G-310 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/25/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: G-310
For 250, it sounds pretty damn good, the pickups are extremely versatile. I would COMPLETELY recommend this guitar to anyone who plays mid-high gain stuff, it redefines that area.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 8.4
 8.1
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (44) pictures (3) 149 comments vote for this gear:
G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Features: This was a '05 model red SG. This has 22 frets and a nice fat neck. Solid top and an alder body and rosewood fingerboard. of course this baby had a Tune-O-Matic bridge, open coil, humbuckers and no locking tuners though. But it stays in tune. It also included a cable. // 10

Sound: It suits my style of music perfectly. I love the sound. I think it sounds a whole lot better than my Strat. It's not noisy at all and yeah, it does make a variety of sounds. I can make that guitar due what I want it to do. I never could get my Strat to do what I wanted. It wouldn't stay in tune and I couldn't get the right sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just right on the SG. The back pickup is suppose to be high but a little 2 high for me. But I fixed that easily. Everything was perfect on this guitar. Yeah there were some blemmishes because I bought it from the Clearance Center but the scratches were so small and unnotible that people thought that it was brand new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yeah it withstood live playing very well. The hardware appears like it is ready for many gigs and years ahead. The strap buttons are excellent. The strap hasn't fallen off unlike my Strat. I depend on this guitar very heavilly. And I dont use it as a backup, I use it as my main guitar now. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock to classic rock and the guitar matches every style. I've played for 2 years and I'm in a band called Canteen. We're from Wheelersburg Ohio. I use a Danelectro Daddy O distortion and a 30 watt Crate amp. If this guitar was stolen, id buy it again in a heartbeat. I love the look, the sound and the feel of this guitar. I love it. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2005

Features: I got no clue where it was made from, but here is what I know: - 22 frets - Rosewood fretboard - Mahogany body and neck - Ebony finish - SG style body - Tunee-O-Matic bridge - 3-Way selector Switch, 2 volume and 2 tone knobs - Stock pickups - Comes with 6ft cable and tool for tightening the neck. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my tastes and styles of music pretty well. I play hard rock, blues, metal, and modern vibes as well. Right now I'm using a little 15 watt for practicing in my room, and use some off brand 150 watt tube amp for gigs and stuff. This instrument does great with low, and mid range distortion. But if you crank the distortion up all the way, you may get a little bit of unwanted noise. It's also great for no distortion at all! This things sounds great for its price! I get nice squeals, and solos come out pretty clean. The sound is very rich; a very good blend of bass, mid range, and highs. This guitar will make the sounds you want in very good reasoning. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I love the action on this thing! I get solos out better than other peoples ESPs, and Jacksons and what not. I'm also a little guy, so this instrument has a great neck for my standards. I can't really say anything about the pickups other than they are fairly nice for stock pickups. The hardware I haven't really messed with, I've had it for almost a year now and it's still pretty solid. Not really any flaws to worry about to much. It's got a bolt on neck, the stock strap buttons aren't superior, and the selector is a little noisy when changing. But with a $20 dollar investment in some strap locks, it is a very decent instrument (if you want to spend money on pickups, you can do that too). I honestly don't care about the finish. Guitars wern't made to look pretty, they were made to play music! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just finished up my fifteenth ggig on this thing tonight, and it hasn't failed me yet. I also take it to school and play when ever I can (especailly during class). Everything on this thing is solid. I changed the stock strap buttons and got some Jim Dunlop straplocks and this thing won't fall off me when I'm runin all over the place during a solo. I really can depend on this thing. I've used on every gig I've done without a backup. Partly cause I'm left handed and it's my only guitar! Like I said earlier, I don't care about the finish. No one is caring how it looks. They care about the sound coming out of it! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for beginners an pros alike. If your into basically any rock, and you don't have lots of dough, this is your guitar. I've been playing for almost a year now, and I have heard enormous change in my playing ability. A year ago all I knew was TNT (and just the main riff). A year later I can play Parinoid, the whole thing! This thing also fits universal coffin cases as well. This guitar is like a friend to me, so if I had it stolen I would probably kill the person who had the balls to do it (and I'm not joking). But if I couldn't find it, I would probably upgrade to a Steinburger, Godin, or a Gibson. It's pretty tough for us leftys to not spend over a grand to get a decent guitar. I love everything about this guitar. It has become a part of me I can't give up. I compared it to other ones everywhere. I had only about 205 wing wangs to spend on a guitar, and being left handed, it costs extra. This guitar has the best value! I'm so glad I chose this guitar. The only thing I wish it had was if it had a trembolo on it. But alas, this is probably the best instrument you can find for under $200 (it's $210 for a lefty one). And it is a great first instrument for yourself or someone else. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: KillRoy Ver 3.0, on july 09, 2004

Features: I am not sure what year this guitar was made in, but I purchased it way back in 1994. It has 22 frets with a Rosewood fingerboard and tune-o-matic bridge. It has 2 covered humbucker pickups (original), 2 tone, 2 volume and a 3-way pickup selector. It has a gloss black finish that has held up extremely well over the years. When I purchased this guitar I also purchased a hard shell case to go with it. All in all I consider this the ideal setup for myself and the my musical stylings (nothing beats the fullness of the dual humbuckers). // 10

Sound: My musical styles primarily lean towards metal, but over the years I have pretty well run the gamut of sounds. Overall this guitar has been instrumental in shaping the sound and style of my playing. I run this guitar through my Peavey Transfex Pro 212S. For effects I primarily use distortion, wah, delay, chorus/flange, phaser and reverb to create alot of rich textures. The pickups can be a bit hot (resulting in feedback) but I have it pretty well eliminated by using a noise gate and suppression to tighten up my sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To be honest, I don't remember what the action/setup was like when I bought, nor would I have known any better anyways. I have had numerous setups done to it over the years though as my tastes change, and each time it has handled it marvelously. The only major work I can remember having done to it was having the cable input replaced approximately 3 years ago. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Over the years I have dropped this guitar a few times, knocked it off my stand and even banged it off my ceiling (don't ask) and it still sounds and plays great. It has been nothing but dependable for me and is easily my number one guitar. The finish is still in overall good condition (besides a few scratches) and I have had numerous friends/acquaintances offer to buy it off me (to no avail). // 10

Overall Impression: As I have stated, I primarily play metal, and this guitar has given me the perfect tone for my style of playing. I have been playing now for approximately 12 years and this guitar has been instrumental in my development as a musician. I also own and Ibanez RG style guitar and a Hamer Flying V, and as far as I'm concerned neither of them can hold a candle to this guitar. If it were stolen I would cry like a little girl due to the huge sentimental attachment I have to it (sometimes my fiance says I love this guitar more than I love her). When I was looking at buying this guitar I also tried out a few Fender Mexi-Strats and a couple of Vantages (shudder). Picking up this instrument just felt right to me and seemed to fit me like an old t-shirt. This is definetly one of the best purchases I have ever made. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: Maxstone, on october 28, 2005

Sound: It suits my music style because it has a very metallic sound to it compared to the Strat for instance which was the guitar I had before this. I play metal/hardcore, I am using it with standard Marshall amps: MG15CDR, MG250DFX etc. and I am using it with Boss MT-2 pedal and with a DigiTech RP200 multi-FX. It is not noisy, it is very quiet, very rich metallic sound and there is a lot of variety in the sound if you spend time toying with the tone controls. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Thr guitar came very well set-up, there was only one flaw and that was that the tuning was a little off the standard EADGBe tuning. The pickups were set up fine, the back one is raised a fair bit but if it does not suit you then it is easily lowered. Bridge and neck were all fine, no bowing or humping in the neck and bridge was routed properly, there was no flaws other than the tuning. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it live yet but I'm 100% sure it will withstand live playing, hardware seems very strong and durable and the strap buttons are solid and will withstand and tension which is put on the strap, I would use it in a gig without a back up and I would depend on it. It seems like a thick finish and would last a long period of time. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal/hardcore and it fits me perfectly, I have been playing for 3 years, I am self-taught and I also own a Squier Strat and an acoustic, there is nothing I wish I could have asked and I would definately buy it again if it were say stolen or lost. I love its look, its horns, its weight, its smoothness and its quietness. I didn't have any other product in mind and I dont wish it had anything else. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: copperhead666, on december 05, 2005

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Features: I think that it was made in China, I'm not sure. It's got 22 fat frets on it's medium neck. I think it is 24.75" scale, it has a mahogany neck with an alder body. The body is incredibly thin and comfy to sit down and play with. Is has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with passive electronics and 3-way pickup selector. It has non locking tuners and came with a 1 year warranty. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of AC/DC and other classic rock and it is very responsive. It has a great bright clean sound and it is awesome for any type of metal. When you trun the gain to 10, it hisses, this can be fixed by turning the tone to 0 on the guitar. It can sound line a bass or like a Rickenbacker, it has a pretty jangly sound and is great for doing any kind of harmonics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The sirings buzz a little if you play hard enough, the pickups were too bassy, I fixed eaisly though. The neck is very soft, if you flick the headstock while playing an open string, the tone drops an entire 1/2 tone. The pickgaurd has a few scratches and is peeling in a few places. The input jack on the guitar is sometimes loose, but it is easy to fix. I need straplocks, the bottons that came with this guitar are nor that good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with it yet, but I wouldn't even think of bringing a backup guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rck and metal and this thing is amazing. I've been playing for 2 years and I have a peice 'o crap amp and a Boss DS1 pedal. It sounds great even with the horrible amp. If it were stolen, I would implail the robber with a stick and buy another guitar. My favortie feature is the guitar. I compared it with other products and they sucked. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: FXPenulla, on january 22, 2013

Purchased from: Crescendo Music Philippines

Features: Before I begin, I am gonna rate the guitar considering the price range it belongs to. The guitar was made in Indonesia. It has a bolt-on neck made of mahogany with rosewood fretboard. It has 22 medium jumbo frets. The body is made of mahogany and has the standard SG shape finished in ebony. It is equipped with Lock Tone Tune-O-Matic bridge. The pick ups are passive, 650R humbucker on the neck and 700T humbucker on the bridge. It has a 3 way pick up selector and a volume and tone knob for each pickup. It comes with non-locking Grover tuners. It did not come with any freebies just a box, Allen wrench, manual, a poster and an Epiphone sticker. // 8

Sound: My band's focus is mainly writing original material, but my influences as a guitarist cover almost all sub genres of rock. I do a little bit of everything (From bluesy licks of SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer on the neck pup. Some Dimebag and Hammett licks thanks to Andy James! Funk rock riffing of Morello and Frusciante on the bridge pup. Some psychedelic effects from Einziger and Lopez, and even some Mars And Mraz). But I am telling you, I am no virtuoso, just a random Joe, who loves playing with his guitar-o! Anyway the guitar seems to handle all the genres I play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well, the action was okay but I lowered it a little bit. The pick ups were a little low but its okay. You don't need no rocket science to adjust them. No flaws on the guitar. The strings were I believe a gauge 10. The guitar was very shiny and seem so elegant in ebony (was probably just sick of seeing my GAX-30 in transparent red). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I had it for just 2 months but was originally looking to get a G-400 to replace my Ibanez GAX-30. I didn't have the extra $100.00 for the G-400 so I got this. I have gigged with it twice. The first was an 8 song set list at a company event, and the second was a 3 song set list at an underground scene gig, both times without back up. The strap buttons seem sturdy. I was satisfied with my sound and the guitar did not get out of tune thanks to the Grover tuners. I am extra careful with it since its still pretty new so I can't judge how long the finish will last but it does feel thick. // 9

Overall Impression: It fits my style of playing. I learned to play acoustic guitar when I was 14, and played with bands in high school and college, but I didn't have my own electric guitar and I just used guitars from friends from other bands during jam sessions and gigs. I've never been really been serious about it until I got my first electric guitar which was an Ibanez GAX30 about 3-4 years ago, which I still have. Since then I have been playing at least an hour every day after work. I play my guitars in this set up (in order): Guitar - Korg Pitchblack - Morley Power Wah - EHX Little Big Muff - DigiTech Death Metal - Boston Noise Gate - DAno Fish n Chips EQ - Mooer Pitch Box - VS Garagetone Phaser - VS Garagetone Tremolo - Boss CE5 - Ibanez DE7 - Boston M15 Amplifier. If it gets stolen, well I would beat up that dude t('_'t). I would probably be getting a Epi G-400PRO as a replacement or a Squier Tele Custom II, which will probably be both in the US$450-500 here in the Philippines. I compared it to a Epi Les Paul Special II, Epi SG Special, Epi G400/G400PRO and some guitars in the Cort Zenox line, and some Hamer X Series guitars. I chose this because it left me some moolah to purchase a noise gate, instead of getting the G400, I didn't like the finish on some Cort guitars available at that time, the Hamer ones are a little out of my budget like the G400, so I got this. It is a very good guitar for beginner to intermediate players. I just wish it had chrome covered pickups like EMG or Tesla and bell top knobs so it would look very identical to a 1967 Gibson SG, which are the mods I will be doing in the near future. Overall, I would recommend this to a friend/bandmate looking for a guitar in the $300 - $400 range here in the Philippines. Please check my video demos for my guitars! Epiphone G-310:

Ibanez GAX-30:
Cheers from the Philippine Islands! // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: xJohnxAnarchyx, on june 21, 2007

