EM-2 Custom Review

8.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
EM-2 Custom Reviewed by: koolkarlb1, on june 02, 2009

Purchased from: GAK

Features: This guitar went into production in 2007 I think and was released here in the UK mid 2008. 24 frets, amazingly comfy and thin bolt on neck with a transparent midnight ebony finish. It has an original non-recessed Floyd Rose and has EpiActive pickups, which are active pickups which can also be used as passive for use without a battery. // 9

Sound: I play mainly metal such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, Bullet For My Valentine and stuff like that, but i also play things like Blink 182 and Green Day, along with stuff like Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses. I'm running it through a Line6 POT X Live into my computer, I've got a solo performance video on youtube that shows me playing BFMV and a Zakk Wylde song, search 'karlb1' and you can see what this sounds like, also check my other vids using this guitar (for dome purposes). I was surprised with the sound of this guitar as it cost surprisingly little, but when i played it i fell in love with it instantly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up from the factory was perfect, strings weren't too close to the neck but were close enough for it to play comfortably. The pickups are perfectly placed and everything was pretty much perfect out of te box apart from the tuning (bare in mind it had been sat in a showroom the other side of england for a few months and had to go through different temperatures and conditions which would affect it) but this was only slightly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This will definately withstand Live playing. The only flaw with the durability of this guitar is the knobs, this is probably only my axe but the knobs kept sliding off, which isnt exactly ideal for a pull/push pickup activator, however I removed these and it still looks fine as there are just jet black knobs underneath. The straps buttons are very sturdy, however I have changed mine for Schaller strap locks as I have with all of my guitars just as precaution. Everything on this section is perfect, finish seems very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for my styles and easily meets the same standards as my 700 Schecter guitar. If this were stolen I would definately get a new one, since the stolen one would be inserted inside the person who stole it. I was considering whther to purchase this model or another one of the new Prophecy guitars but this one was definately the perfect choice for me and I have no intention of gtting rid of it any time soon. // 10

EM-2 Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2010

Purchased from: www.guitarcenter.com

Features: Hello, I got a new elctric guitar, from the cool prophecy series of epiphone. I bought at Guitarcenter.com, and it included an Epiphone access pack, that is a 15w amp, with fx loop; headphones, gigbag, strap, 15m guitar cable, and an electronic tuner. This is a very cool model, with quilted maple, in an ebony midnight finish. It has 24 frets, and is very easy to play along the ebony fretboard, because of the thin speedtaper maple neck, and the really comfortable neck joint, that is bolt-on, but also can be seen as set-in, because of the way of the joint with the basswood body. The body style, is sexy, but not as agressive as the futura, is kind of Strat style, but of course, in a different way. It has original Floyd Rose tremolo, that have more expensive guitars, and that is a really good feature. Also has epi-active pickups; Epiphone designed active humbuckers, that also can be used in passive mode. Grover tuners, i volume, 1 tone, and 3-way selector. // 10

Sound: I think is one of the best Epiphone guitars at the time, I can play from blues with my Fender 70s reverb, to any kind of rock-metal music, with my Line 6 spider IV. The pickups, in active mode, are excellent for metal or agressive music, with high output, gain and sustain. In passive mode, can be compared with the emg-hz; really good! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is excellent from factory, well adjusted pickups and tremolo. But of course, I checked with a friend of mine, that is luthier. I recommend, that always that you buy a new electric guitar, check it with a luthier, or with the correct person. I think the only bad things, are the Epiphone strap-locks, they arent strong enough for playing live. Dunlop straplocks are great for this. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Is great for live playing. You can be playing for all a month without tuning it again. The Floyd Rose action, is awesome, you can make dive-boms, and dont worry for tuning. Everything is all right, except for the strap buttons, theyre weak, and dont seem to resist. I change them for Dunlop original strap locks. In the pack I bought, came a gig bag, but when Im travelling, I cant depend on it. I bought an Epiphone hardshell case. Really, the Epiphone access pack, isnt useful, only if you need to practice, or just have fun. // 9

Overall Impression: I have benn playing guitar for 7 years, so Im experienced in different styles of music, but my favorites are blues, metal, and old school rock, and this guitar is excellent for this kind of music. I bought this guitar, because I wanted to check out Epiphone new stuff. I thought it could be some students series guitar, but when I began to play it, I discovered new ways to express. If my guitar were stolen, I will buy a new one inmediatly. I would compare the EM-2, with the Schecter fr hellraiser. It is a great guitar, the best non-classic Epiphone guitar. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014