Emily The Strange G-310 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 10/08/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Emily The Strange G-310
The Epiphone Limited Edition Emily the Strange G-310 is a full-fledged electric guitar featuring Emily's face and other familiar graphics from the character created on the internet by the Cosmic Debris company.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.2
 8.6
 8.1
reviews (5) pictures (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Emily The Strange G-310 Reviewed by: ksand503, on october 08, 2012

Price paid: A$ 300

Purchased from: Gallin's Mucisians Pro

Features: This guitar was made in 2005, in Indonesia. 22 frets, the 12th fret has "eyes" instead of the standard two dot inlay. The neck is rosewood on mahogany (bolt-on). The neck scale is "Slim-Taper 'D'" with a 12" fingerboard radius. It feels thick (compared to a standard Strat) but you can still wrap your hand around for thumbing bass notes. The finish is of course a special "Emily the Strange" design with trippy 60's/70's curls and words. The body is very SG-like. Tune-O-Matic bridge, and two passive humbuckers (Neck: 650R, Bridge: 700T). 2 volume knobs, 2 tone, one three-way toggle switch. Non-locking unbranded tuners, but they do a great job (again compared to a Mexican Strat). Came with a case and a strap. // 8

Sound: This guitar is more suited to harsh distortion, think Nirvana rather than Hendrix. The humbuckers sound decent enough clean, but are definitely at their best with loads of overdrive. I use this guitar with an Orange CR35, a Boss OS-2 Overdrive, FZ-5 Fuzz, DD-7 Delay and Hendrix Wah. Crunchy powerchords and thick heavy riffs are the guitars strength; clean intricacies or acoustic simulation won't be found here. The guitar is very quiet (what did you expect from two humbuckers?) and is very warm sounding. This guitar is best for hard rock and grunge. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was a little high (Easily adjusted with two quick turns thanks to the bridge set-up). Pickups were at the right height for a punchy sound. Top and bridge were flawless, overall good quality. The rosewood fret board was pristine and smooth, tuning pegs were tight, controls were tight, pretty quiet pickup selector. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hit the head stock on a rough rock ground and had no damage to show for it. Had it for 6 months and no noticeable damage has occurred despite having a few gigs with it. I could definitely depend on this live (and have a few times) but it's good sense to bring a backup. Finish is great and is showing no wear yet. My only problem is that being an SG style guitar, the top strap button is on the BACK of the guitar, so be careful when picking it up/putting it down (definitely don't pick it up by the strap). // 8

Overall Impression: I play a range of music from classic rock/blues (Hendrix, Led Zep) to Grunge/Punk (Nirvana, Children Collide) and prog/alt rock (Muse, The Strokes). This guitar is a good enough match for most of those genres/artists, it's just let down by a mediocre clean sound. I've been playing for a year and a half, and this is my second electric guitar. If the guitar was stolen I would go out and buy a Blacktop Strat, as that seems more like the sound I want, but this guitar helped me to realize that. I love the distorted sounds and thick riffs this guitar is most comfortable in. The clean sound is fairly bland and messy. I'd prefer coil tapping, or a single coil for clean sounds, but if you just need distorted/overdriven sounds for a great price, this guitar is perfect. It has served well live, and done nearly everything I've wanted it to do. // 8

Emily The Strange G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2005

Features: It's a 2005 model, made in China. It has 22 frets and a nice solid neck. Solid top, alder body and a rosewood fingerboard. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, open coil humbuckers and no locking tuners, but it stays in tune fine. It has 2 volume knobs and 2 tone plus a 3-way selector. It also comes with a cable a bag and a Emily The Strange strap. // 9

Sound: This suites my style perfect. I play alot of punk/metal/and old school rock. It sounds great with my Marshall MG30DFX. You can get great tone with it. The back pickup can get really a really tiny sound though. The front pick up can get a great deep sound if the tone is turned down. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was pretty good exept on the E string. On frets 8 and down it would buzz a little but I got that fixed. Everything exept the buzz was perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I played live with it handled it fine. The hardware seems like its ready for heaps of gigs and many years 2 come. The strap buttons are awesome, haven't had a problem and don't think I will. I would allways take a back up even if I was using a $8,000 Maton, but that's just me. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the music I play. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years. I started off with a Emperador which was exellent and still is. If anyone has any info on Emperador guitars. If this guitar was stolen I would deffinetly buy it again. The only thing I wish it had was a whammy bar, then it would fullfil all my dreams! // 9

Emily The Strange G-310 Reviewed by: False_God, on march 08, 2006

Purchased from: Music store

Features: Ok this SG guitar was made in 2004, Its has 22 large frets, its a rosewood fret bored and has 2 humbuckers. It's a laminated top with a cool picture of Emily and says "People are strange." It's kinda hippy-ish which is cool. As you its a SG which are the coolest guitars around, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. The electronics aren't great as in all Epiphones and you will eventually have to change the swith to a Gibson quality one which isnt at all expensive! There is a 3-way swith and 2 tone and 2 volume's. Includeded in this package is a strap, gig bag and stickers. I didn't get the stickers 'cause some greedy bastard in the warehouse took 'em. // 9

