ES-175 Reissue Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/07/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: ES-175 Reissue
The Epiphone ES-175 Reissue electric guitar brings back one of the world's most beloved instruments.
 8.1
 8.4
 7.8
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
ES-175 Reissue Reviewed by: TheNoodleMiner, on august 07, 2008

Price paid: £ 299.99

Purchased from: DV247

Features: The Epiphone ES-175 Electric Guitar brings back one of the world's most beloved instruments. In 1949 Gibson introduced the ES-175 to enduring and well-deserved acclaim. Since it was primarily an electric guitar it didn't need the very large dimensions of a classic archtop but it still benefited from the full hollowbodied resonance of an archtop design enhanced by Gibson's fabulous new humbuckers. This Epiphone version has the same sumptuous vintage vibe of the original including dual Alnico Classic humbuckers a meticulously applied sunburst finish split parallelogram fretboard inlays on a bound rosewood fretboard rosewood bridge base gold tophat knobs and deco trapeze tailpiece. // 9

Sound: I play some blues, reggae, rock, metal and surf music. It sounds good with every type of music. I'm playing through a Marshall AVT50X, no effects at all. The sound is amazing, it's very warm, thick and versatile. It's got the typical hollowbody sound. The ES-175 sound is basically the same as the Epiphone Les Paul Custom only it's got a much more fuller, thicker, warmer and spacier sound. It's very easy to get feedback, but the feedback is not annoying it's pretty cool when you can control it, which is just turning the knobs here and there. The guitar sounds great in every pickup setting. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first tried the guitar out at the shop the action was high which I don't like cause I'm mostly a rhythm guitar player. So I asked the shop to set it up nicely with closer action. It's setup well as far as I can tell, all stays in tune also higher on the fretboard only bending the strings won't change a note much. I think it's because of the strings, it felt better once I had changed the strings. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar would withstand Live playing, I'd probably go for my Gibson Les Paul Standard though not because of the sound but it's more practicle to play and jump around on stage, but maybe that's just something to get used too. I also use strap locks just for extra insurance. // 8

Overall Impression: I regret not having purchased the ES-175 sooner, it was much better then I'd even expected. I'll never get rid of my Gibson Les Paul Standard out of free will and the same goes for this one, the ES-175 has become the main guitar for recording cause the sound is just awesome. I'm sure that a Gibson would sound beter and feel better but for people like me Who don't have the money this is what you should be going for. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014