ET-270 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: ET-270
It is a 1970 Epiphone ET-270 made in Japan in red wood finish and black pickguard with the signature E in the middle. It has two signature special Epiphone single coils that aren't to hot but have a good attack when played hard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 8.7
 9.5
 9.4
 9.6
reviews (3) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
ET-270 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2009

Features: It is a 1970 Epiphone ET - 270 made in Japan in red wood finish and black pickguard with the signature E in the middle. It has two signature special Epiphone single coils that aren't to hot but have a good attack when played hard. By far though, my favorite feature is the bass boost Switch located right above the volume knob. It gives the bridge and neck pickups incredible bite after it is switched on and a nice twangy Strat esque sound when it is off. In all the features of this hybrid Strat VS Jaguar guitar are a great touch to a nice guitar. // 9

Sound: I play mainly Noise Rock, Math Rock, Screamo, Blues and Pyschadelic which this guitar suites nicely. I have it run through various pedals being a DS-1 distortion, BF-2 Flanger and the new Delta-lab Delay (which is excellent! ) and this thing is very very good. When I got it I had to re-ground it which took maybe 10 minutes tops, it sounded superb. It sounds very good through the ds-1 giving a nice distorted tone while keeping all the great tonal features. I play music very much like Orchid, Circle Takes The Square, Ampere, Jefferson Airplane, Converge and Brian Jonestown Massacre and while those genres vary this guitar steps up! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: when I got it it was set up amazing. I jammed on in it the next day and the next weekend at two shows. Stays in tune great and the floating tremelo is a great feature and doesn't knock it out of tune to fast. I didn't get the tremelo arm with it but I just used one from my Strat and it fit in and worked great. Although I don't use it much, it is a great feature. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this thing for about six months and played 6-7 gigs with it running it through a B52 LS-100 head into an reissue Ampeg cab and at the end of shows we aren't the friendliest to our guitars or basses but this guitar has held up. The neck is fine and the paint is fine minus a chip that was there when I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4-5 years and own a Fat Strat, Jaguar HH, and now this Epiphone. Originally I bought it just to dick around with around the house but once I found out how great it was I started using it at shows and all. It replaced my Jaguar because we have gotten more aggressive Live and I don't want to break a 700 dollar guitar. I honestly love everything about it it has great tone handles well Live and is incredible under effects. The only thing I would like to do with this pedal is replace the bridge pickup with something a little hotter. Other then that it is a phenomenal guitar. And if it were stolen I'd definetly buy another. // 10

ET-270 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Garage Sale Anchorage AK

Features: My ET 270 is a MIJ. Usual number of frets. Body style is an unusual elongated Mostrite/Strat with thin neck. Rosewood fretboard. Dual single coils once described as mini P 90s. Non covered tuners! Has a slider Switch for bass boost. Non locking tuners that have never failed me. Bought it in 1997/8. Has original chipboard case. Has original vibrato bar. Floating trem. // 10

Sound: My ET 270 plays surf, rock, blues rock, boogie and country. I use a Fender Studio Bass anmp-paid $100 for it, replaced one tube-and several other amps, including Gibson RVT 15, 30 and 45, as well as an old tube Newcomb, a Kalamazoo Model Two, a Danelectro Dirty Thirty. For effects: Emerald Echo, Dano Distortion, old Pro Co Rat, Morley Wah, Vox wah (not at the same time) old yellow Boss pedal, Johnson J Station. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used. I've changed only the strings-and none too frequently. (interesting plastic rollers at the bridge). Red paint. It is a nearly perfect guitar (but see my Guild S60 and Epi Genesis). Tone pots are getting a little scratchy. But so would you after thirty years of being tossed, thrown, dropped and left out of your case for weeks on end. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a problem with it for eleven to twelve years. I doubt that I ever will. The ET 270 is well known for live playing. Ask Kurt Cobain. I play it more than my Rickenbacker re issue. Finish is fine, and will continue to be so for another thirty years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock, a little country, a tiny bit of jazz, some surf, godforbid grunge and punk sounds... I've been playing either too long or not long enough, depends on which ex wife or grown daughter you ask. People have stopped saying "If you don't quit picking on that thing it will never heal". Grateful for that... I had two ET 270s, and I deeply regret losing the other one. Interestingly, I was looking at the one I bought, the store owner said a guy was in the day before and had just called him, saying he had dreamed he bought the ET 270 and was on his way over to get it. I immediately bought in on the spot. Bothers me. Hope he got another ET 270. I would compare this to a Mosrite or Mosrite clone. I sometimes wish it had another pickup. Don't like the black pick guard. Wish the handle on the vibrato bar was flat. I bent the bar best I could... If it wear lost or stolen I would get another one. Probably two. I appreciate everything about the ET 270. Light weight, great neck, well built. I do question the state of mind of Kurt Cobain for having publicly destroyed his ET 270. It boogies with the best of them. // 10