Purchased from: Freds Music

Features: I think the model I own is a 05 to 06. It has nicely fitted 22 frets. I don't recall the scale but it's mainly like all Epiphones running the 24-3/4" scale. It's got an Alder body with a mahogany neck I'm pretty sure of. When I bought it it had a lil oh so tiny piece cut out of the back from someone dropping it. Didn't make much of a difference. The finish was a glossy Vintage White so it's one that you don't see everyday. Unlike the cherry red which is pretty much what everyone seems to like. Of course it has the SG body style, nice and pointy. I have the tune-o-matic on it. It works well. I don; t know the exact style of electronics but I think they're passive. It's got two volume, two tone, and the three way selector. Which is good for running it clean and dirty jst by flicking the Switch. Basic alnico open-coil pickups. Neck and bridge. Non-locking Grover tuners. When I bought this it did not come with any accessories which sucked because I had to use my Strat bag for a while. // 10

Sound: I mainly play any style but more of Punk and Metal. So it works well in both styles. I'm running a Drive CD100 practice amp and a Peavy I think 75watt as my gig amp. It may be louder I honestly don't know. I use a Zoom box as my effects pedal when my friends over. It' not at all noisy. It's got a nice sound. I always have my tones rolled all the way up so it's usually a bright sound. It can play any style of music. It all depends what settings you use on your amp. It works with anything like bends, vibratos, pinch and artificial harmonics. It has good sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I got it was really good. Nothing too special. Just good action. The pickup in the bridge posistion was a little high but that was adjusted easily. Everything was in proper working order. Mainly the flaws on it came from the above mentioned drop at the shop. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand Live playing. I use it alot. I play few shows. Very few. But I do practice about 4-5 hours a day and it's still working. Solid hardware. One thing I don't reccomend is using the three-way selector for a killswitch by rolling off the one volume. After a while it will be flimsy. So I wouldn't reccomend Buckethead on this guitar. But all in all it looks as though it will last. I've owned this guitar for about a year and so far so good. Except for the messed up selector. The strap buttons are solid but they are rounded off so I would recommend strap locks if you're gonna be running around on stage. I would use it in a gig without a back-up but it's always safe to have a back-up just in case something were to happen. The finish is really good. It's a gloss finish and it hasn't worn away yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play punk, rock, and metal so it works well with those styles. I've been playing for a year and a half. Besides this I own a Suzuki Strat and a Drive CD100 Amp. I wouldn't ask questions before buying it. Mainly if you pick it up and it plays good I would just say buy it. I think I would buy it again. It's mainly the fact of the coloring. You don't see a Vintage White one like my own around much. I really love the dual humbuckers. Honestly it is my favorite pickup arrangement. I also like the tune-o-matic bridge but sometimes I wish it had a tremelo, but a six-point not the big flloyd rose. I would say there is nothing I hate about this guitar. My favorite feature on this is the color, the pickups, and the bridge. I didn't really compare this with other products because it caught my eye at that point more than any other single guitar. One thing I wish it had was locking Steinberg or Sperzel tuners. But otherwise I am 100% overall satisfied with my purchase. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: BFun, on april 03, 2008

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

Features: Pretty standard features; two tone knobs, two volume knobs, full size pickguard (batwing I think it's called), two open coil humbuckers, chrome hardware, bolt-on neck, Alder body with mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. This guitar is pretty much inbetween the bare-basics SG Special and the G-400. With the same pup's as the SG Special, but with more control knobs and added pickguard. // 8

Sound: The sound is pretty good, the humbuckers are the tiniest bit muddy, but not really too bad. The pickups can get a little noisy on high gain settings but not horrendously bad as some single coil beginner guitars. The G-310 can handle quite a variety of styles, from blues to metal, but excels at hard rock stuff like AC/DC and the like. Its clean sound is pretty good on the neck and middle positions, but the bridge doesn't sound great. On the other hand, the bridge is great for distortion, but the neck pickup can get a bit muddy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really comment too much here, since it was a floor model. But when I got it there were scratches on the pickguard, but that's about it. Action was nice and low and the pickups were adjusted fine. The finish looks very thick and hasn't begun to wear off yet, although there is some "buckle rash" which is to be expected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is where it scores low. After having this guitar for 2 years, it's had its fair share of problems. The strap buttons need regular tightening. At one point the E string was buzzing madly and wouldn't stay in tune. I've had pretty bad intonation problems. The neck had almost fallen off (Bolts coming loose) and the input has dropped into the guitar. I've also had to solder the input wire back on twice. While I shouldn't expect too much from a beginner's guitar, it could have been built slightly better. // 5

Overall Impression: Its a good match to the styles of music I dabble in, however, I wished this guitar had a set neck, because the bolt-on joint and the small cutaways make for very hard uppper-fret access. I compared this guitar to the SG Special, Special II and Yamaha Pacifica and this beat them all sound wise. Overeall, not too bad for a beginners guitar, with good sound and great playability (minus upper fret access). But it has its share of reliability issues. I would recommend this guitar to a beginner, but would probably hesitate to bring this to a Live gig w/o backup now that I have two guitars. // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: HarriDevil, on may 30, 2008

Features: The Epiphone G-310 came with a gig bag Peavey amp and cable at a total payment of $510.00.It has a thin 22 fret neck made from ebony and it's a solid body. It weighs 4 kg they give volume and tone controls and 2 pick-ups and the gig bag is great for tacking my guitar out to school lessons etc. // 8

Sound: The G-310fits my style(rock) I am just using a Peavey amp with it it's a good inside noises but it can handle just as well set on loud. Its got a small variety on sounds but it is a nice clear sound and it's more a nice and simple controls for beginners but is just as satisfying for advansed players. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The G-310 can pretty well set up the only flaw was the strap nut was loose and after about 2 months the neck needed adjusting. The pick-ups needed adjusting up a bit But over all it has been working very nice and I have had hardly any trouble the wood is beautiful the hardware has been going great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can say the G-310 is very strong and should to my understanding withstand Live playing.It seems it is durable in all aspects. The only faults are the strap buttons are a bit loose. Over all I can depend on it all the time and it always stays fit and strong at all times. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a beginner(18 months)and don't really no what I want yet but I think it a very good guitar for beginners and advanced players. I also own a Marshall mini amp, Peavey amp and a tuner. There was not much variety being a left handed but it was a stand out.I love the fell of it and the way it sounds and the only thing I would add is it need more affects and it rates for me a 9 out of 10. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: oneblackened, on october 27, 2008

Features: I believe this was made in 05 or 06, at the Samick Indonesia factory. It has an alder body with two Epiphone alnico humbuckers, and 2 volume and tone controls, with a three-way Switch. I don't know what the neck was made of, but it was something quite soft. It has a tune-o-matic bridge/stop tail, and unbranded generic budget tuners. It has an extremely glossy fire engine red finish. It also has a rosewood fretboard. Considering the price, it's not bad here. // 5

Sound: The sound is not very good, in general. I'm using it with a Marshall VS30R, which isn't a good amp. It's muddy, yet too bright at the same time, and the pickups just aren't of good quality. I play everything from Blues to Metal and it does none of them well. The variety of the sounds it makes isn't good; it's basically mud/more mud. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up... okay... at the factory, and there was nothing clearly wrong with it. In fact, there was very little wrong with it. The pickups were adjusted fine, and there were no routing errors (as far as I could tell). The neck was positioned too far in, so frets 18-22 are unaccessible. The only real flaw was that the tuners were loose, quite honestly. This is where the guitar was best, in my book. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not withstand live playing. The hardware is fine, in fact, I have it on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard now. The strap buttons are tiny, and are a disaster waiting to happen. The neck bowed beyond truss adjustment, as I believe it is made of non-reinforced basswood. the finish is insanely thick and will only come off if it's hit against something hard. I'd never gig with this; it's a beginners guitar and doesn't stand up to much. // 3

Overall Impression: Not a good match for me, and my music. I got this as a gift after I had been playing for about six months. I wish I had tried the guitar before my parents had bought it, since it has some serious flaws. If it were stolen I'd let the thief keep it, since I don't care about it and he can try to sell it and get nothing from it. I loved the neck, but I hated everything else about this guitar. Not very good, quite honestly. // 4

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2012

Features: Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, 2 humbucker pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 tone knobs, 2 volume knobs, 3-way pickup selector, 3-ply pickguard. My G-310 has a beautiful, black, glossy finish. // 8

Sound: I usually play rock, grunge, punk, alternative metal. The distorted sound with full gain is perfect - really dark, heavy and gloomy. There is no unwanted noise. You can reach a great tone for solos using the bridge pickup and a rock&roll style with the neck pickup. But when only you want to play blues, jazz, funk etc... Please, don't even think about it. G-310 sounds awfully on clean - muddy and without clarity. If you're a Hendrix, Frusciante, SRV fan, forget about this guitar (but I suppose Fender fan wouldn't even look at this SG). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar, the action was terrible - really high but it didn't reduce buzzing at all. I had to adjust the bridge and also replace the nut after one month. All the frets were sharp and sticked out of the neck. The pickup selector was loose and a little bit noisy. The fingerboard... Well, it started to damage after three months (despite taking care of it). When my friend saw my SG three month after the purchase, he was sure it was bought as a used guitar, not as a new one! Anyway, I love the knobs- they seem to be very solid and are made of good quality plastic (not like in Strats). There was nothing wrong with the body. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The worst thing about gigging a SG is a really big weight of this guitar and the neck, that is really heavy (problems with balance). That's why playing standing is quite difficult. The strap buttons look solid, I don't try to be crazy on stage, jump, run etc., so I think they will last for some years. Once I've bumped the headstock into the cupboard and there's only a little, almost unvisible scratch. However, I don't use G-310 as my first guitar, it's usually a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: Epiphone G-310 isn't a versatile guitar, so if you're planning to buy it as the first axe in your life and you're not sure what kind of music you're going to play, look for another guitar. But if you've already decided to play hard rock or metal and don't want to spend too much money - take G-310, a real 'overdrive demon' (however, I would rather buy Schecter Omen 6 - it's a very nice guitar, that looks absolutely GREAT, especially in 'electric blue' colour, and only a little bit more expensive)! But remember to look at this Epiphone carefully and check, if it has any defects. I wish I had done it before buying my Epiphone! The neck is very thick, so if you have small hands, it may be uncomfortable. But it can also be a good feature - your palm doesn't get tired so fast. After almost 2 years of playing G-310 I suppose that I wouldn't buy this guitar again, if it was stolen. My music taste has evolved a bit, maybe that's why. Anyway, this axe compared f.e. to my friend's cheaper Squier Strat, has plenty of flaws. On the other hand, SG has the most beautiful shape you could ever imagine and the black, glossy finish is so elegant and 'naughty' at the same time - amazing! // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: HTDrules, on march 25, 2004

Purchased from: MacCormaks Glasgow

Features: The G-310 is basically just a stripped down version of the G-400. It has 22 frets the pickups aren't covered and wont be as good as the Gibson pickups that come with most other Epi's. It's a case of traditional Gibson pickup set up as usual (which means HH to the uneducated) each pickup also has its own seperate volume and tone pot and the standard treble and rythmn selecter. One of the most interesting things I've noticed while messing around with the guitar is the ability to turn off one of the pickups allowing you to pull off Tom Morrello style effects (think the octave solo fom Wake Up). The G-310 breaks tradition in some way from the more conventional SG in that the neck is a bolt on and not the more common thru neck you find on SG's. The bridge as with most Gibson style guitars is Tune-o-matic but the machine heads are not the more common plastic as Epiphone have opted to put metal tunning pegs on the guitar. // 10

Sound: When i first bought the G-310 I was playing in a punk band playing traditional 4 chords fun music, the musics changed to a more metal feel but the guitar hasn't. The G-310 suits pretty much any style thats thrown at it. It sounds as good overdriven as does clean, however it lacks something in the bridge possition clean but the neck pickup makes up flly for this. My amp set up currently is a Peavy studio amp from arround 1993 with a Marshal Guvnor distortion pedal and through this the SG sounds superb. With the seperate volume pots a variety of effects can be used esecially if other effects pedals are used alongside the guitar allowin eve n novice guitarists to pull off Tom Morrello style noises. All in all its a great sounding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Don't really know much of the technical stuff so I'm gonna say yeah here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I've not had the chance to showcase this guitar live as my band arent playing live yet im going on what I would think if we were playing gigs. The G-310 does seem like it would withstand a live performance but with all SG style guitars the G-310 does suffer from tuning problems (i.e. keeping the tunning while string bending and the like) the other problem I've encountered is the finish isnt that strong as I have dented the guiatr and chiped some of the paint affecting the sound of the guiatr while playinvg without an amp. But aside from that the G-310 is a realtively sturdy guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: The G-310 suits most musical styles and can acomodate the novice guitarist to the expert and for the price of arround 200 nobody should complain because you're getting a quality guiatr for a fraction of the price it should be. When I bought this guitar I went out with every intention of buying an Epi Les Paul but was blow away with both the price and playability of the G-310. I would recommend this guitar to anybody looking for a guitar to play punk, metal, rock, blues and almost any kind of guiatr based music. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: DRU_SX, on july 01, 2005

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Features: See, other peoples articals for the details from the website, or just check the website your self. All in all, its got everything I need without being too complicated. Still the strings supplied with it weren't the best, not a huge deal buyin your own thought. // 10