Sound: Their is a big sound from this guitar, wouldn't recommend it for heavy metal, maybe punk or indie/alt maybe. It suits my style perfect, I use it for grunge, punk, Indie? alt and it suits me to the ground! I run it through a DigiTech RP200A and a Boss Metal Zone through a Hughes & Kettner warp7. It's not noisy at all, even at really high highs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was badly set up when I got it, the neck was pretty much straight as Brad Pitt thus action was really high. I had to mess around with the truss rod to fix that. Nothing serious really, pickups were average nothing extreamly special bout the way they were set up! Other than that is was fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can trust this during a gig as I have done many times. The hard ware seems to last just the pickup Switch really, the strap buttens are solid. The guitar is like a rock, it has taken 1 or 2 falls and not even a paint chip. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for me. I have been playing for 2 years, I also have a Maverick X-1 and a Jackson Flying V. If it was stolen I'd buy it again if I had the money! I love the paint job on it and I hate how it attracts the girls way too much (well it's not a bad thing). Overall great guitar! // 9

Emily The Strange G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar

Features: It was made in september 2005 in China, it has 22 jumbo frets, has a really phycadellic paint job, an SG shaped body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 volume and 2 tone controls and came with a gig bag and a cable. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal with some rock and a littl eblues and it fits really well. I use it with my Korg AX10G and my Yamaha 10watt practice amp and I get a little fuzz, but thats possibly the mix of a crap amp, stock pickups and the electrics. The bridge pickup is a bot quiet but gives a nice punchy but clean sound. You can get alot of sounds out of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a little bit of buzz at the saddles, I dunno how to get rid of that but I will sort that later. The pickups were at a good height, they don't 'cause string drag. The electrics are kinda noisy, but not much of a problem to me right now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this guitar, smashed the headstock against my computer desk a lot and against heavy objects, and it has no scratches and isn't damaged at all. The hardware looks like it can last years and years, the strap buttons are solid, I would use it in a gig without backup (the strings last ages on it). The finish will probably last longer than I will! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar and will suit any style of playing. I have been playing for 1 and a half years and this is my second electric guitar (my first was a Yamaha ERG121C) and it was a great improvement from my first. If it were stolen or lost I would definatly buy another one (or hunt down the guy who nicked my old one). I love the neck, it is slightly wider than other guitars necks, and feels more comfortable, and a thing I hate is the need to stretch the strings on it so they don't detune when you bend. I played a Epiphone Explorer first in the guitar shop and it's neck was worse and it felt far more uncomportable to play. I chose this because it felt better and was "the one". I wish it had a whammy bar and better electronics. Oh, and some EMG's would have been nice as well! // 10

Emily The Strange G-310 Reviewed by: blacklight68, on january 08, 2007

Purchased from: Topman

Features: This is a 2005 G-310, mines from the workshops of tenesse I think but being british I don't know. 22 frets, rosewood neck and also I found the neck to be quite wide, and the strings quite far off the fretboard. I owned a Squire Stratocaster and I still have it, so maybe that just has a very thin neck I don't know. Finish is cool and I chose it over the plain black just to be different. Tune-O-Matic bridge and non-locking nuts, still it stays in tune pretty well and much more then my Strat, 2 tone and 2 treble nobs witha three way selector. It came witha emily the strange gig bag, a thing cable which I use for tuning, and a strap. Pickups seem to be rock pickups to me and are double open coil humbuckers. // 9

Sound: I play everything pretty much, I play from David Bowie to Slipknot to Jimi Hendrix and it does them all, I found the pickups r quite powerful and get noisy but not lose the tone. I have just recently purchased a Vox AD100VT, and it sounds great on that, but for about the past year I've had a Marshall MG15DFX. it did well on the Marshall and better then my Strat, but the amp could not cope with how low the tone could go, and if bass and the tone nob was turned up on full it would make static sounds. But with the Vox it's fine and a great combination for all types of playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set up was nearly perfect, everything was fine the only slight hiccup is that the output nut comes loose very easily, and when that happens it twists and breaks a wire inside, it is repariable but only temporarily for a few days. it just makes a buzzing noise and no acutal guitar sound whe you plug it in. It's the noise when the amp is turned on but the lead is not plugged into the guitar. However do not let this put you off buying this guitar because I'm pretty sure it is just a fault with mine. The finish is fine the pickups are adjusted fine and there is no buzzing on the frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing. I do bring backup but that's only becuase of the problem with the nut which I usually check up before a gig, the strab buttoins are fairly solid and the strap only falls off when your putting the guitar on and never when your acutally playig. The finish definately would withstand it and the tone of the guitar makes me love playing Live with this. // 10

Overall Impression: A very good guitar and I would give it an overrall 10/10, but becuase of the nut it gets 9.7 by me. For the price I paid (170). It is incredible and has opened up a whoel new world of playing or me. It has also encouraged me to look at other Epiphone products and am thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul in a few years time. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014