Firebird Studio Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/25/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Firebird Studio
The Epiphone Firebird studio was designed with an all-Mahogany body and neck along with a Rosewood fingerboard for massive sustain and rich tones. A set neck, stop bar tailpiece and AlNiCo Classic humbuckers round out this incredible guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.4
reviews (6) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Firebird Studio Reviewed by: thedefrockednun, on september 08, 2008

Purchased from: Codahangszer

Features: It was made in Korea between 2000 and 2007, it has 22 frets, the neck is nice and thin, made out of maple and mahogony. The body is also mainly, mahogony, it has a beautiful finish, nice coulour and great coat, the body is a cut-away string-thru body. There are 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs and a three-way selector providing the guitar with many tone options, the pickups not only sound amazing but look great, they are protected by a small metal covr that make the guitar look even better. The guitar came with a bag and 4 picks. // 10

Sound: I play anything from metal, over blues to acoustic and rock and the guitar is brilliant for evrything, thesound is amazing, best I've ever heard outside of a concert, plug it in without gain and you couldn't tell that it wasn't an acoustic but even though the acoustic sounds great, the sound when playing rock/metal/punk sounds awesome, there is a huge variety of sounds the guitar can make thanks to the knobs and selector. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The gitar was very well put together, the pickups are well fit, I've had it for almost a year now and didn't need to service it, everything was put together properly. The guitar has so far not had any flaws what'soever, everything that was screwed on is still in place and won't budge, it's perfectly prepared. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this is a highstandard guitar, it has been used Live by many big bands, foo fightersuse the Epiphone model as well as the Gibson model Live, all buttons and knobs are still fit in place, I haven't had to use a single Tool on it, the guitar has been banged against the table/wall q uite a few times but it's still in erfect shape. The guitar is exactly the same as on the day that I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music and this fits each and every one of them, I've been playing for 6 years and this is most definitly my dream guitar. I can only give this guitar a 10 out of 10 rating, it has a superb sound, it look gorgeous and it is reliable and the best guitar I have, it's perfect for those dedicated musicians like me who cannot afford a Gibson at the age of 16. If this were stolen I would buy the exact same gitar again. // 10

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: JFearnside III, on september 09, 2011

Purchased from: www.DV247.com

Features: The guitar has many features that really make this guitar unique. The guitar has a set, mahogany neck of a 24.75 scale (3/4 size) that has 22 frets with the standard studio dots. The body included 2 alnico classic humbuckers just like the sg, and either an ebony or a worn cherry finnish. (mine has an ebony finnish which is holding up nicely). The guitar also has a set neck bridge with a tail piece and 2 tone and 2 volume controls, a tone and volume for each pickup, and also has the jack socket for the cable on the front. The body also has an excellent firebird shape pick guard with the iconic firebird symbol. Last but certainly not least is the headstock, which is my favourite part of the guitar, which is a reverse shape that has banjo tuners and a headstock plate with the Epiphone logo. Now the banjo tuners take some geting used to and changing the strings looks complicated (although I have'nt changed the stings yet) but looks awesom :D. overall the headstock is unique and has many great features // 10

Sound: The sound of the guitar is pretty awesome, it suits my style of music which is rock and alternative rock nicely. On distortion the guitar sounds great and very 'rocky' and on clean it sounds very bluesy, however on clean and treble the guitar sounds very 'foo fighters' like which is brilliant. Overall pretty fantastic for its price range. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As with all Epiphone guitars the factory setup is pretty good and the guitar feels great and smooth. With the ebony finnish though finger prints and smudge marks are very apparent and requires constant polishing, but you can expect that with any black guitar. Everything is put together very nicely and the guitar is of great quality, // 9

Reliability & Durability: the guitar is very reliable and it seems like it will last. as it is a Firebird Studio i think it would sound better in a studio rather than live, but i have not gigged it so i wouldn't know. now the bad thing about the guitar is that when i use my nylon strap and stand up the guitar learns to the side and does not stay upright as the headstock is massive and the balance is off, however with a good quality leather strap this could be avoided. although the guitar is not that heavy and is easy to hold, because the neck feels fat it requires getting used to and will not be suitable for shredding that muck (i would recommend an Ibanez for it has a fin neck) but overall the guitar is very reliable but takes much getting used to // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar gives of a very good impression as you feel like dave grohl when you play foo fighters music like the pretender as he has a Gibson firebird studio. I would compare this to a good Epiphone SG as the neck is simular and sounds just as good. This guitar is a fantastic buy and is the best guitar I have ever seen and played and will be my main guitar for years to come :D // 10