Sound: G310 sounds great, I'm playin with a Fender amp right now and it follows really well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, like I sayd with the stings it wasnt in the best settings for me, so I adjusted it to suit me really, the action was set way up, on all stings, so I lowered that where I felt nescessary, added some ernie balls dropped down the humm's cos they were set too high and puttin a magnetic strain on my low e and a string causin a slight buzz when played with no amp. Also, I found it more stabling to take the washer from the outside of the lead jack off and tighten the nut directly onto the body, it doesn't keep coming loose now. yeah, so if you're prepared to make your own adjustments to the factory setting its goin to be a pretty reliable setup, but replace the strings for the love of god! // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's proud to be a solid guitar, and you can tell, it lives up to its big daddy name like that guy in the godfather. I've had it for about a year now and it's seen its share of bumps and buckles and its withstandin really well. Very reliable, just make sure your leads are too avoid the crappy leads or ones that are expensive just for the silver finish on the jack, they never last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of music, and it picks up everything I've hit so far. I play it through a Fender amp and sometimes a boss distortion pedal, with good proel leads. If you must know I use the picks that have alien head features on them, I like the visual connection. Overall its a great guitar for the money, all you need to be willing to do is make a few changes of your own, so I donno if it would be great for a first time guitar, maybe a second guitar or anythin over that. At a push I would like to see it with higher quality seymour duncan's, but thats a personal preference. And it'll get them soon as I find the money. Anyway, like I sayd, it's a great SG model, and eveything fits for the price, but I gotta say, it's no Gibson SG. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Features: OK for all the technical stuff, just read the other reviews. I think it was made this year, and made in China. It's a G-310, do a search, find the details. This is my first electric guitar, I've been playing acoustic (just learning) for a few months. I'm a beginner, and I reckon it's got all I need, so I give it 10. // 10

Sound: I want to play AC/DC, that's the style. Other hard rock/metal as well. I bought this with a Roland Cube 15, and that's got four FX: OD, distort, metal, and met stack. I run the 310 through the distort and it gives me the AC/DC hard rock. The metal fx are noisy and too powerful for any sustained notes, might be okay for palm muting, but I can't palm mute yet. The G-310 looks like a Gibson SG, I got a black one, because my other choice was a funny red colour and looks weird, not good weird, just ugly. So if you play it clean through the amp it sounds clean. So I guess with any FX or amp sounds you are going to get a good range. Two HB pickups, three way selector, two volume and tone pots per pickup, would give a big range. My only problem is that I got the perfect set up with amp, pots, selector and everything, exactly matching the crunchy AC/DC sound and then I changed the settings, I can remember what I did now. But it sounds great, I don't know what others are like, but I think this would be a good beginners guitar, but not just a beginners guitar. It feels like there's more to it than I'll ever understand or learn. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think it was set up fine right out of the box, those chinese know how to tune to factory standards. It was almost in tune. Then I started reading about intonation, and got a bit carried away. So then I checked intonation for all strings, low E was out, but most of the other strings were fine. I fiddled with the E and gave up. It sounds fine. I just noticed that tuning all strings with a chromatic tuner and then doing the e5=a/a5=g tuning left them slightly out of tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will stand live playing, but I'd like to see it pushed through a stage amp before I can say it. Everything seems okay. It's got a big scratch pad, so it should withstand broad pick sweeps. Strap buttons are solid enough but I haven't really used it. I think the finish is deep enough. I wouldn't like to drop it (and haven't) so I am not going to try. // 7

Overall Impression: Good match for hard rock or metal. Been playing for a month, own the little Roland Cube 15 watt. I wish I had asked for someone to play it clean through a stage amp, or really ram it through some licks. I'd have liked someone to tell me which world-class guitarists are using it but I think none. If it was lost (inconceivable) or stolen (possible) then I would track down the culprit and destroy them. But I would probably buy another Epi in a bit higher price bracket. Overall this is a fine guitar that I am really going to enjoy (I can just tell). I wish it was a bit lighter, but I am not used to guitars yet, so we'll see. Maybe I will put up another review in six months. But for now I'd give it an overall 9. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: CemtaryDrive10, on december 15, 2005

Purchased from: music123.com

Features: I got this earlier this year, and it rocks. It's an SG style (I love the SG look), 22 frets, 24.75 scale bolt on neck rosewood fretboard. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge and stop piece. 2 humbuckers with 2 vol and 2 tone and 3-way selecter Switch. The tuners are non locking, and about the only feature that isnt so great. Everything else works like a dream. // 8

Sound: I play rock/punk/post hardcore and this guitar is just perfect. The humbuckers can either play rich and full clean tones or house shaking death metal, and everything in between. I have a Behringer V-Ampire and when I play In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed And Cambria I can go from the clean intro to the rocking verse no problem, this guitar handles it perfectly. I also play The Used, My Chemical Romance, Funeral For A Friend, Taking Back Sunday, The Explosion, Dropkick Murphys and Modest Mouse, and all of them sound great so you can see the versatility of this guitar. This is pretty much an all-purpose guitar. It's not amazing in one sound and crap in another, its just great in all. You can play huge solos and leads or play rythem guitar, and both sound good on this guitar. Only problem is it buzzes just a little with distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up all that great for my needs from the factory. The action was high for my tastes, but some people like a high action so its all prefrence I guess. The pickups were adjusted alright, but I recently changed the height to get more power. The finish was just beautiful and granted I have dented and scratched it a bit, it still is amazing. I got the red finish, and the red is nice and bright, and feel of the finish is great. I especially love that they painted the back of the neck. It makes playing feel like sitting back in a lazy boy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The body itself is amazingly durable. I've done just about everything youd ever do accidentally to it and its only got scratches and small dents. The input jack and high E tuning peg are coming loose though, but those can be tightened easily. The strap buttons are fine, never come loose once. This is the only guitar I take to jams and gigs and its just great. The finish will probably last a while granted there will be scratches and dents but thats normal. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I play rock/punk/post hardcore stuff and this guitar takes it all. I've been playing for about a year and a half and this is my second guitar. It's lasted great and I believe it will last great for a long time to come. If I it were stolen and I only had enough for this priced guitar I'd definitly buy it again. It easily could be sold for 350-400 bucks, but it's only 250 normally (I paid 200 'cause I got mine on sale). Everything about it is just amazing except the tuners. But that just means I have to tune a little more often then others. If this had some nicer tuners, I wouldnt ever question buying a new one for a few years. this is definitly a good begginer/backup guitar or a guitar to have while you save up for something expensive. It's definitly worth the money though. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Musikhuset Aage Jensen

Features: My G-310 is a 2005 production, with 22frets and Rosewood fretboard. I got mine in the Ebony Black finish. The bridge is a regular stop-bar as seen on the Gibson's. There are 2 tone and 2 volume (one for each humbucker) and a 3-way Switch. My pickups are stock Epiphone Open humbuckers. // 8

Sound: It's fits my style OK, not perfect but it does the job, my style is rock and metal (Metallica style). I am running it with a Marshall MG15DFX amp and it's a great beginners combo. Between that and the amp there is a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal and a Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal. It's not that noisy but when cranked really high it aint the big pleasure as it can be a bit noisy there. It can make alot of sounds, personally I often do solos with regular electric sounds, and also solos where the distortion pedal gets the "Dist" button cranked way to much. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was very well setup, besides from the strings it played very well. The Pickups were perfect for me. The top was proper, and the same for the bridge. It didn't have any flaws which were visual besides the controls weren't 100% straight. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes in some point it will, but I wouldn't combine it with anything very wild on the amp front. The Hardware seems ok, and the strap buttons are great. I would depend on it allthough it would not be my first choice for a gig and I would most certainly bring a backup. The finish will last despite it easily gets scratched at the pick up guard. // 7

Overall Impression: I play rock, and the guitar is good, although my sort of rock doesent fit it perfectly. I have been playing for 1month, and I also have a Marshall MG15DFX, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah. I really miss a vibrator arm, the Angus Young SG from Gibson has it, and its a great feature. I would probably not buy it again if it was stolen, I would probably get a Gretsch. I love its heavy metal looks, but people are pretty "pre-judging" when using this guitar in my opinion. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: dark_destiny, on january 09, 2006

Features: The guitar I am reviewing is the Epiphone G-310 a remake of one of the all time classic models the Gibson SG. I am not sure what year it was manufactured but it was made in Indonesia. I got this guitar with a padded gig bag, guitar strap, 6m or so lead, a few picks, and cloth to clean it. It is a solid body electric and it has a glossy black finish. The guitar's body is made of alder and the neck a bolt-on type made of mahogany. There are 22 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. Chrome hardware and a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece to match. The guitar was already stringed and I they are a light gauge. The pickups are open coil humbuckers and this guitar also has 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, a 3-way pickup selector, one for rhythm (front pickup) the other for treble (back pickup). And the best part about it the classic SG shape. Because of the horns the second strap button the one at the higher point of the body is located on the back of the guitar but no problems there. I absolutely love the look mainly because the SG shape is my favourite and it has a nice black finish to match. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my sound very well because it is very versatile and I can get an array of sounds from it. It can be used for a variety of genres including rock, metal, blues and funk, it can handle all these tones very well if you get your settings right. Although it has a great clean sound the main one here is the distortion and overdrives really well. Sometimes though it's hard to get a lighter distortion since this guitar is quite heavy but then I just plug my effects pedal in and play with the settings. I'm surprised though how good the clean is for Humbucker pickups. Changing between pickups is obvious as the rhythm pickup gives a darker chord bashing sound while the treble pickup is excellent for lead and individual notes giving a brighter sound. There is a reasonable amount of variety here as having the pickup selctor on neutral balances the sound out. I especially like the rich tone on the treble setting. The guitar when on higher volume such as 10 gives a natural crunchy sort of feel and is not really noisy. I am playing all this through a small Marshall practice amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is just about absolutely perfect and the bridge setup is perfect. The rhythm pickup is a little loose but it's not going anywhere it just wiggles if you move it which you shouldn't anyway. The treble pickup though is reasonably close to the strings and when playing if you are not picking right you can hit it but I usually have my pick only go down a little bit between the strings when I am playing. Once you are used to the height of the pickup there is nothing wrong at all. All components were in place and there were only a slight few scratches which aren't really noticable. The one flaw was the input jack where the lead is plugged in. The nut on top came undone and the jack fell inside the body but it was easily fixed. When the guitar was assembled the unit who did it used the wrong washer but I fixed that up now it is firmly in place. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar so far has been taken to friend's places and travelled and is holding up well. Though somehow there is a ding in the fretboard behind the first fret, this must have happened when I bumped it one time majorly. It doesn't affect the playability though and is only noticable at certain angles, the guitar was perfect when I bought it. he other components of the guitar so far have not decreased in quality and are maintianing themselves no problems as such yet. This includes the strap buttons they are reliable and sturdy, the strap stays on firm. Although I have accidentally knocked it a few times the finish has taken no damage and seems to be strong. This guitar although it seems reliable I would always try and carry a backup even though I probably wouldn't need one. Durable and reliable, sturdy and comfortable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar suits me very well. I originally wanted to get a Gothic series guitar because I love the matt black finish, preferably an SG and I found one but the price on the Gothic version was not in my range. This guitar was, and for it's price is excellent. I had a choice of a Squier or this and a few others. This guitar had the best look and features out of the lot. The main reason I picked this guitar was due to the beautiful black shiny finish and wicked horns that make it a looker as well as a playable guitar. I picked it up and didn't change my mind at all. If it was stolen etc. then I would be very angry and would have to replace it maybe with a Goth G-400 or a regular SG. I have been playing for a year now and am starting to focus more and learn properly and this guitar will help me along the way. I reccommend this model for someone who wants to rock out or play a bit of metal here and there like me as it is excellent for beginner intermediate or advanced. It's my first electric guitar and I prefer it over my mate's other guitars any day. All in all a great buy. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: highwaytohell13, on january 30, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: My G-310 was an '06 model and was made in Indonesia, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think epiphones are assembled in the US. Not quite sure. The neck is ebony I think but it is smooth and plays nice. I own the white finish, and I belive it looks the best. It really looks nice. It's a Standard Tune-O-Matic stop bar bridge. It also has the standard 4 knobs, two volume two tone, and a treble/rythm Switch. The tuners are good but g string goes out of tune sometimes. // 9

Sound: Since I spent the first part talking about features I will start gushing now. This guitar is amazing! It fits my style perfectly (classic rock)and makes me happy when I play it. I play it through a Crate 2X12 combo and I sometimes use a Rocktron flanger (good pedal). It's not noisy at all, and has a great sound, the sound you weould expect from a more expensive guitar. I can get a number of sounds, from high sparkling cleans to bluesy overdrive, to gain laden crunch and scream! it really is versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this guitar, it was out of tune but basically ready to play. The pickups were adjusted fine and the bridge and intonation were near perfect. The strings were changed, but other than that nothing did. The guitar had one flaw in it, which was on the finish. After recieving this guitar, very careful examination of my new instrument revealed a tiny, minute speck of black paint, like someone was spray painting near the guitar and a speck floated on it. No one besides me would notice it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. Playing live it does great. The hardware is durable also. I don't know if the strap buttons were solid because I replaced them with Dunlop straplocks. It is very dependable and I would use it on a gig with out a backup with peace of mind. The finish is excellent, and this guitar is through and through durable. I drop it and it falls (the headstock is heavy) and it just keeps truckin. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, and again this is a perfect match. I have been playing about two/ three years and I also own a Squier Strat, my first guitar. This guitar blows it away. The humbuckers sound good, and it's just perfect. If it was stolen, I would hunt them down, kick their ass, and then buy a new one if the first was damaged. if lost, replaced really fast. I love that it is durable, looks nice and sounds great and is versatile. I wish it had trapezoid inlays and a set neck, but for 200 bucks it is nice enough. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: DOA12345, on july 20, 2007

