wide array of semi-hollow body electric guitars.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.9
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 8.2
 7.7
reviews (10) pictures (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: A closet GN'R fan I started learning some of Slash's licks but decided with my chunky hands that rhythm was the way for me. A jazz guitar by nature, the Dot appeared on paper to be ideal for my blues/jazz/acoustic favourings. I initially played predominantly acoustic based songs and so purchased a Marshall AS50-R acoustic amp in the spring. It appears that by sheer dumb-luck I had bought the perfect amp for the Dot. The Marshall really displays the full potential of the rhythm pick-ups up this guitar. Unbelieveably bassy and mellow toned, I've only heard a Riviera that can match it. It still cuts muster with treble settings but the rhythm will rock your socks off. For a relitively low-priced guitar it will make a mockery of 10w amp. It shines through larger and richer toned amps and never stumbles into crackling hisses like other guitars can. Perfect for jazz/blues rock/country/acoustic (apparently more acoustic sounding than a takamine semi) and even when the distortion is cranked up this guitar can still handle it. Granted there are better guitars for this but the Dot will not upset. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was surprised at how good the action was on my guitar. Strings here (as always are essential). I suggest 10's and a relitavely low action for easy accessability to the frets nearer the nut. The pick-ups are as good as Gibson equivalents in my opinion. There were some minor dinks in the finish and the binding was excellent apart from one minor defect. The finish is also prone to chipping and as it is a hollow-body it is slightly less forgiving to brash treatment and won't bounce if dropped. I can already see the "E" logo starting to peel off the scratchplate but that can be glued on. A plastic nut may also prove tricky with time but can be cheaply replaced. The neck is very good and comfortable and all the tone knobs and the pickup selctor were in fine working order although I have played some with clunky pickup selectors so try-before-you-buy. I wasn't a fan of the Vintage Sunburst finish but I was won over by the sound. It grows on you anyway, but I would have prefered a red or ebony one. Although the wood is visible and looks impressive. // 8

Overall Impression: After being addicted to impulse buying of several "cheap and good-looking" guitars from online I soon decided to save up for a change and buy quality. I wasn't disappointed either. This is one of few guitars that you can finger-pick, strum, have disorted or play in a coffee shop. A true all-rounder for a fraction of the price of a Gibson ES-335. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another but only after playing it first (I would also probably get a red one). With much competition in the hollow-body market and a revival in popularity, the Dot still stands out as an affordable guitar that wills till put a smile on your face. I would give it a 5 but nothing's perfect. // 8

Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Mine had a made in china sticker and it is new. It has 22 frets. Solid top. 2 volume 2 tone. Hickups were 59 classics 2 humbuckers. Passive electronics. Body is mahogany and neck is maple with rosewood fingerboard. Finish is a transparent cherry. Double cutaway. Tune-o-matic bridge with stop tailpiece. Non-locking grover tuners and a rounded maple neck. // 10

Sound: It is good for my styles, blues, rock, jazz, and alt rock. I use it through a monster cable on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Clean it is somewhat muddy on the neck pickup and it is crystal clean on the treble pickup. Crank up the distortion and it still retains a rich and full sound and dosent lose its shape. It is a very quiet guitar and dosent make much noise. I love it except the bass is boomy on the neck pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low but ot did not buzz. It was perfectly set up. The pickups needed no adjusting and the bridge was perfectly placed atop the body. Absoulutly no flaws in the finish, it was a perfectly even coat. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes this guitar is gig-worthy, an the hardware is very stable. The finish won't wear off cuz its solid. the strap buttons don't wiggle around and I can depend on this guitar to come up with all that I need and it fits my style perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, jazz, and alt rock. I have been playing for 2 years and I also own a Squier Strat and a hot Rod Deluxe amp. I use a Vox wah-wah and a Boss DS-1 for gigs. No questions when I bought it, I loved it when I first picked it up. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again, or if I had loads of money I would get the Gibson ES-335. I love everything o it and it is just a perfect guitar. This guitar was compared to a Ibanez artcore of the same style and this one won because of the pickups, wood, and quality. The only thing I wish it has is a higher gear ratio on the tuners. This guitar is for the one who lusts after a Gibson ES-335 but lacks a 1000 bucks. // 10