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: Firebirdz, on august 25, 2009

Features: My Epiphone Firebird Studio was my August 2008 in China. It has 22 frets and A set Mahagony neck and body, chrome hardware and a 24 3/4" scale. I'm pretty sure it has a satin finish, with a Tune o matic bridge and a stopbar piece, with 2 Alcino pickups. There is a 3-way pickup selector and 2 volume and tone knobs. It has awesome Banjo tuners, which work great. For a while. // 9

Sound: I play mainly Alternative rock, punk and hard rock. This guitar does it very well, though it could fail at high gain stuff. I use is with a Crate Palomino V8-Both sound great, I can get a very full, warm sound, or roll the tone on both up for a pretty sharp sounding tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set pretty well when i got it-it had pretty good action, well adjusted pickups. The only bad thing about it was the the little plastic thing that says Tone on one of the knobs fell off as it wan't glued well. Other than this, the guitar had no flwas whatsoever, and was pretty well made and delivered. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are Ok, yet the strap does come off after some time. The hardware seems ok, it's gonna last for some time. I'm not sure if it will stand playing live as I don't play Live, so I don't really know if I'll pkay this with no backup. The finish on this one looks great to me, I think it should last for some good time. // 8

Overall Impression: For The Music I play(written above) this guitar does pretty well, though a not that great for heavier music. I can compare it to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard of it's price level, so you can get an good idea about it. If it was stolen, I'd probably get an other guitar, not cause this is a bad one, it just for my preference. Only thing I wish it had is other inlays, like Trapazoid, but that's an entirleyby my choices. // 8

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: EasyMucy, on august 16, 2010

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: amall ads

Features: Got it in original like-new condition, Korean, all red, nothing special. Oh, I got a nice red leather strap to match the colour of my hungover eyes :) I love the velvet finish of lacquer because you're down there for the music and not for the pesky reflections from the lightshow, right? // 9

Sound: After owning a variety of crap (unknown maker's SG, Ibanez Les Paul, some Chinese Flying V, Czech Janina) I got my paws on a couple of real Gibsons and Fenders and decided that Gibson is the way to go. As I am not a rich man, Epiphone was a logical choice. At first I thought the sound was %&/$%#! awesome, a true "Stratocaster on steroids", but when I compared it to a Gibson RD... well... it's like comparing your bathtub to a Pacific Ocean. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was pretty cool for a while, the guitar doesn't go out of tune for a month. But the first thing to fall apart was the cable jack and I had to get another one. Then one pickup died on me. Then the pickup selector Switch started to give me hard time. So I had it overhauled. Some wiring connections were soldered so badly they barely touched. Very beautiful guitar on the outside but lousy in the places you can't see. After a major overhaul of the insides (50 euros) the selector Switch was still bothering me. I also wasn't too impressed by the pickups anymore so I took the next step: a Gibson humbucker taken from some limited-edition 1979 Flying V on the bridge and a PAF replica by Seymour Duncan on the neck. And the Switch was taken off some lousy Chinese Flaying V replica that I have as a decoration ornament on the wall. Now she sounds like a goddamn atomic blast! // 5

Reliability & Durability: For the first few months the guitar was a gem, then she started dying on me. The wooden parts are very good, neck is strong, so I suggest you buy this cheap piece of lumber, strip off all the Korean wiring and lousy pickups, invest a couple of 100's in new Seymour Duncan PAF or DiMarzio Super Distortions or some other stuff that ROCKS, get a good cable jack and a Gibson Switch - and you'll have a MONSTER of a guitar for 500. Still some 1500 cheaper than the real thing but close enough... // 5

Overall Impression: I'm a rocker, with lots of thrash metal background. But my passion is blues so I combine those two. I play slide, guitar tuned to open D, if it wasn't for the humbuckers, my guitar playing would sound like Taj Mahal on a steel Dobro, but I have this customized Firebird that roars like a Godzilla. With diarhorrea. With a hungover. And PMS. With lots of help from a Kustom tube amp with Lorantz speaker. It just can't get more powerful without having some major destruction and radiation issues afterwards... I only wish one day some fairy will turn it into a Gibson and Lorantz will sponsor me 3 more speakers like that... // 8

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: serialjoe1, on august 31, 2011