Features: Mine is a 2006 model with a "classic" white finish. The tuners and pickups were factory made so I wasn't expecting much. It came in a box with a truss-rod adjuster and a cable. It Has 22 frets like most SG model guitars. However, it has a bolt on neck making it a bitch to reach any fret past the nineteenth fret without repositioning your hand. It has a tune o matic bridge which aloows for pretty easy string changes. There is a three way pickup selector, two tone and two volume knobs. Over the course of a year, my guitar sometimes produces a very weak sound when I Switch to the neck pickup, which sucks because I use the neck for most of my solos. // 7

Sound: I normally play classic rock and metal, and this thing does great for both. I was very impressed with the sound of this because it is a budget model. I use this with a 30 watt Fender amp, a Danelectro overdrive pedal, and an original crybaby wah. When I turn everything on, this thing is noisy as hell, but I normally play at high volumes with loads of gain and treble so I kinda expect it. THe neck pickup produces a very rich and creamy tone and the bridge pickup is fantastic for acdc, Black Sabbath, and led zeppelin solos. Plus, the bridge pickup produces some very extreme pinch harmonics with ease. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was reasonable when I got it, but I adjusted it so that it was almost touching the neck and there was very little if none buzzing. The pickups were adjusted correctly and the bridge was routed properly. There weren't that many flaws however, after a couple months of playing, the bridge was rusting slightly and strings were breaking very easily. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very dependable. At the beginning of the year I put in some Dunlop straplocks and they have been holding up. I would feel safe bringing this guitar to a gig without a backup and I have before. Over a year the paint has only chipped off in one little spot that's hardly noticeable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this a great beginners guitar or second guitar. I have been playing for five years and this thing has held up nicely. If it were stolen I spend a little more money on a G-400 with three pickups. I love the sound of this guitar, but I hate the neck that doesn't allow easy fret access like most SG guitars will allow. My Favorite feature is the look of the guitar, it's visually stunning for a cheap guitar. If anything, I wish this guitar had a set neck for easier fret reach and for longer sustain. // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: cheeseisthebomb, on september 10, 2007

Purchased from: Musician Freind

Features: this guitar came with hardwood body, Bolt-on mahogany neck, 22 frets, Rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, Tune-O-Matic bridge, Stopbar tailpiece, Chrome tuners and stock pickups. It came with no gig bag, strap or anything like that. The Pickups could of been a little better but that is my only complaint. // 9

Sound: The sound is full, and seems to be darker than average. I play a lot of Classic Rock and an SG is suited just for that. I am using it through a Marshall MGDFX and oh boy does it scream. I'm using a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, and a Dunlop Crybaby as well and everything sounds perfect. This guitar can make a very large varitey of sounds. When I first bought I was playing a lot of metal but since then I've went into the more classic rock/blues rock and still sounds perfect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There is a problem with the neck pickup because it wasn't set up as well as it could've been. It also has a noisy pickup selector. It aslo comes out of tune easily. The Finsih is above average an the tuning pegs are on decently. The bridge is properly routed from my point of veiw. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand Live playing but I would still bring a backup for string breakings and such. The strap buttons are solid. The finish has lasted 3 years with me so I think it has another few years to go. I can always depend on this guitar, or any Epiphone guitar I own. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and an Epiphone couldn't be much more perfect. I have been playing for 6-7 years and trust me, this guitar is good. If it were stolen I'd probably buy an Epiphone Vintage G-400 just to make a small improvment. The neck plays quick and the tuning knobs are on there good, but it comes out of tune easily and the pickups weren't set up near as good as I would have wished. This guitar but my freinds B\.C\. Rich Warlock to shame. It could of come with better pickups, but when wiring it with some Gibson Pickups (any kind of pickup, whatever suits you) it sounds great. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: phillipssg, on october 11, 2007

Features: The guitar features a 22 fret bolt on mahogany neck, and a double cut alder body. It is fitted with two open coil humbuckers, a 3-way selector, 2 tone and 2 volume pots and an odd magnetism that attracts hot chicks. Before I continue complimenting this guitar, I just want to say that the guy I bought it off was advertising it as a 'Good Starter Guitar', but it's much much more than a starter guitar! // 9

Sound: Ok, the sound. I reckon your probably thinking '150 for a Gibson copy, the sounds probably limited and has a poor range'. Wrong. It has an impressive range of sounds, my favourite being with the bridge pickup selected and the tone controls right down, when finger tapping it sounds exactly like Buckethead. The tone is beautifully warm and it sounds superb with distortion to the maximum through my Fender Frontman amplifier! Also it's very easy to do 'pinch harmonics', and combined with the ease of creating whining noises on the higher frets and the unbelievably low action (the strings are about 2-3mm off the fretboard and I've experienced no fret buzz) it sounds great when playing any solo. But (yes there's a 'but') the only problem I've had with the sound is when I play it without distortion, every string apart from the low E sounds clean, it's as though there's a very bad distortion applied to the E string and it doesn't sound at all good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only issue that I had with the setup of the guitar was that the neck was fitted on at a very slight angle, resulting in an excess of fretboard by the high e string and little fretboard by the low E string. Also, the colour of the body is a light cream but the neck is a different shade of cream. Other than that, the guitar is very durable (unfortunately I dropped it once while sitting down on stage and it survived with only a dent, none of the paint had chipped off). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar, I got the best sound out of it when playing Black Sabbath's Paranoid solo, it sounded immense and most of all it felt extremely nice to play, it's as though this guitar was made for hammer on's/pull off's and the resonant sound that escapes from them Humbuckers gets the crowd screamin'! // 10

Overall Impression: If there was one thing I could change about the guitar, it would be the dot inlays on the fretboard. I say this about nearly every guitar I review. It's my personal preference really, I just hate dot inlays, I think they should at least be similar to the classic Gibson SG inlays, that thin strip. Anyway, overall a very good guitar, and the extremely cheap price is a bonus. Unfortunately I have to say that if it was lost/stolen I would not buy another, due to a new low paid job. But of course if I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about buying another! // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: Rock Damnation, on november 13, 2007

Features: Mine's a 2006 Epi G-310 made in Taiwan. It has a bolt on neck, 22 frets a 3 way Switch and 2 tone changers along with 2 volume changers. It has a 700T pickup in the bridge and a 650R in the neck (the same used for the Special). The neck is made of Mahogany and the body is made of Basswood. Overall not too many features but keep in mind that it is a lower end SG. // 7

Sound: I play mainly hard rock and blues, which this guitar can allow with the right amp. I use mine through a Fender 15G amp which can give it good distortion, but it won't give you the powerful blues crunch. I have also used it through a Dean Markley K-150 which can give it a good hard rock sound. It can give you a pretty good amount of treble if you adjust the amp and put the treble on full volume and turn the bass and middle down if you're after that Chuck Berry-esque kind of squeal. Overall it's pretty versatile, it really depends what type of amp you use it through. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar did have a few problems when I first got it. Firstly, the guitar was completely out of tune and took quite a while to get into tune. Secondly, the tuners on the head aren't very good so this guitar needs to constantly be tuned every time you use it. Finally, the biggest problem I've had with it is that the wiring inside has broken and needs to be repaired as it's currently giving me feedback whenever plugged in. Also, keep in mind that this guitar has a bolt on neck, not a set neck like the other SG's, meaning while it still gives good fret access, it doesn't give as good fret access as the others. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand Live playing if used properly. Just be weary of the strap button near the neck (a problem with most SG's) as if you move the wrong way, the strap will get loose causing the guitar's neck to drop. The hardware will last if taken care of. It's probably best used as a backup guitar. The paint job is alright, but needs to be taken care of as it is quite prone to show scratch marks and chips if not carefully stored on a stand. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for beginners, but more experienced musicians would be better off with going for a higher end SG. If this guitar was stolen, I'd probably either replace it with a G400 or a higher end Epi Les Paul (of if I had the extra money a Gibson SG Standard). It's better than most Squires, but against the Gibson SG Standard, this guitar is merely a cheap imitation. If you're willing to spend the money get the Gibson SG Standard or if that's out of your price range go get the G400 with the set neck and alnico humbuckers. Overall, not fantastic but there are certainly a lot worse. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: hockeyrockcars, on march 07, 2008

Purchased from: Pro Music

Features: The Epiphone SG-310 was released in 2006. it's body is the clasic SG double cutaway. The body is alder and neck is mahogany with a cherry colored finish. It is topped off with a black pickguard (which is very helpful in keeping it looking good). It has 22 frets, 4 tone dials, a 3-way pickup selector, a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and 2 open coil pickups. // 10

Sound: I like to play a lot of Green Day's old punk songs they sound best on treble with tone at 10. I am also a huge Buckethead fan and rythem on the tone selector with the tone on 0 sounds great with his grunge style. The guitar isn't made of a very dense wood so it can't hold a note as long as others. The classic GNR type songs don't sound the best, but I think that's more my amp than anything. I have an old Peavey bravo 112, but it works pretty well with this guitar. The strings in their stock position are close to the fretboard so it works well with the tapping on EVH's Eruption. When I troggle between pickups it crackels a little (I think that's from trying to play Jordan too much. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory was perfect. I haven't adjusted anything. I did find a loose screw in between the body and a pickup. The nut on the imput does constantly have to be tightened, but it isn't much of a problem. Otherwise all the parts of the guitar were in pristine order when I bought it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like I said earlier, the pickup selector crackles some. Cables have some trouble comeing in and out of the input. Besides that it is a durible guitar. I got custom lock straps so I don't know how solid the strap buttons would be. It would definately get me through a gig. I the electronics inside definately wouldn't all of the sudden die on me. I don't know how well it would fare if I dropped it though. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar can do most music styles. It works great for grunge and punk, a little shaky on classic rock, but overall it is sutible for almost anybody. I love the fact that it has more than one pickup so it can make different tones. My first single pickup guitar doesn't compare to this. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: Chris_gotts23, on june 10, 2008

Purchased from: Musician Freind

Sound: Well, this was my first electric guitar, so I didn't really have a specific music style. I began to play '80s metal, and this guitar fit along perfectly. However, I then began to get into '60s and '70s blues-rock. This guitar didn't fit the blues genre as much as it did the metal, but it still worked out okay. My biggest problem with this guitar is the pickups. The bridge pickup is okay, but the neck pickup is terrible. I'd recommend replacing the humbuckers with a pair of USA Gibson designed humbuckers. This would help out with the sound. However, the stock pickups could be a whole lot better. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action seems a little higher than normal, which I like. As far as pickup ajustment goes, I'd have to say that I am slightly dissapointed. The neck pickup keeps on falling downward, and I can't do anything to help this. This is the biggest flaw in this catagory. The pickup selector also seems a little bit too loud. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The finish of this guitar has begun to wear. However, I have owned it for 2 and a half years, so I can't say that it didn't last long. For a guitar made outside of the states, the finish lasted a long time. I have played Live with this guitar, and it didn't show any problems. It could've sounded better, but as far as durability goes, this guitar worked out great. // 8

Overall Impression: The Epiphone G-310 works out great for a first electric guitar. In my mind, this guitar's sound could be a little better. Replace the pickups and you should be okay. The pickups are my only true complaint about this guitar. I like the SG body style, and the feel of the action. I fell in love with this feel so much, that my next guitar was a Gibson SG Classic. Of course the Gibson is better, but the Epiphone is the next best thing. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: Martin259, on june 26, 2008

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Sound: I play a wide varity of music, With a Range from jazz to nu-metal, I'd say this guitar is very good. You can make the Guitar sound very flat and boring, Or turn the tone Control to 10 and get a bright, Lovely, Rich sound. I have played bass for 3 years, And Do not have a guitar amp yet, So I have a Fender Rumble 15 amp, and a Boss ME-50 effects pedal. Overall, This guitar fits my style of music perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is what let the guitar down. When I plugged the guitar in I heard a lot of crackling, I unplugged the guitar and the Jack came out. So I had a look inside and the Jack would not even fit the guitar properly, So I had to go out and buy a new one. Despite getting a new jack, It still fails to connect or to produce enough volume. I also experience a lot of fret buzzing and had scratches were everywhere when I got it. There is a lot of crackling switching between pickups, Especially when you try and play Rage Against The Machine songs and one pickup is off and the other is on 10. Another poor thing is that the guitar will tilt when you play stood up, because there is a lot more weight on the head/neck. This let the Guitar down for me and really disappointed me, A complete and utter let down. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I would not play this guitar at a gig, it fits my style very well and sounds very nice. i can give it a bright, rich sound, or make it sound flat, the pick ups let me play with either a "rhythm" or "treble" sound, or both. That is what makes me think "it's perfect for a gig!" But I am not sure as to how long it is going to last, It was poorly made and the Jack keeps contently failing for me. Which makes me think "no, I wouldn't take it to a gig because what's going to happen if they guitar brakes in the middle of the gig?" // 8

Overall Impression: I play a huge range of music, all the way for jazz to nu-metal, it works well. Works great with my Boss ME-50 effects pedal, and aright with my bass amplifier (Fender Rumble 15). I have only played for a month, and Done bass for 3 years. I love the tone control over it, I can make it sound so amazing, so rich, so bright. But I do not like everything, seeming though I had to buy a lot of parts for it to work and yet it still lags occasionally. When buying this Guitar I had a look at some B\.C\. Rich guitars, I always dream of Ibanez gear, but could not afford it so I went for the cheapest thing I could find. I just wish this Guitar had been made better, that's the only thing which upset me about it. If it wasn't for that this would have been perfect for me. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: Pillsburry, on july 31, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Freind