Dot Studio Reviewed by: milk_can, on august 19, 2004

Features: This guitar could withstand live playing, havn't tried to gig with it yet. This guitar will last for a while with much maintenence I believe, the finish is alright, it's all red with black binding on the body but could wear off if played with constantly. The strap buttons were good though locking might work better, the head seems to be kinda heavy, when played standing up the head seems to slide down ward unlike a Strat. I could depend on it because I don't really take it to the limits and it seems like you can play this without a backup. Pretty reliable. // 8

Sound: My style is punk rock, alternative with clean jamming. I run this thorough a Digitech RP 200 and out of a set of PC Speakers (plan on buying a Line 6 Spider 75 watt next month), I use Dean Markley's 10s because the original strings suck. The pickups are not noisy, probably cause I use the soundgate. The sound on the bridge is quite muddy when played clean, a little too bassy. On the middle setting it's great for a clean channel amp to bust a few open chords on. Havn't really used the neck pickup much but it sounds really bright and sorta dullish, good I guess for rythem. The guitar can make a variety of good clean sounds when played with the right amps I might say, but when played with distortion, the bridge pickup is really dirty sounds good. Makes palm muting awsome. I like it a lot. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I play punk rock and this guitar sounds good that. Offers plenty of versitility. I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, I traded a Squier Affinity Strat for this, was only worth 45 bucks but it was alright. I should have tested all the frets first and wished I could have put a strap on just to see how it fits. I like the humbuckers on this thing, sounds a lot better than the singlecoils on the Squier. What I dislike are the high action and the lack of fret mark inlays. I didn't compare this to another guitar, just went in and put it on layaway. This is my review and I hope it helps you make a good decision before buying this. // 8

Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Purchased from: BillyHyde Blackburn

Features: This is a Epi Dot and it's made in China. It has 22 frets, and a Rosewood neck. The body style is a double cutaway. Passive electronics. It has 2 Volume Knobs and 2 Tone and 1, 3 way selector Switch. Each pickup has it's own tone and volume, and when this guitar is used in the 'middle setting', you can dial in various tones. The pickups are 2 standard humbuckers. It did not come with any other accesories as I bought it straight off the shelf. // 8

