Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/24/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig
The Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig includes a mini Flying Vee (with full-size neck and a humbucking pickup) and a 9-volt battery-operated Mini-Tweed amp. It all fits in the included gig bag. Lightweight and convenient, this is everything you need for spontaneous jam sessions anywhere you go!
 8.6
 5.4
review (1) 41 comments vote for this gear:
Flying Vee Wee Rave Rig Reviewed by: metalhead747, on december 24, 2007

Features: I got this guitar today for an early xmas present. It's pretty good. It has 1 double humbucking pickup wich is in my opinion a pretty good quality pickup. The strings have a very smoothe feel to them, they are easy to slide up and down the neck. The bridge is a flood bridge witch I hear is hard to change the strings on, but I don't know yet. It has a red, glossy finish wich to my surprise gets finger prints all over it. It has a small neck in length but it has 21 frets on it. The kit I got came with a gig bag (with a spot for the travel amp), a travel 9-volt battery amp, the Mini V (the Vee-Wee), and a small cable witch is a pretty crappy cable (but most cables in kits are). It has one volume knob and nothing else but the knob is pretty quality. The neck is apparently made of a "hard wood" that's all it says. The bridge style is a Tune-O-Matic. // 9

Sound: It does not suit my music style much besides when I play xmas and calmer music (I usually play metal and classic rock). I have only used it with the little mini travel amp so far, but it sounds pretty good on the overdrive and the clean effect on the amp. It is pretty noisy, the amp is probably like a 5 watt and I could here my dad playing it from upstairs. It is a little on the twangy side though. It does have a rich sound though. I have made it do natural and pinch harmonics so far and it does them better than my other guitars but in less of a variety because of the pickup position. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think that the setup at the fatory was pretty good. The only thing that I had to mess with was the tuning and the volume (I made it louder) The pickups were adjusted at the perfect position for pinch harmonics, and set at the right hight so you don't scratch them all up with your pick. The bridge was adjustable and is set on the lowest setting witch sounded good to me so I didn't change it, but it can go farther up. The only flaw I found on this guitar was a minor one, the volume knob was on a bit crooked, but who cares! It still works fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately not take this guitar to live playing because it sounds like it would go out of tune pretty fast because of its small size. I might use this guitar in a rotation for about one song at a small gig though. The strap buttons are a bit wobbly but you can adjust them with a screwdriver so I didn't mind. The strap they gave you didn't quite fit on the bottom one though. The hardwae seems that it will last me for 5 or 6 years before I need to get anything fixed besides the rotation of strings. The finish seems pretty good but it seems that if it got wet, it would melt off, so don't wet it too much when cleaning it. Like I said, it gets fingerprints all over it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and classic rock and occasionally calmer music like Xmas or classical. it matches the xmas and classical perfectly but the metal is a bit bad on the little amp. I have been playing for 5 years now and I own a Dean Razorback V, a Dean Splittail Custom, a B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series, and a Yamaha EG112C. I would have asked what the type of wood was in the neck because it is painted and slides easily and I wanted my other guitars remodeled to that. If it were stolen or lost, I probably would not buy this again, but I would buy the Epiphone SG for about the same price. I love that the neck slides easily, I love that I found a V for this price. I actually don't hate anything about this guitar. My favorite feature is the position of the pickup because it makes pinch harmonics easier. I compared it with the Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee. I chose this one mainly because of the shape (they both sounded the same and I'm getting a reg. Les Paul anyway). I really wish it had an optional wammy bar and more knobs and a toggle switch. overall I will grow to love and cherish this guitar because it is so small and fun. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014