Features: For the price, you really can't do much better. While I would personally recommend changing the pickups, this is still a pretty nice guitar for the buck. // 7

Sound: This is where this guitar falls short of the mark. The stock pickups aren't very versatile or pleasurful to listen to. Not very much variety at all when it comes to this guitar. When used with a clean sound, it just sounds like fat rubbish. No clarity at all. It can handle high distortion levels without being overly noisy, but this guitar still wouldn't satisfy those looking for a true SG sound. Pickup replacement recommended. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar was a little bit above what the average guitar is set up as. The pickups could have been adjusted much better. The neck pickup simply needs constant adjusting. The pickup selector also seems to be a little loud at times. The finish is a very pretty midnight black color. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've played one gig with this guitar, and that was when I played a 25 minute opening act. It lasted nicely. This guitar does go out of tune quite a bit, but that is expected for the price. Overall, I can depend on this guitar pretty nicely. I've never ran into any Durability problems other than what I have explained in the section above. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar would be a decent guitar if you play hardcore/metal rock, however, if you are to the point where you are playing with other people in a band, I would look much further. This guitar is a great beginners guitar. Compared with other guitars in the price range, this one is defiantly above average. I love the action. Overall, if you are looking to get your first electric guitar, make it this one. If you are looking to get a 2nd or 3rd guitar, look further or replace the pickups. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: fyrefish, on november 03, 2008

Features: Mine is a 2006 model, rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, Dot fret markers, SG body is mahogany, Antique white, with black full pick-guard, two black ceramic humbucker pick-ups, tune-o-matic bridge, three way switch: treble, rythmn, four black speed knobs, volume for each pick-up, and tone for each. // 8

Sound: I use a Marshall MG50DFX with it, and that lets the pickups really growl in anything from a classic crunch sound to metal. the action is high, but the neck is wide so it's great for bending (which I do a lot of) Like playing David Gilmour style (rivaling is Strat) but it's not so great for speed, although I can play Slash solos well with it, not so sure if shreddin hi-speed metal would work so well with it... it It has some issues with picking up EM interference, but it's usually preety quiet. I actually picked up a radio station with it for a while... but I think that was just the patchcord. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: everything was well set up, except there was a few small problems with it when I bought it; the socket jack comes lose easily, so the wires broke quickly, but since iv'e re-sautered them, they've never broke again. the g tuning peg came a bit on the lose side, but it just means that string needs to be tuned more often. one of the knobs also broke off, but iv'e replaced it. the neck is a bit on the weak side, easily bending and bending the pitch, but on the bright side it's useful if I incorporate that in my playing. only flaw in build is the top guitar strap button was put on slightly crooked, but that's only esthetic, and it's on the back. the guitar itself looks beautiful, and quite original with it's ceramic pickups and clean cream finish. people always ask me where I got it! // 7

Reliability & Durability: It had some problem with the things that Broke, but it seems reasonably solid. strap buttons are really strong, I could never see them failing. the finish is really thick, it still has the same Shine it had when I got it a year ago, no damage. the pickguard is a bit scratched up, but that's after all what they're for. I'm a bit paranoid about the neck cracking because of it's weakness, but it has yet to. // 8

Overall Impression: it plays really well, perfectly suited for classic rock, blues, and even metal. if it where stolen or lost, I would probably buy a SG Special, depends on what's in the store:P One of my friends bought a black 2003 Fender Telecaster, and despite it costing 1000 dollars, and sounding very clean and in tune, the Epiphone SG is a lot easier to play lead with, and honestly looks nicer. the only thing I wish it had was MOP inlays on the fretboard, and may be a whammy. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: indoninja, on november 17, 2008

Features: Pretty nice features, there's nothing more else on any higher brand Gibsons. They're all chrome, not fake painted plastic, so you don't have to worry about that. Everything is holding up, bridge gets filthy after a while though. // 8

Sound: It sounds great for all rock, you can go from metal to soft rock in a breeze. I play a lot of rock, a little punk, metal, and it sounds great. It can crank out some serious distortion or tone, whatever you need. I have a Roland Cube (20X) and they sound great. Distortion could be a little better, but that's mostly the amp. Sounds great with a crybaby, especially on your clean channel. It has a nice sound, just make sure you don't bump that E string while play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory strings weren't great, you might want to change them soon. The bridge pickup is a little too close to the strings but it's not a problem while playing. All of the mechanics were in place and work fine, though I did have to super glue one of my knobs on (kept falling off). All of the wood is fine, but if you go for black you'll have to clean it frequently due to smudges. Watch out for water - it'll rust your pick guard screws. My bridge had a little blemish that was breaking my strings but a quick slice of the knife fixed that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardware will definitely last, the only thing slowing up is the jack, it's wobbling now so I have to be careful with shoving my cable in there. I've had it for a year and haven't had to take it to the shop yet, so I guess that's pretty good. The strap buttons aren't great, you should probably get strap locks, but you should do that anyway. I've dropped it a few times and it's survived. It can handle breakdowns =P // 9

Overall Impression: This is my first guitar, it sounds great for rock and I can't put it down. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and it's been with me for whatever style I need to play. It'll crank out blues, funk, metal, soft rock, folk, whatever you want. Definitely at least as versitile as a Strat. I might buy it again, it depends on my budget. If I had more time to save money, I might go for something higher end, but I'll know I could all ways fall back on this one. The only thing I wish it had was a whammy bar, damnit Gibson. People all ways ridicule me for having an Epi, but I know it's just as good as a Gibson. I played it right along side a $1, 000 Parker and a $3, 000 Les Paul and sounded fine. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: UHATEIT, on august 25, 2009

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: The guitar seems to be very well built. For a cheap price it feels well made a well put together. The dual humbucker pickups and the selector work well, the tune-o matic bridge is a great bridge that allows you to lower the action very easily and get it set to where you feel best suited. The bodystyle is great! I used to hate the look of the SG but this thing really grew on me and looks evil which is essential when playing hard rock music. // 8

Sound: This plays my music style well. I enjoy metal/grunge type music so I like the bite and distortion, I don't play anything clean at all so if this cannot play clear tones I would have no idea, I always turn up the Drive and the distortion to get the fuzzy angry sounds. I play this with a Line 6 Spider III amp which has tons of adjustments that make the sound of the guitar very enjoyable. I abso use a Line 6 Pocket POD which has over 300 tones built into it so I can always seem to get the tone that i want out of it with only minor adjustments. I honestly didn't notice a huge different when going from the middle click on the 3-way switch to the rhythm setting, it didn't have much of a difference in that department, but the treble switch setting it bright and angry. The sustain on the guitar is nice as well. Some say a bolt on neck will not sustain well but I have no issues with that. I don't get the many ranges of a 5-way selector and 3 single coil pickups that you may get out of a Strat, but the wuality of the sound and the bite and anger I get it great from this as I play anything distorted and nothing clean at all. For the price the pickups rock for stockers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The initial setup from the factory was a tad bit too high for me, so I had a friend at work who has been playing for over 25 years and has a degree from Musicians Institute and had worked in guitar stores for years setup the guitar for me and change the strings to make it perfect for me. For those too cheap to spend the time or money to get a setup you are totally missing out. When a guitar is setup right for you the playability is amazing! The only issue that I have had thus far with it is that the imput cable portion where the guitar cord goes into was loose. I had to tighten it with a wrench and it never came loose after that, but then I noticed it was cutting out all the time. So I opened it up and I cannot seem to find the issue at all, everything it tight and connected, maybe it's my monster cables, but the thing will short/cut out and sometimes I need to turn the cable around or pull it out slightly for it to register the sound. I'm not sure what the issue is but I work around it by moving the cable and pulling out out a little bit, and this could be a cable issue and not a guitar issue tho I'm not sure. As for Finish, I have seen some guitars in the cheap category that have crappy finish qualities or blurred/ripply paint, but I must have scored well because mine is glossy and smooth and no blur or foggy/hazzy clear coat by mine. I personally wish it had better color options like the G400 does, especially the worn brown and alpine white colors. Mine is gloss black which looks killer but its a pain to keep clear and I find myself dustiny it off and wiping down marks all the time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live so I cannot tell how this would be live. But the hardware seems to be pretty clean and smooth on this thing, the wood doesn't appear to be cheap at least that I can tell, and all the chrome parts on the guitar are glossy and look smooth to me. I think the paint seems like it will hold up well and shouldn't fade or wear thin with lots of playing. I am paranoid about keeping things clean so when I look that the paint I check for dullness and its always been glossy at the points where I rest my hands. The pickguard shows scratches, but then again they all do that, and the paint is glossy black which can show minor scratches very easily, all the more reason I wish they made this in Alpine white or in Worn brown colors. // 8

Overall Impression: I use this to play metal, grunge, and anything with some distortion to it and it plays that perfectly fine. I've only been playing on this thing since January of 2009 so about 6-7 months but it has been nothing but a pleasure to play minus the cutting in and out of the sound from the amp imput which I don't know if is part of the guitar itself or if it's the cable that I am using that is causing this issue. But I work around it by moving the cable or pulling it out slightly and it stays fine after that. If you are someone looking for an inexpensive guitar, many often go with the Squier Strat so they get that Fender style look, however my wife has one of those and the thing does not seem to play nearly as smooth or as well as this Epiphone does by any means. This is an all around great choice for a cheaper guitar and seems to play great and is holding up well. When I bought this it was before I knew too much about guitars so I hadn't checked out the G400 which is only slightly more than this. BUT having played both the G310 and the G400, the G310 plays better and sounds better while the G400 looks better with the chrome pickup covers and the better color selections. I love the sound this thing makes, I the sound that I need and the looks of an SG without the real SG expensive price, I just wish I could get this in a better color like I mentioned before the Alpine White or the worn brown color as I love both of those colors a lot but they just don't make them in this G310 model, only in the G400 model. // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2009

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: I bought this guitar a couple of years ago (it's a May 2007 model). I believe it was made in Korea. It is Vintage white and has an alder body a bolt on mahogany neck with all chrome hardware - very nice to look at. It has 2 Open Coil HBS Pickups that are passive and uses the Epi tune-o-matic bridge. There are twenty-two frets and the neck is fairly slim, so easier to play. It has four controls: The rhythm pickup treble and volume and the neck pickup treble and volume. There is also a three way pickup selector: bridge, both, rhythm. Standard strap buttons. // 9

Sound: Sound is great for the price. I play rock, metal and alternative and it can do them all. I use it with a Marshall MG15CD for practice and a Marshall TSL100 at gigs and it gives a great sound without any effects. I bought a Zoom G2.1u effects pedal only recently, as i found it was a bargain for what it did, and now the sounds produced can be fantastic. The one problem i have found with my guitar is that when playing some notes on the 5th and 6th strings without an amp is that there is an audible buzz, but this is only a small problem and i can easily Live with it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws in the guitar itself when it came. Unfortunately, the box and thus the guitar was a little damp. I had to do nearly all of the setting up myself, i.e. adjusting pickups, tuning, raising the bridge, etc, but i can't say that i didn't expect this and it didn't overly bother me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar a lot Live, simply because it was my first and i love it!! So far, nothing has gone wrong with it (touch wood!). The pickups do have a tendancy to move a fair bit when hit but other than that it's great. I've replaced the strings as a couple broke early on but that was the only thing i've done. It's survived me taking it apart for a service and putting it back together. Even though i do a lot with it on stage the strap buttons haven't let me down once and although i've only dropped it once, it's absolultely fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play this and sing with my group and i can't really wish for more. The only other guitar i own that has anything on it really is the Fender Jaguar HH, which i also use for some songs. I've been playing for around three years and used Acoustic before moving to my Epi. I would be mortified if it were to be lost or stolen as i have grown very fond of it. If nothing else, this guitar is fantastic value for money, even if you do have to fiddle with it before starting. But it will honestly take anything you throw at it and keep playing afterward. This is a recommended guitar for beginners and pro players alike. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: scrubzyful, on october 05, 2009

Price paid: A$ 329

Purchased from: Allans Music, Sydney

Features: I think that this guitar was made in 2006, it has 22 frets which play nicely. It is Solid top and is red, it looks nice but the pick guard scratches way too easily. It has a tune-o-matic stop tail bridge in chrome which is sweet for resting your hand on while palm muting. The pickups are just stock epiphones, same as the Les Paul Special I think, nothing special but they sound alright. The pickup switch is 3 way and is easy to move around so you can change tones easily while playing a song. // 7

Sound: I play metal and the guitar suits this style really nicely, this guitar is very versatile and can easily play blues or jazz as well. I'm playing this guitar through my Fender Frontman 15R which has some Killer distortion. This guitar can go pretty loud which I find is good when playing a gig at school or something. This guitar can also handle my cry-baby wah really well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar as an in-floor demo which means it wasn't set up very well, it had been knocked about at the store which meant the input jack actually fell into the guitar while I was playing, some wiring around the pickup selector was also loose. The action on the guitar when I bought it was way too high but was easily fixed. Also the wood on the neck (mostly close to the frets) looks really dodgy. If you have the resources to set up a guitar properly then this guitar will reward you if you put work into it setting it up. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The hardware is solid apart from volume and tone knobs (I got them replaced). The strap buttons are crap but it should be good for Live playing if you get strap locks put on. The finish seems thin and would probably wear off within 10 years. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar has a really good sustain which helps with playing metal, I have peen playing for around 2-3 years and own a squire Bullet Strat and a Fender sonoran Acoustic. If this guitar were stolen or lost I would probably save up and buy an LTD Strat or something. I love the sustain and hate how it was set up (damn allans...). I wish this guitar had better pickups... // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: gunsnrosesrock:, on november 03, 2009