Sound: I play punk/rock/classic rock/ and classic metal. This guitar suits the punk scene very well and classic rock, and a nice 'dark' sound when metal is played and the right settings are used. Also Blues sounds really good on this guitar. I am currently running it through a really-misreable Fender Frontman 15G amp, but it sounds much louder than 15 watts. And with this guitar it sounds even stronger. Ithas a massive variety in sounds, and with the correct amp, you might even achieve that 'perfect' sound! The neck pickup is quite muddy and has a deep growl, pickup suiting Marilyn Manson style music. However, the treble pickup (bridge) is you can't really describe it. It kicks ass! The clarity is amazing when played through a clean sound, and it sounds extremely good when played dirty. Palm-muting with this pickup makes the guitar sound like a dream. And when both pickups are combined, the guitar achieves a new high, which is if you dial in the right settings, you'll get a really good sound. It obtains the best from both worlds. For me I use just a little bit of neck pickup for more bass, and a lot of the bridge pickup for that charming 'noise' it makes. However the pickups do sound really good, it stops at a certian level and leaves you wishing for just a little bit more. It sounds amazing anyway. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came fine from the factory, and the action was good, but not the high action. Most of the guitar came fine with everything how it sould, but since my guitar came back home on a bumpy ride, the bridge pickup is a bit loose as all of a sudden it 'dims' down. But that is just my guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so strong it can withstand anything, you can jump around on stage with it, gives the strings a thrashing, and more just as long as you don't push it. Throwing it down the stairs or dropping it would probably stuf it up but I'm not sure as I don't want to try doing that. The hardware is perfect and seems like it will last, but the pickups just don't satisfy me. I'm replacing the bridge pickup with a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup (remind you of Blink 182 anyone?) to get that overdriven to the extreme sound. I would, like with any of my guitars use it with a backup, but rarely. In fact most likely not. But for all my guitars if I gig with it I would always use a backup, regardless the guitar or strength of it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before I play lots of punk/classic rock/ and metal, and this guitar appearance suits punk and classic rock, but the sound suits them all. I've been playing for 8 months, but I sound as if I've been playing for 1 1/2 years. I own a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a Squier Strat Affinity, and a Valencia TC-40 nylon string acoustic guitar, and another cheap Stella nylon acoustic which I got for $10 from an 'OP' shop. Out of my electrics, this one certianly kicks the Strat's as$, but I only keep the Epi in standard E tuning and the other ine on D/C tunings. The sound of this guitar is amazing, everything is good. I don; t regret nothing by buying this as I asked a lot of questions at the start. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it and bash him for taking it, but if I could'nt get it back, the theif would have stolen an extremely good guitar, and I would sulk until I cound buy another one. This is a nice 'economy' version of the Gibson ES-335 (which is around $3,000 AUS), which is my dream guitar. My favorite feature would be the bridge pickup, and the classic 'F' holes on each side of the guitar as I can spend hours staring into them. I compared it to the Strat and, it the Epi wins by around 100%. I wish it did have Dirty Fingers pickup in them, but time will let me accomplish that apart from that, the whole guitar rocks, and if you do decide to buy it, you will not waste your money. The minute I saw thid guitar I fell in love with it instantly, and looks nice with an ebony color. This guitar is perfection to the extreme. // 10

Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2005

Features: So this is a semi-hollow model based heavily on the Gibson version, the ES-335. Mine is a cherry red finish, which is awesome, with 2 covered humbuckers that are three way switchable. Each humbucker also has its own tone and volume knob (4 in all). A nice addition on mine was the grover tuners, which are very nice. // 8

Sound: The sound is the trademark of this guitar, after looking at teles and being annoyed by there 'twang' I was very impressed by the incredible versatility of this guitar. You can put it in one setting and have a perfect rhythmn guitar, and flip a couple knobs and you have a soloing beast. The humbuckers are great, not very noisy at all, but then again its not a Gibson, but for the money who cares? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall, I had a hard time finding faults with this guitar. I bought it at guitar center, and they had it in the back so I was the first person to ever touch it. The finish I got was red, with chrome parts. As of yet, I haven't found anything loose, seems like a pretty solid machine. The action is perfectly set up for me, but then again thats a personal thing. The only complaint, and a petty one, is the strings it comes with, they are alright but I will probably replace them. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, I haven't used it in any live performances but I would imagine it would hold up. The thing rocks and I look forward to the first time I get to play it in front of people. Some people may not like the hollow body design because it is much wider than a lot of guitars, so you have to be careful not to bang it on stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: I own a Martin acoustic-electric and a Squier Strat, the Strat just wasn't getting the job done so I had to upgrade. It's hard to classify what type of music I play, its mostly "roots rock" or "alt-country" but I really love everything from Led Zeppelin to The Wallflowers. This makes this guitar perfect. It can do everything and do it well. When buying I was looking at this, Fender Strat or Tele, and an Epi Les Paul, but this just seemed to be better. The Fenders sounded too country, and the les paul seemed to be locked into rock mode, while the dot could pull of everything. If it were stolen I would not only buy another, but I would hunt down the person who took it, it's just that good. // 10

Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2005

Purchased from: North Wales Shop

Features: It is a semi-hollow body guitar. The neck seems to be quite thick to compare with my Squire Strat, so beware if you are used to these type of guitars. The back of the neck has a glossy finish to it, so fingerwork is slower to compare with the Strat. I would strongly suggest that you spend a good deal of time trying this guitar out before making a purchase. I was impressed by the tuners (Grover), which keep it in tune for a very long time. The pickups are very weak! // 6

Sound: I play music with a lot of distortion (punk, rock etc). The pickups are too weak for this kind of music, so you better adjust them or change them altogether. Alternatively, use an effects pedal to get extra punch. On a clean channel, the sound is quite bassey and not as twangy as I would like (then again, it's not a Strat or Tele). // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very high, and it takes time to get used to. The tone and volume knobs were of poor quality (not a good circle from a long shot), and the pickup selector Switch was loose. Other than that, the external of the guitar was spot on. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels very frail, one drop and it would be game over. This is mostly due to it being a semi hollow body. The finish will last ok. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it is a very average guitar, I expected better for the price I paid. The hardware for the guitar is very cheap. My Squire Strat has a JB humbucker in the bridge and it blows this guitar away on both clean and dirty channels. If you are going to buy it, make sure that you thoroughly test it out first. // 6

Dot Studio Reviewed by: Fender_punk, on november 10, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I belive this guitar was made over in asia somewhere. It was set up in the USA. It has 21 frets on a rosewood fretboard. There are no dots or anyhting marking the fret board which is kind of ironic concidering this uitar was named after the dots on the fretboard. It's a semi-hollowbody and it is tomato red with black hardware and binding. It's got the traditional Gibson style tune-o-matic bridge. 3-way switch and one tone and one volume. It came with 2 exposed Epiphone hums. Tuners are standard Epiphone ones and are black. // 9

Sound: Well one of the first things I did was replace the stock bridge pickup with a Duncan detonator. And now I am replacing that pickup with an active EMG 81 so that should have a sweet sound. I'm probably the only person with an 81 in a hollowbody. I play it through a B-52 at-100 head and a Fender cab and it sounds great, even the stock pickups were pretty good. I play mostly punk rock through the bridge pickup but I played through a Fender Twin on the neck and mid to try to get an acoustic sound and it sounded pretty good. It gets a good sound for anyhting. It's hollowbodyness makes it a good tradtional guitar for country or just random chordy type music but it makes a rad punk/metal/distortion sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used and was a huge mistake in a way. The person who had it before me had screwed around with the truss rod (I know this because the little truss road cover thing had been screwed in wrong) and it got pretty ridiculous fret buzz. I took off the little plastic thing on the end of the fretboard where the headstock was and but a little piece of wood under it to raise it a bit, and then I adjusted the truss rod. It's a set neck so I was pretty scared but it worked fine. It still gets fret buzz but it's what you'd expect out of a guitar in the pricerange. Another problem was the actual frets. The 19th or 20th fret was sticking up a bit at the bottom. My string got stuck under it at a show. I started a guitar solo and everything on that string was coming out as the same high pictched note. The note was certainly not in the same key as the song and it sounded horrible. I'm not the only person I've heard of talking about this on a Dot Studio. however all of the problems except the fret messing up were not because epeiphone built a bad guitar. They were ebcause the original owner had no idea what they were doing. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I played this guitar Live for about half a year and it's seen many shows, many guitar jumps, I even managed to do a few guitar swings with it which is ridiculous because of it's size. I love it. It's completely durable, allthough I wouldn't play any guitar without a backup (string breaking etc) the finish is good although the guitar has been "punk rocked" (plastered in stickers). // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is sweet. It's really big though so if your into jumping around and all that like me, make sure you can handle it. The other guitarist in my band played a standard Epiphone dot. I much perfered mine over his (his was sweet too). Also if your still enw or your just learning guitar, I wouldn't suggest this one ebcause there are no dots on the fret board and I know when I was learning, I sued these a lot. // 9