Price paid: C$ 439

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: No idea where or when it was made. 22 frets, medium sized I think. Body and neck is made out of korina wood, which is pretty unique, and that's one of the reasons why I bought it. Rosewood fretboard, firebird style body (obviously), stop bar tailpiece bridge, one volume and tone control for each pickup, two regular-sized Epiphone humbuckers, and Steinberger gearless tuners (which are really great by the way). Got a really big thunderbird case for it, unfortunately that was the only case the store could find for my guitar.. Its fine and all, but its bulky as hell. Also got some free picks, but no strap. I was disappointed with the size of the case they gave me, which I blame for both the guitars irregular shape, and the store for not having a better inventory of cases. However the guitar itself is great. // 8

Sound: Sounds great, I've heard from alot of people that the pickups on these epis were junk, but to me they sound pretty decent. I use an old Fender Princeton with it, no pedals, only distortion from the second channel on the amp. Sounds great clean or distorted, but personally I prefer the distortion. Of course I can beta Gibson would sound a hell of a lot better compared to this one, but for what I payed it sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I think it was set up fine, I have no trouble playing it so it works for me. I don't usually mess with the pickup height and bridge height and all that, it sounds and plays just fine. After playing a Strat for like 3 years it did take some getting used to, but I think all new guitars do. Mostly everything is fine on the guitar but there are a few quality concerns I have. When I switch between pickups I hear a crackly sound, and the top strap button is loose. However, it is an Epiphone after all, not a Gibson. Aside from that everything is great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yeah I think this guitar would be great for live playing. The tuners are great. I've heard from a lot of people that the gearless tuners are not suited for changing tunings quickly (especially to drop D), because of the 40:1 ratio they have. IMHO, the people that say that are full of shit. It takes like 1-2 extra turns to get the right note, not to mention these tuners are way more accurate than most others. I would probably use it without a backup guitar, mainly cause it works fine, and also because it looks super bad-ass. As for the hardware lasting, I have no idea how long it will last. Probably a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of soft stuff and lots of harder stuff, but noting too fast or hardcore. I play a lot of the same music I listen to, Foo Fighters, Silversun pickups, Death Cab For Cutie, Rebecca Black (kidding lol), mostly rock stuff. Guitar suits my style fine. I've been playing for like 4 years, self taught, no lessons. I also own a tribute G&L Legacy, which looks and plays nice, but its a totally different type of guitar than the Firebird, to me its kind of hard to compare the two. I think they're both great. If it were stolen, I'd definitely get another one. Something I never mentioned above, and its kind of a huge issue for me, is that this guitar has a lot of neck dive. Its not that bad though, if I let go of the guitar, it doesn't hit the floor, it just slides a little bit past my waist. Still, it is a bit of a problem. I blame the design of the guitar, and the strap button position. It would slide a lot less if the top strap button were moved behind the neck joint, like the Gibson ES-335. I have a thing for the firebird look. When I first started playing, I looked into a ton of different styles of guitars... Fenders, Epiphones, Rickenbackers, Ibanez, Eastwoods, and out of every guitar I have ever seen, the Firebird remains my favourite for looks. The korina wood makes it stand out even more to me. If only it came with a better case... // 9

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: deathpunk456, on january 25, 2012

Features: This is a Korean made Epiphone it has 22 frets on a mahogany neck. The neck is nice a smooth easy to play along the frets. There are 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs and a three-way pickup. The pickups sound amazing and they are protected by a small metal covers that make the guitar look even better. Mine is solid black which in my opinion looks sick. // 10

Sound: I mostly play metal rock and alternate and this guitar gets the sound every time. I plug it into my spider 2 15watt and it handles the distortion on the insane setting beautifully. Put it on clean and it sound amazing as well. The only problem I would say there is is tapping but that's mainly my fault since I'm a beginner. Overall it sounds nice and it can fit your style perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is flawless unless you mess around the screws on the bridge then you'll have some problems. The pickups were well adjusted and overall good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable I've banged it up alot and all I've seen are some minor marks and scratches. The strap buttons are well in place don't fall or make your strap fall. I would easily take this to a gig(if I was in a band) without a backup that's how confident I am about this guitar. I've had it for a while now and its still solid. The only problem like with any guitar is strings. Overall good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any style. This is my first guitar so I might be exaggerating. If it was stolen I'd call the cops maybe buy a Gibson Firebird or a new one. It has a nice look to it what I hate about it is that your have to buy a special case for it. I would recommend this guitar to anyone just keep safe and on a stand. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014