Features: It has 22 frets and all of them are easy to access with minimal effort. It has a quite fat neck but is still easy to hook your thumb over the top for playing chords with a louder, strong sound a chords such as: D -200232- instead of -xx0323- it has a stronger more powerful sound. Mine has an alpine white finnish and looks really origional but it's hard to see the craftmenship of the devil-horn cutaway. Its a SG body that has a pick guard that covers underneath the strings and out the other side unlike some Epiphone or Gibson SG guitars that just cover one side. A Tune-O-Matic bridge that has an end bit the an small gape of strings then where the strings end so it gets a whammy bar sound when you play a not then push up and down on the bit if string inbetween the two bridge parts. It has a 3-way selector Switch (treble, rythm, middle) thats by the four sound knobs ( two volumes for the two pickups and two tone knobs) that is easy to change in the middle of a gig, song, recording but isnt as easy as any les paul style because it's the other side of the guitar. it has two open coil pickups that have great sound punk, blues rock n' roll. // 9

Sound: I like playing older classic hard rock like led zeppelin, guns n roses, ACDC and many other older stuff and it suits rock n roll and hrad rock when it's slightly distorted. It doesnt suit Indie styles and if I was playing Indie tracks in a concert I wouldn't choose it but it still really good to practice with in my room with either a 15 watt practice amp or a 35 watt amp. It suits many stills but I would stick to classic rock, punk, hard rock, rock n roll and grunge because it plays well slightly distorted with full middle and treble but a little less than halfway with bass and if you want reverb or distortion or wah pedals it works really well with it. It not too noisy and as I said distortion, treble, middle, reverb soung good full with a bit of bass. Playing classic riffs sound rich with a background band and play well in power ballads and guitar solos. tapping is okay but bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides sound great for soloing. But overall a good variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All good fit and finnish apart from around the pickups the fabric is a little loose and cut badly but that didn't put me off because it has a really reliable pickup Switch thats steady and well stuck ind ans screwed on tight. the pick guard is bolted on tight abd doesn't move at all and is thick and protects the body from pick scratches. The bridge is a little loose but is easy to fix on and after that its perfect. The volume knobs and tone knobs are fitted securely and stay at the place there turned and don't move when accidentally flicked. The jack is not too tight so may need ajusting before the screw falls off. Strap holders are good but the one at the end of the body is kind off loose, the other one is at the metal plate on the back the holds the neck in. Machine heads are fine, normal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's strong and will withstand Live playing but I recomend a straplok. I have used it every day since may 2009 and the only thing gone wrong is one of my high e string brock and the jack input screw falling off. Strap buttons solid and in fine order but when playing Live use a straplok. I would use it in a gig but I would have a backup because once I was playing a particularly long gig and a string broke at the beginning but I think that was because the string was old and cheap. I recommend Gibson brite wires they last long and if I put on all six new brite wires before a concert I wouldn't bother with a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock n roll/hard rock and the guitar is perfect for me and if it were stolen as soon as I had enough money I would buy it again. I use a jim Dunlop strap that says: police line do not cross and the end bits suit the strap buttons perfectly. I use a bheringer distortion pedal, a 15 watt internet bought practice amp, a strong 35 watt concert amp, two 3m black leads and a 9m brown one, a Daphon wah pedal, thick, heavy picks, staploks and Gibson brite wires. I looked for many other SGs, flying Vs, les pauls and this one came to my attention for it's good looks origional finnish, great playing ability and the amazing fretboard. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2009

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Some Guy

Features: I do belive this is a 2003 model, it says made in china on a sticker above the bolt-on neck plate. -22 frets -Alder Body, Rosewood Neck -Jet Black finish -SG style -Tun-o-matic Bridge -Passive, HBS pickups -3 way selector Switch, 2 tone knobs, 2 vol. knobs -Non-locking tuners -Soft-case included // 8

Sound: I'm a Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Aerosmith, Beatles, Rolling Stones kinda guy, I play their songs through a Peavy Viper amp, and it sounds rather unclean, like there's a haze in the noise that doesn't give you that clear sound, its very noisy, but it isn't too bad if you get used to it, this guitar has a rather Spread out variety, anywhere from metal to blues, it can accomplish it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Being one of my first guitars when I bought it, it wasn't set up, just took it out of the bag, tuned it and played it. The Bridge is ok, the body is ok, but the tuners constantly loose their tune, and the neck is insane loose, you can lean forward with the guitar in your lap and the note will drop up a pitch, you bend the neck and you have to retune the guitar. The controls were pretty much perfect, nothing wrong with them, exept I did need to get a new locking nut for the jack hook-up, the original had stripped out, according to long and mcquade, it happens quite commonly, so they have many in stock. There's been nothing wrong with the body, it just fingerprints easily but nothing you can do about that. I've never had any strap troubles, its never come off the strap and hit the floor. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Personally I would never, EVER take this guitar out on a stage unless I was trying to make wierd sounds for the audience. I would always have another guitar, if I had to use this one I would have a backup, maybe two, nearby. I've never had any problems with the straps coming off. The finish doesn't vary very easily, you'd probably have to play the hell out of it to make it wear off. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for my style of music, its a very universal guitar, despite that its just cheap, I will always remember it as my first electric guitar, If somebody asked me if this would be a good guitar, I'd say it would be good as a first gutiar. However if you have more than a year of experience under your belt, I suggest you hit another review. I wish it had better pickups so it wouldn't sound like shit coming through a Peavy amp. // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: Sickster, on december 08, 2009

Features: Standard features in Vintage White (code word for Cream), 2 open coil humbucker pick-ups, no pick up covers, I wouldn't mind getting them tho, a lovely fat necks good for my big hands, 22 frets, Alder Solid Body, Mahogony Neck, rosewood fretboard, The neck is bolt on which is lovey if I ever wanted to Switch it for a longer neck, it has a Tune-o-Matic bridge with Stopbar Tailpiece, Dot inlays(woudln't mind changing tho) // 10

Sound: I mainly play metal(Lamb Of God, As I Lay Dying) through a Line 6 Spider III 150 watt, And I could not be happier, I have tried a Dean razor back, and still went back to this guitar, for other sounds like rock, funk, and rockabilly(Satch boogie ftw), and I can still get the sound I want, The sound is a full, ballsy, heart pounding sound to it that no other guitar has that I've tried. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I mainly use the Neck pickup rather then the Bridge, only cause I do a lot of pinch harmonics, the Pick ups came factory installed, and were set perfectly, No flaws to date, No noise at all with pick selector, and all controls are very tight. All the hardware is still in mint condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does VERY well on tour, I depend on it very much, and have not gotten disappointed so far, I do not have a back up, and I am very confident it will last, It gets beaten up a lot and still sounds nice and ballsy, I have had no problems with any hardware, or the strap buttons, I can count on it to hold // 10

Overall Impression: If it were stolen, I'd find one in black, and do nothing to it, I only wish that it had more frets( 2 octave, 24 frets), other than that everything else is perfect. I play Metal, metal-core, a bit of soloing, and it passes with flying colors for sound, I do believe this guitar can be used for ANY music style. Gotta love that Crunch I get, and with distortion it sound like I can play anything. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2009

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Features: Since I bought it new, I'd guess it was made in 2009, in Indonesia. (Ick) It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. The maple neck is pretty fat as compared to other electrics that I've played. Solid alder body, which is cool. It's an SG, as you may have guessed already, I got mine with an Ebony finish, (red, and a kind of gross off-white color are options too). It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, but it's an Epiphone, so you probably guessed that too. Two stock passive open coil humbuckers. No brand name or anything, but they're okay anyway for the price of the guitar. Two tone, two volume, and a three-way selector switch, so you can get a lot of different sounds if you play with the controls. The stock tuners are okay. They'll stay in tune if you're just playing chords, but expect to have majorly retune if you try any intense bending stuff. I'd suggest replacing them with some Grovers or something. It came with a short right-angle/straight cable, but that's all. An Epiphone hard case for SGs costs $70 USD seperately, which sucks... but I guess you could always get a gig bag for cheap. // 8

Sound: I play some punk, grunge, a little metal, and I'm learning some classic rock, so I do use a lot of distortion. Being played through my $50 DigiTech Grunge pedal and my $20 (used) Peavey Backstage amp, it sounds awesome for such cheap, low-quality equipment. The clarity of the cleans never ceases to surprise me. On clean, the neck is perfect for blues, and when it's distorted, think Guns N' Roses. I use the bridge pickup for a more modern sound. It distorts nicely, and the cleans have a nice bright rock n' roll tone. Like I said, since it has two volume and two tone knobs, you can create a variety of different sounds. I'd give it a 9.5 if I could. The only thing I don't like about it was that it had/has really crappy intonation, which I'll get to in a second. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay... here comes the bad news... the factory set-up was miserable. The action was okay for me, but I'm not too picky about it. However, I had and still have issues with the intonation. For those who don't know, that means that when I play a note on the first fret, the tone isn't exactly a half-step away from the open note. In my case, it was higher. Now, I'm no expert on guitar set-ups, as this is my first electric guitar, so I haven't played with the Tune-O-Matic bridge heights, but I adjusted the individual saddles, bringing most of them as far away from the neck as possible, which should lower the strings just slightly, but that didn't quite fix it. The third string is the worst for me, which makes all the power chords that I play sound horrible unless I tune the string flat a little, at which point whenever I play it open, it sounds miserable. Most of you are probably planning to get a professional set-up, or are going to do it on your own, but for those of you who aren't, prepare to be disappointed. Fortunately, and I suppose this is because it was mailed by FedEx from Sweetwater, when the guitar arrived at my doorstep, it was completely unblemished, and since I ordered the guitar and the hard case in the same order, the awesome handlers at Sweetwater put the guitar in the case for extra protection. I highly recommend Sweetwater for guitar equipment purchases, but for those of you who have a decent music store locally, go out and actually try playing a couple guitars before you buy one. If you're from a small town like me and that's not an option, go Sweetwater. The intonation was the only issue though, as far as the setup goes. Oh, and the pickups were really close to the strings, but that was an easy fix. No worries there. A ten year-old could do it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Oookay, more bad news. From what I've heard, Epiphone wiring is fragile on almost all of their guitars. After having this guitar for about nine months, I decided to follow the advice of a guitar-genius friend and lower the pickups. The bridge pickup was fine, but something snapped loose internally on the neck pickup, which almost completely muted it. I don't have the slightest understanding of the internal wiring on a guitar, but I took it to my local music shop, and they fixed it for $10. It was just a matter of soldering something back on... I think if you know how to install pickups by yourself then you should be able to fix whatever happened on your own. The guy said it had something to do with a "volume pot." As for the strap buttons, one of them is one of the screws in the back of the bolt-on neck, so if it came loose, I would be in deep sh*t. However, I kind of doubt that will EVER happen, so that's probably not even worth mentioning. It takes some effort to get a strap on that particular button, but the other one is fine. I guess they're okay. Would I gig with it without a backup? Hmm... I wouldn't worry about it any more than I'd worry about a PRS or a Jackson or something. It doesn't have any overtly obvious flaws that would make it more unstable on stage than any other guitar. Of course, I've never jumped around my bedroom and shook it around and stuff, so I don't know if it could survive a Metallica concert. As for the finish? I've bumped the headstock into the side of my desk more times than I can count and the finish has yet to blemish or wear at all. I'm not worried about it at all. I'd say, replace the tuners if you're a serious guitarist, and definitely make sure the wiring is built to your taste before you go doing anything crazy with it. If you like a particular set of pickups, you could replace them, but I like the stock pickups just fine. It seems like you can get a lot of different sounds out of them. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play some heavier stuff, and some classic rock. Not much blues or softer stuff, but this guitar can really be made to suit most styles. Play around with the controls, like I said, and you can have any sound you want. It's a darn versatile guitar. Of course, aesthetically, the SG body and ebony finish screams goth/hardcore punk, but there are red and Vintage white finishes available too. After having played several electric guitars, (Fenders, Squiers, Epiphones, a Gibson or two), I think this guitar compares well once you overcome the technical issues. If it were lost or stolen, I think I'd buy a Greg Bennett, mainly because of price, and since it's a relatively unknown brand, the quality for the price is amazing. Still, it's a nice guitar. If Epiphone were on the scale that Greg Bennett is, the G-310 would probably be a lot cheaper, but still. As far as large brands go, I might get a Fender Fat Strat, just because I like the single coil sound as well as the sound of a humbucker, so having both (Fat Strats have an HSS configuration, if you didn't already know that) would be nice. // 8

G-310 Reviewed by: Madworldguy, on may 28, 2010

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: This guitar features everything a good guitar should have including a beautiful glossed black finish, black hardware, and scratch plate. It has 22 jumbo frets and a two way pick-up selector (Lead-Rhythm). There is a tune-O-matic adjustable bridge for setting the action low, a first class truss rod, bolt on neck that I've adjusted and am very pleased with. If well set up this guitar rarely goes out of tune and is really fun to play. The SG shape is just stunning! // 10