Dot Studio Reviewed by: Weybl Himself, on december 19, 2006

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: 2006 made in China (as all Epis are). Has a 22 fret (medium/jumbo I think) rosewood fingerboard on a mahogany neck. Body is all maple. The one I got is Alpine White with black binding, neck is also painted white on the back. It's basically a stripped back 335 body, offering just a master tone and volume rather than the individual ones offered on the 335s and the Standard 3-way toggle pickup selector. Has the Standard Stop-bar/TOM bridge setup you'd expect from a 335 style guitar and is equipped with 2 open-coil humbuckers (bridge position pickup has a slightly higher output for extra bite). No accessories included with the guitar, I just bought myself a hard case for a bit extra. // 7

Sound: The sound is surprising, I picked up one of these expecting a lot of warmth, bottom end for days and not much in the way of crunch when overdriven. Although you will get a lot of warmth on the neck pickup or in the middle position, when you flick it to thr bridge, suddenly all these upper harmonics jump out and there's all this edge that just doesn't fit what you'd expect from a hollow-body. I played about 3 or 4 of these before settling on the White one I wound up buying (always the best thing to do for production line guitars) but all of them had much the same sound, just different feels. The pickups on this thing are the real surprise, I got it just to have a hollow-body in the collection for recording or to use with other bands (I'm a studio engineer) if they don't have decent clean sounding guitars, but the Epi pups in the Dot Studio sound remarkable like an old Gibson PAF, a little dirtier and not as smooth, but damn close for a cheap axe. The result is a really nice balance, as I've said the cleans are beautiful, in all positions. But when you kick in the overdrive, it really shows what it can do. In the neck position it's great for smooth, singing leads, and in the bridge it crunches away, sounding surprisingly mean. I wouldn't try to use this for anything heavier than my own bands music, sort of melodic hard rock. It'll go as hard as My Chemical Romance/AFI, but no further, definately not a metal guitar by any stretch of the imagination. As with all hollowbodies, you need to watch out for feedback, but it's pretty good in this regard, not too noisy either, even with a nice dose of overdrive. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup on Epiphones is always a little questionable, but after playing a few of Dot Studios, the one I bought was the one that needed the least tweaking. The action was almost spot on (a little low) and intonation wasn't too far off either. Pickups were more or less right and needed very little adjustment. The finish has proven pretty resilient, not wearing away much at all even after a lot of playing and a fair few gigs. The only gripe I had with the setup was the cutting og the nut, I use .10-.52 strings and the grooves were just a bit too narrow, but that was easily fixed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far this guitar has held up extremely well for live playing, you use a D'Addario locking strap to save having to replace the strap buttons with straplocks (cheaper too) and so far they are rock solid which is important considering hollow-bodies don't bounce like their solid counterparts. The hardware is anchored and there to stay, although the black paint on the saddles is slowly wearing off from palm muting and such. I would never ever gig without a backup but so far I've only had to use my backup once with this guitar and that was due to a broken string. The finish is pretty good as I've said, and so far it hasn't worn away from what I can see, there are a couple of chips in it though but that's just due to the rough & tumble of Live playing. Overall, this guitar is extremely solid for the price. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've said I play melodic hard rock (www.myspace.com/stealingglimpses for a look at the sound) and this guitar does it very nicely indeed. I've used it with bands I've worked with and it's covered sounds from jazz, to prog-rock to emo and a fair few other styles. Just don't try to use ot for metal. I'm currently running it through a JCM2000 combo that's on loan to me from a friend until I can put together my own amp rig (I have expensive taste these days) and it sounds pretty damn good. The cleans through my old Fender FM65R sound nice and bright and in the 8 years I've been playing it's one of the most versatile guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. The greatest fear I have for this guitar is damaging it, so I'm kind of babying it compared to my other guitars, but if it did go missing, get stolen or get damaged beyond repait, I'd most likely go out and hunt down another one. One thing I do plan on changing is the location of the pickup selector to a more Les Paul style location, just for easy switching and I love the crunch and definition of the bridge pickup (although that will most likely be changed soon to my usual PAF Pro). I compared it to a couple of other Epiphone hollow-bodies and a one or two Yamahas and it really came up trumps as far as bang for your buck goes, definately a winner in my opinion. // 8