ET-270 Reviewed by: erichothand, on july 29, 2011

Purchased from: Springfield Music, Springfield, Mo.

Features: I purchased this in 1971, 40 years ago when I was 12; it was 6 months old at the time. It is just like the previous pictures in this thread, a wonderful transparent red finish. However, I believe mine is one of the earlier 270's as it has a laminated (layered black/white/black) pickguard instead of the solid black, and did not have the "E" logo in the middle of the pickguard. It has the same pickups as those pictured. This guitar came modified by the previous owner who had it 6 months; the frets were filed heavily, but was done with care as far as fretting out correctly. In my very subjective opinion, it's what made this guitar so exceptionally fast and "playable" for my kid fingers at the time. // 7

Sound: This guitar allowed me to have sort of a P-90 factor. Quite by happy accident, one of the first effects I got for it ('72)was an Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz - the tiny inline box (not the big muff pi - which I think of as a completely different effect) that when the pickups were set in middle, or neck, positions created a singing rounded tone that I've never quite matched with any other equipment. I played through an old tube '69 Ampeg B-25B (Ampeg's 55 watt version of the SVT, with the Standard 2 x 15" Eminence drivers). Believe it or not, I had to mike this rig through the PA in the mid '70's when in a band doing a good deal of Ted Nugent covers, as the rhythm guitarist played an LP goldtop through an Ampeg V4, and bass player was going thru an Acoustic folded horn system... Between the mic and PA I ran a Crybaby wah, which was weird but effective in giving me some additional volume and tone control. We're talking low-buck '70's situations here, folks! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All throughout jr. high and high school and way beyond it was my guitar of choice. A sort of poor boy's Strat that had more Fenderish feel than Gibson. A "perfect" neck for my particular hand structure. My friends wondered how I played the thing, it was like butter compared to the elephantine actions on their axes. I NEVER used anything more than 009's, and for several years actually used 008's; it was a bending machine for a very light touch. Within about ten years the original whammy Bridge turned into rusted, unadjustable trash - how could it not, after umpteen keggers, and years of practices in attic-like humidity. I had to make a profound decision at that point, and decided to bite the Bullet and tap out the body for a Schaller fine tune solid tailpiece, covering the resulting "whammy hole" with a black lucite cover. It was, none the less, a $69 guitar. It bastardized the poor thing, but made it much more player-friendly as far as a means of compensation for the relatively crude open tuners this guitar came with. Neither did it look too bad, either. Remember, these were the days before doing such things as radical as this were frowned upon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: After sooo many years playing this as a main instrument, the pots, switches, and jack became literally worn out. While I babied those filed frets with the lightest strings, they too have seen better days. The neck is straight as an arrow, and remains a better neck (for me) than that of my very "nice player" Hamer Chaparral Sustainiac, Mexican Strat, and Epiphone Sheraton guitars. The finish is as nice as ever. However, any which way you look at it, it is very much a relic in it's current condition, and has been hanging on the rack for five years, still awaiting an electronics restoration. The ground wire, alone, has been replaced twice during it's life so far. And why wouldn't it? This thing has been through hell and back! // 9

Overall Impression: While this guitar can be made very playable again, it cannot be reasonably restored back to "original". It was not original when I bought it 40 years ago. I have seen "concours condition" 270's that have whet my thoughts of buying, but I don't think I would necessarily do this as such a guitar would remain virtually unplayed by me and kept in the case as a collector... I believe these guitars require some modifications such as fret dressing, etc., to make them a true player's instrument. HOWEVER, I credit my 270 for having provided me such a buttery and "easy" action that allowed me the means and incentive to have been a very fast and "showboat" player back in the day, when things like that seemed to be a very important thing. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014