Elitist '61 SG Standard Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 06/29/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Elitist '61 SG Standard
It features Grover tuners, rosewood fingerboard, 1-pc mahogany neck set at the 16th fret, 22 frets, and Book-Matched African Mahogany top wood.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.7
 9.8
 7.6
reviews (2) 48 comments vote for this gear:
Elitist '61 SG Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in 2004. All of the parts are American made, grover tuners, 50RS humbucker USA rhythum pickup, 60ST humbucker USA treble pickup. 2 tone, 2 volume, 3 way Switch, and nickle hardware, but assembled in Japan. It comes with a Epiphone Elitist hardshell case ($130 value) free. It has the same type of body on it as a Gibson SG Standard. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds great. It has the very rich sound that only humbuckers can produce. It sounds great on solo's, and puts down a very bassish rhythum. I have heard it closely compared with a Stratocaster, and the Strat sounded nausiatingly high pitched and annoying next to it. This guitar suites my style of music, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, JJ. Cail, Grateful Dead ect. perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitars finish is superb. There is not one flaw in the finish. I've had it for 3 months and it hasn't been into the shop once. The action doesn't buzz at all. The rosewood fretboard is really fast, and your hand moves along it like butter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar almost never goes out of tune. It withstands even the roughest tweking and bending. I have no doubt that this guitar will outlast us all. The finish has even withstoud and bash from the headstock of my freinds Jackson DK Dinky. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar out of all the ones I have played is by far the best. I would even reomend it to people over Gibsons. It plays rock and roll and blues superbly. I play it through a Marshall half stack, and an assortment of Digitech petals, (BP2000, Hot Rod, a Wah Wah, and a Blues Driver). Personaly if somebody stole this guitar, I would hunt them down and beet their ass. // 10

Elitist '61 SG Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2006

Purchased from: Music In

Features: This guitar belongs to Epiphone's Elitist series, whose are made in Japan by assembling USA-made parts; and that's why it sounds like a true Gibson. It was made in 2004, and features a 22 frets fingerboard, a solid body finished in black laquer, made of mahogany, as the neck. The fingerboard is made of rosewood.This guitar has, as most of Gibsons, a Tune-O-Matic bridge, grover tuners, 2 Gibson USA humbuckers: a 50 SR in the neck and a 60 ST in the bridge position. It has the conrols of all gibsons:2 tones, 2 volumes and a 3-way selector switch. It comes with an Elitist black hardcase with purple plush interior. // 10

Sound: I play mostly punk, hardcore and metal, and the SG is the guitar to do it all. Someone would say that ESP is better for metal, and it's true; but if you don't have 2000 $ to buy an ESP the Epi SG is a very good guitar, and the sound becomes near perfect with a duncan JB or an EMG 81 in the bridge. For what concerns the guitar, it suits my style very well, it's lightweight, but punches the sound like an heavyweight. The pickups are good, with much bottom end and a very full sound. If you play punk, hardcore, and blues, this is the good guitar for you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup when I purchased it was perfect: the strings are very low, but they don't rattle, and the pickups are at the correct height. The action is super-fast, due to a very thin and slideable neck. When I purchased it, the finishing had some superficial scratches, and the shop gave me a reduction of the cost. Anyway, no other flaws on the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I already told, the SG is a lightweight, and on live playing results very comfortable. The neck is fast, the hardware is like a rock, and the strap buttons are, too. I totally depend on it, and the finish is like a Gibson. I also purchased a Fender 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat, that I've already reviewed, and I continue using the SG live, because it's lighter, faster and with a more hardcore look. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about three years, and that SG showed no problems in the 2 years I used and abused. If it were stolen? It will never be stolen, when I play live I place it in places where I can give a look at it frequently. I think it will never be lost: I mean, a guitar isn't so little to be lost. I play it with a Boss Metal Zone, and it sound great, like Trivium sound, bright and powerful. I chose it 'cause when I purchased it the Gibson are too expensive for me, and the shop guy told me the elitist sounds like Gibson and costs the half. It was really a good buying, and I continue to play it until it goes to dust in my face. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014