Sound: I can say that I am extremely happy with the sound on this guitar, the bridge pick up has a hard crunch sound perfect for hard/classic rock and even metal with a high gain amp and overdrive. The wood is great quality and produces a lovely mellow sound on the neck pick-up. The tone and volume controls allow you to create a sound of your own that is always a great quality of sound. Yes, you can play metal as I have discovered and am fully satisfied with the tones and sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I found that the guitar was surprisingly well set up coming out of the factory. I just tweaked it slightly for my own comfort and didn't even need to bother adjusting the pick-ups. I know I can really trust the site I ordered it from! There were no dints or scratches and the machine heads were nice and sturdy. The wood is excellent quality and there are no loose hardware parts. There really isn't any flaws! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Wow... All I can say is that I fully trust this guitar as it is great for live playing (as I have discovered). It stays well in tune and there isn't a scratch on it. The only thing is that the washer nut fell out once but that is it (I whacked it off the door) and there still were no dints. The finish looks nice and is always a crowd pleaser, and a wouldn't need a backup unless I needed a Floyd Rose bridge. It is rich in sound and very comfortable to play sitting down or standing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good guitar to play for any type of music. It is comfortable and I'd definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost. Iv'e grown quite attached to it and wouldn't replace it with another model. I think it is just as good as the Gibson brand if set up to a comfortable, personal standard. Really Excellent, and I can't find any problems with it. Thanks. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2010

Price paid: € 180

Purchased from: K'n'B Music, Maynooth, Ireland

Features: I don't know when this guitar was made, but I would say it is recently. I think it was made in Indonesia.It has 22 frets, I'm not sure what type. It has a bolt on mahogany neck and an alder body. My one has a black finish which seems to stand up to wear and tear well. Iit's body is modelled on a '67 SG. It has a tune-o-matic bridge.Volume and tone controls for both pickups. 3 way selector switch. 2 open coil humbucker pickups, not sure what make, but nothing too fancy. I don't know the brand of tuners but it seems to stay in tune well. I bought it on its own, I think a cable might have come with it but that was it. // 8

Sound: It seems to suit most styles. I mostly play alot of rock and it sounds good the vast majority of the time. I play it through a Zoom G2.1U multi effects unit and a Roland cube practice amp.the guitar can sometimes be a bit noisy but usually it's fine. It has quite a full sound. You can get lots of vareity between the 2 pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has great low action, without any buzz (most of the time!). The pickups were very good, I didn't have to make any adjustments. The only thing I could find wrong with it was a pair of really awful strap buttons, but a pair of strap locks sorted that out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't playedd this guitar live yet but I would say it'd be ok. The hardware seems pretty good but you can some times have a problem or two with the jack socket. As i've said before the strap buttons are fairly crap. This guitar is very dependable. The finish seems quite hardwearing. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock and it sounds good for this. I've been playing for 4 years. I also own a cheap Strat copy and two acoustics, a Zoom G2.1U mfx unit and a Roland cube amp. If it was stolen I would buy it again. I love this guitar. There is nothing about it I hate. I love the way it looks sounds and feels. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2010

Features: I can't even remember when this was made, where this was made, how much I paid for it..even when I got it, but I do know that this guitar rocks. Has a stop/tuneomatic bridge, four 500k vol/tone pots, decent sounding passive Epiphone pickups..the neck pickup is great, so smooth just perfect for leads and perfect for clean as well. The bridge wasn't hot enough for my taste, but that was just me. It doesn't have locking tuners, it stays in tune decently. The neck is mahogany, very nice, smooth, fat, very playable and comfortable. I changed alot on this guitar, I put locking grover tuners and changed just the head part of it to a more Vintage gibson-ish looking one just for looks, put a custom made tailpiece tremelo, rolling tuneomatic style bridge, ivory hand carved string nut (like at the top of the neck..you know what I'm talking about), put a zebra seymore duncan sh5 in the bridge and a dragonfire zebra screamer in the neck, push/pull tone pots for coil tapping, and reversed the toggle Switch EVH style (up being the bridge and down being the neck, its just easier to play in my opinion)..this guitar shreds. A GREAT guitar to mod up and customize. // 8

Sound: Got this guitar a while back and have played it through so many amps. Before I changed the pickups they had a real classic sound to them. Not so great for metal..but good for hard rock, if you have a very hi gain amp then just boost up the gain and problem solved. They werent very noisy which was great. The stock pickups can pretty much do any style depending on the amp and effects you are using. They are very Vintage voiced. So keep that in mind if you are buying this guitar. I'm currently playing this through a custom built head, very very Mesa Boogie triple recto sounding and it screams. I aboslutely adore the sound of this guitar. I do admit that its might be the seymore duncan sh5..so with the stock pickups I'd give this guitar about a 7, after my customizations 10 :P // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very very well from the factory. The pickups were adjusted just right, no cosmetic problems, everything was wired great, every little detail was paid attention to and this guitar could run neck in neck with its big brothers over at Gibson (of course with a pickup change). The quality of this guitar is phenomenal. The finish is nice and even, very smooth. Also VERY attractive when worn down after years of playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Trust me this guitar can withstand almost anything. Its been gigged with so many times, dropped, kicked, hit, and even survived being thrown without anything but a minor scratch. Its just a tough guitar, I always go for this guitar first when it comes to playing shows, I bring my Charvel for a back up! The only reason I even bring a backup is if a string breaks and I need something to play while our tech guy restrings that for me. The hardware will last unless your trying to break it. If your not smashing the tuners with a hammer they will last, I changed all the hardware, but that was just personal preference you know? The strap buttons are pretty good, never had them give out on me the entire time I've had this guitar. The finish is pretty good, but it will wear out after alot of playing, but its so rock and roll. I personally love the way this guitar has turned out. I got in in Vintage white, and the areas where i rest my arm while playing or hit alot with my pick the finish has worn off and you see the wood of the body..and I love it. I'd rather have a worn down SG than a brand new perfect looking one any day, I just think it looks cool. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to death metal, and this guitar will do anything if you are willing to put some cash into it. New pickups and coiltapping will make this one of the most versitile guitars you can get. I have been playing since elementary school, I own other guitars from ESP, Charvel, Fender, an Epiphone Les Paul jr (modded up of course), and various effects (your basics, crybaby wah, tube screamer, all that stuff..) and this guitar has to be my personal favorite from them all. If this guitar was stolen I would without a doubt go get another one while I was hunting down whoever stole it. I love just everything about it, the neck is perfect, the layout of the knobs and pickup swtich are perfectly placed, and I almost forgot to mention that the bridge is placed way differently from Gibson sgs and Epiphone g400s. It is placed WAY better in my opinion and way more comfortable. I was going to get a Les Paul Studio originally but then fell in love with this guitar and completely forgot the studio. The only thing that I wish this guitar had were trapizoid inlays, but I'm having them put in soon so..wishes come true. Lol If you are considering this guitar BUY IT! You wont regret it. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: dazebook, on february 09, 2011

Features: This guitar was built December of 2006. Sae Jung Plant China. I bought mine used from GC. It needed some love. It has a solid alder body with a bolt-on mahogany neck, and rosewood fingerboard with Dot inlay. Nothing fancy but it's a lower end model, so what do you expect. The Locktone Tune O Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece is nice. It comes with 2 volume, 2 tone controls and a 3 way switch. I was given the stock humbuckers along with my purchase however currently has 2 Dirty Fingers humbuckers. It has a full face pickguard single ply black/white edging but definitely single ply. The tuners are Standard Epi tuners. Economy model with economy features. Good value though, as I suggest that anyone who plans on keeping a guitar replaces some hardware whether it's decent or not. Hardware wise however, there isn't much difference between this model and higher end Epiphone or Lower end Gibsons. It's things like a set neck, finishes, etc. that you pay for but sound quality is really similar. // 8

Sound: I'll get to the meat of this particular guitar in the next area when I talk more about the hardware. The bolt-on neck doesn't seem to effect sustain as some argue alot about. I'm sure if it had a set neck it would produce more natural sustain, but there aren't any sustain "issues" that I see on this particular guitar. I get plenty. Maybe due to the aid of the Tune-o-Matic bridge. I play through an Orange Crush 15. Nice practice amp, and compliments this guitar very well. They combo up to get some nice classic british tones, some Led Zeppelin/Cream etc. As well as some nice heavy blues rock tones. I play more in the styles of The Black Keys and The Parlor Mob. With influences from classic rock to Coheed and Cambria. It suits my style well and gives a good range of tones for this style of play. It would not translate well to the stylings of your typical Strat sounds. SRV, Hendrix/ or even John Mayer to newer Clapton. If you want that sound buy a Strat and Fender Mustang amp. You'll be happier. If you want to sound like a Darth Vader metal m'ther F'er. Buy Epi/Gibson and play through a nice amp that has some bite. That is body style + amp sound. In my particular guitar, it has some upgrades. It had bad pots and some wiring screwed up from the previous owner. It has new wiring and 500k pots. It also has a Gibson Dirty Fingers pup in the bridge and a Vintage Flying V Dirty Fingers in the neck. Circa. 1983 Heritage Flying V. The neck pickup had original gold hardware(covered) and was beat up. I replaced the humbucker cover and covered the bridge pickup as well to match. The covers do change the sound ever so slightly. Tiny bit of brightness, about as much as could be compensated by putting on lighter gauge strings. So not a big difference, and well worth the look of a nice covered Gibson pickup. Both are wax potted. This is why I suggest paying the extra dough for some good pups. It can make an average or decent guitar sound like a high end beauty, because this guitar sounds like a Gibson. And sounds like a beast. These are some hot pickups and scream when you want 'em to. The Heritage Flying V from the 80's and currently the Epiphone SG Prophecy GX have this similar set up and this guitar absolutely shreds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, I bought mine used and not from factory but, I took better care of it than the previous owner and only spent about 40 bucks to fix all the issues. Seemed like he Frankenstein-ed the life out of this guitar and it has stood up like a champ. I would suggest you ask any retailer you buy an instrument from to do an initial setup for your guitar, period. Factory wise, the bridge is well constructed and firm. Neck is fast and fretwire smooth. Actually the neck is nicer IMHO than the 900 dollar Fender Strat I played at the guitar shop this last weekend. I put humbucker covers on, and put on Gibson top hat style knobs with metal inserts, as I don't like the feel of the speed knobs that come stock. Nothing wrong with them just personal preference. No rattles, intonation is great. The tuners are ok but for anyone using this in a professional setting I'd change em out just for the principle of it. It's not an expensive change and you can do it yourself pretty easy. They aren't really loose, but not tight like I like them. This can also be remedied by having them oiled and tightened by your local tech when you get a set up. Same with strap buttons, if you play live, change them. You can pick them up on internet sites cheap enough and do it yourself. It beats paying to have your axe fixed. It's principal. The jack is also a minor issue. But I've never really had a guitar you didn't have to tighten it down from time to time. Mine has just come a little loose twice recently. Everything else on this guitar is cake though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solidly built and plays well. Sounds great and will last you a long time if you take care of it and get it set up every so often. Replace the strap buttons, locking style for longevity. Replace the tuners as well and it will last you years. Mine is black. It's black. It will be black. Polish it every so often and it will always be. Black. // 10

Overall Impression: Value wise, look for it used. The only difference between this model and the more expensive SG style guitars is the bolt-on neck, and more stylish finishes. This is a great guitar and if you want it to sound like a Gibson it can. Be smart and set it up. Change a few things. Out of the box it is a great guitar for anyone from beginner to experienced. I have been playing for 15 yrs and havn't had a guitar for the last few years till i picked this one up a few months ago. I love this guitar, especially the value of some aftermarket pups and a little work. I amazingly found a great deal and made it even better. I might not buy this model new. It's expensive right off the shelf, (about 250)and you can easily find one in decent condition for the price of the SG Special (150). Just buy from somewhere with a return policy or play it first. It's a big step up from the special and a small step down from the g400 model. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: reptorroedor, on august 17, 2011

Purchased from: somewhere in California

Features: Made in Korea 1992 model was my first guitar and I still have it after 19 years. - 22 frets, mahogany body, mahogany neck,dot inlay and rosewood fingerboard - finish is gibson's ferrari red - double cutaway, 67 Standard SG's look - tune-o-matic - Passive elect. - 2 tone 2 volume, three way switch - two alnico humbuckers, non exposed coils. // 4