Dot Studio Reviewed by: Bmace15, on december 26, 2007

Sound: It is a pretty decent sounding guitar. It is fairly versatile as far as music styles go, but definitely was built for playing the blues. I have been playing guitar for 3 years now and I am into blues and rock, so this guitar is perfect for the intermediate guitarist Who is looking for a guitar in the 200- 700 dollar price range. When I play it I use a Vox amp and a clean setting. It is a semi-hollow body therefore it has a rich deep sound. It is only so so as far as the amount of "sounds" it can make, but is great for blues and rock. Definitely not a choice for the metal guitarist. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the action for only paying 300 dollars. The pickups were adjusted properly. Besides having a loose input the guitar doesn't contain any flaws. The finish looks like it might be prone to chipping, but as all hollow bodies you have to be careful with it because it is not as dense. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I play at churches in Michigan, and it has held up perfectly so far. I am a little concerned about the input. It continues to come loose no matter how much I tighten it. The strap buttons are very solid, but I don't like the placement of the top one because it is on the back side of the guitar and is quite inconvenient. It is a dependable and I would and have used it on a gig without a back up. The finish is thin and because it does not have a pick guard it is starting to chip a little where the pick guard should be. // 7

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock and this guitar is a perfect match for me. I have been playing for 3 years and I currently own a 1964 Fender concert, a Martin acoustic, a Epiphone Dot Studio, and an Epiphone Les Paul. If it was stolen I would absolutely buy another. I love the rich twang blues feel it has. I don't like the fact that I need to re-tighten the input every week or so. My favorite feature is the dual humbuckers and the pickup selector. I spent around 3 hours at guitar center trying out different guitars, and I tried the Gibson equivalent and quite frankly I think that the Epiphone sounds better, but that is just my opinion. // 7

Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2009

Purchased from: DSAP Bath

Features: The Dot Studio is a semi-hollow electric guitar based on the old Gibson ES-333. Sporting two unbranded pick-ups, a single tone, a single volume, 3-way Switch and Standard bridge and tailpiece, it is a solid guitar with excellent features for the money paid. All hardware is black chrome, rich is rare for guitars in the lower price ranges. // 8

Sound: I play punk and ska and it surprised me that it could pull these two genres off very well. I bought this guitar on impulse, without trying it first, and it pleased me to find it was a quality guitar. I use a Marshall TSL60 head through a Marshall 1960 cab, and the Dot Studio complements these very well. It's clean tone is deeper than my Fender 70's Strat and with well driven distortion, it's tone stands up very well, comparable to my Gibson LP studio with SD invader pick-ups. I did however find that there was not enough difference in tone when switching between the neck pickup and both pickups together. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well, and held it's own in the first few gigs I used it for. I did have a problem with tuning for a while on the high E, but this eased up after use. I replaced the bridge with a Gotah model, but this was personal choice and something I do with all my low end guitars. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is well built and took quite a beating on the Live circuit with me. The hardware is still going strong. The only flaw I came across was the jack socket coming loose and falling into the body. This guitar doesn't have any access plates so I had to fish it out through the F holes in the guitar, which is quite annoying. I would feel comfortable playing a small gig without a backup with this guitar, however it is not my first choice at the moment. // 8

Overall Impression: Playing punk/ska, the Dot Studio isn't an obvious choice, however it has shown it can handle anything you throw at it. I've been playing 9 years and had over 15 guitars, this would certainly make my top 5. If it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a new one at that price as it is an excellant guitar at such a cheap price point. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014