Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/01/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Features grover tuners, rosewood fingerboard, 1-pc Mahogany neck set at the 16th fret, 22 fret, Book-Matched Maple top, Book-Matched African Mahogany back, 50SR (USA Humbucker), 60ST (USA Humbucker) pickups, 2 Volume, 2 Tone, and 3-Way Pickup Selector controls, and 24k Gold hardware.
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 45 comments vote for this gear:
Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: minsoo, on may 01, 2006

Features: My elite lp was made in 2003, in Japan, like all the other elitists. For features, you can go to www.Epiphone.com and check the elitist series out. The stock grover tuners are just great, the guitar stays in tune very well. It very nice looking, the pictures on the Epiphone website dont do the finish justice. You gotta see the guitar by yourself to see the true beauty of this guitar. There are 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. Unlike other cheap guitars, the toneknob actually does affect the tone. // 10

Sound: I mainly play rock and some metal, with some blues from time to time. This guitar is great for all genres of music. I got a small Fender 15G amp, which sucks, but I still manage to get some great tones from it with the guitar. I took the guitar to a store last time to try out different amps, and I must say, the guitar just had an awesome tone for every amps in the store. The stock pups arent the greatest, but its stil great for some chunky distorted tones. The guitars got more of a bright sound, ranther than a thin, boring one. Epiphone's qualitiy of the guitars has gone up very much over the years. The body and neck are both mahagony, so it's a bit heavy at around 9 lbs, but heck, for a gutar this great, the weight is a problem. The guitar is very verstile. Honestly, you wont be dissappointed with the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This, unfortunately, is where the rating comes down just a little bit. The guitar was quite nicely set up, but there were some flaws. The fret wires weren't loose, but not funny pushed into the fret. However, some work with the proper tools at home easily fixed this. Also, the toggle is a bit scratchy. I'm planning on getting thischanged for like 10 bucks soon. None of these problems are major. The pickups were adjusted just fine, the action, set to my liking, and well. Everything else was great. No flaws in the finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Let me make it simple. This guitar will withstand live playing. Keep I mind though, if you gig a lot, your guitar I gonna suffer from some dents and scratches. Guitars were meant to be played, not just kept. I personally dont mind dents and scratches on my guitar. The strap buttons, I'm not sure about the stock ones 'cause I added staplocks as soon as I got it. A strap lock is recommened for this guitar since its weights 9 lbs. I could definately depend on it, I would gig with it without a backup. It's a nice solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play, like I mentioned before, mainly rock and metal. This gutiar suits my music very well. If it were stolen, I might consider buying this again, if I could get a better deal. I think I paid a bit to much for this guitar. Damn, I love everything about this guitar. It's very nice. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Classic and standard, and even though every gibsons I've played were better than any Epiphones, the extra quality just isn't worth the extra grand. The Epiphones, however, and just great for the value. If you're considering a Les Paul, then this is a great guitar. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014