Sound: It suited perfect what I was looking for at the time for the bucks I had. I was looking for a 2 humbucker guitar, with 2 tone, 2 volume, classic Gibson's layout. I wanted a Les Paul Standard, and this one was a good choice for a beginner. You may feel strange yourself if you are a beginner with a pro guitar, knowing that you can't still get propper stuff out of it. After playing around with the screw for a while I got the sound I wanted, or maybe I got used to that sound I got, but still now, I would like to tune guitars that way. No matters what, after almost 20 years, you get a sound you can recognize as yours. The sounds were really nice, although compared with a Gibson. Volume and tone were crunchy when adjusting. Away from that, the guitar performed ok suporting my partner's Epi Les Paul Custom, and later a very nice 99' Gibson Les Paul Classic with ceramic humbuckers. With propper tunning I could get out a very fat sound that could emulate some jazzy stuff, but its more suitable for hard rock, punk, as I used it in my firsts bands, then I got more sophisticated, but the guitar is still the basic thing I like from a guitar, at the end there are only to kinds of guitars, Fender, Fender-like, or the Gibson, Gibson like, and I have always liked the Gibson design, feel and configuration, even in an M3, I feel strange with a strat, its a matter of taste, both musical and how the thing feels and looks on you. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was horrible although Gibson said each Epi was adjusted by US guys... That was not true I guess. That year model had non expoused coils, so you could actually raise a lot the humbuckers to the strings by playing with them and the bridge. The hardware was of less quality than that of today's models which are more gibson-like. Away from that, the tuners were of very good quality, making the guitar been tuned for enough time. The finish in red and the paint are still there, like new, the paint and the quality of the paint were impressive for a guitar in that range or any range. It looks still like new although the thing is almost 20 years old. Three way switch, tone and volume hardware were of very bad construction, crunchy and not reliable; one important thing to notice is that this is a bolt-in body/neck guitar, when the propper thing is to be glued, as the body is not designed for bolt-in. More calibration is required than in a strat/strat like guitar which has a much thicker and stronger area for that. The Strat was thought to be like that, not the SG, but its a budget version though. That issue makes access to the 21 and 22 almost impossible, and some notes do not sound well. The neck feels fantastic and the guitar has a very good feel though, I was long ago thinking of moving to a Les Paul as my partner was doing it, but, when playing with the Custom I felt like I was playing with a guitar that was more about how it looked rather than how it felt, when you get used to the lightness of the SGs and the double cutaway, you don't wanna move back to the classic Les Paul, SGs were born as cheap Gibsons, but soon they got to be a class on their own, they are lightway and practical, you can really go down there, and get a sound out of it, its not cassual that the original model was chossen by Zappa, who was more concern about sound than anything else, and for Angus young, I guess knowing he is a quite small, this guitar type is amazing for feel, weight and access. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I thought it was not gonna make it to the second year due to the not well resolved construction of the body-neck. But is still here! So, I guess is reliable enough. Not for stage, but I have used it... And is for playing and playing till your fingers burnt, it looks impressive as well when you are 14 and your friends are with a huge collection of anonymous guitars, it says something, that you like other stuff and how the guitar looks, in red is really nice. Its after your second buy, your second guitar, for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar was not my first option but was what I could get for the money, I was in fact looking for a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but with time I knew that SGs were more suitable for me. When you buy your first guitar first thing is how much you got, then, the options are there. It was not a super cheap guitar back then, as now is. It was a cheaper option for a G400, which had a glued joint. This one has a bolt in neck body, which is the reason is cheaper, and the guitar's bigest problem. If you are about to start and you wanna make some noise on a budget figure, go and get it. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

Features: I've owned this guitar for over 2 years and it is a great beginner/intermediate guitar.It was made in 2008 ans it's got the standard controls-3 way selector, 2 volumes, 2 tones. It has 2 open coil humbuckers, 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, standard Epiphone tuners, dot inlays, tune-o-matic bridge and some brilliant tones. // 8

Sound: First thing I'm gonna say is that the sound of this guitar may possibly vary more on the amp(something I found). I use this guitar with a Marshall MG15DFX, EHX Small Clone chorus, EHX Big Muff Pi and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. It doesn't sound absolutely 10/10 through my setup but isn't the worst. I have tried it through a Blackstar HT-5 and it sounded brilliant. I'm sure it will sound just as good through any tube amp. I've got a short story to tell about my G310. One day me and my brother were fighting and it was on a stand in the corner. My brother knocked it off the stand and it just fell face first to the floor. There was a massive crack between the headstock and the neck. I glued it back on with trusty Gorilla glue and it did work. So I do still have it with the headstock glued on. It may of effected the sound and resonance of the guitar but it still plays fine. Anyway, it isn't a bad sounding instrument with some brilliant sounds for a beginner guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from what I can remember was just standard-wasn't low, wasn't high, just inbetween, and it still is now. I have never modded or had this guitar setup so it is all standard. The pickups were just slightly adjusted probably in the shop. The bridge pickup was closer to the strings than the neck pickup. I've left this as it is as I mainly use the bridge pickup. Everything was fine on the guitar, but Epiphone have been known to screw up in the factory before, so no guarantee that yours will be the same. I have recently been noticing some buzz from the high E, B and also sometimes the G string when you hit them quite hard. Not sure what this is. Epiphones are genuinely well made guitars and everything was fine when I bought it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Judging from the incident, it is a reliable guitar. Everything's sturdy on the guitar and possibly more sturdy than some of the Fender and Squier hardware. Nothing's ever come off except from when I trod on the lead and the Jack input come out. The tuners hold out well and despite the broken headstock, still keep the guitar in tune 99% of the time. Strap buttons aren't moving anytime soon, as the Alder body is really solid, I stand up most of the time with it and the strap buttons haven't moved or come loose for over 2 years now. I would use this guitar live and probably will do in the future but would bring another guitar (probably my Strat). Not because I don't trust it, it's just it doesn't suit every style and the 2 single coils and humbucker in my Strat can do much better at some of my songs, while the G310 does exceptionally well with heavier stuff. The finish is quite thick, and hasn't shown any signs of wearing at all. Still looks the same as it did from day one. A Nice and reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: It's been through some battles over the last couple of years and has held out well. I have this and a Squier Strat, and also a Fender CD100CE acoustic, both of which I did a review on. It has some good tones and covers a range of styles. It looks a bit gothic maybe, but it still looks nice. If anyone was stupid enough to take my battered G310, I probably wouldn't buy another as I am a progressing guitarist and am buying more expensive guitars now. To make it more useful for other styles, I wish it had a coil split, so you can do single coil stuff, making it that bit more versatile. Overall, some good sounds, easy to use and also reliable. // 9

G-310 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2012

Features: - Body: mahogany - Neck: mahogany, bolt-on - Scale: 24.75" - Neck Profile: Slim-Taper "D" - Nut width: 1.68 - Fingerboard: rosewood, 22 fret - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Neck Pickup: 650R humbucker - Bridge Pickup: 700T humbucker - Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic - Tailpiece: Stopbar - Controls: Neck pickup 1-Volume, 1-Tone, Bridge pickups 1-Volume, 1-Tone with full-size 500K O potentiometers - Hardware: Nickel - Tuners: Premium die-cast - Color: Ebony (EB), Red (RE) // 8

Sound: For 250, it sounds pretty damn good, the pickups are extremely versatile. I've used this on a small selection of medium range Orange, Marshall and Vox combo amps. Keep one thing in mind though, anyone who knows what good tone is will not find it with this guitar, for 250, it's a 0, but on the grand scale of things, it's a 2. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's factory set up was pretty much f'd. The action was higher than the dude who set it up in the factory when he did this. The pickups were insanely close to the strings. The neck was screwed up. I don't trust myself with truss rod adjustments and intonation, so I paid 20 bucks to have a professional do it. After the set up, I'm willing to say it's on par with a guitar that has a significantly better price point. The finish was fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Stock, the cable plug was completely screwed. If you even slightly move the cable, it cuts out. On top of that, the nut used to secure the plug came off after a week. I was pissed, but it wasn't that big of a deal, I got it fixed for 6 bucks when I got it set up. The tuners and bridge hold a tune pretty well, but they'll obviously be out done by anything on the high end of things. The strap buttons suck, and because of the bolt-on neck, I'm prevented from using strap-locks, duct tape was my friend in this situation. I would use this guitar ONLY with a backup, but I also rely on this one as a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Progressive Rock and Punk, it sounds fine, but it could be a world better. I wish I'd gone with something even lower end, I could have but the extra cash I put on this one towards my second guitar. If stolen or lost, I would probably forget about it, since I have a Gibson. I love it's looks, and like it's tone. I hate how bad it was out of the factory. If you buy this, keep in mind, modding it will make it pretty awesome. I know a dude who tossed some Duncans and a new tone switch into it, and it's on par with a low end (faded) Gibson. // 7

G-310 Reviewed by: Sirk K, on june 04, 2012

Purchased from: AltoMusic

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia, it has a mahogany bolt-on neck and body. The scale(height) is 24.75". The fingerboard is rosewood and has 22 frets, it plays really nice. The neck radius is 12 inches (GREAT reach). The look of the classic cutaway body gets a 10 on its own! This guitar has a Locktone Tuno-o-matic bridge which means great sustain and tone. It's got passive humbuckers, a 650R bridge and 700T Neck and a 3 way pickup selector. There is a tone and a volume control knob for each pickup, plastic but good quality. It came with a cable and it's pretty nice (good length). Also, the guitar just looks incredible. // 10

Sound: I'm only rating this eight because the stock pickups aren't superb. The sound is great though and believe me, it plays ANYTHING. The pickups handle everything well, but upgrade them when you can. I use a Vox AmPlug Lead and it sounds really good! I don't feel I need effects because the only effects I like, I make. The variety of sounds you can get from this beast are too long to list, and with pedals/effects forget it. The guitar is nice and quiet, no annoying hum or anything. I would COMPLETELY recommend this guitar to anyone who plays mid-high gain stuff, it redefines that area. This guitar also plays smooth stuff excellently, very warm clean tones! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up excellently except for a twanging buzz on the thin E string 1st fret. I'm getting that fixed though, nothing expensive or difficult. The guitar came with standard 9 gauge strings, not bad at all. I only rated this 9 because the buzz. Immediate 10 otherwise. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can and WILL last forever, it'll only get better with age. You may want to get new tone knobs though, in a couple years. The hardware will totally last if you don't want to upgrade. You can depend on this guitar, no backup needed. This guitar is a fraction of what it's worth, with the pickups upgraded this will stand right next to a $3000 or more SG. // 10

Overall Impression: I like mid-high gain stuff and when it comes to soloing, words don't come. I'm glad I chose this guitar as my first and I'm gonna use it forever. If it were stolen I would track it down, period. I've got to say I love it for everything, especially it's sound. The whole enchilada is a big 10/10 as soon as the pickups are upgraded!. I only wish it had come to me sooner. // 10

G-310 Reviewed by: Alexander Nero, on january 25, 2013

Price paid: € 150

Features: The Epiphone I bought was used, so I don't know where nor when it was made, nor I got any other accesory, but I gotta say that I was pretty lucky. Other than the fact that it looks amazing in its ebony shining color, this solid body guitar has 22 rosewood frets, with body and a D shaped neck built in mahogany. It's a bolt-on, it has a 24, 75' Gibson-like scale, Tune-o-Matic fixed bridge and two passive 650R and 700T humbuckers. It has 4 knobs (one for volume and one for tone for each humbucker) and a 3 way toggle to choose between bridge pick up, neck pick up or both of them. // 8

Sound: For being an entry level guitar, I have just one word: great. Of course it can't compete with brands guitar like Ibanez or ESP, but surely this guitar fits perfectly my music style. Since I'm mainly in hard playing, from hardcore punk to industrial metal to metalcore, I need a solid, simple guitar that can keep up with an extreme sound. Maybe the G-310 could seem to be too light and little to someone used to strato-like models, but even though it's a bit more little than a common Fender or an Ibanez, it doesn't affect the sound at all. The shorter scale helps with high speed playing, and the fixed bridge allows me to use heavier strings, without worrying about bending the bridge or going out of tune. The only thing I don't like is the fact that having a shorter scale, the strings are a little too loose and tend to whip on the fretboard when I'm detuning low enough (I'm constantly in drop B and the sixth string tends to hit the fretboard when I pick hard during common riffs). But maybe that's a problem with many entry level, and however it's a very little problem. I'm using it with a Boss ML-2 pedal effect and a little Yamaha G-15 amp, and even if surely I can't gig with them, it sounds great at home, for being a starting rack. I played both the neck and the bridge pick up for long enough: the neck has an enough full, crunchy tone (it seemed to be a little bright to me) and a very good clean, the bridge pick up is cutting and has good trebles, perfect with the ML-2. At high gain the sound tends to be a little confused, but after all it's an entry level played trough one of the most powerful effects and a 15 W amp, so I guess it's natural. I've tried a lots of different sounds, and the G-310 can perform properly any type of rock, from old vintage, to heavy metal to new industrial and metalcore sound. Also, she has a good clean sound, even though I've not given too much attention to it. Lately I've tried some tapping, and I can say I started loving the digital-like sound it produces trough the ML-2, resonating on the freatboard. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was used so I can't say how was the factory set up, but since it has a Tune-o-Matic bridge, with just a screwdriver you can easily change the action, as well as the pickups height. Even changing the strings is very easy and fast with this kind of bridge, and being fixed it gives you the chance to try lots of different gauges without worrying too much about the tuning. The finishes are in general well done, giving the feeling of a serious and professional instrument, with a killer and sober look. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have a really brutal style of rhythm playing, lots of downstrokes at high speed, and barely I manage to control the strenght with which I hit the strings. I can say this guitar can bear all the hits you could give like a tank. All, from the knobs to the bridge give me a feeling of solidity, and it's like it's just a one piece, from the bridge to the mechanics. Even if it was used before I bought it and, and even if I play it with the same grace of an herd of rhinos running in the savannah, this guitar doesn't have one scratch, neither the body's wood nor the plastic pickguard. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing this guitar for six months, and I can say it's perfect for starting, if you are planning to join an heavy metal or any other extreme band. It's very simple, with balanced skills, maybe not exceeding in any of them but this make this guitar the fittest choice for someone who has just started playing, and wants to discover his real sound. If it were stolen clearly I won't buy another, but not for the guitar, it's just because it's an entry level, and growing up I will surely need a more specific model, like a neck-trough ESP or a Schecter. But among the entry level models, in my opinion it's one of the best rhythm-made guitar you will find at a low price, and I really recommend to anyone who wants to start playing Metallica, or Rammstein, or Slipknot. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014