Fat-210 Review

7.4
 7.8
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Fat-210 Reviewed by: mhmatt, on july 14, 2007

Features: I got this guitar as a present in 2004 and it was made in Indonesia, it has 22 jumbo frets, a fairly thin neck (being 6'1 I have big hands though). Laminated Fat-Strat type body, sunburst finish. I'm not sure what woods it's made out of. Non locking tuners, trem bridge, two passive humbuckers, one volume pot and two tone (the tone REALLY don't do anything though). So all in all very Standard. // 6

Sound: I play basically anything, but my band plays a variety of metal, hardcore and grindcore so I'll use that as a base. I play through a Fender FM212R with the band and a Randall 30dfx when practicing. I use a DigiTech Metal Core sometimes (if I need a lot of distortion) and a Boss Phaser. The Epiphone sounds not too bad through both, although when playing with any type of distortion, the guitar just doesn't cut through most of the time, so solos are practically impossible with a good amount of distortion. It mostly has a rather fat sound. Pinch harmonics sound odd. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The action I must admit, was low and good low at that when I got it. The pickups needed to be raised though, and the tremelo was set up nicely. The neck was well setup, and just needed some minor adjustments, it also had a random spring inside of it when I bought it, it wasn't connected to anything. It just was in there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So. I dropped this guitar once on a wood floor. It now has a huge chunk missing out of the lower right end, it modified the sound slightly (for the better too) the strap actually broke, but the strap buttons are definitely some of the best I've gotten on a guitar, very very solid. The hardware actually sounds better with age, and it's lasted very well. The finish and most of the guitar (except that chuck haha) have lasted 2 years, so it's pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar doesn't sound too good for the type of music I play, the sound doesn't cut through the distortion, so I can only play basic power chords and lower stuff, metal solos are practically impossible. I've been play guitar for around 3 years, and have learnt a lot on this guitar. I play it clean when I'm practicing songs though, and try with distortion after, to see if it works and it usally doesnt't. I would definitely buy a new guitar if it got stolen. It's a beginner's guitar, and I'm long overdue for a new guitar. // 5

Fat-210 Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on may 09, 2005

Sound: The sound is very good, especially for a guitar of this price. The humbucker on the bridge position delivers a good, crunchy distortion. When both the humbucker and middle single-coil are turned on, you get a nice, Vintage sound. The neck single coil is pretty good, although the sound could be a little fatter and warmer. Although this guitar is a fat Strat copy, it has a better sound than any Strat of the same price. The humbucker is not very noisy at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action set up was ok, but the high E string was a little low and I got fret buzz, but I fixed it easily. Other than that, everything was in great condition. No mis-wired pickups of unstraight neck. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from rock to rock, and this fits that broad spectrum well. This was my first guitar, and I love it. I have been playing for a year, although I played piano for 6 years, but I quit cause that sucked. Anyways, it is not nearly comparable to a Les Paul, but a great begginer guitar. It comes in a begginers pack, but I got it separate. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably up grade to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. But this is a solid begginer's guitar and a recommend it to anyone. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014